Lidl Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 23, 2017

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jesper Hojer

Pros
  • Good Pay - Easy progression (with the right attitude) (in 46 reviews)

• Sehr gute Bezahlung (mit steigerung der Gehaltsstufe jeweils nach einem Jahr), sehr freundliche Kollegen, gute Entwicklungsm (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance isn't there right now, but its a given due to expansion (in 56 reviews)

• Long hours and fragmented head office (in 67 reviews)

"Best career decision I have made!"

Current Employee - Advertising Department in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Advertising Department in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Lidl full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, interesting work - with a new US brand, great benefits, ability to learn the business and move up quickly. Camaraderie. Lots of exposure.

Cons

Yes, Lidl is a rapidly growing company w/ some growing pains, but the people writing the disgruntled reviews must be lazy or negative people in general. Yes, its a very fast paced environment but the majority of people I work with are driven, talented and positive! Work hard, play hard.

Advice to Management

Offer more development opportunities/ training to employees who want to grow professionally.

2. "Working at Lidl"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Graham, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Graham, NC

I have been working at Lidl full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lidl promotes from within and provides me with opportunities for continued growth and professional advancement.

Cons

Working in such a fast paced, growing company can be challenging at times, but having my team support me in reaching my goals is rewarding.

"IT"

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Lidl (Less than a year)

Pros

Great experience so far working on the IT department. Solid IT team with diverse backgrounds and experienced individuals. The company seems to be very promising. I like the fact that they want all things to be done right, regardless of how much the cost may be.

- Good Benefits, compensation, 401k and PTO
    - Great place to learn new technologies and a lot of room for growth
    - Very diverse company with people from all over the world
    - Opportunites to travel and to learn the German language

Cons

As the company is growing rapidly more employees are needed as we are understaff. ( like most departments)

Advice to Management

Stop filling senior mangaging positions with Europeans when you have perfectly capable American employees working countless hours doing the work required of those positions already.

5. "Nice path to learn the tricks of how a store works"

module.emp-review.current- - Management in Belgium, WI
    module.emp-review.current- - Management in Belgium, WI

I have been working at Lidl (Less than a year)

Pros

No routine job, nice salary and company car. A lot of meetings that give you nice insights although you're not really in the management yet

Cons

Lot of effort and more hours because your salary is based on a fictive amount of hours. The company tends to lack of communication sometimes.

"Logistics"

Pros

Great benefits, competitive salary and substantial vacation time.

Cons

Long hours at times, but that comes with working for a company that is in the middle of an expansion. period

"Lots of Pros"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Pros

As others have mentioned, benefits are good - great health insurance coverage, fully vested 401k, and company cars for colleagues above a certain level. Lidl US also invests heavily in employees: free 1x1 German language classes during working hours for many colleagues, and numerous opportunities to travel to Europe for training. The company is taking recent feedback to heart and has begun implementing changes to improve work-life balance. Leadership is largely European, but is working hard to understand and adapt to American business culture. Personally, I love my job. I come in every day knowing I will work hard, but also knowing that every day will be unique and interesting, and that my hard work will be recognized. I am a woman and have been with the company less than a year, but recently broached the topic of applying internally for another role (effectively a promotion) and have received nothing but support from my superiors.

Cons

Lidl US can feel like a start-up - yes, it is the daughter of a huge international company, but many policies and procedures are still being developed from scratch here. That can be exciting, but if you want structured tasks and 100% predictability at work, this environment may not be for you. Our 'start-up feel' also means that yes, there is a lot to do, and this can lead to some long hours. The company is growing quickly, and there is room for improvement in internal communication, especially between departments.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to employees and adjusting policies in ways that promote flexibility and work-life balance.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Lidl (More than a year)

Pros

Very dynamic company
    Financially very strong
    Great colleagues
    Experienced line manager
    At the start of something that might add some spice to the grocery store market
    Very diverse
    Cool and modern open office
    Working hours are really not that bad...

Cons

Being a European, not always easy finding middle ground between 'our' culture and the US culture.
    Some loss of autonomy due to International standards.
    Not yet as efficient as we have it in Europe

Advice to Management

Watch the cost structure and be critical about expenses. Delegate less important decisions to management and stay focused on the main strategy.

"Land of opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Lidl full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunities for advancement and international travel. I was hired for my US expertise and I'm empowered to do my job.

Cons

It is a startup in the US so it has its challenges, particularly having European leadership who still struggles to understand the US at times.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

I really like working for this company, I have great colleagues, we get along very well and it is a very respectful environment. We go to happy hours and get along well, also outside of work.
    We have the opportunity to participate in trainings and develop our skills in workshops.
    It is just an very exciting surrounding and you get to work on very interesting projects, when you think about what this company wants to achieve in the US market.
    The company does cool stuff like free yoga classes, they get you a discounted gym membership, they organize events for the employees,..
    Benefits are really not bad at all. Company Car, good Salary.
    Teamwork is highly encouraged, which is the way to go in my opinion.

Cons

You really can create something here, since so much needs to be developed and implemented - you can leave a footprint with your work, meaning you are responsible for big projects.
    Does that come with working hard? Yes.
    But also it is very rewarding when you see what impact you actually do have.
    Do I sometimes work over hours? Yes, but not everyday / every week.
    I am responsible for my own projects, so I can decide how I divide my time - very independently.

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees, why they leave and make an effort.
    It does work!

"Exciting undertaking with great professional opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Lidl full-time

Pros

Food brings people together, and at Lidl US we are working to improve our relationship with it -- the quality, the price, the convenience, and the way we shop for it.

My experience at Lidl has been nothing short of outstanding: Great colleagues. Challenging projects. A company that invests in you professionally. Good work-life balance.

Lidl US is truly a place where you can make a difference: we have big ambitions and are just getting started. I feel fortunate to have this opportunity and to be involved right now.

Cons

We're just starting our engines and are building and learning as we grow. It's as much an opportunity as it is a challenge, but for those of us who like to see the fruits of our labor, we don't yet have any stores. I can't wait to actually shop in them!

Advice to Management

Keep improving interdepartmental communications; it's important and helpful to know what our colleagues in different departments are up to.

Showing 240 of 1,013 reviews