Lidl Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 26, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jesper Hojer

Pros
  • Good Pay - Easy progression (with the right attitude) (in 47 reviews)

• Sehr gute Bezahlung (mit steigerung der Gehaltsstufe jeweils nach einem Jahr), sehr freundliche Kollegen, gute Entwicklungsm (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance, expect to work in excess of 60 (in 60 reviews)

• Long hours and fragmented head office (in 68 reviews)

"Horrendous place to work"

Former Employee - Deputy Store Manager in Ireland, IN
    Former Employee - Deputy Store Manager in Ireland, IN

I worked at Lidl full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was a job, paid the bills for a while. Honestly the only positive thing I can say.

Cons

Bully-boy management style rife throughout the organisation, old school scaring and threatening of employees. Pass-the-buck Store Managers looking to find fault and blame for own shortcomings at every turn. Huge staff turnover, staff morale is on the floor. The worst experience of my 15 years working, by a mile. Laughable attempts to cover up the negative feedback from current and former employees as 'not being able for hard work' or 'you don't get paid for drinking coffee'. Regularly worked 60+ hours per week, still never enough. Awful, truly awful place to work. STAY AWAY

Advice to Management

Move into the 21st century. Bullying, threatening of staff will only work for so long. Poor managers in most stores, looking to cover their own backsides and blame junior staff or their deputy. (I was told to do this by the district manager). Constant fear and complete lack of teamwork apparent at all levels in Lidl. No work-life balance for employees at deputy manager level and above. Overtime pay? Haha. You will continue to be recruiting staff until you run out of people on this small island, despite claims of 'due to expansion' another lie.

"Avoid like the plague"

Former Employee - Store Assistant
    Former Employee - Store Assistant

Pros

Absolutelty none what so ever

Cons

Constantly under staffed.
    Will sign you up on a part time contract (negating the benefits that come with a full time contract), but have you work full time hours.
    Awful team moral.
    The training consisted of a 20 minute talk, and you are left unsure of what to do throughout most of the day.
    Incredibly unorganized.

"Accountability"

Current Employee - Real Estate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Real Estate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Lidl full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, decent pay, and the work experience looks good on your resume. Additionally, this company has so much money that, no matter how poorly they are managed, they're not going to go out of business

Cons

Management is entirely too young and inexperienced. Promotion and advancement is based primarily on confidence and acting serious. Additionally, management is focused on pointing fingers and "holding people accountable" more than they are on leading their staff and the company. The impression you get from management is that you are always one mistake away from getting fired.

Advice to Management

Lead your staff and focus on helping people to grow. Holding people accountable when they make mistakes is not a management philosophy. Positive reinforcement is a much better tool. Make people excited to come to work.

"Too Bad Zero Star an Option?"

I have been working at Lidl full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Looks decent on your resume due to rapid growth.. but at the end of the day.. it's still a discount grocery store.

Cons

Where do I begin? Company is completely upside down. Men (and only men) get promoted based on how serious they are and if they drink the company kool-aid. Company preaches "values" until they are blue in the face, primarily because they completely disregard them when it comes down to it. Respect? Yeah, if that means working 90 hours a week with no comprehension of life outside of work. Responsibility? Sure, with no oversight or feedback. Don't do things the way they expect, even though you haven't been told what that is? You're fired with no warning. Rewards? Ummm... they don't exist. We had casual Friday once a quarter and even that was taken away due to "less productivity" on this day. Trust? HAHA. That's the funniest one of all. Trust that you will be in the office with no option of working remote, 8am-6pm standard hours at a MINIMUM, and treated like you eat, sleep and breath this company with no respect. Run away, fast. It's just not worth it.

Advice to Management

You may be a German based company, but you're in America now. You can't continue treating people the way you do and expect them to stay.

"Outdated Company Culture"

Former Employee - Logistics in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Logistics in Arlington, VA

Pros

Free food sometimes and tablet at reception is quite forward thinking for such a company.

Cons

-Far from metro
    -Coworkers less than impressive
    -Embarrassing to tell people job

Advice to Management

Get off your high horse, start treating women fairly

"LIDL US Takes the wind out of you"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crystal City, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crystal City, VA

Pros

None. This place is toxic.

Cons

Where do I begin? They sold themselves as a well funded start-up, with the PROS of having unlimited funds and therefore big opportunities for career growth. Which is every person's dream. And it was pretty much all a lie except for a select few. Mostly men.

Unfortunately it's all the CONS of a well funded startup. You work long hours. Management is nitpicky and fast paced and sloppy, leading to lots of edits and quick fixes in ways that don't make sense. Which creates more problems than if you sat down and did it right the first time.

They claimed an open door policy but this place is riddled with more politics than their neighbors at Congress. Often if your complaint is about a manager or above, there is a cover and dodge policy. Reporting them does nothing. I often times was told to withhold information about the project I was on that other departments needed in order to do their job, all because of politics. Even when it put the project in jeopardy. Many times they end up taking the route I would have taken initially, but not after lots of hemming and hawing about whether or not to do it. They make lots of decisions very quickly, and therefore flip flop back and forth as to what's being done when. They claim this is part of the environment, but no one wants to work in that kind of instable place where they are constantly second guessing every thought or decision or word they write on paper. It's counter-productive.

I wrote and rewrote deliverables until they made no sense. I'd been working in my industry for 8 years, and I have never seen it implemented so sloppily anywhere else, and this is government contracting central! These guys gives sloppy startups in the area a good name. They pride themselves in being able to do things in record time, but they kill supportive staff in the process. And the end result is lackluster.

Advice to Management

Pick a day where you take on the duties of someone who is below management level. You will see how unreasonable your expectations are. And sadly, it does not have to be that way. With your extensive research into Millenials and how they operate, what motivates them: apply this to management.

Learn to say good job once in awhile. Learn to let people relax once in awhile. Open office only works if you have the management style to match it. Otherwise it just makes people think you're constantly watching them, which drives them to paranoia. You would see more production if people felt confidant about what they were doing, so instill confidence.

Put a woman in your director position or above. Hell, make it a fair chance. Put several women in positions of management. I saw only white males in a director or above position. And their board is made of only white males.

Learn that the ways of the future are more transparent than the past. Hiding behind politics won't work for much longer. It just makes you look foolish anyway.

"Major Disappointment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Lidl full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a job and a paycheck, nothing else. Most of people manager and below are decent.

Cons

Most of directors are young and have no industry nor management experience. If you have any experience, you are disrespected and your ideas are taken and you are given no credit or you are simply ignored. Terrible corporate culture, nothing but a "popularity contest" Don't believe all the hype posted on LinkedIn.

Advice to Management

Get some US citizens with retail experience in senior level positions. Stop referring to the US consumer as "stupid people" Start valuing people with experience

"Perfect Example of How Not to Run a Company"

Former Employee - Construction/Development Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Construction/Development Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Lidl full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits, free company vehicle/gas/insurance/maintenance that you can use for personal use, some decent coworkers, looks good on resume, very stable industry and very financially strong company.

Cons

I could write a novel on downsides to working at Lidl US. Poor management, lack of values/morals/ethics, an extreme culture (negative).

To give an example of how the company worked: While an employee, I made a formal complaint about unethical activities by upper management of the real estate department. The unethical activity was widely known, but no one wanted to report it out of fear of retribution. I reported it through HR, met with them and the legal team, and both thought it was a major issue. Rather than investigate and check on examples and names I gave, they were forced to sweep it under the rug by the European members of the team. I resigned, but had I not, there is no doubt in my mind I would have been fired.

Another example - with no cause or discussions/notification, my title was changed. Goes to show they don't consider what they are doing or how it affects people, they just see it as an opportunity to make a change that they can quantify and write down to look good on their file ("I changed the title of 28 employees, promote me").

I am a former member of the military, and I can tell you this company was run with more fear motivation than the military. Think a huge man screaming in your face is fear motivation? No, Lidl's method was to threaten you anytime you thought outside their box or made even the smallest mistake. Numerous employees were given dreaded HR performance reviews after making mistakes as small as spelling and grammar mistakes in internal memos and emails. This is due to inexperienced management with no leadership skills.

As other reviews state - upper management is made up of Europeans with no idea how things work in the US, and an American or two with no idea what they are doing. The only way to climb the ladder is to do exactly what you are told (even if it is unethical/wrong/just plain stupid) and keep your own knowledge, experience, and ideas to yourself.

Advice to Management

Clean house. You've already cleared out the top two employees once in the two years you've been i the US, time to do it again and get someone in here who won't bring his friends over from Europe and let them do whatever they want.

"No work life balance"

Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA

Pros

Lots going on which is exciting

Cons

Many in upper management are from abroad without families or friends here thus work is all they do and they have no respect for anyone's personal lives outside of the company.

Advice to Management

Recognize that people have lives outside of work and respect them. Employees should be able to be recognized, respected, trusted, and promoted without having to work 50+ hours/week.

"The patriarchy is alive and well"

Current Employee - Purchasing in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Purchasing in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Lidl full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay (but not worth it for utter lack of work-life balance), corporate car, fun people to work with (if they're American)

Cons

No room to advance if you're not a white male, customary to work upwards of 70 hours per week, very outdated working model, no transparency from leadership leads to gossip culture amongst the "little people", constant last minute projects leave you putting out fires - rather than being proactive - forcing us to wonder if we signed up to be firefighters or work for a retail grocery chain that isn't even open yet in the states, fear mongering company culture, no loyalty to employees - employees seen as expendable, working in volatile and unsafe conditions

Advice to Management

This company is very out of touch with the way things are run in America, hire some American change management professionals to mesh what actually works from the European model with the open minded and fair environment Americans have come to expect while working in America. Just because you're European and have been successful across the pond, doesn't mean you can force your culture on American employees with no regard for their expectations of a fair and respectful working environment.

Showing 185 of 1,048 reviews