Lidl Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 22, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jesper Hojer

Pros
  • Good Pay - Easy progression (with the right attitude) (in 45 reviews)

• Sehr gute Bezahlung (mit steigerung der Gehaltsstufe jeweils nach einem Jahr), sehr freundliche Kollegen, gute Entwicklungsm (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance isn't there right now, but its a given due to expansion (in 55 reviews)

• Long hours at times, but that comes with working for a company that is in the middle of an expansion (in 65 reviews)

"Be aware of what you are getting yourself into"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Lidl full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No pros for employees with experience. If you are a recent college graduate you will be paid more than other places.

Cons

Too many to count. Read all the reviews on here and you will see a pattern. Employee turnover is extremely high, for a reason. My previous review was flagged (go figure). In this post I will post facts only.

- They discriminate. I have witnessed discrimination of others and experienced my own share of it.
    - They retaliate. If you draw attention to their unfair practices or their authoritarian leadership style, your career suffers and your workload changes.
    - They try and influence your private life. They inappropriately inquire with other employees whether or not they plan to spend time with you outside of work. If management has issues with you, employees are told that there will be consequences for them if they ‘hang out’ with you.
    - If you ask work related questions they think you should know the answer to, you are told you are too dumb to do your job. You are yelled at. You are belittled and ridiculed in front of everyone. This is a daily occurrence for many employees.
    - They are highly unprofessional. Senior management parties with employees after hours and uses inappropriate language while at work. There are always rumors of who hooked up with who. Even married/senior employees. If you don't want any part in this, you are treated differently.
    - Promotions are random and very much based on personal preferences and not on qualification. Most of the time your talent has nothing to do with it.
    - They engage in immoral actions like threats of demotion or to be fired. Simply requesting to apply for another position within the company will cause them to interrogate and threaten you.
    - They come on here to write fake positive reviews - HR has personally told me that. They blame negative reviews on ‘trouble makers’ and ‘under performers’ – except that this is not true. The employees who complain are highly qualified and educated people who have had great success before they started with this company. They complain because they are appalled by the way they are treated, not because they are ‘underperformers’. The amount of negative reviews does not lie. Not everyone can be an underperformer or bad seed.
    - After seeking help from HR because of the unfair treatment I was receiving, I was advised to just look for another job. The reasoning: It was for my own best since HR knew about the issues and said their hands are tied to do anything about it. They blame it on the ‘cultural differences’ between the headquarters in Germany and the US. So HR is practically useless. Not to speak of the amount of times they have messed up paychecks and benefits.
    - Your performance reviews are not based on your actual performance in the job. Instead, managers make up things based on whether they like you or not.
    - Of course everything said to you that could be considered discriminatory or retaliation is off record. Trying to prove any of this is impossible because it happens behind closed doors. Other employees who might be witnesses are too scared to speak up because they don’t want to be in the same boat. You know it’s bad when employees start recording their conversations just to have a backup.

Advice to Management

No advice unless you are willing to start over and replace your entire senior management team.

"Asset manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Lidl full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good salary for managers.

Cons

Extra long hours, managers work like associates, not allowed to hire staff.

Advice to Management

Change your style of hiring management. You are hiring experienced retail professionals, not actors. Judging managers on how they perform during situational part of the interview is no way of knowing how they work. Horrible practice

3. "More to life."

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Plymouth, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Plymouth, England (UK)

I worked at Lidl full-time

Pros

Opportunity for promotion. (If you're a part of the click)
    Money is good if you're PH not salary.
    Great customers.

Cons

50+ hours a week.
    The money looks good on paper but when you divide salary by hours worked per week in some instances you're on less than customer assistants.
    Thier payroll system is very poor and I am yet to have expenses paid back to me.
    Poor communication between departments.
    If you're happy to sign your life away and do the crazy amount of hours they expect of you (very unsociable hours too) then crack on but in my experience this wasn't for me; I've since found work that is 52 less hours contracted a month (not including the other time expecting of you) and the money is better. There really is more to life than this, do not be fooled.

Advice to Management

Communication needs a serious look at and redevolping. I found the management very clicky and if you weren't a part of that click promotion was bleak and there was a lot of gossiping going on behind other managers backs.

5. "Pression harcèlement acharnement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crégy-lès-Meaux (France)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crégy-lès-Meaux (France)

Pros

Le salaire et les collègues

Cons

La pression des fausses accusations de l'harcèlement de l'acharnement quand ils ont plus besoin de vous ils vous virent comme des moins que rien en tant que délégué syndical ils ont fait toute sorte d'accusation à mon égard soit disant que jetai raciste envers une responsable qui est arrivé dans la boîte depuis 3mois sa fait plus de 9 ans j'y travaille on m'as jamais reproche de quel propos aujourd'hui ils m'envoies un courrier pouvanr aller a licenciement pour propos raciste mais tout les salariés sont de mon côté j'ai jamais eu de problème auparavant mais la c la totale je suis en dépression j'arrive plus à dormir ni à manger en perdant mon travail C ma vie qui s'éteind ce travail et tout ce ki me rester aujourd'hui j'ai plus rien j'attends leur réponse qui je sais ki veulent me licencier et di C le cas je suis morte

"Terrible place to work"

Former Employee - Advertising Project Manager in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Advertising Project Manager in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Lidl full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free fruit and veg offered to staff after purchasing assessed new suppliers

Cons

Bullying by management. When this was reported to a senior manager, the bully was always protected. I saw so many colleagues in tears in the bathrooms. Also, we were clearly told never to speak to people levels above us. I said hello to the managing director at the Christmas party. Simply saying that one word got me called into my managers office the following working day for a screaming fit!

Advice to Management

Sort it out! The culture there is very negative.

"You Can Do Much Better Than Lidl"

I worked at Lidl full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Growing International Corporation
    - Opportunity to quickly advance
    - Great for people looking for company politics and a corporate ladder to climb.

Cons

- No work life balance, expect to but in and maintain 60 plus hours to be in contention for advancement.
    - Corporate culture is very does not encourage flexibility even though they tell employees it does.
    - Incompetent lower and middle management. Nepotism, unrealistic expectations for employees, a lack of respect, and clickish.
    - High Turnover in most departments.
    - Pay is mediocre/low relative to work expectations.
    - In office dress code is essentially business professional, especially for men. Expect to wear a suit and tie.

- Very strict office etiquette, must push in chair at desks or get written up.

Advice to Management

Improve you company culture by creating a more flexible and happy environment. Also choose your managers wisely, some of them are grinding their subordinates to a pulp with the amount of work and passive aggressive condescension.

"Avoid"

Former Employee - Store Assistant
    Former Employee - Store Assistant

I worked at Lidl full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pays more than other supermarkets (but you will be worked twice as hard).

My store didn't open on boxing day.

Customers were 99% friendly and disgruntled customers are easy to deal with as it all pretty much boils down to they want a refund but don't have a receipt or they misread the price label.

Cons

Where do I start?

Working at unsocial hours and not having a fixed rota. Some days you would be working 5am until 3pm, the next day you could be working 2pm until 10 or 11pm. You didn't get a say in when you work 99% of the time. Sometimes I finished at 10pm and was in the next day for 5am.

I was constantly tired as the work is physically demanding and my sleeping pattern was all over the place. I could justify unsocial and tiring hours if I worked in a job that actually did something beneficial for society (e.g. police or ambulance driver) but I wasn't going to waste my life working unsocial hours for a supermarket so I left.

You can only have a work/life balance if you work part time. If you want to pay your bills you'll need to work full time there and that means the unsocial hours will destroy your social life.

They try to make themselves look good in the public eye with how much they pay. Actually, everything considered the pay isn't that amazing. You can get paid the same or more to work Mon - Fri 9-5 in an air conditioned office (which is what I do now and I don't regret it one bit).

Teams are small and there's never many staff scheduled in (it's one way they keep product prices down). The downside of this is as an employee if anyone ever phones in sick on your shift you can bet you'll be finishing work later than expected.

If someone phones in sick and it's your day off expect a call from your manager trying to pressure you into coming in even if it means you would end up working 10 days straight.

The work is physically demanding. They give you a 7 feet tall pallet and expect you to clear it in 20 minutes. Realistically you need 40-60 minutes depending on the products on it. You're shifting heavy boxes of product about and they expect you to do it far too quickly than is good for you. If you use proper lifting technique you will be too slow and get pulled into the office. People end up using bad lifting technique to and subsequently injure their back. Their own training video shows a demonstration of how to lift products and it actually shows someone using bad technique (lifting something off the ground by bending over at the waist rather than using the legs).

The pension is worthless. The employer contributions are next to nothing and it's unlikely you can afford to make higher contributions yourself unless you are a manager.

The area managers are not hired from existing staff. They are hired as graduates. Therefore you have these fresh out of university 21 year olds on a power trip who have no sense of what it's like working on the shop floor. I believe one reason Lidl does this is so that the area managers will enforce new rules without sympathy. They typically burn out after a few years.

Career progression depends on whether your face fits.

For managers: you basically do the same work as a store assistant plus a little bit of managing. And you will work 50 hours per week minimum.

I must have heard the same jokes from customers dozens of times a day. It's a small thing but it gets tiresome eventually.

Advice to Management

Allow employees more structured rotas, even if it means they get at least a couple of days a week that are set in stone.

Higher up people who don't work in a store should come do a week in a store.

9. "Nicht für jeder Mann"

Current Intern - im Verkauf
    Current Intern - im Verkauf

I have been working at Lidl as an intern

Pros

Nette und hilfsbereite Kollegen, gute Bezahlung

Cons

Sehr stressig aufgrund des hohen Zeitdrucks, weshalb einem die Arbeit auch keinen Spaß mehr macht.

Advice to Management

Man kann nicht verlangen, dass ein Mitarbeiter schneller als die anderen Kollegen arbeiten muss, nur weil man als Werkstudent besser verdient.

"Worst Company in the USA worthy of a million lawsuits"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Getting the opportunity to work at Europe for a few weeks to a few months. The fact that it is cheap to travel around Europe on the weekends is a pro. Flights were so cheap! So glad I got that opportunity. The Eurotrip will save you thousands in airfare. Imagine going to a new city every Friday evening for under 30 USD roundtrip. Good time to quit is after your training ends. You will have completed a Euro trip by then. You can also make full use of your rental car and drive around Europe because gas is one thing the company will pay for. Make full use of the free gas money. Fill your tank every other day if you need to (I know people who have gone on massive roadtrips with their car while there).

Cons

Everything about working there is a disaster. 1) Management is a joke. In fact managers are either racist Europeans who never travelled or know anything about how companies in the USA operate or they are newly recruited college graduates from the USA who are in their early 20s and don't know crap about managing people. Based on their communication skills, their thought processes are clearly juvenile and no sensible adult would put up with that kind of crap. These newly graduates are paid at least twice as much as people with 10 years of retail experience in the industry. In fact they are the ones lording over the people with 10 years of experience. That’s right. These inexperienced managers are constantly asking people with experience how to do things, when they should be the ones with the knowledge as the manager. That's beyond insulting and downright unethical. Unless you're an old college professor that likes to be taught and/or learn from students do not step foot in LIDL.

2) The HR is even worse. They were terrible recruiters and known to screw up every employee's paycheck on a regular basis. People get underpaid and overpaid and if you don't read your paycheck thoroughly every time you are paid I guarantee you there is a mistake. I know people who have been overpaid by thousands of dollars and Lidl still have not caught on, so if you are a victim of being overpaid just zip it and Lidl won’t be the wiser.

3) Overseas training: They drag your rear to Europe last minute without advanced notice. When you are in Europe, they give you no company card and drag you to an unknown hotel in an unknown location where you have to pay to use the internet. The per diem is 30 dollars. For that amount you eat one and a half meals a day or buy cold sandwiches every day. There is no microwave, there is no fridge, and they will take away your measly per diem if you are booked in a hotel with either of these appliances. LIDL will refuse to pay for your breakfast in the hotel. Oh, and they won't even pay for your laundry which costs more than my entire utilities in DC right now. Working for any reputable USA company overseas guarantees you at least a minimum of $75 dollars per day for per diem, including additional costs for laundry, etc. I bet Wal-Mart employees have better per diems.

Work environment: Have you seen Jersey Shore? You will notice a lot of flirting amongst managers (college graduates especially) and even relationships mixed in a professional environment. These people have the upper hand because they form groups and are manager level and above. They all go out drinking regularly and I've noticed promotions from within, nepotism, and all kinds of HR violations. If you're an experienced employee avoid at all costs working there. It will look bad on your portfolio and will negatively influence your lifestyle. Working at LIDL is like living in a frat house. Unless you want to be managed by an obnoxious and inexperienced frat kid or sorority girl avoid LIDL.

Worst of all, they were still working on their policies when I left so they were inconsistent with their promises and would randomly tell you no for certain requests while they say yes to others. They even discriminate you based on your skin color, gender, etc by not promoting you. All that combined with 10-12 hour workdays and no overtime pay will make you feel like a blue-collar worker. You are better off working for McDonalds at this cost because they at least get overtime.

Turnover: I still talk to some colleagues at Lidl and more than half the people that on-boarded with me have either been fired or left the company. Some have filed complaints with the EEOC. Does that not say something?

Advice to Management

Go back to Europe or learn how American businesses operate and put a muzzle on the frat and sorority managers that are lording over people who actually know what they're talking about.

11. "Awful company to work for"

Former Employee - General Assistant in Clacton-on-Sea, England (UK)
    Former Employee - General Assistant in Clacton-on-Sea, England (UK)

I worked at Lidl part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay, contracted to 20 hours on £8.22 but as they only gave me 6 hours a week i was paid about £16 or so an hour,

Cons

The management expect you to scan a certain amount of items in a time frame with hardly any till training at all. I was told the basics and that was it. Was contracted to 20 hours a week but was only put down for about 6. But because i was contracted to 20 hours i still got paid for that amount. About 6 weeks in they let me go due to "not meeting the standards of Lidl" how are you meant to reach these "standards" if you don't get properly trained?

So after a few months i received a letter saying that they had overpaid me by about £400 and demanded me to pay back by a certain date or further action would be taken. Obviously i didn't pay them a penny as i was contracted to 20 hours a week therefore legally they had to pay me for those hours, even though the manager only put me down for 6 hours a week. Funny thing is, one of my colleagues at my current job was in the same situation as i was and he also didn't pay a penny backasnd guess what? I haven't heard anything back from them and its been well over a year

Moral of the story is, if you work for Lidl and they let you go and demand money from you , DONT PAY A SINGLE PENNY! Its a scare tactic, this must happen alot which would explain why at my induction day at a disturbtion centre in Kent, there was about 50 odd people in this room all recently been recruited by Lidl.....there's a reason why when you go into their stores they always have new staff working there,

Advice to Management

Treat staff with more respect and patience