Lidl Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 20, 2017

1.0
Jesper Hojer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good Pay - Easy progression (with the right attitude) (in 62 reviews)

• Sehr gute Bezahlung (mit steigerung der Gehaltsstufe jeweils nach einem Jahr), sehr freundliche Kollegen, gute Entwicklungsm (in 35 reviews)

1. "Going backwards"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Maidstone, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Maidstone, England (UK)

I have been working at Lidl full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I seen company come long way in 10 years. Always had hope that slowly pay
    And Respect and was getting better but last 2 year's shows me i was wrong

Cons

Pay= sounds gd but the amount u work for free is just wrong. Make it hr rate drop lots
    Respect = they don't care about there staff as work them to the bone and try to push people out when sick.
    Work load=They want u too be 3 people all at the same time .They want to much and pay difference compared to over company's is srinking .

Advice to Management

Give ur own staff a chance and stop employing people who have no idea because they have a peace of paper . This company will destory all it growth they made in the 10 year.

"Gonna Be A Long One But Worth The Read!!"

I worked at Lidl part-time

Pros

Well, its a job for one. Pays me (sometimes), easy job to do, shifts are decent(ish), yeah thats about it.

Cons

So biggest con is the pay is never on time. When started, had to drive to Fredericksburg for training, which is an hour drive. Told employees would be compensated for drive, took forever to actually get that compensation. Basically just make a lot of promises they cannot keep. Training was stupid, was only supposed to be a few weeks long but got extended to like double the time because of their failure on time management, so had to sit around for a few weeks and listen to managers make up stuff to "train". All the stuff learned in training has nothing to do with the actual jobs now, so that was basically a waste.

Yeah the pay is decent, but that's only when everyone actually receives it. Ever since training, the pay has been messed up. People are only getting a quarter of what they earned, or nothing at all. Now, people are starting to not show up to their shifts because of it. Its really bad, and no one seems to be doing anything about it. You can tell management is freaking out and doesn't want to work for Lidl anymore, but they get paid so much, so they stay.

The only people that are going to stick around that place are the people "drinking the juice", and I feel bad for them because they are getting manipulated and will be screwed over. Lidl is very "good" at promoting the "Lidl Way", and making it seem like the most AMAZING company every created. It's cult-like, and it's creepy and weird.

Advice to Management

As a wise person has said, it seems as though management's idea and decision-making strategy seems to be similar to "a bunch of animals flinging feces against a whiteboard and wherever it lands, they choose that option". No one knows what they are doing, and are just making it up as they go on a daily basis. I know that has to be stressful for them as well, not knowing what the heck you are doing every single shift and just hoping it works out, so perhaps new management with managing experience should be brought in. To no fault of their own, the store management is honestly just very under-qualified, and just don't know what they are doing. It may be rude to say, but they are lost and when issues arise, they just end up dumping the problems onto the staff's shoulders and making them handle it. I know that has to be stressful for them as well, not knowing what the heck you are doing every single shift and just hoping it works out, so perhaps new management with managing experience should be brought in. Employees get angry with the managers very often for the issues, as it is TECHNICALLY their fault, but it's actually the people above them that created the issue by hiring inadequate management.

If Lidl wants to do well in America, something needs to be done. A European company can't just come over to America and expect to run the same. There are adjustments that need to be made ASAP, or they will fail. It was already a risk coming here, since "new, hip" grocery stores seems to be a new thing and they are popping up everywhere. Lidl is competing with Aldi, Trader Joe's (who is doing a great job tbh)..... it's not gonna be easy and they have changes to make. Honestly, Americans are sue-happy, and the higher-ups at Lidl need to be more careful or they will find themselves in some deep ish.

OVERALL, I would advise against working for Lidl for the next few years, maybe wait until like 2020 when its a more established company here in the US and adjustments have been made. I promise you will end up disappointed (and underpaid) starting now.

3. "Donnez sans attendre en retour..."

Former Employee - responsable ventes secteur in Lunel, Languedoc-Roussillon (France)

I worked at Lidl full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Un process de recrutement relativement rapide, bien que dense, qui permet potentiellement une prise de poste dans le mois...
    Le package proposé incluant une rémunération cohérente avec les responsabilités du poste (+ la jolie A4 après 6mois uniquement) peu sembler attrayant mais rapporté au volume horaire, à la pression supportée et au poids énorme sur la vie de famille ...
    Dans certains magasin, des hommes et des femmes méritants qui donnent envie de les manager.

Cons

Une direction élitiste et nombriliste qui manage par la pression (vous avez la direction régionale dont vous faite parti, et le "reste" en magasin).
    Une pression constante et intense par les chiffres qui sont finalement l'unique VRAI objectif.
    Oubliez le management dans lequel on prend en considération les profils de chacun et où on cherche à le faire grandir en développant ses compétences.
    Une processus d'intégration inexistant.
    Une courses à volume horaire effrénée : on ne cherche pas l'efficience mais plutôt à faire 6h00 - 21h00 (ou plus) 6j/7 pour atteindre la "moyenne de RVS 50-60h / semaine" ...

Advice to Management

Votre modèle économique fait ses preuves, mais si vous souhaitez atteindre "l'excellence" tel que vous le visez, faite évoluer d'URGENCE votre modèle social ...

"Do Not Recommend"

Current Employee - Employee
    Current Employee - Employee

I have been working at Lidl full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ehh... not many to be honest. It's a job? That's about the only pro. But we don't even get paid half the time so it can barely be considered a job. Also it's an easy place to work.

Cons

Pay is never on time, work/life balance sucks, management has no clue what they are doing. I am more overqualified than the person managing me, and it's irritating that that person got a job making 3x as much as I do and has barely any management experience, whereas I have years of it. Also I never know when I'm going to work in the upcoming week until the first day of that week. It would be nice to know like at least a week in advance of my schedule? Especially because most of us have families and lives outside of this job? I bet in a year or so, Lidl will be doing a lot better, once the under-qualified management is tossed out.

Advice to Management

If one more manager tells me that "Lidl is the most important thing in my life" and that I "have to sacrifice everything for this company", I will lose it. This is a grocery store. Yes, the company itself is nice, but this isn't the White House. This is not a stressful job. Everyone needs to chill out and relax. I think management are not qualified enough, so they are always on edge trying to make sure everything is running okay. They have no idea what they are doing. It's a grocery store. Calm down and we will be able to figure it out, don't just throw it on the employees so it's not your issue. You are losing and will continue to lose your employees if you don't get this place more organized.

"Not A Good Company To Work For"

Former Employee - Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at Lidl full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pros are decent pay and is an easy job

Cons

Cons are most employees are selfish, I'm always having to make up for other people's mistakes, very poor communication skills throughout management, pay is literally always messed up every week.

Advice to Management

Management seems like a bunch of chickens running around with their heads cut off. No one seems to know what's going on, and every is just winging it and hoping it works out. The people hired for the management positions are not adequate and do not do a good job, and the people below them get blamed for their mistakes. The company itself isn't bad, but the transition to the US has not gone well and Lidl did not do a good job hiring the right people for the higher up positions. The management's disorganization makes the store look bad, and through the cutsomers' eyes, its the employees' fault and it makes us look like bad workers when we really aren't, our leaders are weak.

"Extremely unorganized company who takes advantage of their employees"

Former Employee - Store Associate
    Former Employee - Store Associate

I worked at Lidl part-time

Pros

I met some other nice associates but that's honestly it. Everything else was pretty awful.

Cons

Where do I even start? Ever since day one there were serious problems. Problems ranged from payroll to simply knowing where/when the actual grocery store was going to open. The managers were super condescending (especially the district managers) and could never give direct answers. While training for store opening, the other associates and I would sit in class-like 'rooms' where they would show powerpoints over and over again (very strange and cult-like.. I don't know) The training was supposed to be 5 weeks but turned into eleven.... and even after that, we didn't have anything to do so we did community service. Which was fine and everything but we were told we would get paid 6 hours a day for every day that we did community service regardless. we would be scheduled sometimes only three hours in a day and it turns out they lied and would only pay us for that many. Also, if you have to travel and you're able to claim mileage, don't put the miles on your car because you'll either never see it or it'll take months for it to get to you. I'm still missing a significant amount of money and there's no one I can contact who has answers. Endless excuses and TBD answers. It's absolutely ridiculous and I spent way too much time hoping things would get better. Complete waste of my time and energy. Once the store opened, it was nonstop stress and nothing was organized. Absolutely chaotic. Terrible, terrible place to work. I could go on and on because I'm honestly just so appalled by this company but I'm just going to end it here.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to your employees and acting like Lidl is some godsend. Actually step up and find the associates answers because you're losing all your good workers.

"lidl needs better managers"

Former Employee - Store Associate in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Store Associate in Richmond, VA

I worked at Lidl part-time (More than a year)

Pros

good starting pay for young people

Cons

Everything you learn in the training academy is totally disregarded once you are in the store.High turn over rate.Lots of kinks that need to be worked out.

Advice to Management

Get better and more caring management

8. "Not worth it!"

Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Bath, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Bath, England (UK)

I worked at Lidl full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay. And you can get away with murder because they do legally too.

Cons

You will hate every part of your work life and despise the company. It will also become your whole life because it destroys your social life.

Advice to Management

Focus on your employees rather than your own targets!

9. "Gehalt top Rest Flop"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Neckarsulm (Germany)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Neckarsulm (Germany)

Pros

Gutes Gehalt, Es gibt eine Kantine

Cons

Unspannende Tätigkeit. Umgang mit Lieferanten

10. "Horaires difficiles"

Former Employee - Chef De Produits in Rungis (France)
    Former Employee - Chef De Produits in Rungis (France)

I worked at Lidl full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bons salaires, missions intéressantes, équipes très jeunes

Cons

Horaires intenables, siège mal situé

Advice to Management

Plus de flexibilité dans les horaires

Showing 219 of 1,241 reviews