Lidl Reviews | Glassdoor

Lidl Reviews

Updated April 24, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Good Pay - Easy progression (with the right attitude) (in 47 reviews)

• Sehr gute Bezahlung (mit steigerung der Gehaltsstufe jeweils nach einem Jahr), sehr freundliche Kollegen, gute Entwicklungsm (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance, expect to work in excess of 60 (in 60 reviews)

• Long hours and fragmented head office (in 68 reviews)

"Good company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Lidl full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, good perks, flexible hours.

Cons

Long hours, demanding work place

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and ensure those hard workers are getting work/life balance.

"Reminiscent of Congress"

Current Employee - Specialist in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Specialist in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Lidl full-time

Pros

Great colleagues, excellent benefits, fun company events, and free groceries from the buying department.
    There are chances to grow here if you have an okay manager BUT that's rare
    Pay is good
    Promotions are for the inner-circle
    Travel all over Europe

Cons

You have a lot of " leaders" making money and hoping that they will stick up for their departments ( constituents) but everyone ends up getting thrown under the bus. I can't be sure if this is due to immature management, scape-goating, leadership really thinking that the workers in their departments are really to blame or if everyone is just afraid to accept personal responsibility. Maybe all the above?
    The worst part about Lidl is that they have so much potential to uber-successful but they are more concerned about " having power" and their own egos that they are tanking this would be great company.

Advice to Management

Stop modeling your leadership style after the current administration. Train your people, be a leader, stick up for them!

"It's like "play" work with a bunch of middle school girls as managers."

Former Employee - Real Estate Analyst in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Real Estate Analyst in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Lidl full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Collect as many pay checks as you can until you get something better. Compensate well if you are early in your career.

You can say you worked for one of the worst companies in the US.

Cons

Most people have no idea what's going on.

Little Leadership.

Lidl Europe has just now started tightening the reins. Finally realizing all of the disorganization and waste going on. The are becoming "cost conscious" which is ironic.

Might be one of the most interesting unfolding events in town. There is a joke that people are only sticking around to see what happens.

Advice to Management

Slow the expansion so you can control the growth.

"Employees that complain are the ones being held accountable or running to hide in other depts!"

I have been working at Lidl full-time

Pros

So I recently read reviews on here about a few depts, and one was HR and even though I don't work in that area, I know lots of people there and I have to say, its not true! They actually help a great deal, especially when my dept hasn't done their part, but our leader keeps complaining about HR, and its really him...because his demands, right or wrong. I think the people that write these reviews are the one that shouldn't be with Lidl to begin with. They should stop spreading false info just because they are disgruntled or in hiding in another dept or have left. As a whole, This company will make your dreams come true if you stay true to yourself! Meaning that you work very, very hard and don't run from facing tough situations or times. We are in the middle of the largest expansion the company has ever seen and not all people are built to handle it. The people for the most part are very hard working and actually do care! This applies to All debts because I go to lunch and dinner with lots of people and trust - I get the scoop as much as possible so I can make my own judgement.

Cons

-work life balance isn't there right now, but its a given due to expansion
    -I'm a millennial but I watch my peers and I'm shocked at how much they are needy and whine, over actually working! Maybe I see it differently, but just stop complaining and do your job and you won't have to worry about being held accountable, what a thought that is!

Advice to Management

For my millennial peers who are in mgmt, stop acting so cocky and self serving and for those few older managers, get a hold of them and set them straight otherwise we won't do as well. Finally - I heard that the board is moving to the 9th floor - my friend from that dept dished out the info and if its true, its not cool that they get a whole floor to themselves while we are all like sardine. This isn't a lidl mentality, you say we are equal and talked about the hand thing at townhall, so my question to the board is......where is it???

"Be aware of what you are getting yourself into"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Lidl full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No pros for employees with experience. If you are a recent college graduate you will be paid more than other places.

Cons

Too many to count. Read all the reviews on here and you will see a pattern. Employee turnover is extremely high, for a reason. My previous review was flagged (go figure). In this post I will post facts only.

- They discriminate. I have witnessed discrimination of others and experienced my own share of it.
    - They retaliate. If you draw attention to their unfair practices or their authoritarian leadership style, your career suffers and your workload changes.
    - They try and influence your private life. They inappropriately inquire with other employees whether or not they plan to spend time with you outside of work. If management has issues with you, employees are told that there will be consequences for them if they ‘hang out’ with you.
    - If you ask work related questions they think you should know the answer to, you are told you are too dumb to do your job. You are yelled at. You are belittled and ridiculed in front of everyone. This is a daily occurrence for many employees.
    - They are highly unprofessional. Senior management parties with employees after hours and uses inappropriate language while at work. There are always rumors of who hooked up with who. Even married/senior employees. If you don't want any part in this, you are treated differently.
    - Promotions are random and very much based on personal preferences and not on qualification. Most of the time your talent has nothing to do with it.
    - They engage in immoral actions like threats of demotion or to be fired. Simply requesting to apply for another position within the company will cause them to interrogate and threaten you.
    - They come on here to write fake positive reviews - HR has personally told me that. They blame negative reviews on ‘trouble makers’ and ‘under performers’ – except that this is not true. The employees who complain are highly qualified and educated people who have had great success before they started with this company. They complain because they are appalled by the way they are treated, not because they are ‘underperformers’. The amount of negative reviews does not lie. Not everyone can be an underperformer or bad seed.
    - After seeking help from HR because of the unfair treatment I was receiving, I was advised to just look for another job. The reasoning: It was for my own best since HR knew about the issues and said their hands are tied to do anything about it. They blame it on the ‘cultural differences’ between the headquarters in Germany and the US. So HR is practically useless. Not to speak of the amount of times they have messed up paychecks and benefits.
    - Your performance reviews are not based on your actual performance in the job. Instead, managers make up things based on whether they like you or not.
    - Of course everything said to you that could be considered discriminatory or retaliation is off record. Trying to prove any of this is impossible because it happens behind closed doors. Other employees who might be witnesses are too scared to speak up because they don’t want to be in the same boat. You know it’s bad when employees start recording their conversations just to have a backup.

Advice to Management

No advice unless you are willing to start over and replace your entire senior management team.

"Stay Away from Purchasing Admin Department"

Former Employee - Purchasing Analyst - Projects in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Purchasing Analyst - Projects in Arlington, VA

I worked at Lidl full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The lies are pretty good. First three days you have to agree with them that Lidl is better than Google. And, if you do do that, you don't have to do anything for your next promotion.

Cons

- They will discriminate against you until you start getting physically/mentally sick. They will pick on various things about you and it will get to the point where you will start questioning yourself. At least this is how the Purchasing Admin Department is. Based on previous reviews, it does not look any better in other departments. But, I can't speak for those.

- The assignments don't ever make any sense. They are either for elementary kids or something you can't do because you don't have the resources yet. It's more than just busy work. It's stupid busy work that doesn't go anywhere. One of my assignments was to convert pounds to kilograms in an Excel file (ridiculous). You will be rated on this.

- Again, keep in mind the tasks assigned are below your level, but so is management as well. It will take some time to notice because they pretend to be busy out of breath professionals. It's their thing, to seem like they are running around. You will be set up in the worst possible way. Anything you know better than your supervisors, which will be 99% of the time, you will be humiliated for it somehow. They will take your ideas as their own and run with it at the end. You will start to watch your back constantly, because you outsmarted them, and in their eyes are a threat.

- Lidl had employees send questions to the board with their concerns and all of them were about "the hostile work environment and supervisors being bullies."

- In the Purchasing Admin department, most people are performing job functions they would have never applied for. The VP hires highly qualified people and then turns them into "Data Entry" clerks without even considering their strengths and the fact that she lied during the whole interview process. You will be bullied and your position will be TBD, while in reality you are just a data entry clerk. They will make sure you feel worthless so you stoop low to their level or below.

Advice to Management

Get a mirror and stop thinking everyone should look and think like you. Don't try to cover up your mistakes and inexperience by making your team look bad.

""Toxic""

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Lidl (Less than a year)

Pros

- They'll probably hire you
    - Lots of vacation (which you can't use)
    - Some great people, but a lot of terrible people too
    - Benefits are legitimately generous

Cons

The woman who did my onboarding called people who wrote negative reviews on Glassdoor "toxic" "like a cancer" that needed to be removed. Good luck changing that culture! That's when I first knew I made a terrible mistake.

- Good luck finding anyone to hire you with this experience
    - Inefficient and disorganized management unable to prioritize
    - People who made the worst decisions that still impact the company were the ones promoted
    - Work load is unreasonably high and causes endless problems (and costs serious money)
    - There are genuinely a lot of snobby Europeans trying to tell you how things work in Europe regardless of its relevance
    - You have to work on a Suface ... are you kidding me? You can barely open two PDFs.

Advice to Management

Resign? There isn't a hope in hell that this company will become one of the best companies to work for in the US.

"Great international company with opportunities for those who want to work!"

Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Lidl full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lidl offers every individual the chance to grow and take on responsibility. It offers growth and learning opportunities every day. If you want a comfortable job where you don't have to think and everyday is the same then Lidl is not for you, but if you are wanting a secure, yet challenging career then Lidl offers that to all. Good pay and great people! Most employees need to think long term, rather than right here, right now! Hey, Rome wasn't built In a day!

Cons

It is sometimes required to put extra hours in, but I also believe when you are dedicated to your career that you would be doing that in any job with opportunities. Also starting a company In new country is never going to be easy- those who really focus on the task with be rewarded in the end, I'm sure!

"You Can Do Much Better Than Lidl"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Lidl full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Growing International Corporation
    - Opportunity to quickly advance
    - Great for people looking for company politics and a corporate ladder to climb.

Cons

- No work life balance, expect to but in and maintain 60 plus hours to be in contention for advancement.
    - Corporate culture is very does not encourage flexibility even though they tell employees it does.
    - Incompetent lower and middle management. Nepotism, unrealistic expectations for employees, a lack of respect, and clickish.
    - High Turnover in most departments.
    - Pay is mediocre/low relative to work expectations.
    - In office dress code is essentially business professional, especially for men. Expect to wear a suit and tie.

- Very strict office etiquette, must push in chair at desks or get written up.

Advice to Management

Improve you company culture by creating a more flexible and happy environment. Also choose your managers wisely, some of them are grinding their subordinates to a pulp with the amount of work and passive aggressive condescension.

"IT"

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Lidl (Less than a year)

Pros

Great experience so far working on the IT department. Solid IT team with diverse backgrounds and experienced individuals. The company seems to be very promising. I like the fact that they want all things to be done right, regardless of how much the cost may be.

- Good Benefits, compensation, 401k and PTO
    - Great place to learn new technologies and a lot of room for growth
    - Very diverse company with people from all over the world
    - Opportunites to travel and to learn the German language

Cons

As the company is growing rapidly more employees are needed as we are understaff. ( like most departments)

Advice to Management

Stop filling senior mangaging positions with Europeans when you have perfectly capable American employees working countless hours doing the work required of those positions already.

Showing 975 of 1,037 reviews