Life Storage Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Chicago, IL Area

3.5
Mark Good

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"I hope our culture continues"

I have been working at Life Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-better pay than most self storage company's
    -good benefits
    -commission is challenging, yet achievable
    -buildings are well maintained and the best in the industry
    - I have learned a lot about properties and building management
    - district managers are always supportive
    - schedule of work. No late nights

Cons

-company was sold to Uncle Bob's. I hope we are able to keep our culture in tact as we will now be governed by a publicly traded company.
    -not many paid holidays
    - if you don't achieve your goals you get "0" monthly commission. Those months can be tough

Advice to Management

As I move to the new LifeStorage I hope we can continue to offer our customers the same special services we do now.

2. "Was great before uncle Bob's took over. Working under this new company by the name of Sovran sucks!"

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Life Storage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

One hour lunch is ok. Benefits were better before sovran took over.

Cons

Complain about sexual harassment and you'll be terminated but, the aggressor will stay employed!

Advice to Management

You suck!

3. "Utter trash when uncle bobs took over!"

Former Employee - Property Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Life Storage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get a lot of american holidays off! Customers are good people and 1 hour lunch helps cleanse your soul of this company

Cons

Claim to promote within. Yet, everybody at the top is white! You bust your butt day in and day out for a petty bonus. Area managers are goofy. If you even think about complaining about harassment in the work , these greedy mongrels will dig deep to find a reason to put the at will law into effect! This company sucks. Don't believe the positive reviews, they begged us at a company meeting to please go on glass door and write some good things too offset the bad reviews! 😡

Advice to Management

Pay the people who line your pockets. No one cares how concerned the share holders are because the share holders dont care about anything but $$$

"Great managers"

I have been working at Life Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great hours and tons of flexibility as long as you communicate! Upper management doesn't micro manage but is willing to help out if there is communication! Sometimes upper management gets bad reviews but it's usually because people feel entitled to more money for doing less work. This a property management job...therefore yes you maintain and up keep your facility. If you take pride in your job and yourself then the storage industry is a great field to be in!

Cons

People complain all the time. As a manager you expect it from customers but it's sad when store managers do nothing but complain to the wrong people! If you have a bad experience in this industry it's because you have poor communication. Be intelligent and proactive if you have an issue...don't just complain to team members!

Advice to Management

I wish you all the best of luck with the new direction the company is going in now. Hopefully the great managers will be kept!

"Great Place to Work!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

I have been with this company for almost 2 years and have never regretted my decision to join this company. Initially I was hesitant to enter the self-storage industry but after meeting with upper management and deciding to join have had a wonderful experience with this Company!!
    Upper management is extremely supportive and is always available to assist when you have any problem you need help with, Company promotes from within for positions at the next level as trainers & lead managers, Benefits while a little expensive (aren't they all now with Obamacare!!) but the coverage you get is outstanding!!
    WORK LIFE BALANCE is a plus here!!!!!!!!!!!! Expect to work hard when you come to work, but that should be expected with any job if you are going to give 110% to the person who is giving you your paycheck!!
    Overall, if you want to work in the self-storage industry, this is the premier company to work for and you will not regret joining this amazing team!

Cons

Customer issues can be very sticky and when compared to retail a lot more complicated. However, upper management is supportive in handling the situations with you.

Advice to Management

None! Great Company, Great Culture, Great Service!!!!
    Thank you for making this such a fantastic place for us to work in!!!!

May 24, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Thanks for the great feedback! We are proud of all our associates who give their commitment to providing a best-in-class experience for our customers and a great work environment for our team. It’s... More

6. "Store Manager"

Current Employee - Storage Manager in Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Storage Manager in Aurora, IL

I have been working at Life Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are a fair price they offer everything from medical, dental, vision and life. The bonus structure is great if you work hard and take pride in your job you will be rewarded for it. Upper management is extremely approachable if you ever need to talk to them about anything they always have an open door policy. The job in its entirety is all around excellent.

Cons

Upper management/executives need to communicate more when it comes to changing policies and system updates. Store closings on Christmas eve and some summer holidays because there is not much foot traffic in the store offices those days.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and thank you for always having have the store managers back when it comes to certain situations.

Apr 22, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

We appreciate your positive comments and ongoing commitment to providing a best-in-class experience for our customers and a great work environment for our team. Having a positive and transparent... More

7. "LifeStorage"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Life Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

LifeStorage is a great company to work for. There is room for growth and they have an outstanding team!

Cons

I don't have any complaints at all!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Mar 31, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

We appreciate your positive comments and ongoing commitment to providing a best-in-class experience for our customers and a great work environment for our team. Thanks for the feedback!

"Outstanding Company! Amazing People!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Life Storage (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Comfortable work atmosphere.
    - Room for growth
    - Life & work balance.
    - Supportive management
    - Friendly and supportive peers

Cons

There are no cons to the company. The position you take on is as hard as you want to make it. The company and job is very transparent.

Advice to Management

Keep making the right moves to grow the company!

Mar 1, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

We are very appreciative of your positive feedback on your experiences with LifeStorage! We are proud to provide our associates a supportive and collaborative work environment, while they support our... More

"Great Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Life Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company has offered me the opportunity to spend more time with my family as we work normal hours. We are given a salary that is better than the competition. The bonus structure is set up with attainable goals and with attention and focus can be earned every month. The upper management team is easy to talk to and encourages ideas from the team. Credit is given when it is due and positive feedback is encouraged. I feel that this is a company that I can grow with and with my experience I look forward to this opportunity. LifeStorage continues to add positions to help support the facilities and make daily processes easier.

Cons

Medical benefits are a little expensive but there are options so that a person can choose what would work with their budget. It is sometimes difficult to get an answer to some issues as the district managers are very busy.

Advice to Management

Our Director of Operations is amazing, my advice to her is to continue to support your teams in the positive respectful manner that you always do. Know that you have a team that supports you and is willing to help whenever and wherever possible, don't hesitate to ask your team for advice as we are with the customers everyday.
    Our District Managers, please support your manager's decisions and if you have to override us please let the customer know that this is an exception and that the store manager was following company direction and you are choosing to make an exception...this gives us the credibility that we need to manage the business.

Dec 28, 2015 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your positive comments and ongoing commitment to providing a best-in-class experience for our customers. We always appreciate suggestions of what more we can do to continue supporting... More

"Great Company with tremendous opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Life Storage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been with company for almost a year and absolutely love this company!! A new company with tremendous growth opportunity in the near future makes this a great place for someone who wants to move up with a growing organization. Company empowers managers to "own" their business and drive results and rewards you for exceeding your goals and giving 100%. Customers can be difficult at times but overall are great to work with. Upper management is extremely supportive of those in the field and work hard to create a positive culture for you to work in.

Cons

Dealing with difficult customers can be touchy and stressful at times.
    Facility maintenance can be very difficult to balance at times with customers and other tasks. Would be nice to have more payroll to help with day to day tasks.

Advice to Management

Continue to do what you are doing and provide a great environment for your employees. It's nice to work for a company that is concerned about the well-being of those that work for them.

Nov 20, 2015 – Director of Human Resources

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and providing great suggestions. Our goal is to support our amazing team and continue to provide best-in-class service for each customer who walks through our door... More