Life Storage Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Life Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Hours
    Holidays off
    Nice bonuses
    Lenient schedules
    Team work

Cons

You are the maintenance person
    1 RVP micromanages
    Pay could be better or lower work load
    Ridiculous survey/review standards
    More staffing hours

Advice to Management

Set realistic goals as far as the reviews most people only post review's for bad service and definitely don't post if no incentive offered.

2. "Garbage"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Life Storage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None whatsoever! Steer clear of this wreck! If you value a stress free life, stay the hell away!

Cons

Garbage garbage garbage garbage garbage garbage garbage garbage garbage garbage garbage garbage garbage

Advice to Management

Swallow all of the garbage you feed store managers and choke on it!!!!!!

3. "Marketing Manger"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Life Storage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work environment, good people, very much in growth mode

Cons

Conservative with salary and promotions

Advice to Management

Be more open to paying people what they are worth

5. "Great people to work for."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Life Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We really worked well together as a whole. The corporation was built to be sold and they created revenue faster than any other storage company in the market

Cons

There was little room for advancement because of the businesses model but everyone was a pleasure to work with on a daily basis

Advice to Management

Please do it all over again. It was a fun and competitive atmosphere to work in. I was glad to be a part of company.

6. "Property Manager"

Former Employee - Property Manager in Georgetown, TX
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Georgetown, TX

I worked at Life Storage (More than a year)

Pros

PTO, 401K match, health Insurance, no evenings (closes at 6)

Cons

Work alone most of the time. Work 2 weekends of the month, Alot of paperwork

Advice to Management

Save trees - use less paper,

"I hope our culture continues"

I have been working at Life Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-better pay than most self storage company's
    -good benefits
    -commission is challenging, yet achievable
    -buildings are well maintained and the best in the industry
    - I have learned a lot about properties and building management
    - district managers are always supportive
    - schedule of work. No late nights

Cons

-company was sold to Uncle Bob's. I hope we are able to keep our culture in tact as we will now be governed by a publicly traded company.
    -not many paid holidays
    - if you don't achieve your goals you get "0" monthly commission. Those months can be tough

Advice to Management

As I move to the new LifeStorage I hope we can continue to offer our customers the same special services we do now.

"Great managers"

I have been working at Life Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great hours and tons of flexibility as long as you communicate! Upper management doesn't micro manage but is willing to help out if there is communication! Sometimes upper management gets bad reviews but it's usually because people feel entitled to more money for doing less work. This a property management job...therefore yes you maintain and up keep your facility. If you take pride in your job and yourself then the storage industry is a great field to be in!

Cons

People complain all the time. As a manager you expect it from customers but it's sad when store managers do nothing but complain to the wrong people! If you have a bad experience in this industry it's because you have poor communication. Be intelligent and proactive if you have an issue...don't just complain to team members!

Advice to Management

I wish you all the best of luck with the new direction the company is going in now. Hopefully the great managers will be kept!

"Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX

Pros

It's a job to pay your bills. That's it.

Cons

Low pay. Rules and Policies are broken or adjustments are made by company to fit their needs. Management and upper Management Favoritism to only employees they like. No recognition by management. Advances or promoting only for those they like. Hiring from outside of company, not within. Open seven days a week, be prepared to work weekends.

Advice to Management

Pay the little person more money,that is making all the money for the company day in and day out. Hold all employees accountable and don't show favoritism. Have more paid Holidays off, just as the corporate office gets.

"Great Place to Work!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

I have been with this company for almost 2 years and have never regretted my decision to join this company. Initially I was hesitant to enter the self-storage industry but after meeting with upper management and deciding to join have had a wonderful experience with this Company!!
    Upper management is extremely supportive and is always available to assist when you have any problem you need help with, Company promotes from within for positions at the next level as trainers & lead managers, Benefits while a little expensive (aren't they all now with Obamacare!!) but the coverage you get is outstanding!!
    WORK LIFE BALANCE is a plus here!!!!!!!!!!!! Expect to work hard when you come to work, but that should be expected with any job if you are going to give 110% to the person who is giving you your paycheck!!
    Overall, if you want to work in the self-storage industry, this is the premier company to work for and you will not regret joining this amazing team!

Cons

Customer issues can be very sticky and when compared to retail a lot more complicated. However, upper management is supportive in handling the situations with you.

Advice to Management

None! Great Company, Great Culture, Great Service!!!!
    Thank you for making this such a fantastic place for us to work in!!!!

Life Storage Response

May 24, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Thanks for the great feedback! We are proud of all our associates who give their commitment to providing a best-in-class experience for our customers and a great work environment for our team. It’s ... More

11. "Store Manager"

Current Employee - Storage Manager in Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Storage Manager in Aurora, IL

I have been working at Life Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are a fair price they offer everything from medical, dental, vision and life. The bonus structure is great if you work hard and take pride in your job you will be rewarded for it. Upper management is extremely approachable if you ever need to talk to them about anything they always have an open door policy. The job in its entirety is all around excellent.

Cons

Upper management/executives need to communicate more when it comes to changing policies and system updates. Store closings on Christmas eve and some summer holidays because there is not much foot traffic in the store offices those days.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and thank you for always having have the store managers back when it comes to certain situations.

Life Storage Response

Apr 22, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

We appreciate your positive comments and ongoing commitment to providing a best-in-class experience for our customers and a great work environment for our team. Having a positive and transparent ... More