Life Technologies Reviews in Carlsbad, CA | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Life Technologies President Mark Stevenson
Mark Stevenson

Pros
  • Great people, Good benefits, Easy Commute (in 16 reviews)

• Highly driven environment, cutting edge technology and science (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Constant change led to burn-out of some employees (in 11 reviews)

• R&D portfolio reduced, not as ambitious as it used to be (in 10 reviews)

1. "Collaborative Excellence"

Former Employee - Pricing Specialist in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Pricing Specialist in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Life Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Life Technologies has a culture of working towards a common goal, valuing the contribution of every employee and finding a way to get it done. Work life balance, diversity, global diversity, remote work opportunities fair salary and benefits round out the experience. They set a standard that is hard to beat.

Cons

None that come to mind, it's a very progressive company with solid leadership and forward vision. Well done!

2. "fas"

Former Employee - Field Applications Scientist in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Field Applications Scientist in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Life Technologies (More than 3 years)

Pros

good people, dynamic environment, high impact technologies and international culture at both managerial level and across the organization. Good benefit, decent work life balance

Cons

no margin of negotiation, listen to employees if there are issue and try to solve the issue rather then deviating or just let vent people. pro active approach across the different session of the company and communication is sometimes not working as it should..

Advice to Management

3. "Ex Life Tech Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Total Account Manager in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Total Account Manager in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Life Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Worked on a fantastic team with a wonderful manager. In general, Life Technologies was fairly innovative (though they ultimately lost the NGS war with Illumina). The majority of people that work at Life are bright, kind and dedicated to the mission. Work-life balance was fantastic as all of the sales teams are remote (though the flip side is not as much camaraderie). Mark Stevenson is a very talented CEO and the company was lucky to see Greg Lucier (very charismatic, but also a very narcissistic politician) leave. I always felt that I was well paid and enjoyed the work.

Cons

The middle management could work harder at Life Tech. It's also not the most professional place that I've ever worked, which is good and bad. Not all meetings start on time and not everyone is always striving to do their best -- people get a little complacent.

Advice to Management

Eliminate the 'Old Boys Club' vibe that existed at Invitrogen and insist of a meritocracy. Also, if the company is supposed to be innovative, you have to actually invest in innovation (i.e. R&D). While Life would spend over a million a day on R&D, the budget didn't increase over 5 years....and we fell behind competitors. I'm sure it's worse now that the company is owned by Thermo.

5. "Solid company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Life Technologies (More than 5 years)

Pros

Innovative, open to new ideas, good benefits (standard in the biotech industry). Management open to try new approaches to problems. Strong focus on profitability.

Cons

After merger with TFS innovative cycle slowed down.

"Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Life Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company that was innovative with a genuine commitment to making the world a better place and in letting it employees know that each and everyone of us were a key player in that goal.

Cons

The company was acquired and quickly started loosing some of the culture that I grew to know and love.

7. "Sr. Project Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Life Technologies (More than a year)

Pros

Quarterly updates with the CEO.
    Management 1x1 - feedback and support weekly
    Good people to worked with everyone worked together when needed. Fast paced environment - focused on meeting deadlines.
    Large Onsite gym with trainers. Social sports and fun events.

Cons

No onsite cafeteria; a very small cafe was put in the Newton building.
    Management decisions were not shared to impacted individuals; not everyone was on the same page.
    Some managers and executives were yellers; thought that went out in the 1970s.

Advice to Management

Employee survey feedback is in place; use that to help drive employee led committees to improve the results.

"Life Technologies Review"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Life Technologies as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I took pride in the the fact that Life Technologies, now Thermo Fisher Scientific had a great product portfolio. The scientists and technical specialists involved in the marketing and sales departments were very knowledgable and a joy to work with.

Cons

Limited opportunity for career growth and as an organization not very open to visa sponsorship except in the IT department.

9. "Manufacturing Technician"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

Pros

Great Company Culture and Technologies. Cafeteria and benefits are really good, as is the campus in Carlsbad. San Diego is also a great place to live.

Cons

North County does not have as much going on as further south, but on the other hand property is a lot cheaper up there and the area is growing

Advice to Management

I am in no position to give advice. They're killing it in my opinion, although I have not worked there since they got bought by thermo fisher. Things may be different now.

10. "Easy to survive in, difficult to thrive in"

Former Employee - Scientist I in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Scientist I in Carlsbad, CA

Pros

Easy to learn about the basics of how to do your job well. The people that worked there are very welcoming and diverse.

Cons

Felt very much like a factory, individual effort isn't noticed as much, especially in the lower positions. Changes in SOPs are not well communicated.

Advice to Management

Communicate more efficiently and clearly.

11. "Tough place to work but good people"

Former Employee - Finance Manager in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Life Technologies (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced environment, the days flew by. There were definitely opportunities to advance as many sought other opportunities outside the company.

Cons

Constantly changing environment with new financial systems and buying new companies. Tough place to work if your group had people resistant to change as mine did.

Advice to Management

Not really sure what advice to offer, this is a small company that got huge very very fast. It's a tough environment at times when you have folks used to "the old way" when integration and buying other companies and expansion is the new norm.