Life Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Life Technologies Reviews

Updated June 7, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great people, Good benefits, Easy Commute (in 16 reviews)

• Highly driven environment, cutting edge technology and science (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Constant change led to burn-out of some employees (in 11 reviews)

• R&D portfolio reduced, not as ambitious as it used to be (in 10 reviews)

"What horrible company"

Former Employee - Material Handler in Frederick, MD
    Former Employee - Material Handler in Frederick, MD

I worked at Life Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hours my Co workers were very helpful.

Cons

Horrible management going to the cooler to the freezer wasn't any fun. It was hard to meet the quota when there were so many people in both rooms.I got yelled at because a product was in a wrong spot and it was a problem and I addressed it only to get yelled at for it then I was laid off later that day. Before we started the so called management went over the quotas and filled out a chart. I thought we were in a kindergarten class.

Advice to Management

There shouldn't be any time on getting the product. People work in different pace and people who work hard but not as fast shouldn't be fired. Hire mangers that know what the hell there doing and treat people with respect. Get rid of the temp company hire full-time employees.

"Difficult place to work and develop a career"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Life Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

* Wonderful peers in my business area with highly collaborative spirit
    * Cutting edge technologies are fun to work with

Cons

* Too many organizational changes (starting long before the Thermo Fisher acquisition) make it difficult to gain traction with direct manager who is often key to career growth and promotions
    * Leaders centralize decision making to high levels of the organization, making it difficult for employees to make a positive impact on the company's strategy
    * Managers often seem to be more interested in gaining power than doing the right thing for the business
    * Short-term focus on financial results often leads to failure to capitalize on longer-term strategies or to put the customer first in the business relationship
    * Divisions are more apt to compete with each other rather than collaborate to create innovations, which is at odds with the stated culture of the company

3. "Smart bunch of people"

Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Life Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people. Smart people. Good pay.

Cons

When we were bought out by Thermo Fisher there was a lot of unsurety about who would be staying and going. Communication was lacking from immediate managers.

"Challenging but very stressful"

Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Life Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Unique role as a tool provider for the life sciences industry, exciting technologies, smart scientists and co-workers

Cons

Very frequent re-organizations, mergers and employee turnovers, 24/7 on-call mentality, serious burn-out of very good dedicated people, too much focus on current-quarter returns

Advice to Management

Invest in your people and long-term R&D, commit to real work/life balance

"Fast paced, on the go, good culture"

Former Employee - Finance in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Finance in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Life Technologies (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good culture. Sometimes too fast and lose sight of vision, but overall good company. Slightly different now that they are a part of ThermoFisher Scientific. Regular merit increases and bonuses have always been paid.

Cons

Competing personalities, some team players, some not, drive good efforts, but also lose focus. Moving up within the company is challenging unless you live and breathe the corporate mantra. They preach acceptance of all views, but if you don't fit what they want you to, growth is limited.

Advice to Management

Truly accept differing personalities, and not just the corporate-type personalities where speaking the loudest (and not necessarily the most wise choice of words) is viewed as "someone who brings a voice to the table." That corporate thinking only stifles true thoughts, that you say you promote. Still a good place to work, but still challenges to overcome.

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Calabasas, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Calabasas, CA

I worked at Life Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked with a talented and respectful group of people. I loved the company culture, great campus, lunch room environments and gym. Fast paced you certainly couldn't get bored working here.

Cons

Not enough people to get the work done in a timely fashion. Too much overtime.

"Good company, pay, and benefits, but limited growth potential"

Former Employee - Senior IT Engineer in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Senior IT Engineer in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Life Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good (not great) working environment, good benefits (including the on-site gym). Company takes reasonable effort to keep cost of health care in check without giving up too much of the service. Good pay.

Cons

Limited growth potential. Practically speaking, among all people I've seen there, if people wanted to grow, they left the company. The HR *think* they are committed to career nurturing, in fact, it is very difficult to grow inside the company. Additionally, people may develop a feeling of being detached from the strategic mission, because their voice practically not heard (which perhaps not surprising, giving the size of the company)

Advice to Management

Provide environment where people could grow.

"A good company to work for"

Former Employee - Senior Field Applications Scientist in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Field Applications Scientist in Rockville, MD

I worked at Life Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Big company to have many opportunities for one to grow

Cons

Depending on the division you are working at, the culture may be different. And some of them are not that great

9. "Good opportunity, changes are coming"

Current Employee - Scientist in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Scientist in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Life Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good opportunities for ambitious people. Cool technologies to provide a lot to learn. Talent people to work with. High octane `pace to test one's mettle. Decent compensation and benefits.

Cons

Corporate politics start to affect work. Different teams tend to point fingers rather than collaborate for which the senior management not always acts like a good referee. Constant changes since the acquisition and more on the horizon.

"Foster City. Smart people, famous "great" workplace culture not always accurate."

Former Employee - Content Manager in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Content Manager in Foster City, CA

I worked at Life Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most people there value your contributions more than the time you spend at the office. The teams are very coordinated and connected; they communicate every step of the way. They trust you to work with high-level staff within a very short period of time. Very interesting and exciting body of knowledge with which to work.

Cons

Training was by documentation; the documentation was out of date, which we learned by spending time producing the wrong results.

Advice to Management

There's a relevant adage: "Most people don't leave their jobs--they leave their managers." Like in most work environments, some of the managers would benefit (and their teams would benefit) if they took management courses.