Life Time Fitness Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Life Time Fitness Chairman, President, and CEO Bahram Akradi
Bahram Akradi

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours to establish an effective business and rapport with potential clients (in 93 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't have proper knowledge of the department which makes things tough at times (in 57 reviews)

"Company draws you in with great mission and a "purpose" that doesn't exist"

Former Employee - Kids Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Kids Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free membership. If you are an Assistant Manager or below you will have to pay for your family if you want to add them to your membership. Your children under 12 are free.

Cons

You will be told it is a mission led company. It is a lie. They focus you in on the mission to make you feel like you are doing work that has a "purpose" and that you are having an impact. This is to make your work feel fulfilling and thus get employees to stay longer with a company ranked worst on pay, benefits, life balance, training, turnover, happiness, and more. Pay is low across the board. Management has high turnover. Entry level positions have extremely high turnover. Life Time does not give raises. Period. Some managers have been there 10 years and never received a raise. Wants to be best place to work but refuses to give raises or pay employees much above minimum wage. Managers are expected to work 55-70 hours a week with no overtime pay. Only get 10 PTO days a year and does not increase with tenure. There is no holiday pay for anyone including hourly employees who work the actual holiday. Training dollars are only invested in Sales, Personal Training, and Member Services. Kids employees, even entry level, have to complete 14-18 hours of online training before they can even start in person training. Online Training is extremely ineffective. Training is paid at minimum wage as are meetings. It's become a cut throat environment with new owners. Dollar is all that matters.

2. "Life Time Employee Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chanhassen, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chanhassen, MN

I have been working at Life Time Fitness part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only pro I can think of off the top of my head is a free membership to the club (however it is only a specific set of clubs not any Lifetime location).

Cons

Upper management does not care about anyone, the company does not care about experience at all they just want to take everyone's' money, clubs are falling apart but upper management refuses to fix existing clubs while opening multiple new clubs yearly.

Advice to Management

You are only as strong as your weakest player. If you continue to pretend that struggling clubs don't exist you won't build a stronger company.

3. "Worst Company for Work/Life Balance"

Former Employee - Department Manager in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Plano, TX

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time (More than a year)

Pros

** Environment encourages healthy behaviors.
    ** The managers all become close and rely heavily upon each other.
    ** You can advance, eventually.
    ** The members can be amazing.

Cons

** They preach work/life balance but do not honor it AT ALL. The hours you are expected to work are extremely long and they will add to it if the club isn't performing well or you score low on an executive audit. The GMs are all beat down and take it out on the department managers.

** Upper management just doesn't care about the department managers and their unreachable goals. Managers are often out drinking together and ranting about how miserable and overworked they are due to constantly having to cast (even if there isn't an open position...you are required to constantly interview), manage your own department goals, manage your department team, keep up with overall club management/cleanliness, work all events outside of your department, decorate for Christmas on Thanksgiving night starting at 7pm (even if you have a family dinner planned you will get written up if you don't show up - this happened to three of us in Plano), work weekends, work an overnight shift once a quarter to clean the entire club (it happens on a school night and single moms like myself will be required to make arrangements to stay.)

** Upper management will show up for "surprise audits" and fail your entire club miserably and shame you into submission because this person on your team panicked and couldn't recite the mission statement under pressure, and this door has wood chipping off of it, and the towel bins were filled on a busy Saturday and Operations was shorthanded and doing the best they could, and many other reasons that occur daily in the trenches of the club while upper management pops in and out and pretends they know more than those in the trenches.

** They penny pinch and pay so little that you are forced to give the main jobs on your team to teenagers and this leads to high turnovers and no-shows, forcing managers to cover double shifts.

** I have worked for a few big corporations and this is by far the worst one. I wouldn't wish this company on my worst enemy.

Advice to Management

Wake up and start living all the BS culture you force everyone to memorize, yet refuse to actually put into action within the company. The company culture and upper management is killing this company and their top management talent...which is why we all are happily with other companies and still hang out and drink to our "surviving Life Time Fitness."

5. "A joke of a company!"

Former Employee - Operations in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Operations in Boston, MA

I worked at Life Time Fitness part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free membership is the only thing

Cons

Horrible, degrading pay
    Inexperienced management
    Intolerable members
    Petulant coworkers
    No work/life balance
    Did I mention pay was poop for the work I put in?!

Advice to Management

Increase pay or continue to experience drastically increased turnover
    Hire and better training for management- where do you find these dumbo's? Clown school?

6. "overworked, under paid, no room for growth if you are not friends with management"

Former Employee - Assistant Operations Manager in Syosset, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Operations Manager in Syosset, NY

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the team atmosphere, free gym membership

Cons

corporate standards too high, employees are not happy, very little PTO accumulated over a long period of time, hard to get time off, management only cares about their friends, ALOT of favoritism, no work/life balance even if you become a manager you are always in the gym. The manager of operation practically lived in that gym, it was sad.

Advice to Management

Be fair, promote people that deserve it not because they are a certain race or because they are your friends, treat your employees better-they work really hard, show them they are doing a good job.

7. "LifeCafe Team Member"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peachtree Corners, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peachtree Corners, GA

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time

Pros

Gym membership included with employment.
    Thirty percent discount on in club purchases.

Cons

Low level of business acumen of management team. No business education required of management. No employee development. Questionable policy and controls with limited oversight of finances.

Advice to Management

Require proper oversight and financial policy and controls are in place. Department Heads need to have fiscal oversight and accountability.

8. "Terrible Managment"

Former Employee - Front Desk in Harrison, NY
    Former Employee - Front Desk in Harrison, NY

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free membership...that's about it.

Cons

Hours are bad and they give you zero flexibility. If you have a problem with a coworker, but they're friends with a manager, nothing will get solved. They expect you to clean up messes and help gym members when you're there on your free time, and if you don't they yell at you. Double standards for anyone who is friends with managers, you could be yelled at for dress code, but a coworker will not. Managers are rude and condicending. My often would not get a break, but when I complained I was told that there is no time during the day for me to have a break. On the rare occasion I was allowed a break, I would constantly be called on the walkie to get back even when my break was no where near being over. And again, if you were friends with a manager, you could take as many breaks for however long you liked. They also expect you go keep up with their emails and "education" during your off time, absolutely ridiculous for $10 an hour.

Advice to Management

Stop with the buddy-buddy crap between managers and employees. Rules should be followed by everyone. FYI I didn't put the correct last year worked as I know the people who are still there are big enough jerks to still annoy me.

"Poor management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Life Time Fitness (More than 5 years)

Pros

They teach you both how to and how not to run a business.

Cons

Life Time greatly under pay employee. Management uses guilt, intimidation and threats to keep employees from taking breaks, vacations or days off. Management is given a slap on the wrist when they show security videos of members or sexually harass employees. This company does not care about their employees in any way.

Advice to Management

Retrain the entire management staff on ethics, conflict resolution and any other management skill possible. Respect employees time off. Pay employees for their hard work.

10. "Burn Ouy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodstock, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodstock, GA

Pros

Free membership for employees . Make great friends and very clean. Cafe has good food too. 24/7 club for members yet staff feels like they work 24/7.

Cons

They burn you out, they take away the meaning of family time yet it is a family facility . You work extensive hours and burn you out. Having to try to make sales calls past 8pm till at least 9 to 10pm. All about themselves.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees .

11. "Sucked"

Former Contractor - Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Contractor - Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Life Time Fitness as a contractor

Pros

You got a gym membership along with working there. But that's it that's the only pro.

Cons

There was never any type of direction and even when trying to be proactive that was never good enough either. They were always trying to find ways to do things illegally.

Showing 231 of 1,688 reviews