Life Time Fitness Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1,755 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours to establish an effective business and rapport with potential clients (in 93 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't have proper knowledge of the department which makes things tough at times (in 59 reviews)

1. "Doesn't Practice What They Preach"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chanhassen, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chanhassen, MN

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time

Pros

Usually normal hours, free membership

Cons

Health plans don't cover spouses if they have health offered through their employer or ANY mental health care, treatment or diagnosis -- which is shameful for a company whose entire brand is built around supportin a healthy way of life.

Advice to Management

Follow the company's founding principles i action, not just lip service.

2. "PT"

Current Employee - Trainer
    Current Employee - Trainer

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Performance based pay, energetic environment, innovative company.

Cons

A constantly changing pay structure, a game of "favorites" being played among management and employees

3. "not for everyone...especially lazy clockers"

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time

Pros

Amazing health clubs, a mission you can get behind, huge vision for the future, consistent high level of expectations

Cons

None. Don't apply because it sounds like a "fun" job. This is the big leagues. Go to crunch, golds or 24 first.

Advice to Management

Trust your business leaders. Stop micromanaging. Unless you want to blow threw some of the best of the best talent around.

4. "Member Services"

I worked at Life Time Fitness part-time

Pros

Free membership, very flexible hours

Cons

Poor management techniques were used.

5. "Good management, poor interpersonal relations"

I have been working at Life Time Fitness part-time

Pros

Fun environment, always on my toes, learned a lot, flexible work environment

Cons

sexual harassment by fellow employee

Advice to Management

management of employees and better communication, potentially staff meetings so as to gauge interpersonal conflict

6. "Personal Trainer"

Pros

Get good experience, lots of different ways to sell, paid time off, great gym environment

Cons

Pay is low unless in management, too many trainers on staff, high rates for training= harder to retain clients

Advice to Management

reduce rates and it would be easier to keep clients

7. "Cool Gym"

Pros

Nice gym, good facilities for all

Cons

too expensive, not cheap enough

Advice to Management

lower prices

"Growing, growing....love it."

Current Employee - Facilities Operations Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Facilities Operations Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Life Time Fitness part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very diverse and fun group of people. Most employees I meet have an awesome attitude and a determined mindset on where they are currently and what they'd like to accomplish in the future.

The atmosphere of each club varies and is different based on when I go to each club, but team members are usually kind and mostly welcoming, even when they find out you're a team member and work for the company just as they do.

The architecture of the clubs are wonderfully beautiful and calming. Lighting varies based on each club and the rooms you work out in and how the locker rooms are set up, but I've never been one to complain about it.

There are an endless amount of people you can connect and meet in the Life Time member and team member community, I enjoy the club scene and the free weights area specifically since I meet most of my Life Time friends and connections when I'm working out.

Overall, I love Life Time and everything they stand for and offer to their members and team members. It's a growing industry in itself apart from the Health, Wellness, Fitness Industry the world has already created and collaborated on. Life Time's team member benefits are only going to get better as the company grows and as the influx of revenue increases trhoughout time.

I will say it would be nice to receive certain benefits as team members reach each milestone (5 years, 10 years, 15 years, 20 years, etc.) since commitment is what this company stands most firm on and how it's represented and stressed on to both its members and team members throughout the Life Time community.

Attrition is also key to maintaining a great team member community for each Life Time club since members are always happy to see the team members they make relationships with and having them work with those members for as long as possible to keep customer satisfaction consistent and high.

Life Time rocks!

Cons

Being apart of the Health, Wellness, Fitness Industry, it's tough to deal with people (specifically some, but not all personal trainers and yoga instructors at times) who come off as acting better than everyone else and usually shutting out certain people in their bubble of communication due to possibly being or feeling threatened by those who are just as good as being a trainer or yoga instructor as they are or even being really in shape (not tooting my own horn, but I take a lot of pride into making my physique look great since its been a passion of mine since middle school to stay in the best of shape).

Other than some jealousy which floats around the club at times, people are very welcoming and usually very interested in meeting other team members, both part time and full time and growing together as a Life Time community.

Advice to Management

As far as advice goes to management, I would increase the difficulty and stress more on the importance of the interviewing process for ALL job descriptions at Life Time clubs and Corporate center. Good attitude goes a long way in a company, and even though we all have our bad days, we need team members who can perform beyond the bad day they're having and leave personal issues at the door upon entering the club or Corporate center for their shift.

I would also stress more on the importance of team member communication between departments and how proper verbal communication is needed at all times, slow and busy, summer or winter, for departments to keep their team members and attrition rates low to be able to focus on team member benefits in the long run and to maintain fresh, familiar faces for members to see on a daily, seasonal and yearly basis.

Thank you.

9. "LifeSpa"

I have been working at Life Time Fitness part-time

Pros

Incredible staff, high-energy work environment, great job perks

Cons

pay is low, Corporate seems far removed from the everyday goings-on, inappropriate/unnecessary promotions are taking away from quality of the Brand

Advice to Management

Remember that your "performers" are the heart of the company. Treat them well and they'll stick around and give you their best. Start taking away great side benefits (such as a company wide team member discount) from an already low rate of pay, and turnover will happen even faster. Keep deeply discounting Spa services to both LT members AND non-members, and it's only going to hurt the overall Brand. A high school business class knows better than to believe a 40% discount is going to actually increase retention and build business.

10. "Summer Camp Counselor"

Former Employee - Summer Camp Counselor in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Summer Camp Counselor in Austin, TX

I worked at Life Time Fitness part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lifetime is a very nice gym. Camp was a lot of fun and I enjoyed it for the most part. The free membership is also a big plus

Cons

The wage is very low, and sometimes if they hired too many counselors it was hard to get a decent amount of hours

Showing 1,755 of 1,773 reviews