Life Time Fitness Reviews | Glassdoor

1,682 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,682 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours to establish an effective business and rapport with potential clients (in 93 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't have proper knowledge of the department which makes things tough at times (in 57 reviews)

1. "Kids Academy Team Member"

Current Employee - Kids Activities Team Member in Syosset, NY
    Current Employee - Kids Activities Team Member in Syosset, NY

I have been working at Life Time Fitness part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly environment, free club membership, room to grow within company

Cons

Uniform is a must, you are always on the job even when you think you are not

2. "Camp Counselor"

Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun staff and field trip locations.

Cons

Unorganized environment, long training hours.

"Group Fitness Instructor/Personal Trainer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chanhassen, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chanhassen, MN

I have been working at Life Time Fitness part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some flexibility with the hours

Cons

Not enough pay for expected work performed

Advice to Management

Increase pay to employees while giving compensation for meetings and trainings.

"Personal Trainer"

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome facility and equipment, fun initial environment

Cons

Turn and burn for personal trainers, good luck lasting more than 2 years

Advice to Management

Be consistent with your rules for your trainers, quit nagging over every little detail.

"I had a lot of hope for my career here!"

Former Employee - Assistant Memer Services Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Assistant Memer Services Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is so nice to work for a company with like-minded people. For the most part, employees are young, energetic, and have a passion for health and fitness. The facilities are beautiful and well-kept. Coming to work every day is social, and that makes work fun!

Cons

I worked for Life Time for 4 years, received over 7 promotions with the company, and at the end of my employment was only making $15/hr. I chose to quit because even as a manager at Life Time Fitness, I could not afford to pay my bills. Change, although it can be good, was presented very poorly at Life Time. They give you little to no notice of changes happening in the company that effect how your employees are paid. These quick changes also give a very poor member experience that has caused many people to leave Life Time as members. Another HUGE con is not that the company is open 365 days a year, but that if you work on a holiday, you are not compensated for it. No holiday pay. Period. No sick/personal days.

Advice to Management

Consistency is key. Do for all employees and members the same for one person as you would for another. CORPORATE needs to realize that if they pay their employees fairly, that they would not see as high of a turnover rate as they currently are seeing. At the end of the day, Life Time employees are overworked for what they are expected to do. Especially those that do not work in a commission-based job. Member Services is the FACE of your company. Pay enough and you will see that the people wanting to work for your company and this job in particular are applying because they are experienced and skilled in customer service, not because they just need a part-time job while they are still immature and in high school. Someone who is qualified is going to turn down a job when they are offered $10/hour. You simply cannot afford to live in Scottsdale, AZ as an adult and make this kind of money.

7. "LifeCafe Team Member"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peachtree Corners, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peachtree Corners, GA

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time

Pros

Gym membership included with employment.
    Thirty percent discount on in club purchases.

Cons

Low level of business acumen of management team. No business education required of management. No employee development. Questionable policy and controls with limited oversight of finances.

Advice to Management

Require proper oversight and financial policy and controls are in place. Department Heads need to have fiscal oversight and accountability.

"Work, work, work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great people to collaborate with, you have opportunity to grow and move around the US, fast pace environment, learn how to multi-task and change on a dime. The perks of getting to workout during your work day and be involved with community.

Cons

long work weeks, sometimes the work load is intense and expectancy to make things right for members or to change your numbers within a days notice. Communication at times lacks between different departments when they are supposed to be collaborating together so there aren't mixed signals to members and guests.

Advice to Management

clear expectations and succession plans for each employee, believe in the managers you have in place or station corp members in the club until find a new replacement, the work load needs to be divided more between manager and assistants.

9. "Terrible Managment"

Former Employee - Front Desk in Harrison, NY
    Former Employee - Front Desk in Harrison, NY

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free membership...that's about it.

Cons

Hours are bad and they give you zero flexibility. If you have a problem with a coworker, but they're friends with a manager, nothing will get solved. They expect you to clean up messes and help gym members when you're there on your free time, and if you don't they yell at you. Double standards for anyone who is friends with managers, you could be yelled at for dress code, but a coworker will not. Managers are rude and condicending. My often would not get a break, but when I complained I was told that there is no time during the day for me to have a break. On the rare occasion I was allowed a break, I would constantly be called on the walkie to get back even when my break was no where near being over. And again, if you were friends with a manager, you could take as many breaks for however long you liked. They also expect you go keep up with their emails and "education" during your off time, absolutely ridiculous for $10 an hour.

Advice to Management

Stop with the buddy-buddy crap between managers and employees. Rules should be followed by everyone. FYI I didn't put the correct last year worked as I know the people who are still there are big enough jerks to still annoy me.

10. "horrible"

Current Employee - Facilities in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Facilities in Austin, TX

I have been working at Life Time Fitness (More than a year)

Pros

none unless you are full time

Cons

you will hate this job, believe me

11. "Not what it used to be"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place if you like fitness and living a healthy lifestyle.

Cons

Way to much asked with increasingly lower compensation year over year. not feeling valued for the work or tenure of employment.

Advice to Management

revisit the company culture and ethics, to reinstate a degree of trust and professionalism in the work place.

Showing 1,682 of 1,697 reviews