Life's WORC Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Best place to work"

Current Employee - Supervisor of Day Hab in Garden City, NY
    Current Employee - Supervisor of Day Hab in Garden City, NY

I have been working at Life's WORC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My Director is the best. She cares about the people we support but also about the staff. She's always available to listen and give advice. She's hands on. She always does the right thing. Always professional. A true leader. Teaches and adapts to the agency culture. She's amazing to work for. The agency needs more people like her.

Cons

Some people in the agency should not be in positions that they are in. Our programs work extremely hard and are never recognized by Senior management who just sit at their desk doing nothing. Recognize my Director for all she does.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the Senior Director. Promote or motivate the people who bust their butts.

2. "Good people, hard workers and positive atmosphere"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Nassau, NY
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Nassau, NY

I have been working at Life's WORC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and focus on work life balance. There is strong leadership and opportunities for advancement. Management seems to have become more focused on leadership development which is a good thing!

Cons

The Industry is changing and so the company seems to trying to adapt. That means systems are changing which can be hard for us because it feels like more work initially.

Advice to Management

Keep communication open and teach us the changes in the industry so we understand the effect on our job. Overall a great place to work.

"Lacking best practices, consistency, & demonstration of "Values"."

I have been working at Life's WORC full-time

Pros

Good opportunities for management and below.

Cons

Lack of growth opportunity for upper management.
    Behind in use of technology for process and operations.
    Recognition is infrequently merit based.

Advice to Management

Develop and retain your existing talent internally.

"You never know"

I have been working at Life's WORC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Since newer CEO has taken over, Core Values have diminished. I have no Pro’s at this time.

Cons

Core Values are gone and it is very sad to see an agency going down hill. I observe daily the gossip, demotions, long term staff leaving, nasty comments, Managers burning out, staff being asked to write positive comments on websites.... and the list goes on. Prior years the CEO was a social, warm, caring about the core values and what we stand for person. The current one, who was in accounting and got promoted to CEO has no clue the day to day operations that happen in the agency. The CEO has “pets” that run the areas that she lacks. Yes this field is changing but that doesn’t mean the values and morals have to change. It has been interesting in seeing people who have different titles (demotions) or people who have left (because something fishy is going on here) and hearing all the gossip about it.

Advice to Management

Get in the field, talk to staff, stop telling what you can’t do and see how you can help. You have become just another agency like the others that you all have looked down upon.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garden City, NY

I have been working at Life's WORC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have enjoyed my 5 years working in the main office. The atmosphere is positive overall, with excellent employees who are willing to assist each other whenever needed. I have found that my supervisors/managers take the time to listen to my opinions and take them into consideration. The benefits are great - better than I ever had in the private/for-profit sector. Work/life balance has been consistently excellent. I highly recommend joining the team.

Cons

Salaries tend to be a bit low, but are compensated for with great benefits. There is a lot of change in the industry as a whole (not just at Life's WORC) and employees that are not onboard or willing to adjust can be negative and uncooperative.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to employees at all levels and continue to create more opportunities for advancement.

6. "Life’s WORC"

Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Islip, NY
    Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Islip, NY

I have been working at Life's WORC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best job I have ever had! Real teamwork! The focus is 100 percent on the people we support ! The Family Center for Autism is cutting edge in supporting people with Autism!

Cons

Difference in Minimum wage between Long Island and Queens! Initial interview at the Garden City Office presented parking challenges- get there early!

Advice to Management

Take advantage of all the training opportunities! Embrace the CQL philosophy!

7. "Awful Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Franklin Square, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Franklin Square, NY

I worked at Life's WORC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You have the option of having a flexible schedule, but with the amount of workload you have, you try to get as much work in as possible hence your free time is no free time. WOULD NOT RECOMMEND AT ALL!

Cons

WOULD NOT RECOMMEND AT ALL! Good luck if you are in the field! This was the worst job I've ever had! You have very long work hours and extreme work overload. No proper training for staff. I was literally thrown case work to do without any proper training and was told “run with it” as crazy as it sounds. The sides are not clean and there isn't enough space in the office either. Management would constantly change paperwork requirements, management would not listen to staff concerns. Very high workload! Work can interfere with family and personal life. The staff members are rude and don't care about no one. All that management cares about is having the work done, but don’t care how the employees feel. It’s a very highly stressful environment. Hostile field to work in! Worst job/place ever!!

Advice to Management

Stop gossiping and help your staff. Stop constantly changing the organization and put that time into employees. stop pointing finers and work with staff instead of working against them

"Senior/Upper Management needs overhaul"

I worked at Life's WORC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with the individuals is the most rewarding part of the job.

Cons

Not enough staff and consistent staff turn over. Senior/Upper Management out of touch and under qualified. They worry more about positive review on Indeed and Glassdoor then fixing major issues in this agency. Senior Management directs staff to write positive reviews - don't let them fool you!

Advice to Management

Stop worrying about your reviews on Indeed and Glassdoor and fix what is really going on in your agency. Shame on you.

"A Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garden City, NY

I have been working at Life's WORC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The Agency really cares about their employees and tries to listen and take action for improvements.

Cons

As with any not for profit, the pay rates are low though competitive with other agencies in the field

Advice to Management

Take advantage of all the recognition programs Life's WORC offers.

"I love this agency"

I have been working at Life's WORC part-time (More than a year)

Pros

many opportunities for advancement great management

Cons

most good positions are far out in Long Island

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work towards your employees