LifeLong Medical Care Reviews | Glassdoor

LifeLong Medical Care Reviews

Updated June 20, 2018

Full-timePart-time

3.1
LifeLong Medical Care Director & CEO Marty Lynch, Ph.D.
Marty Lynch, Ph.D.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Awesome"

I have been working at LifeLong Medical Care full-time

Pros

It is great place to work

Cons

Love working with the patients

2. "Community-centered"

Pros

Great programs for the community

Cons

None that I can think of

"Not a rewarding place to be an RN"

Former Employee - Staff RN in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Oakland, CA

I worked at LifeLong Medical Care (Less than a year)

Pros

Great caring staff. Learned a lot about FQHCs. Loved the patients. 32hrs/week.

Cons

Low pay. One of the most poorly run companies I've worked at. Seemed to lack basic operations understanding which created poor patient care despite best efforts of front line staff. Constantly starting chasing a few dollars, starting new collaborations with no plan to be able to support projects long term.
    Have RNs but don't know how to use them. Seemed like our main job was to deal with angry patients who weren't getting care needs met by doctors.

Advice to Management

Do not start a new project unless you have a way to fund it long term. Remember that these are complex patients and it takes time to care for them. If providers are always running late, find out why. All your staff have ideas to improve care. The providers are not the only ones who have value.

4. "Great Mission"

I have been working at LifeLong Medical Care full-time

Pros

The organization has a great mission. Really passionate about helping the under-served community.

Cons

Politics, politics, politics. There is very little loyalty here for employees and the morale is low.

Advice to Management

Focus on taking care of the employees and encourage innovation.

5. "Medical staff"

I worked at LifeLong Medical Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The organization is doing really important work in caring for underserved populations and the mission is impressive. My supervisors were well intentioned and supportive to the best of their abilities. Flexible and understanding with time off requests. Genuinely enjoyed working with the patient population and some of the health care providers.

Cons

Extremely disorganized and under-resourced in some of their programs (not necessarily the full-scope clinics they operate, but peripheral programs). Hugely lacking in supervision, so much so that I rarely saw my co-workers in their offices and they got away with slacking and "working remotely" aka not at all without management noticing. Some staff were incredibly rude and borderline abusive to their co-workers, but nothing was done to rectify the situation or any disciplinary action taken. Overall, really good intentions that weren't carried out due to lack of structure, standards across the organization, low expectations of quality of work and stretched too thin.

Advice to Management

Focus on improving current initiatives and stop trying to expand so aggressively. Hold employees up to higher standards and KEEP THEM ACCOUNTABLE! Support and listen to staff more proactively and invest in their wellbeing and upward momentum rather than keeping them stagnant in their role for years. Implement STANDARDIZATION across clinical sites and have better defined processes and expectations of work.

6. "NP"

Pros

Amazing opportunities to work with the underserved in the Oakland Area. Our patient come a broad spectrum from homeless to working class.

Cons

The organizations leadership in our "Admin" office are not focused on servicing our patients' and communities needs. As a provider who lives in the community in Oakland, I am so disappointed in the leadership teams. Especially our CMO and CEO-- they are out of touch with the needs of the community. In my several years of working here, I have seen well intended initiative after initiative die slow deaths because they are out of touch on how deliver sustainable quality healthcare. The board is asleep at the wheel, rubber stamping the absentee CEO/CMO-- running on presumptions of effectiveness (Lynch) that are our decades old.

Advice to Management

A new board that holds executives accountable for delivery of high quality care. Culture that promotes investment in providers, instead burning through NPs like they are expendable.

7. "Great Company"

I worked at LifeLong Medical Care full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, leadership listens to staff

Cons

Not enough resources, needs better communication and organization between departments

"Medical Assistant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at LifeLong Medical Care full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great and the enviornment is very comfortable.

Cons

growth is very minimal at this location atleast. I didnt feel like i was getting acknowledged at all for the work i would do outside my tasks

9. "non-profit with deep roots in the East Bay"

I have been working at LifeLong Medical Care full-time

Pros

Org with passionate people for a good cause (healthcare for the underserved). Size has grown quickly in the last few years, which has opened up lots of job opportunities.

Cons

Infrastructure not keeping up with growth, and it's hard to know what's going on in departments and/or sites outside of your own. Pay could be higher.

"Clinic Managers and Admin Team Great to Work With!"

Former Employee - Human Resources Director in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Director in Berkeley, CA

I worked at LifeLong Medical Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a grass-roots not-for-profit. I reported to the former COO at the time, I wish that I had stayed on long enough so that I could report to her successor, who was previously a Clinic Director and had amazing people skills. Sadly, she moved on as well. All in all, the clinic managers were really respectful and hungry for assistance from HR. I always felt their support and respect.

Cons

The former COO was a penny-pincher. I was yelled at for putting together a procedures manual for the clinic managers / directors, and using 6 binders. I was told that I needed to be more cost conscious! At the time, did not receive a lot of support from her, and there were employee relations issues every day. A pat on the back, or a genuine, "How are you coping?" would have probably kept me there. As they say, "you don't leave your job, you leave your manager".

Advice to Management

Give your leadership team the tools they need to support their staff.