LifeSouth Community Blood Centers Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
LifeSouth Community Blood Centers President and CEO Nancy Eckert
Nancy Eckert

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You help save lives by delivering much needed blood products to local and regional hospitals (in 14 reviews)

• We do meaningful work by helping to save the lives of people in our community and when there's overflow, we are able to help other places too (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has terrible communication issues (in 11 reviews)

• Management treats everyone under them like their stupid, doesn't respect them at all (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great company, engaging work"

Current Employee - LifeCord in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - LifeCord in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at LifeSouth Community Blood Centers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The mission and work of LifeSouth very engaging. We do important work that saves lives every day. The work is varied and constantly changing, which keeps it interesting.

Benefits like PTO are above average, and there are plenty of other programs for employees to take advantage of if desired (health improvement, HSA matching, 403b investment account). Opportunities for career advancement are plentiful, allowing people can find their niche.

The company continues to adapt to the rapidly changing blood industry and is well positioned for continued success.

Cons

Fast-paced and changing work environment isn't for everyone.

2. "LifeCord"

Former Employee - Processor in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Processor in Gainesville, FL

I worked at LifeSouth Community Blood Centers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay was decent and co-workers were great.

Cons

Upper management has terrible communication issues. They claim they follow the SOP but break the rules of it all the time. Mainly I had problems with the management.It seems like they try to be extra nice when they are trying to cover something up. I left because of management. My manager was unprofessional and thought he was funny but he really was offensive and hurt peoples feelings. Many people have left because of him but he is still in his position with no reprimand. Manager did not appreciate the workers in my department and played favorites like crazy.

Advice to Management

Restructure in the department. Management needs to take classes on how to communicate with people and learn professional habits. Also they did not hold anyone accountable for their actions so bad habits continued.

3. "Not good"

Former Employee - Donor Services Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Donor Services Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at LifeSouth Community Blood Centers full-time

Pros

Patients are great and respectful

Cons

Management is cruel and they treat the employees terribly

4. "Mobile Team Leader"

Current Employee - Mobile Team Leader III in Madison, AL
    Current Employee - Mobile Team Leader III in Madison, AL

I have been working at LifeSouth Community Blood Centers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benifits! PTO Starts ect..plenty of room for advancement

Cons

Unstable long hours which you are made aware of in the beginning

Apr 4, 2017 – Talent Recruitment Coordinator

Thank you for your review! We are happy you are enjoying your employment with LifeSouth.

"High employee turnover for a reason"

Former Employee - Cerified Phlebotomist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Cerified Phlebotomist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at LifeSouth Community Blood Centers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I got to meet some really nice patients and made a few friends(who also left the company for good reason)

Cons

The management is terrible they talk about all their employees badly behind their backs and are extremely disrespectful. They don't have enough equipment and most of the supervisors are unparalleled in their lack of care and compassion. They are dishonest and the benefits are disadvantages. They are always hiring because people are always leaving. There is no professionalism and the hardest workers do not matter at all to them they give you a quota and you don't have enough patients to get what you need. They make tons of promises but don't keep any of them are always looking to punish you if you get sick or hurt on the job and the phlebotomy team (which I was on) are also expected to be janitorial staff because they fired the janitorial staff. The equipment is unreliable buses are always breaking down. I along with 2 other coworkers had our bus break down 20 minutes from the office and were left waiting in the freezing rain and cold while oil and exhaust fumes leaked all over the bus for 2 hours after we called and then came to find out they new that bus was broken. We had to return to the center until they closed when we were supposed to be off by 2. I was literally told to sit there because there was nothing else to do and the 40 hours they promised me per week ended up being sometimes 25 hours per week which meant I could not accrue vacation or time off or get paid properly so I could pay my rent. Do not work there. Even after you leave other people who hire you do not want to accept lifesouth training because their standards are low and they wont do well in training you properly. Luckily I went to school and got certified and learned that the techniques they use are so far off. I had patients request me by name because they said others were rude incentive or just plain uncaring. It was a Hostile work environment and they deserve no respect for the way they treat the employees who truly care about their job their patients and their donors. I would like to have cared for the company but no one at the company cares about anything but their salary and when they can finally retire.

Advice to Management

Start treating your employees like human beings and try to hire an actual janitor because that place is filthy

Apr 4, 2017 – Talent Recruitment Coordinator

We value and appreciate each and every employee here at LifeSouth. We are so sorry about your bad experience and would like to hear more about it. Please feel free to contact our HR department at... More

"Donor Services"

Current Employee - Donor Recruiter in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Donor Recruiter in Mobile, AL

I have been working at LifeSouth Community Blood Centers full-time

Pros

I love working for this company. Knowing that blood is provided for patients in need is a great feeling.

Cons

Not everyone wants to donate blood so you get told no often. Most jobs in the company deal with getting rejected so thick skin along with determination is needed.

Advice to Management

Remember that employees don't want to fail, they want to succeed. Be supportive of that.

"Highly Inefficient Non-Profit Organization (13th Street Location)"

Former Employee - Courier in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Courier in Gainesville, FL

I worked at LifeSouth Community Blood Centers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is decent to good, compared to other jobs in the area requiring no experience. The work is extremely easy. Vacation days build quick, and yearly amount increases with time.

Cons

Little room for advancement. Boring work environment. Most employees do not care about the life saving product they are handling. For a "health-conscious" company, vending machines have only soda and candy. You'll be hard pressed to find water and healthy snacks. Management does not care to hear your opinion on how to improve anything. "It's always been done this way" is the small-minded motto.

Advice to Management

Hire slow, fire quick! Hire people based off much more than employee referral and attempting to balance ethnic ratios. Listen to employees that care when they say that costs are being wasted in certain areas. When most of your employees in a department are under-performing (resource management), consider firing them if they do not improve. Certainly do not give every single one of them a raise, hoping more money will make them more productive.

8. "Team Lead"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mobile, AL

I have been working at LifeSouth Community Blood Centers full-time

Pros

Move up in the business fast.

Cons

Hours are crazy sometimes.

9. "Phlobotomy"

Former Employee - Phlobotomest in Hernando, FL
    Former Employee - Phlobotomest in Hernando, FL

I worked at LifeSouth Community Blood Centers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team of people to work with. Some travel is needed and early hours.

Cons

Some holidays are needed to make sure that the blood bank stays full.

"Team Leader"

Former Employee - Moblie Team Leader in Albertville, AL
    Former Employee - Moblie Team Leader in Albertville, AL

I worked at LifeSouth Community Blood Centers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very rewarding job!!! Loved the donors and knowing that I was saving lives everyday!!!

Cons

Management is AWFUL!!!! Too much favoritism is shown!! DRAMA, DRAMA, DRAMA!! It was like working with a bunch of high school kids and definitely cutthroat, with the manager in the middle of it all!! I have never worked somewhere where there was so much backstabbing and deceitfulness!!! Nothing was ever done in a professional manner. The turnover rate within the last 6 months has been outrageous, with some of the best techs I have ever seen leaving because of the management and new people coming in being manipulated by the manager. You have some techs who would work their tails off and do their jobs VERY WELL get talked to and treated like dogs over new people that had absolutely no experience at all!!! It is sad to have to leave a job you love and look forward to going to and have donors that love you over some lying, backstabbing coworkers and a deceiving manager. This place will never change until he is gone!!!

Advice to Management

Get rid of management and supervisors!!!

Dec 12, 2016 – Talent Recruitment Coordinator

Thank you for reviewing our company and reaching out to us. We apologize for not meeting your expectations and we would like to discuss your experience with LifeSouth. Please feel free to contact our... More