Lifeguard Ambulance Service Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Brett Jovanovich

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "IT Support Specialist"

I worked at Lifeguard Ambulance Service full-time

Pros

Great people specifically the HR department.

Cons

You better be ready to work hard.

Advice to Management

None

2. "Tulekit"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Lifeguard Ambulance Service part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, decent windshield wipers

Cons

Hilarious PTO; what a joke for shift works. 3 months of working you accrue one day off (what a joke) Mediocre health insurance. NO high risk retirement; non matching 401k is all they offer

Advice to Management

You need seasoned medics. Learn to take constructive criticism.

3. "Variously Disappointed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Lifeguard Ambulance Service full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy patients and transports except for the long distance transports that occur randomly.

Cons

Management is somewhat dysfunctional as they're typically never on the same page about anything as well as having their favorites, or "pets" that get whatever they want. A number of shift supervisors are simply inadequate and should be ashamed to call themselves leaders. Trust is virtually non-existent there between coworkers and the overall atmosphere completely lacks the "family" environment.

Advice to Management

Lead by example! Be honest regardless of the outcome! Listen to crew members concerns and take action! Try go cut out the "cliques" and treat everyone fair.

4. "The ship is sinking faster then the titanic"

Former Employee - Paramedic in Milton, FL
    Former Employee - Paramedic in Milton, FL

I worked at Lifeguard Ambulance Service part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The equipment is updated and there are power lift stretchers. Overtime is unlimited. New medic, no problem, you will be cleared in no time to be able to save lives with a partner who just got his EMT license. You'll be eligible for food stamps if your spouse doesn't work because of the outstanding pay.

Cons

There's a mass of problems and it's getting worse. Lifeguard thinks it's something to be proud of when the operations chief and all supervisors are riding the trucks. They are riding because they have NO STAFF. The quality of the staff is going down. Not because the staff are inadequate but because they are drug through the dirt and expected to be ready for the next call with poor leadership. Very little interaction except when your reports are reviewed by someone who really shouldn't even be cleared to treat patients let alone review others. Management used to be patient driven however since the buyout, the only people that benefit are stockholders. It was cute that the management gave a outstanding reviews in January and said how great this company is. But let's be real for a moment, do you see the contrast from real line employees reviews to management? Finally, Let's talk about PAY!!! If you are trying to provide for a family, you'll be even more surprised that insurance costs an arm and a leg (or half a kidney). And don't be fooled that they "often times don't know what other ems agencies are paying". With the rapid turnover, they know exactly what people are making at other agencies and will try to pay as little as possible to help pad the budget for stockholders. Side note, they don't want you to be a flight paramedic as their review stated. If you leave, they will have to backfill an already barebones system and ain't nobody got time for that.

Advice to Management

Pay people what they are worth, align management goals to address patients needs & maybe tell people they are appreciated more often then only when they bail you out of trouble by working an extra shift. Ps. Stop lying saying you don't know the issues I've addressed including, but not limited to, the pay.

Mar 24, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Manager

We appreciate your candid thoughts and these issues are at the forefront of the challenges we face. Unfortunately, the pay and staff shortages are issues facing most all EMS providers. Health... More

"Growing company with plenty of opportunities"

Current Employee - Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Manager in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Lifeguard Ambulance Service full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been working here for about two months and the first thing I noticed was that everyone has a genuine care for their co-workers. Whenever I have had a question someone either says I'm not exactly sure but I will have an answer for you or tell you who to ask. The leaders of the organization want the company to continue to grow but there will be pains associated with that growth.

Cons

Much of the growth of the company has come through acquisition so it takes a little time for cultures to merge and become one. Organization is doing the right things to increase benefit offerings, improve the employer brand and create cohesiveness but it will take time.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your employees in the field as they shape the brand of the company more than anyone else. Continue to improve the benefits package. Do something to stand out above your competition to attract talent.

6. "Don't do it"

I worked at Lifeguard Ambulance Service full-time

Pros

It's a job but pay sucks

Cons

Everything is bad very very bad

Advice to Management

Find new jobs before they close

Mar 22, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Anytime a former employee has a bad experience with our company we take it very seriously. We would like to know what actions we can take to ensure this doesn't happen again. Please email... More

7. "Be realistic about EMS, experienced review"

I have been working at Lifeguard Ambulance Service full-time

Pros

Average pay - many services are less than average, government is often more, but the environments are completely different. Make sure to know yourself and select the type of employer where you enjoy the work. EMS in the private world is often fast paced, shifts do not end on time, and most of the patients are sick, not critical. If you enjoy helping people regardless of their illness/injury acuity, if you find it rewarding to know you made a difference at the individual patient level, you'll enjoy it here. Understand and expect the environment you will find, know that's where you're the happiest, and select that opportunity. This company truly cares about the individual. There are always less than stellar employees at every level including management in every company, private and government. I've observed the goal at Lifeguard is to continually improve that experience to attract good folks you want to work with. No one's perfect, accept that and be realistic in your search and expectations, but know here they are trying to improve every day. That's what I've seen in my time here less than a year. Yesterday is past, where are you going in the future? Another pro is presented in Cons as the flip side to reinvestment in the company.

Cons

Standard EMS challenges as in the pros. Standard for profit challenges where the investor must be paid to retain capital to operate each year, so that affects reinvestment in the company for equipment and vehicles, though the safety program is very strong. That also retains cash for growth. Then the opportunities for advancement due to strong growth will appear more frequently here than in government and stagnant growth providers.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Invest in the core resource, employees, by paying for strong managers and weeding out those that are ineffective and do not demonstrably support and lift up their employees.

8. "Used To Be A Great Company"

I worked at Lifeguard Ambulance Service full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, variety of work schedules

Cons

Lower pay than other nearby services, very little support from command staff. Company went from patient driven to profit driven

Mar 22, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thanks for leaving a review. Pay in the EMS ranks is something we try to review as often as we can. Sometimes we don't know what other services are paying until someone tells us.

9. "Operations"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Lifeguard Ambulance Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the people I worked with everyday, they made coming to work fun.

Cons

Sometime the work was very fast paced but things do eventually slow down.

Advice to Management

Hire more people to help.

"Premiere EMS service"

I have been working at Lifeguard Ambulance Service full-time

Pros

At Lifeguard you will find many tenured staff members and leadership, A team of people who have proudly built the company with a focus on valuing the workforce and performing quality clinical care. Lifeguard appreciates its team and this is reflected through their attitude, appearance, and retention of the employees.

Lifeguard has affordable and very good benefits, a career path (especially if you want to be a flight medic) and managers that will work alongside you.

Cons

The company is growing rapidly, as long as it doesn't lose sight of it's original focus on employees and patient care, it will continue to excel as an EMS leader.