Lifeline Youth and Family Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 1, 2018

4.4
Mark W. Terrell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "flexible schedule, great mission; professionalism; great place for an entry level position as well as advancement; grow with the company" (in 10 reviews)

• "Excellent support by supervisors, faith based organization, flexible hours, good training opportunities, amazing coworkers" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance can be a joke sometimes" (in 3 reviews)

• "Pay, health insurance is expensive, little opportunity for growth" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Therapist"

Current Employee - Mental Health Therapist in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Mental Health Therapist in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Lifeline Youth and Family Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can create your own schedule.
    The “higher ups” in the company actually listen to feed back.
    Several opportunities to give feedback of how the company can improve.
    Pay is good.
    Paid time off is available (for some therapists if they don’t see clients for a week, they don’t get paid that week at all. That is NOT the case at Lifeline). There is also incentive pay, so your salary is not a fixed amount per se. You can see more clients and make exponentially more. The co-workers and management, at least where I work, are wonderful. There are many opportunities to have community in a field that can be very isolating.

Cons

Working with DCS can be stressful; DCS often will have therapists work with families in order to “fish” for information, or to prove that the family shouldn’t have their kids. Building trust with clients under these circumstances can be extremely difficult. DCS also closes out cases before clients have made full recovery at times; clients may want to continue treatment with you as a therapist, but Lifeline currently does not have a system in place to allow that to happen. You are pretty much dependent on getting DCS referrals. At times there are dry spells where DCS
    may not give referrals for a while, and your paycheck will suffer to some degree.
    There may be a lot of driving and mileage put on your vehicle depending on if you live in an area with a high concentration of referrals or not.
    Not much clinical training for therapists. No growth for learning how to use better techniques with clients, or hone in on your treatment modality. Much of the training you will have is geared towards the bachelor’s level employees.

Advice to Management

More training geared specifically to therapists and developing clinical skills. Also, have a way for therapists to receive clients from sources other than DCS. Help therapists get paneled to be able to accept insurance once licensed.

Aug 29, 2018 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your valuable input. We are continually looking at opportunities to invest in our employees and enhance skill sets. This feedback is appreciated.

2. "Great Employer"

Pros

Cons

Stressful at times due to type of services/clients that we serve

Nov 30, 2018 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at Lifeline!

3. "A great place to work."

Current Employee - Social Worker in Valparaiso, IN
    Current Employee - Social Worker in Valparaiso, IN

I have been working at Lifeline Youth and Family Services part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lifeline takes care of their employees.

Cons

As a case worker you will have some sad times when working with families.

Advice to Management

Continue to value the employees and keep an open door.

Nov 30, 2018 – Vice President of Human Resources

We appreciate your input. We continually strive to make improvements for our employees.

4. "Program Support Specialist"

Current Employee - Program Support Specialist in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Lifeline Youth and Family Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The positive atmosphere, its a big family, excellent benefits (not just health), faith is prominent.

Cons

I dont make enough money to support my family without supplemental income.

Advice to Management

Don't forget the little people.

Oct 17, 2018 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you so much for your review. The details that you shared will be considered as we continue to evaluate our compensation and benefit offering.

"Case manager"

Former Employee - Case Manager in Evansville, IN
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Evansville, IN

I worked at Lifeline Youth and Family Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You are working to help those that have trouble helping themselves.

Cons

My manager was an egotistical narcissist who only claimed his Christianity. The company supported his behavior even though the majority of his staffcomplained. It wasn't until they completed a two year internal investigation that he was fired. But in the meantime they lost so many good case managers.

Advice to Management

Listen to the staff. When you serve a county six hours away from hub, the staff has to be your eyes and ears. I quit but was written up as terminated. This kept me from ever being allowed to work here again. Sad because I loved my job.

Oct 23, 2018 – Vice President of Human Resources

Your review is appreciated. Employee feedback is important to us as we continue to improve our internal processes and develop our leadership.

6. "Good work environment, little room to grow."

Current Employee - Program Support Specialist in Fort Wayne, IN

Pros

All the people are friendly and easy to get along with, once a month free lunches, 403B match (though not stellar, at least average).

Cons

Pay, health insurance is expensive, little opportunity for growth.

Advice to Management

Promote from within, and pay the people doing a lot of work.

Oct 23, 2018 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your review. We are continuing to review compensation and growth opportunities for our team members, your input is valuable to us as we strive to make improvements.

7. "Family Consultant"

Current Employee - Family Consultant in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Family Consultant in Fort Wayne, IN

Pros

Able to work individually with clients and families, lots of support from co-workers and supervisors and therapists, somewhat able to set one's own schedule, lots of resources available online and through other Lifeline workers, strong camaraderie among staff members, help available in a number of avenues, trust felt from supervisors.

Cons

A lot of mileage needed, no compensation for wear and tear on car, not asked if one would like to take a specific referral.

Advice to Management

Continue giving respect and support as already shown but offer more compensation for mileage/wear and tear on car, incentives for FTF hours, offer hot spots for computers, offer FTF hours during required meetings, ask first if a worker would like to accept a referral.

Oct 23, 2018 – Vice President of Human Resources

We appreciate your review. We are working diligently to make continued improvements in our benefits and compensation packages for our team members.

"Proceed with Caution, HR is heavily padding these ratings"

Former Employee - Therapist in South Bend, IN
    Former Employee - Therapist in South Bend, IN

I worked at Lifeline Youth and Family Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I served side by side with some great people. The need in our area is tremendous and the work will always have some degree of internal reward if serving children and families is where your heart is. I left with ZERO complaints about the actual direct services.

Cons

Little to no managerial regard for the self-care of direct service staff. Questionably ethical business practices at all levels with intentionally few means for staff to provide feedback directly to upper management . Extremely under resourced with regards to clinical supervision leading to questionably ethical direct service practices. They appear to be leveraging Christianity to recruit altruistic staff while not actually upholding Christian business practices. Examples: Billing practices that "milk" statewide government contracts (DCS services) to fund their own localized parachurch "ministries". Salary for clinicians is "sliding scale" based on productivity, meaning if clients cancel your pay is reduced (this was not disclosed until after hire and staff training.) This created an unhealthy staff culture where clients were viewed as dollars. Mileage was reimbursed at nearly 50% less than government standard rates. My list could go on, it was (sadly) the most unhealthy practice I have ever directly observed. High turnover amongst healthy staff who know better leads to a pool of folks who don't.

Advice to Management

If you intend to honor Christ as an agency serving families in Indiana then may the Lord rebuke you towards change and a drastic reexamination of your mission and practices. If you are paying lip service to Christianity to profit from the servant hearts of church members then the Lord deal with you accordingly. Either way I would caution my church from partnering in any capacity with your organization.

9. "Compassion Care Respect"

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Pierceton, IN
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Pierceton, IN

Pros

I love working for Lifeline because they embody biblical principles in their treatment approaches and view of people. They treat employees, clients and guests with compassion,care and respect. I feel cared for by my coworkers and supervisors and feel they truly are looking out for my best interests as a coworker and employee. It is so rewarding to see kids that are impacted by our time with them as they start their journey of restoration.

Cons

Work Life balance can be difficult. Great supervisors and coworkers make that easier and Lifeline has done many events to encourage family and personal time such as paid trips to the Indianapolis zoo, cooperarte picnics, etc.

Advice to Management

Continue to hear those you manage and help them develop as employees

Aug 29, 2018 – Vice President of Human Resources

We greatly appreciate your feedback! As an organization we are working diligently to be innovative in our approach to work-life balance for our team members.

10. "I love it here!"

I have been working at Lifeline Youth and Family Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A great faith based organization that allows you to make a difference in the lives of young people. Great coworkers! Lots of time off if you stay!

Cons

The health insurance is expensive.

Aug 29, 2018 – Vice President of Human Resources

We are glad you are a part of our organization! Congratulations on your tenure.