Lifeline Youth and Family Services Reviews

Updated May 7, 2021

3.8
Lifeline Youth and Family Services CEO Mark W. Terrell
Mark W. Terrell
Pros
  • "Great company values, coworkers are helpful, flexible schedule(in 15 reviews)

• "Excellent support by supervisors, faith based organization, flexible hours, good training opportunities, amazing coworkers(in 6 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Social work is not lucrative, but it pays the bills(in 7 reviews)

• "Extremely high turnover rate (low pay/bad benefits will get that)(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Wonderful Organization

Feb 23, 2021 - Chief Marketing and Communications Officer in Fort Wayne, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

The mission and vision are impactful to people and families and the culture is tremendous. This place is full of loving people who want to help others. I truly enjoy coming to work every day.

Cons

Early in my time with the organization, I haven't found any cons of concern.

Chief Human Resources Officer

We are grateful for our staff members! Thank you so much for your review.

2. 5.0

Great company

May 2, 2021 - Therapist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Christian faith company, care about employee and their families

Cons

minimum expectation for face to face and driving.

Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you so much for you review! We are always seeking opportunity to improve our team member goals and efficiencies.

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great family centered and faith based company !

Mar 8, 2021 - Administration
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lifeline has great leadership and provides life changing services to the community.

Cons

The health insurance options are pricey.

Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you for your service and your feedback!

4. 3.0
      Former Employee

There are better places to work

May 7, 2021 - Administrative
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fast pace, good pay and benefits

Cons

Lack of vision and direction more focused on profits than impact. No real care for employees.

Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you for your feedback. We continually strive to serve more families and deliver impact in our communities.

5. 3.0

It was alright

May 4, 2021 - Family Consultant in Fort Wayne, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Making your own schedule, that’s it.

Cons

Push for productivity, lowered pay and upped work load

Chief Human Resources Officer

We appreciate your review. While flexibility in schedule is a definite plus, we continually seek opportunity to focus on the well-being of our employees.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

I love my job & this company

Sep 5, 2020 - Program Coordinator in Pierceton, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Supervisors genuinely care about the staff and kids. Most managers worked a significant amount of timeIn direct care before advancing in the company and have perspective on what challenges direct care face. Competitive pay for a not for profit organization in the helping field. Benefits such as matching 403b, Matching HSA, health care, reimbursement for personal vehicle use have all improved since I started. Employee Assistance programs available including personal or family counseling. There’s a high focus on staff development and taking care of staff members from several levels of management. TheCompany has clearly defined goals, missions, and an emphasis on creating a culture that makes the environment we work in be exactly what makes us want to stay. Mission trips are available, and the company will not require you to use personal PTO for these trips.

Cons

Direct care work with kids and families that are struggling can be difficult, even if there are supportive supervisors. Sometimes people don’t stick around long enough to see the growth that some of the more difficult clients go through, so perspective can be skewed on what we do and which clients we help. Residential is a pretty specific line of work that is difficult to describe to people that haven’t worked it, especially when not having worked it with teenage boys that come to us with a lot of trauma.

Recruitment & Training Director

Thanks for the positive feedback! I appreciate you pointing to specific areas in both your assessment of pros as well as cons.

7. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Rewarding Hard Work

Jan 21, 2021 - Home Based Caseworker in Bloomington, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

You get to see a lot of situations and gain a lot of experience walking into homes of all sorts of people. It is rewarding to be a part of growth and progress for the clients and the families. You may be able to be a part of a family being reunited with their child, or a teen getting finished with probation as a more mature individual. If this is your heart, you will do well and enjoy the hard work. Paperwork is all done at home and if you are a home body you will be able to be comfy doing half the job. If you have enough clients to fill your face-to-face sufficiently, you can get away with working 3-4 days a week. You can also make more than the base salary plus minimum face to face payment. If your base is 24,000 and 22 face to face hours gets you to 32,000 but you work 30+ hours you can be rolling in the mid to high 40,000s. Depends on your work ethic!

Cons

It is hard work. You schedule your clients yourself and you have to work around the families schedule which (unless summer-time) will be after school and evenings. You only are paid a "full" paycheck if you meet face-to-face enough hours a week. The minimum for a full schedule was 22 in person hours. Client referrals are assigned, meaning if clients are not being referred frequently, you may be trapped with few clients who do not want to meet (which means not a full pay and warnings from the boss). If you get trapped in this cycle, it starts to feel like you are using your clients for their in person hours to make your boss happy rather than to help. Interventions can only last so long and over a couple hours is all the attention you'll get. You drive a TON, but are reimbursed for the gas/maintenance. Its still a con because unless you are driving clients it doesn't count towards your 22 hours. If you are not assertive, you will get pushed around by your clients. They are court ordered services and few people want to actually engage.

Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you for your valuable input. We strive to align our organizational efficiencies to meet our client needs. We are continually seeking opportunity to make improvements.

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Very Flexible, you get out what you put into the job

Apr 21, 2020 - Family Consultant in Terre Haute, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Make your own schedule Supportive environment (at least in region 8) Your pay is not based off of client compliance Your family comes first and everyone all the way up to the CEO will tell you that Weekly live webinars from the CEO communicating to the entire company about issues/solutions/suggestions and prayer. Quarterly bonus outside of your salary pay.

Cons

It becomes frustrating when/if you aren't able to meet your hours within your availability so you then have to arrange your schedule to be more open. There really aren't many cons, I mean it is social work, so of course the job itself of working with the clients isn't always a cup of tea. I do believe though that Lifeline cares a lot about their front line employees out in the field, I am always thanked for the work I do when talking to someone from the home office in Ft. Wayne, not that it is necessary but it is appreciated. Before the stay at home order was announced by the governor Lifeline was already implementing steps to move their front line employees virtual during the COVID-19 pandemic. That alone says a lot, I believe. They weren't just worried about the office jobs they were concerned about the people working one on one in the public as well. There is little room for career advancement but you do receive a quarterly bonus if you go above your expected face to face time with clients, which is an average of 20-25 hours with clients weekly so on a well filled quarter that is easy to exceed!

1 person found this review helpful

Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you so much for taking the time provide a review. We are always seeking opportunity to improve our programs, processes and standards to positively impact our employee experiences.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

I love being a part of the Lifeline Team and contributing to a great mission!

Dec 11, 2020 - Communications Specialist in Fort Wayne, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

The leadership truly has the best interest of the client in mind. They do a great job supporting our clients and community, but they also do a great job supporting the employees at Lifeline so that we can do greater work.

Cons

If you're not working out in the field (located at corporate office), it's sometimes hard to see the direct impact we're making in our clients' lives.

Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you so much for your review! We truly appreciate our field staff and the work that you do!

10. 1.0
      Former Employee

Don't leave your old job for this lie

Dec 10, 2020 - Family Consultant in Terre Haute, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

None, none, none, none and none

Cons

Terrible management (they will gossip about you amongst others), unsafe working conditions in accordance with covid-19 (they send me to training in fort wayne where I was exposed to the virus and got it, working lunches required masks to be taken off to eat), false information given regarding job and intern experiences, low pay, they expect way too much out of employees (they tell you 24 face to face hours required and act like it's good but don't tell you your drive time may end up being 3 or 4 hours to or from a client). This is just an all around bad company.

1 person found this review helpful

Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you for your feedback. We are actively taking measures to promote a positive culture and will address these direct concerns.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 122 Reviews