Lifelong AIDS Alliance Reviews | Glassdoor

Randall H. Russell

1. "Volunteer's Perspective"

Former Employee - Chicken Soup Brigade Volunteer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Chicken Soup Brigade Volunteer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Lifelong AIDS Alliance (More than a year)

Pros

Volunteering here has been among my most positive life experiences. I've worked in their kitchen, their warehouse, and as a substitute driver. LLAA is a great, well-run organization which makes a tangible, positive impact on the greater Seattle area. I plan on making it a point to volunteer with LLAA whenever I have time.

Cons

It's difficult to give a legitimate constructive criticism given that I was not employed but rather working as a volunteer. I can't personally evaluate career opportunities or potential for advancement. From all I could gather though I didn't notice any significant drawbacks.

2. "A possible great opportunity...."

I worked at Lifelong AIDS Alliance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At Lifelong you will experience some of the most heart warming experiences ever, whether it be working one on one with clients who not only need but appreciate you or side by side with the awesome volunteer crew who become your second family. Vacation hours are generous and great if you find the time to use them. This company can be a great opportunity to gain experience in a nonprofit business geared towards sexual health education, fundraising, and social welfare towards marginalized groups.

Cons

Upper management seems to have a professional front but lacks concern for line worker's and their hardships. Working within the 40 hour work load became a difficulty especially when they don't pay overtime and you have to find time in your next work week to leave early which is some departments is harder than others. I've personally witnessed CEO deputies ignoring lower management during conversations as though they weren't even there. Employees are willing to work diligently and even overtime if they are at least recognized for their contribution and not bullied by upper management.

Advice to Management

Provide opportunities for employee's to gain new skills and have a standard of rehiring within three months. Six months and up is a long time to have other workers carrying their workloads without recognition.

3. "Nonprofit company"

Former Employee - Housing Case Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Housing Case Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Lifelong AIDS Alliance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best coworkers that you could ask for. A great team that helps each other out and looks out for one another.

Cons

It seems like heavy work loads and programs that constantly change. There is a lack of stability. You spend more time entering notes than with the clients. A constant push for data for funders and less time spent with clients. There isn't much in the way of advancement. Some departments are cliquish. Those with seniority seem to be able to do what they please.

Advice to Management

I wish there was more training for employees. There is a lack of communication from upper management and line employees. There isn't much in the way of diversity. If you don't have much seniority it seems like your workload is increased. I believe that there should be more emphasis on team building and cross training in the various departments.

5. "I LOVE LIFELONG"

Former Employee - Community Relations Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Community Relations Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I worked at Lifelong AIDS Alliance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for Lifelong was one of THE most formative and wonderful experiences that I have had to professionally to date. Not only are people SUPER mission focused, but they care about each other very much and push self-care and self-maintenance, as working with such vulnerable populations can make for a high rate of burnout.

I cannot recommend working for them if you can. Amazing mission. Amazing staff. Amazing clients. Amazingly bright future.

Cons

Not a lot of RAPID upward movement/opportunity. It's tough to get a spot, because they rarely open...because LIFELONG ROCKS SO MUCH. So this is not so much of a con. More just something you have to navigate.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on. <3 to you all.

6. "Great people and rewarding work; disconnect between direct services and upper-management."

I worked at Lifelong AIDS Alliance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Passionate coworkers, rewarding work, amazing clients, important work, comprehensive client care, casual attire, good work/life balance, excellent vacation time, unionized.

Cons

Low pay, not a lot of room for career advancement, upper management/direct services disconnect, emotionally trying work, lack of funding, overworked/not enough staff, stressful, poor management/managers not trained well.

Advice to Management

Listen more to what your employees are telling you needs to change.

7. "I learned a lot about what I want and don't want from my employer."

Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Lifelong AIDS Alliance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved the mission and met so many wonderful clients and volunteers. It felt good to feel like I was making a difference in the lives of others. I met some of the best people I have ever worked with, many of which are still close friends. They had decent benefits, a business casual work attire, and a paid holiday week between Christmas and New Years.

Cons

Senior management and leadership do not listen to staff. The culture of the organization has shifted towards a top down corporate like structure which has made it difficult to enjoy working there, especially when one expects a non profit atmosphere. Turnover is extremely high...everyone there either is laid off, fired, or quits because they get tired of the agency drama and financial turmoil. Line staff are overworked and underpaid while leadership is overpaid and disconnected with line staff and middle management. Corruption and poor management and leadership skills are constant problems.

Advice to Management

Listen to what the staff tell you needs to be fixed. The solution is not to get rid of complaining staff but instead work with staff to fix agency problems. Help create a place that staff wants to stay at in the long term so the the staff doesn't turn over every year. Address the concerns of outside stakeholders such as clients, volunteers, donors, and event patrons. More education and training for staff.

"Does great work, but terrible to work for"

I worked at Lifelong AIDS Alliance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The programs are very effective at improving public health and making people's lives better. Most coworkers care about the mission and are wonderful people to work and spend time with personally.

Cons

Morale is a disaster. Senior management has been corrupt since at least 2007 and gets perpetuated by hiring like-minded people and making terrible financial decisions at the expense of staff and program delivery.

Advice to Management

If this many people say you are doing badly - listen. Don't let board members recruit each other and stop asking the lowest paid staff to make sacrifies that you won't make yourselves. Treat your people better and restore pay and benefits that have been repeatedly cut.

"Working with the staff and clients at Lifelong AIDS Alliance was a very rewarding experience."

Former Employee - Finance Director in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Finance Director in Seattle, WA

I worked at Lifelong AIDS Alliance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helping clients to create supports that enable them to lead healthy active lives.
    Engaged and passionate staff working daily to help people.
    Family like culture.

Cons

Resources are sometimes constrained working at a not for profit.
    Labor union created more challenges and extra work for leadership team that produced as benefits to the staff.

Advice to Management

Focus on expanding sources of revenue to ensure Lifelong is vibrant for many years to come.
    Continue to unite the Seattle community with your events and programs.

"Lifelong AIDS Alliance: Corrupt Management"

Former Employee - Direct Client Services in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Direct Client Services in Seattle, WA

Pros

A great opportunity to do meaningful work.

Cons

Dysfunctional dynamic between management and non-management. Lifelong has become very top heavy, with nearly as many managers as non-management positions. It is not uncommon to find a supervisor managing 1 or 2 people. Often times managers are hired or promotions are made to people who have little management experience or unusually poor managerial skills. Compared to the agency's morale 3-5 years ago, employee satisfaction is at an all time low. Turn over has been rapid during 2008. Nearly 30 out of 100 employees have either moved on or let go.

Advice to Management

Increased checks and balances for managers.

11. "Great experience"

Pros

Lifelong provided good vacation benefits, a very supportive environment both for coworkers to build relationships and work together but also between management and employees.

Cons

Organization was going through a change of CEO's during the time I left the and a lot of things were uncertain because of it. I did not experience much of it though