Liferay Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Liferay CEO Bryan Cheung
Bryan Cheung
Pros
Cons
  • "There are no cons I can think of(in 6 reviews)

• "A declining customer base and a very buggy product are causing increased stress to upper management(in 6 reviews)

"Great Work/Life Flexibility"

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Diamond Bar, CA

I have been working at Liferay full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Amazing work/life flexibility - Managers genuinely care about you as a person - C -levels and VP's are easily accessible for conversation - Great Employee Volunteer Program where you're given a week off paid to go volunteer with charity organizations - Great Paid Time Off Policy - Tons of opportunities to grow and learn - Opportunity to work with global teams - Company Wide Meetings are done every... quarter and most of the company attends.

Cons

- no cons that come to mind!

Advice to Management

Continue to learn and grow!

Liferay2019-06-07

"Where to start?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Diamond Bar, CA

I worked at Liferay full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone is pretty nice and christian friendly.

Cons

Let's be honest, this place needs a lot of work. It's great to see that new people are getting hired with exceptional experience, however is it too late in the game? How much of the damage can get undone? Strictly speaking from a support perspective, there needs to be change. Sounds political doesn't it? For those internal guys that are reading this, you know what I'm talking about. There's been a sense of hostility... coming from one section of support that will not be named. If you take a listen, you hear yelling and constant bickering from the same area, but on the outside it is portrayed as something magical. A little juxtaposition you might say. Is it fair to keep someone that will run anyone down that gets in their way versus someone that will work cohesively with others to figure out an issue? If common sense came into play, I'd think that the second option would be a better fit. With only a couple years under my belt, it's time to move on.

Advice to Management

Stand your ground and do what's right.

Liferay2019-06-20
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Need to change sales management"

I worked at Liferay

Pros

Fun place to work. Great colleagues

Cons

Late to the game in the sales department. Filling sales management spots with inexperienced sales / management. Need to diversify experience brought in and open your ears to the sales team . They are your bread and butter now.

Advice to Management

Hire experience, go out and see how other startups are successful, not just Drupal.

Liferay2019-04-17

"Unfair Work Practices and Major Favortism"

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Diamond Bar, CA

I have been working at Liferay full-time

Pros

If you like to goof off, get paid still a decent amount for barely lifting a finger, do not wish to learn anything new or grow your career and be forced to be part of a religious cult on a daily basis...then these “pros” would apply to you.

Cons

Where does one even begin? Management is completely incompetent. You have people who were promoted into the position simply through relationships (e.g. marriage, growing up with the founders, etc.) but who have zero qualifications or knowledge to actually fulfill their roles and duties. There is a major disparity between how people are treated, as some are allowed to work remotely, while others are forced to work in... the office. As stated, there is major nepotism and inequity within the company, as the middle to upper ranks continue to hire their relatives, friends, etc. Quite frankly, the company doesn’t even have a strong value proposition and that is why it can barely sustain itself amongst the rest of the industry. The only distinguishing factors are all the internal politics and nepotism, which are far more rampant and egregious than other companies. Because of this, Liferay is not a name you would be proud to have on your resume. Stay away at all costs, unless you want to be a laughing stock and never considered for a real job with real potential career growth.

Advice to Management

Trim the fat. This is business - not all about who you know. Hire people who are actually qualified based on their education and experience, instead of just sticking with people you know. Enforce the same standards for all your employees and don’t put people in management who simply can’t cut it.

Liferay2019-04-27

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Sales in Diamond Bar, CA

I have been working at Liferay full-time for less than a year

Pros

Opportunity for growth i love it there

Cons

None no complaints at all!!

Liferay2019-03-14

"Great Place for Growth"

Current Employee - Designer in Diamond Bar, CA

I have been working at Liferay full-time for less than a year

Pros

Liferay employees are great to work with. Great place to learn and grow your career. Many awesome perks and benefits as well.

Cons

Compensation is a little on the lower side, but still nice for people starting their career in tech.

Liferay2019-02-14

"Avoid this company. Confused management, toxic work environment"

Former Employee - Architect in Diamond Bar, CA

I worked at Liferay full-time for less than a year

Pros

From the outside it looks good

Cons

A declining customer base and a very buggy product are causing increased stress to upper management. All hands meetings were negative and depressing. They had a large layoff in 2018 and a negative outlook at the beginning of 2019. The 2018 North America symposium had fewer than 90 paying attendees. This is a company in decline and the stress that causes is manifesting itself in a number of negative ways that are... creating a toxic and unsettling environment: micromanagement, harsh and unfair reviews, unclear expectations, poor role definition, guilt for not working overtime, etc. I went into this position taking a pay cut thinking it was a solid company with strong leadership and fulfilling opportunities to give back to the community. I was wrong. It was easily the worst job decision of my career. I hope others won't make the same mistake I did.

Advice to Management

Sell the company while you can.

Liferay2019-03-09

"Company is growing and maturing"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Diamond Bar, CA

I have been working at Liferay full-time

Pros

Overall, the company has improved a lot over the past few years in terms of embracing new technologies. Depending on the team you're a part of, culture can be a hit or a miss. However, the team that I'm on is one that I really enjoy being a part of and has great management.

Cons

Pay is on the low side, but that's the price you pay for being a privately owned company. It also allows the C-Level board to pursue opportunities that aren't solely related to profit, which I admire.

Liferay2019-01-17

"Great place to work"

I worked at Liferay full-time

Pros

Friendly people, great work ethics.

Cons

Middle management promoted based on seniority rather than skill.

Advice to Management

Train middle management

Liferay2018-09-28

"Marketing Specialist"

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Liferay full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most Friendly & nicest people I ever met in US companies. Flexible & Opportinity to learn new area & field.

Cons

Less women - men balance for management opportunities. Evaluation system is not clear.

Advice to Management

Transform management structure to less US centric.

Liferay2018-09-21