Liferay Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Liferay Founder and CEO Bryan Cheung
Bryan Cheung

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Plenty of work/life balance; no overtime hours (in 11 reviews)

• Our company and offering is based on knowledge sharing, Open Source (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Below industry standard compensation, low morale (in 5 reviews)

• Low pay, inexperienced leadership (in 4 reviews)

"Working at liferay is awesome"

I have been working at Liferay full-time

Pros

awesome community
    chill environment
    fun people to work with

Cons

sort of low pay
    slow computers

"Good place to start a career. Bad place to stay long. Ugly place to learn professional standards and good habits."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Diamond Bar, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Diamond Bar, CA

I worked at Liferay full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of good people are great to work with and are memorable. I had the best co-workers.

Cons

Horrible manager - sucked at his job. didn't know jack squat.
    Horrible pay - in the name of God let's tried to be slick and pay people poorly.
    Horrible founders - all 5 claimed to be Christians but actions and no actions speak louder than words.
    Horrible policies and procedures - wait, there isn't a lot and even if there was it was bendable by the founders. oh wait, if they find out, let's blame it on everyone else or don't admit.
    Horrible leadership - you can't teach the arrogant, the stubborn, the stupid. in other words, they think they know it all and everyone else is beneath them.
    Horrible resource management - enough said. they suck at it. no org chart for at least 7 years don't know about now.
    the list can go on and on.

Advice to Management

Started as a wide-eyed naive, work-hard expect-rewards attitude, positive, grateful, person. I left as a very bitter, needed therapy, not confident in own skill set, empty shell of a person.
    I would like to say that I am a Christian. To take advantage of other brothers and sisters like how you do is a shame. I hope when you see Christ some day that you will be judge according to what you did or didn't do. Just because you created the company doesn't mean you know everything. It's called humility. Read your bible on it. For Christ's sake treat people with respect and dignity. YOU ARE A WITNESS regardless if you are the founder of the company. Believe it or not people can see the humble-brag or lack of humility on your day to day dealings.

I would advise to management and the founders. To treat people with respect and dignity. Learn to listen. Learn to serve. Learn that being humble in action is better than singing off-key christian songs to remind one-self of things. (One founder used to do it under his breathe) Note to that founder: it doesn't work cause you still act like a (expletive).
    Learn to let people do there jobs the way that they were trained to do.
    Learn to let good managers manage and either retrain or let go managers that suck.
    Learn to value people as Christ did.
    SO founders, did you learn something today?

"Supposedly Christian company that takes advantage of their workers and goes to lengths to ostracize the non-religious"

I worked at Liferay full-time

Pros

Met some good people I'm still friends with
    Stepping stone to work at a professional company
    I still miss Diamond Bar and Rowland for the amazing food every lunchtime

Cons

Paid far below industry standard, preyed on people during economic downturn (hired people with CompSci degrees as QA, then forced them to do coding work for no extra pay or benefit)

Draconian Christian C-levels and managers, mandatory company retreats (to bible colleges, everytime), company-wide prayers; please, PLEASE expect to be treated differently if you don't subscribe to their dogma! I had the co-founder of the company tell me in front of my entire department at one of these bible college retreats that he wanted me to live a fulfilling life (implying I wasn't), and that only Liferay and Christ could do that for me. I was told at the same meet by the same egoist that ethic is impossible to have without religion, and that athiests are amoral. Remember, this is the co-founder. There was also an incident where one of my coworkers dispersed my personal information yelling in an auditorium details of my insurance and health plan. When I angrily relayed this to my manager, nothing was concrete was done, as the perpetrator was one of his high school church friends.

There were other incidents: a pair of brothers who worked there, who also were church friends. These two brothers brought a machete to work once, had pictures of guns as their icons, constantly talked about guns in work chats, and one set his profile to, I quote, "kicking down doors in islamabad derka derka derka". Nothing was done to rectify these situations because these two were in-clique. In contrast, I was having an extraordinary toothache one morning, and had to make an emergency visit to the dentist. I let my managers know about this with an email. They called me into a meeting soon after I had come back to work, same day; they were extraordinarily angry that I had not "requested" the time from them first, even though I had sent them an email informing them I wanted to use sick time. As they had not replied back to me, my going to the dentist was "defying" them, and they wrote me up for visiting the dentist when I was experiencing agony (my crown had fallen off). After they stonewalled my worry and my questions, after half the day they came back to me and said that they were going to be "gracious" and not write me up... again, for an emergency that I had notified them about prior to coming in.

Do not trust their reviews - they will lie to your face in bi-weekly reviews (held with two supervisors!) and then let you go without warning. The spineless manager wouldn't even look me in the eye when they let me go, and excused himself from the room ASAP without answering any of my questions, as even being on good terms with him and working under him for a year did not obligate him to give me a moment more of his time. They attempted to withhold unemployment from me immediately following this as well.

Advice to Management

Stop treating people like children. Stop forcing your religion down people's throats, or if you're going to continue with this at least live up to Christ's standards and stop denigrating other people. Get your HR act together. If you're going to let someone go after lying to them constantly after months of bi-weekly reviews, as least have the backbone to sit down and answer some questions in the exit process.

Liferay Response

Aug 21, 2017 – Liferay HR

Thanks for your candid feedback. We're glad you met some good people that you say you're still friends with and that Liferay was a good stepping stone for your career. On the con side, it sounds like... More

"Low pay, workers considered expendable"

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Diamond Bar, CA
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Diamond Bar, CA

I worked at Liferay full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly, mostly younger co-workers who do activities together outside of work

Cons

Below industry standard compensation, low morale. You will get let go without warning at any time, & there's a high turnover rate of people who leave because of the low salary. Also, their review system doesn't accurately reflect their feelings about you or provide feedback to actually improve your standing -- for example, a co-worker friend of mine had his review, & was assured that his performance was fine. The very next week, he was fired & escorted off the premises in the same day, contrary to that review. These things seem to only happen to the people who aren't in the "privileged" cliques. Overall, management is inexperienced, unfocused, & inconsistent with their demands, & there's rampant favoritism and cliques. Also, if you aren't religious, it can get uncomfortable because of how overtly Christian everyone is. This is definitely a place to start at entry level & then move on after gaining some experience.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like you actually value them & compensate them accordingly.

"My experience with brevity"

I have been working at Liferay full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. First impression of walking into the office is that it is very clean and happy
    2. Everyone seems friendly at first
    3. Kitchen is nice
    4. Free soda - nice plus
    5. Interesting music in the bathrooms

Cons

1. The cliques make it feel like high school again. This is a professional setting. Do not treat others like trash with expectations of respect returned. Do not tell me that I'm "defying" you during training. If questions are asked during training sessions, most likely than not, it's because the receiving party needs further lucidity.

2. Being affiliated with the support team was a blessing and a curse. The term "support" represents a community who unequivocally support the collegiality and symbiosis of those that bring together the cohesiveness of what a team should be about. Nonetheless, I'm pleased to have experienced what is not a healthy work environment.

3. Advice to prospect support applicants: be weary of those on the team that are poisonous. Stay clear of them and you'll make the grade. It's been some time since I've vacated the company, nevertheless the circumstances seem one and the same.

Advice to Management

To echo what everybody else has been expressing: Please encourage continuing education for management. There is plenty of room to improve and by all means take advantage of it. Take advantage that you can lead the team and not coward sheepishly anytime issues come to light.

"A good stepping stone"

I have been working at Liferay part-time

Pros

Flexible Schedule, Friendly coworkers, Fun and Modern work environment

Cons

Clique-y employee social groups, micro-managing CEO, stingy pay for industry

"Same stuff keeps happening"

Former Employee - UI Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - UI Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Liferay full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with big name clients. Indoctrination of clean coding practices. Mac Computers. Stock Options. Volunteering time off. Meet co workers from around the world.

Cons

Work with inexperienced co-workers.
    Management makes goals unclear.
    60 workers in small portable building. Limited Remote Working. Lack of Diversity at LA Office.

Advice to Management

It's been a while since I was let go, but it seems like all of the reviews have similar issues. The Issue I had was that Brian Chan told me to move over to the consulting department to gain some experience and learn client uses cases. Then after a year I was suppose to move back to the UI department.

Get everything in writing. My supervisor had no idea of Brian's plan for me. When it came time for me move back to the UI dept. there were no open positions. Also Brian never spoke up and had my supervisor let me go. They said they needed to cut me due to budget cuts.

"Flexible work schedule, payment is extremely low"

I worked at Liferay full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work schedule is very flexible.
    Has Employee Volunteer Program to help ppl around the world

Cons

Payment is way under the industrial level, extremely low.
    Not well organized.

"Solid Company But Not Perfect"

Current Employee - Consultant Software Engineer in Diamond Bar, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant Software Engineer in Diamond Bar, CA

Pros

Growing Company with Growth Potential for employees.
    Definitely a family environment in many ways.
    I get to learn and practice technical, applications, and management skills.
    Overall a good company.

Cons

There is a definite religious bias, but they seem to live by their values.
    The top level management has a slight tendency to micromanage. Far less than my last company.
    Wages are a little low for the work.
    Lot's of travel which is a pro for me, but it can be a con for others.

Advice to Management

Keep your values, while expanding outside your comfort zone and create a world class company while keeping the entrepreneurial spirit.

"Are You "Christian" Enough?"

Pros

Amazing coworkers; one of the nicest and most loyal group of people you will ever come across at a workplace (one of the top reasons why employees are hesitant to leave). Very lax work environment and a flexible work schedule.

Cons

This company revolves around Christianity and Church friends. One way or another, an employee is connected to the owner's Church, or some other religion based connection. Don't be surprised if you walk across the office and see employees (including C-Levels/upper management) praying. The company owner dabbles in every single department, dictating what the managers should do, even though they have no expertise in the field. Department managers tend to have weak backbones, and succumb to upper management/C-Levels. Rarely will a manager vouch for his or her own employee(s). Lack of growth for employees and extremely low salaries. This is a great place to intern, or get your foot into the tech industry, but NOT recommended as a long term job.

Advice to Management

Let your managers do what they're hired to do. Pay employees for what they are worth and give them an opportunity to grow.