KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

4.9
Lifeway Christian Resources President Ben Mandrell
Ben Mandrell
0 Rating

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Lifeway Christian Resources and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Positive

Sep 23, 2020 - Key Holder in North Charleston, SC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Clean and friendly, positive work environment.

Cons

Unclear instructions from corporate offices.

2. 4.0
    Current Employee

It's not so bad once you get the hang of it.

Jan 23, 2012 - "Key Holder"
    Business Outlook

Pros

Coworkers are typically very considerate. Coworkers seem to have a good sense of humor, although rudeness still leaks out occasionally. Overall, a fantastic working environment.

Cons

Setup for new sales is extremely stressful and time-consuming. Corporate seems to not know what they're doing half the time; As others have stated, they don't seem to know what "works." A constant stream of slander seems to seep from coworker's mouths, usually aimed at management, and that gets tiresome. Customers can be surprisingly hateful, including (and sometimes especially) pastors or church staff. Required to ask for WAY too much information (Phone #, name, address, email) from customers upon checkout. "Plus sell" items (items we ask customers if they would like to purchase upon checkout) are rarely sold as donations. Does not fit with vision statement. Computer systems are extremely outdated and unintuitive, creating many problems. Return policy is too strict, making customers angry. Signage regularly has several misspellings, once even by spelling "Christian" as "Chritian." HA! LifeWay coupons cannot be used on "LifeWay" branded products. Rediculous. Budget is WAY too tight for individual stores. Not enough money to hire more people, so we can't take care of our customers they way we should. The store music either came from the nineties or from a funeral home. Drives you nuts or puts you to sleep. Too strict, overall.

1 person found this review helpful
  3. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

A genuine company you can count on to learn sales and grow your Christian walk.

Apr 5, 2015 - Sales Associate/Key Holder in Douglasville, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The fact that you can have a discussion about someone's salvation, customer or employee, is a wonderful thing.

Cons

Only one con comes to mind, everything else was great at LifeWay. When I was thinking about doing the Manager in Training (MIT) program I learned that if selected to be an MIT or eventually a manager, a requirement was that you *had* to move to another state to be MIT/manager. I don't understand the reasoning behind this requirement. Promoting from a sales associate to a key holder (lower/entry mgmt) is as far as I made it and so there were not many add'l advancement opportunities.

Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. We are currently in process of making revisions to our MIT program. We look forward to seeing the positive impact these revisions will have on our future employees and LifeWay.

4. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Christian environment to work in.

Oct 26, 2014 - Key Holder
    Business Outlook

Pros

Working at lifeway you gain a lot of experiencing, when it comes to selling, customer service, and handeling a difficult database.

Cons

Not a lot of cultural diversity, I was the only hispanic and the only person of color for most of my time there.There was another hispanic for only a minimun of time, and she was only there once a week. Everyone else that was there was white and every time we had a herd of new people they would all be white. Also being the only person of color, the management and employees would automatically assume that I didn't know how to do things, and basically insult my intelligence! Instead of challenging me to do a task or just ask me to do a task, they would automatically assume that I could not do it and ask a newer white person to do it, even if they had no experience themselves! Pay was very low and even when you advanced to a higher management position you only got paid 8.73. There was no hours to go around. Lifeway policy is if your a part time employee could only work 1200 hours a year and would make an employee stuck at 22 hours a week, if even that many.

Recruiting Coordinator

We understand that recruiting a diverse workforce is one of the hottest topics facing many employers right now. True diversity starts with a mission to gain strength as an organization through recruiting a variety of outstanding people with diverse backgrounds, skills, ideas and cultures. LifeWay is continuing its efforts on an ongoing basis to reach the diverse audiences that will help us achieve our mission of providing Biblical Solutions For Life. We do apologize if you have had a bad experience at the store. Each employee at LifeWay is valued. We would encourage you to contact Human Resources directly for further guidance and assistance with any store personnel issues. Thank you for your review.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work and job growth opportunities!

Nov 5, 2014 - Key Holder in Morristown, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people are wonderful. Always encouraging you to be a better person and do your best. Job growth opportunities. I have worked as a General Associate and now a Key Holder and will be starting my position as the Assistant Manager in the coming weeks. As long as you are trusting God all things are possible.

Cons

None that are worth mentioning

Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for your review. We value you and your team and the hard work you do each day to provide Biblical Solutions For Life.

6. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Lifeway is a great company. They definitely know how to run a business well.

Feb 14, 2014 - Key Holder
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lifeway provides a great atmosphere to work for. The staff is all friendly along with management and upper management.

Cons

One of the downsides of working with Lifeway is that, at least in my position and up, it seems like there is ALWAYS some new important task to accomplish. As this is important, at times, it deters from allowing the store to accomplish every day needs with excellence such as serving customers, alphabetizing, stocking, etc...

7. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good starter job, no long-term rewards

Jan 20, 2013 - Key Holder
    Business Outlook

Pros

There was some degree of creativity allowed in creating displays; my coworkers were generally pleasant; 10% discount on merchandise; quick promotion to keyholder due to turnover rate

Cons

No promotional opportunities beyond keyholder; low pay; pressure to "plus-sell" items that generally aren't quality items; no benefits, unless you are a manager or assistant manager; poor system for calling in sick--essentially if you can't find someone to work for you, you are obligated to show up at work, no matter the situation.

8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Lifeway is a great place to work

Oct 27, 2017 - Key Holder in Murfreesboro, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible schedule, friendly staff, better customers than other retail environments. Management is willing to work with you if you need time off. (Like for my kids school holidays)

Cons

Very few hours for staff. Average is 12 hours per week. Mandatory online training is time consuming and pointless. Yes you get paid to take it but it is of little help. You also are required to work Black Friday.

9. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

LifeWay is an amazing work environment for someone with a heart of ministry.

Feb 18, 2014 - Key Holder
    Business Outlook

Pros

Ministry and Discipleship Opportunities Pleasant work environment Flexible schedule eventual opportunities for advancement

Cons

Low pay, raises are few and far between advancement is a very slow process Corporate vision and decision making doesn't always get clearly explained on the store level

Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your work and dedication to help LifeWay grow. The future and vision of LifeWay looks bright and we are excited to see how God works through us in the months ahead. Thank you for all you do.

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 English Reviews