Cover image for Lifeway Christian Resources

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Lifeway Christian Resources Employee Reviews about "room for advancement"

Updated Oct 14, 2020

Lifeway Christian Resources President Ben Mandrell
Ben Mandrell

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Low paying and not enough hours(in 44 reviews)
  • "Low salary, really sales and profit driven, ability to minister has been minimized, management only talks about the numbers all the time, we used to have time for prayer but not any more, district directors.(in 11 reviews)
  • "Long hours(in 9 reviews)
  • "Upper management poorly managed large projects(in 7 reviews)
  • "Store managers have little to no power over any decisions in their locations.(in 6 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Lifeway Christian Resources and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "room for advancement"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 3.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

ok place to work, low pay

Jan 24, 2014 - Sales Associate in Nashville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

off on sundays, flexible schedule, good amount of hours for part time workers, nice coworkers and some customers, good christen values

Cons

very low pay, no raises, no room for advancement, some customers even the staff can be rude and gossipy, plus selling is horrible, ask for too much personal info from customers like address, phone, email. lifeway coupons don't work on lifeway products, can get kinda boring at times

2. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

More Corporate than Christian

Oct 5, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've met some of the nicest people here, and have developed genuine friendships. The new building is beautiful. Pay is fair, if you negotiate. Healthcare and benefits are great and affordable. There are opportunities to work from anywhere on certain days. You might also be able to choose your scheduled hours (most don't work a structured 8-5pm schedule). Nice break rooms on every floor, plus an on-site cafe. Location is close to new restaurants and Starbucks. Parking is never an issue.

Cons

Work/life balance is nonexistent. LifeWay has laid off more and more people, but the work increases. Most people work additional hours at night and on weekends to keep up with their workload. The mission of religion and providing biblical solutions that bring people closer to God is often used to guilt people into working more hours and not speaking up about work concerns. LifeWay also has little to no room for career advancement. A few people on my team have been in the same role for 15+/30+ years with no opportunities to move up. When they've tried to apply for different roles, they were told 'No.' There's a lot of favoritism here, and that drives the opportunities (not merit or hard work). You'll notice the same people 'earn' value awards. There is a leadership development program but, there are no open nominations or suggestions for who should participate, the leadership team handpicks the people they like the most to participate. Then these handpicked associates get most of the opportunities to be promoted. If you want to have a career here, focus more on networking and being in touch with the right people. That face time will get you further than executing your job responsibilities. I believe LifeWay can be a good place to work. If you are lucky enough to have a manager that recognizes and appreciates their employees and have the confidence to allow their team more flexibility and work/life balance. Those managers do exist here, but not on every team. The honeymoon phase usually lasts about a year. So, you should get an idea of the kind of manager you have at the one-year mark.

4 people found this review helpful

Lifeway Christian Resources Response

Thank you for sharing your thoughtful insight about your LifeWay experience. We value employee feedback and regularly seek input to improve the experience for everyone at LifeWay. We have shared your comments with leadership and will further discuss how we can make progress in the areas you referenced. Thanks again for your honest feedback.

3. Join the Lifeway Christian Resources team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 4.0
    Current Employee

Great First Job

Mar 9, 2015 - Sales Associate in Fort Smith, AR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Coworkers are really fun to be around, Nice customers most often, Great management, Positive and uplifting environment This is a great job for college students or someone simply wanting something fun to do for a bit of extra money. The work is easy, fun, enjoyable, and uplifting when you can help customers find things to aid their spiritual lives.

Cons

Low pay that barely exceeds minimum wage, Little room for advancement-one must have a business degree to become a manager. You can be promoted from a sales associate to a 'key holder', but pay isn't much more and responsibilities are much tougher. I have been working with LifeWay for almost 2 years and have only received a 5 cent raise. No raises are expected this year.

Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. We continually look at best practices and opportunities to reward our employee while also seeking opportunities for reducing costs. We want nothing more than to find ways to reinvest in our employees and continue to grow our mission.

5. 3.0

Okay

Jan 20, 2015 - Store Associate in Jackson, MS
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work Environment; Work/Life Balance;

Cons

Low pay, little room for advancement,

Recruiting Coordinator

We thank you for your feedback. Sorry to hear that you had a negative experience at one of our retail stores. We value each employee and the skills/strengths that each provides to the organization. We wish you the best in your continued success.

6. 4.0

Nice place to work

Oct 14, 2020 - Event Associate in Nashville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

LifeWay just recently got a new president and he has really been a bright spot through this crazy year. Because of him he keeps the moral about as boosted as possible and he really cares about employees. I like the chapels that we have every other week as they use it to pour into staff and keep them updated on things around the company. I like to He location, right in north gulch and a nice new building as well.

Cons

Not much room for advancement, departments aren’t great with communications outside of their own. Also did not get paid much and was not offered benefits until a year after I started working there even though I was working full time hours. The company could work on having better diversity and it doesn’t really feel like they try.

7. 4.0
    Current Employee

Great benefits, poor leadership

Mar 11, 2015 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

Without a doubt LifeWay offers highly competitive benefits - insurance, 401k, and more vacation time than a salaried employee can effectively take. It is nice to work for a not-for-profit where you know that good is being done as a result of your hard work. Most everyone is Sunday morning go to church nice to you and some even care about who you are and your family.

Cons

Not much room for advancement and a well-endowed good 'ol boy system plague people in middle management. There is a lack of clear leadership as leadership tends to change every couple of years. We have yet to figure out how to walk the fine line between being 'not-for-the-profit' ministry and a for profit business. Typically the old guard errs on the side of ministry and the new faces are highly motivated by profit.

Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. There is a fine line between non-profit; however we are first and foremost a "mission funded by a business model". As a result, in order to take our mission to the world, we must have funds to do so. We also have to be good stewards of the resources we are entrusted with and continue to modify our business model to support our mission of providing "Biblical Solutions for Life"

8. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Just ok on the store level

Jun 20, 2012 - Assistant Store Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Decent pay Good benefits Product discounts Flexibility in scheduling Good coworkers Excellent products that are easy to be passionate about

Cons

No room for advancement with relocation No communication from corporate with 'little people' Seemingly no regard for the ideas and opinions of front line workers. Management out of touch with day to day store operations

9. 4.0

Good place to work

May 11, 2022 - Sales Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Enjoyed the management and coworkers

Cons

Not much Room for advancement

10. 2.0
    Former Employee

Not a place you want to stay

Mar 23, 2016 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits, flexible hours, and central location

Cons

Poor management, no financial stability within the company and little room for advancement

3 people found this review helpful

Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you were not pleased as a former employee. We wish you the best in your future career.

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 English Reviews
</>Embed

Popular Careers with Lifeway Christian Resources Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at Lifeway Christian Resources? Share Your Experiences

Lifeway Christian Resources logo

Lifeway Christian Resources Careers

Cover image for Lifeway Christian Resources

The ministries of Lifeway Christian Resources have been centered in Nashville, Tennessee, since its founding in 1891. Today Lifeway's...More

• Careers
  • Values
  • History of Lifeway

Reviews by Job Title

Company Updates

399 days ago

Company News
"As the world emerged from the peak of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2021, Lifeway helped churches regain a sense of normalcy while also equipping them for the future. “Lifeway saw many churches joyfully re-engage in ministry activities in 2021 that had to be sidelined or altered for a season due to the pandemic,” said Ben Mandrell, Lifeway president and CEO. “At the same time, churches are also evaluating their next steps. Throughout this past year, Lifeway has continued to strategically adapt to meet the needs of today’s churches while also positioning them for future ministry.” Continue reading: https://blog.lifeway.com/newsroom/2021/12/20/lifeway-helps-churches-return-to-normalcy-in-2021/
Shared image - Lifeway helps churches return to normalcy in 2021
Lifeway helps churches return to normalcy in 2021
blog.lifeway.com

448 days ago

Product News
Lifeway recognized on Newsweek’s Best Online Shops 2022 List Lifeway Christian Resources has been recognized on Newsweek’s list of Best Online Shops 2022. Lifeway landed at No. 5 in the category of media (e.g., books, CD, DVD, software). Lifeway CEO Ben Mandrell said the entire organization is excited to be recognized as a top e-commerce site. “This recognition reflects the hard work by our IT and Marketing teams to improve the user experience at Lifeway.com and to refresh our brand. Both of these have been priorities for Lifeway as we focus on the needs of our customers,” Mandrell said. “We know it’s important for church leaders to find just the right resource at the right time in their ministry. “We’ve taken our customers’ feedback and have been making much-needed improvements to our website,” he continued. “We want to do everything we can to make it easy for church leaders to find the ministry resources they need to be more effective in the work they do.”
Shared image - Lifeway recognized on Newsweek's Best Online Shops 2022 List
Lifeway recognized on Newsweek's Best Online Shops 2022 List
blog.lifeway.com

Lifeway Christian Resources Photos

+ Add Photo
Lifeway Christian Resources photo of: LifeWay Headquarters
Lifeway Christian Resources photo of: President and CEO Dr. Ben Mandrell at his first chapel
Lifeway Christian Resources photo of: LifeWay 2019 Interns
Lifeway Christian Resources photo of: LifeWay Headquarters
Lifeway Christian Resources photo of: "LifeWay doesn't just provide Christian resources for the church, but for your heart, for your relationship with Christ." - Gladys Nava, Bilingual Sales Coordinator
Lifeway Christian Resources photo of: LifeWay Headquarters Cafe

Ramsey Solutions Logo
Ramsey Solutions

4.2

Compare

Glassdoor has 482 Lifeway Christian Resources reviews submitted anonymously by Lifeway Christian Resources employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if Lifeway Christian Resources is right for you.