Lifion Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Lifion President and CEO Carlos Rodriguez
Carlos Rodriguez

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work-life balance - Definitely Yes" (in 13 reviews)

• "Free lunch is nice but it is about the only thing" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Very political, no one really understands how the product works" (in 4 reviews)

• "It's a fast paced environment where changes are made, you need to be able to adapt to those" (in 6 reviews)

"Was amazing so far, now with new leadership"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Lifion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is my 3rd job out of school and the only one I have chosen to stay at for more than 2 years. It's been terrific so far. I am learning a lot, working with great people which for the most part are very motivated. We are also solving hard product challenges. I like both the platform part of the work and the application side, but not all people like both. I feel that leadership really cares, despite not being perfect they are better than any of the other companies I have ever worked in (more on this in Cons section though). Also, the place always trys to improve and do things better, this mostly works but sometimes backfires a bit (see cons as well).

Cons

It's been really good so far, but recently there has been a change of leadership. The previous leader needed to move to another country so they brought in new leaders instead, I don't interact with them much and they seem great so this isn't really a con just something new that I will need to see what happens with. I knew the previous leader for a while and he was great, really nice and you could talk to him whenever you wanted.

Also it's quite a fast moving places that trys to improve all the time and sometimes it feels like 2 steps forward 1 step back. I guess thats overall a good thing, but maybe it would be better if it was 3 steps forward 1 back.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in the people and caring about the product and work.

"Opportunities to grow if you put in effort"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Lifion full-time

Pros

- If you do well, you will get rewarded. Though how to define ‘well’ can be a mix of technical and collaborative skillsets, not strictly technical. So it can be a good opportunity to work on developing teamwork and communication skills. This comes with the territory of being a ~300 person company.
    - Engineering work culture is relaxed with a normal 9-5
    - It depends on your team, there are excellent teams with highly skilled engineers and great personalities to work with
    - As long as you are meeting the larger goals, then there is general freedom to choose your tech solutions
    - High quality free lunch and snacks. They put a lot of effort into this and actively respond to feedback
    - Great vacation policy and people are encouraged to use it

Cons

- Lower pay than average which makes it difficult to get top-tier talent. Though I have seen improvement in this area over the last year
    - It can be difficult to get a meeting room

Advice to Management

Aim for quality instead of quantity for engineers. Be willing to offer top engineers and engineering leadership talent packages that will get them on board. From my perspective, the company would benefit the most from more people with extraordinary talent and many (10+) years of proven experience to guide the product’s development

"Lots of opportunity, Good work life balance"

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Lifion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people, collaborative culture, lots to work on, shipping stuff all the time, great office, good work-life balance, opportunities to grow are plentiful

Cons

The product still has a lot of maturing to do. Complex subject matter. A large amount of collaboration required to get things done.

Advice to Management

Keep on the path, continue to build up our structures

"Interview at Lifion"

Former Employee - Applications Developer
    Former Employee - Applications Developer

I worked at Lifion full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

HR response is quick

Cons

disrespectful interviewer and messed up/confused process

Advice to Management

none

"Lifion is OK"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Lifion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really smart, friendly people
    Free snacks and food are great
    As an engineer, you're working on a very modern and interesting tech stack
    The office is nice
    If you hang around, you'll get promoted

Cons

Very bureaucratic and political
    Massive egos in leadership
    EQ of top level leadership is exceptionally low
    Lifion has existed for over 3 years with lots of ADP funding, but has less than a dozen clients and weak client retention
    Compensation is not very competitive

Advice to Management

Limit decision makers on decisions.
    Empower your employees rather than micromanage them.
    Stoping the lying would be a good place to start.
    There are a lot of great managers who are overshadowed by top level leadership.

"Fundamental issues with leadership, process and culture."

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Lifion full-time

Pros

- Opportunities to work with new technologies and tools, if you can get it approved by upper management
    - Some really nice people work here
    - Improvements were made towards setting and meeting goals from a data-driven perspective
    - Good office location if not a bit small for the team size, and good perks (read: many snacks, unhealthy or not)

Cons

- No cohesion amongst teams, even though everyone is working on the same platform. This generally was improved by the new Core team.
    - A work culture that rewards individualism and finger-pointing over team effort and process. This may have been more or less prevalent depending on the team someone worked on. Visibility of individual accomplishments was put over collaboration and teamwork to meet goals.
    - For an entity that is owned by ADP, benefits to employees were surprisingly not great. Healthcare premiums were not subsidized and parental leave time was decreased during my tenure there.
    - Upper management seemed very political, and it appeared that being the loudest and most aggressive voice in the room would garner support on decisions, rather than sound debate.
    - Unfair and inequitable pay to women. Again, surprising because of the parent company. An investigation took place in 2018 regarding unfair pay for women who were in the same roles and had the same experience as male peers.
    - Generally not a great culture for women. Many anecdotal accounts were given regarding sexist remarks made by an individual person in a leadership role towards multiple women who interacted with him. A woman was given a poor performance review after she had recently returned from maternity leave.
    - A lack of transparency with HR policies, especially regarding working remotely/from home.
    - Difficult to get promoted or get a raise

Advice to Management

Move towards creating a more collaborative and cohesive work culture. This may mean defining more rigid policies across multiple teams.

Make a true effort to support the women and other minorities that work there, especially those in engineering.

Create a more stable work culture. Constant losses and new hires in HR made it difficult to resolve HR issues and shine light on new policies or updates to policies.

Be more transparent and explain why! In hiring, in HR policies, in company-wide initiatives, etc.

"Not for engineers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Lifion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance, very little work actually.

Cons

Very political and does not follow any merit-based system.
    Not meant for engineers because the engineering practices are below the average and so is the expectation from an engineer, thus you won't grow here.

Advice to Management

Please put the right people with the right talent and intent in the right position. Just because someone is licking your butt doesn't mean they deserve favors from you.

"Been here a while now and only continues to get better"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Lifion (More than a year)

Pros

Been here for almost 3 years now and you can tell people really care. The product gets better all the time, and so does the architecture the management, the tools we use and the processes that we follow.

Jira has been tremendous for us, it continues to automate everything more and more. Things that used to take hours of meetings now take minutes.

The tech stack continues to be good and reducing technical debt is ongoing. We just moved to Kubernetes which was a great move. A lot more to do always, but things are getting better.

I am not on that team, but there are ML projects starting up, hopefully i'll be able to be part of that as well soon.

Cons

There is still a lot more automation needed for everything to scale well and I feel there are still too many meetings.

Advice to Management

Invest into automation and move to Slack already, flowdock is terrible and slows us down.

"What an amazing transformation"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Lifion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The product itself is starting to look and feel amazing. When I started 2 years ago it was kind of terrible and pretty non existent. We just went live recently with our new UX system (which I helped create ;) and it is really starting to look amazing. I didn't always believe things would go as planned, but so nice to see where we are.

The people are great to work with and technology stack remains strong. Lot's of architecture issues are now being addressed from the core. Not easy, but very interesting to learn from the architecture group.

Cons

It's a complicated system and complicated environment with a lot of pressure. I've heard my manager agree with and justified it by saying that there are only 4 companies that have ever been able to build a product for this complex market. He is a good person so I believe him. Still would like to see more of the complexity simplified.

"Lifion is a place for "Very Smart People", who can't build a product to save their lives"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chelsea, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chelsea, NY

I worked at Lifion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great Work Life Balance (Most people really work like 10-4)

- Good Snacks + Lunch is catered

- It's very VERY hard to get fired for performance related reasons

- Happy hour every Thursday is a good fun time

- Time off is pretty lenient

- There is always like a handful of pretty rock-solid developers at the company at any given time

- Holiday Parties are pretty fun, a lot of effort goes into them
    - Small gym on premises (with shower)
    - The salary is pretty good for the HR space in NYC. Nothing incredible, but nothing to sneeze at either

Cons

- Extremely Political Environment. Everyone loves to cut down other people's ideas. Politics is the fastest and most assured way you make progress at this company. Good ideas get cut down before they even start, because people want to be the "smartest person in the room". If you have good social skills, you can usually "reach consensus" and get things to work the way you want, but it takes a lot of effort and energy that would be better suited doing real work. People who are good at politics are always highlighted for their contributions, whereas most people are overlooked and forgotten. If you do end up working here, you must be your own cheerleader. Brag about your accomplishments. Sign up for demos. Make sure everyone knows what you do otherwise your work will go to waste.
    - Spreadsheets, useless meetings, and fluffy corporate "management" jobs, eat up developer time. As a dev, I had maybe like 8-15 hours a week where I would actually code. No one on my team could actually tell you what our Manager did. Our product owner and project manager would be on social media for hours at a time.
    - The leaders, directors, and high level managers struggle to paint a vision for the whole company to work towards. On the plus, kool-aid drinking cheerleaders are rewarded for their obedience.
    - It's a business driven culture instead of a product focused one. Way more waterfall than agile. No cohesion between design, dev, QA, and infra. There are multiple "freezes" for important demos, which move us away from CI / CD
 and make the entire platform more brittle.
    - The Project Managers are amongst the least skilled I have had to deal with in the industry. Many of them have not coded significantly enough to understand the technical problems that the devs face and so they cannot contribute in meaningful ways.
    - No urgency for deadlines means no accountability. In the real world, you build software on a budget. Lifion instills bad habits in its devs because no one really needs to deliver anything on time.
 As a result, Not Invented Here Syndrome is a real problem. Wildly complex, "elegant" solutions are the norm. This project started over 5 years ago, has cost over 100 million dollars, and when I left, we STILL couldn't scale the platform to support 100 concurrent users.
    - Health Benefit coverage is significantly lower than advertised. You are lumped in with ADPs healthcare policy which is for 60k employees, which means you get very basic coverage
    - Nap pods are really uncomfortable, not a perk worth considering at all.

Advice to Management

- There are serious dysfunctions in the way this company is running. I am convinced this company could NEVER survive if it didn't get coddled with funds from ADP.
    - There is a toxic environment of Hubris and Politics that dominate the way business is done at Lifion. Stop with the spreadsheet culture and death by committee group votes (often with 6+ stakeholders) for every decision.
    - Retrain and downsize the organization. There is a lot of bureaucratic fluff that slows everything down. Let go of your poor performing employees. Enforce Deadlines. Take the training wheels off. Reduce the number of product owners. Reduce the number of project managers. Stop promoting everyone to Director and Senior Manager, just get on with the work already!
    - Study Lean process engineering again. Continuous Innovation. Agile. These methodologies are important to embody, not just pay lip service to.