Lime Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 15, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Adam Procell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great Company and great people"

I have been working at Lime Energy full-time

Pros

Great Company to work for. Management is very transparent, and has open door policy. Friendly people and everyone works as a team with the same objective. Great work life balance. Overall would totally recommend Lime Energy as a great place to work

Cons

Can't think of anything that I would consider a con

2. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Lime Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growing company with nice benefits and opportunities to make a difference. Experts in the energy efficiency field. Great, smart people to work with daily.

Cons

Geographically dispersed locations can make it difficult to keep in touch sometimes. Employees have an open door relationship with management and each other which helps.

Advice to Management

Continued growth with stable core business. Keep up the good work across all markets.

3. "Warning: Avoid"

Former Employee - Energy Advisor
    Former Employee - Energy Advisor

I worked at Lime Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lime Energy provides you with a company phone/data plan, flexible work schedule (let's say you hit your weekly quota on Monday - you could theoretically take the rest of the week off), utilize your own sales process (unless management decides to micromanage you), and if you are ahead of quota, no one will contact you for anything (so you can do whatever you want).

Cons

After reading many of these reviews, I admit, it looks like many disgruntled employees who just write a misspelled one-liner or two just to vent. Let me see if I can help you, the reader, with a more detailed review.

Before I begin, keep in mind that while the majority of these reviews are riddled with spelling errors and incomplete thoughts, they still paint a picture of the individuals Lime Energy hires. I'm by no means trying to be high and mighty here, but the individuals who are hired are not the brightest. I can personally attest to that - when I was hired in sales, I knew nothing about the sales industry!

Now, a few points:
    • No clear sales process: Management wants you to treat the sales role as an administrative role - walk into every and any business (even if they're not qualified), find someone/anyone to use as a "point of contact" (even a receptionist), assess the facility and email the proposal to whoever. That's the mantra of management; always email the proposal, no matter what, even if they are not qualified. Look, if you sell that way then good for you, but that is not a consultative sales approach.
    • Old/outdated in-house technology: Welcome to the world of multiple platforms that do not interact with each other and consistently crash. Want to hypothetically track your pipeline? You need to log into system A, download an excel spreadsheet for offline use, search the spreadsheet for an address, now log into system B to search that address, and from there you can see the dollar amounts of the account, but not the contacts/addresses/etc. Incredibly inefficient technology that has incompetent developers (they develop on Internet Explorer for god's sake, and advise you don't use Chrome, as their programs will crash!). Sales employees do not use Salesforce, or any type of competent CRM
    • No culture: Welcome to your own personal island, an island where you will never talk to anyone except your manager, maybe once every two weeks (if you need something urgent they can take hours, if not days to get back to you). But if you work for Lime, you actually want no interaction with their sales employees. They are backstabbing, and only self-serving. Example: I was working on an account sales cycle, and an employee jumped in and attempted to sell it! Management did nothing.
    • Read the review from the "former manager" and the guy who discusses Lime Energy being removed from NASDAQ. Not saying the other reviews are not true (they are), but those two in particular are in-depth.
    • No raises: You will never get one. My salary was $39k. No opportunity to make $100k. I was a top earner. I repeat, no raises.

Look, I have more I could write. But ultimately the choice is yours, reader. You can ignore the reviews and go for a company that has a 2.9 rating as of 8/15, or you could avoid.

Advice to Management

I was reading an article in Harvard Business Journal the other day that discussed exit interviews, and I think that advice is spot on for you.

Your greatest attribute to your company's success is your people. Take into account the feedback they give you, if you want to be successful. As of now, you make everyone feel like a number. No feedback is taken into consideration, and there is no transparency.

I wish you the best in whatever you're tying to accomplish.

"Former Manager"

I worked at Lime Energy full-time

Pros

Great industry, opportunity to help small businesses grow by providing them with a solution to rising energy bills.

Some amazing staff members and support teams (project managers and project coordinators worked very hard to support the business)

Cons

The reviews prior to mine express the frustration all employees had with Lime, including managers such as myself. The constant lack of a decision making process left employees (and managers) with limited information, no direction to follow, and a growing sense of impending doom.

Their accounting (fraud) issues continue to haunt them and they can't seem to disconnect themselves from the individuals that played a major part in the scheme. The de-listing of their stock from NASDAQ was simply a reprieve from SEC oversight so that they could continue to manage the business like a club house without worry (the board of directors either supports the "boys club" mentality or is oblivious to the level of incompetency).

The worst part of the deal is the amount of lies that the management team has to tell to support their management style. They don't have to treat employees like numbers, and by the time they realize that there are people that will work hard for a cause, it'll be too late.

Advice to Management

Listen. It's as simple as that. Read the reviews and learn where your flaws are. Best of luck.

5. "Scam"

Current Employee - Energy Advisor
    Current Employee - Energy Advisor

I have been working at Lime Energy (More than a year)

Pros

None.. I guess if you some sales training, but that's it no career at this company which is very unfortunate.

Cons

Energy advisors and sales are used and let go. Execs do very little and make nice livings, everyone else feeds their pockets in a dying industry.

Advice to Management

Don't know where to begin

6. "You used to have me at hello"

I have been working at Lime Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

very flexible schedule and ultimate purpose to help small businesses reduce their energy consumption

Cons

Compensation is not commensurate of work of load and the company promotes mainly white Caucasian males to higher positions

Advice to Management

Celebrate diversity and compensate better

7. "Senior Analyst"

Former Employee - Senior Applications Analyst in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Analyst in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Lime Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work with clients comprising the nation's most important utilities. Lots of independence with international array of coworkers.

Cons

Data integrity received very little attention. Very weak management decisions on regard to implementing in house built advanced software and data reporting tools.

Advice to Management

Try to increase transparency and improve communication with top level employees. Give more attention to high quality work and employee's production and less to the bottom line.

"Worst experience of my life"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Lime Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only pro is that there are a few good people there. They won't be there long though because anyone who is aware of their surroundings knows they are on a sinking ship.

Cons

-dishonesty starting at the executive level down (google lime energy accounting fraud).
    -Company was kicked off NASDAQ (again, google)
    -the people who are running the company still have friendships with people listed in the fraud charges! They even give them jobs and contracts.
    -incredibly unprofessional work environment starting from the top. They come to work at like noon then go to lunch. then they start having meetings at 5pm and don't leave until 11pm. If they just worked a regular day they could get stuff done.
    -They will schedule meetings and keep you waiting for hours to start the meeting. they have a complete disregard for your time.
    -If you're not on the executive team you work a regular schedule starting at 8am. But since they don't work regular hours you can expect phone calls, emails and texts all night because they don't even start working until mid-afternoon. You will not have one day, including vacation time, when your phone isn't going off because your manager has some simple dumb question they don't know how to do.
    -four hour meetings where nobody has an agenda and nothing happens.
    -they change direction ALL the time. They have no idea what they are selling next. Half the management has severe impulse issues where they just throw out orders with no direction.
    -They yell and swear at each other in meetings. One member of leadership is incredibly inappropriate and creates a hostile environment full of sexual harassment.
    -If you are the friend of leadership you'll get promoted or moved around for protection while other people take the fall for their ineptitude
    -They waste millions of $$$ on ideas that they think of on the fly and never follow through on.
    -They hire sales reps in territories around the country knowing they will be firing them right after their funding runs out.
    -They purchased a company a few years ago and told everyone they were safe, then fired them all. They even cut their medical insurance the day they fired them and didn't provide cobra information leaving a lot of people with no access to medications and doctors with NO notice. That just shows a complete disregard for humanity.
    -Toxic, mean people are allowed to be toxic, mean people.
    -The most talented people are not the ones promoted. The people promoted are yes-men and boys club members.
    -Although money was made in programs across the country, the company bleeds money in other areas. Like getting executives apartments so they can drink after work and stay near the office.

Advice to Management

Management would never listen to advice. They would laugh off any criticism and believe they are untouchable. But very shortly the company will be done.
    Message to the Board: Clean house if you want to save your money.

9. "Lime"

I worked at Lime Energy full-time

Pros

Good, friendly people and fun atmosphere

Cons

Company is unstable and lacks organization

10. "lacked Communication"

I worked at Lime Energy full-time

Pros

Employees were friendly and helpful

Cons

Management could have been more forthcoming