Limeade Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Limeade CEO Henry Albrecht
Henry Albrecht

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The flexibility to set your own schedule, work from home and feel empowered to do your work in a way that works for you is invaluable" (in 4 reviews)

• "work-life balance, WFH when needed" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Leadership Team doesn't respect each other, tickle down effect" (in 6 reviews)

• "It is a tech company, but not the stereotypical fast-paced one that you would think of when you think tech" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great benefits"

I have been working at Limeade full-time

Pros

I love what the company stands for, and that they put energy into employee care

Cons

Transparency from leadership and immediate management is lacking.

"Ambitious company with huge goals. Never been happier"

I have been working at Limeade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great mission and company culture. Lots of opportunity to own key initiatives and lead. Feels great to be working for a company that cares for it's employees and wants to help other companies do the same.

Cons

Not exactly a con, but if you aren't proactive and a self-starter you will struggle here. Also - as the company continues to grow and mature, some are not able to keep up, deal with ambiguity or navigate change. The company is moving quickly and complacency is another reason people wash out. Management is challenging how things have been done in the past - which is hard for some employees.

Advice to Management

Stay true to the mission. Great to see the company reinforcing the need to work well with others. If you can't do that, you don't (and shouldn't get to) stay here.

"Great company, quirky people, one heckuva ride...."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Limeade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cool people - tons of yogis, meditators, athletes, coaches, and well-being fanatics. Everyone we work with has nuggets of wisdom, personal passions, and cool stories to tell.

Mission - we get to help people improve themselves every day

Customers - for the most part we have awesome customers who love our product and partner with us to make it better. Our quarterly Limeade Advisory Board meetings are an awesome love-fest that energizes our company and gives us great product and service feedback.

Fast - we get to build and deploy products quickly. Very satisfying place to be a product person!

Cons

Scaling is hard - as a growth company we are always trying to sell new and exciting things. This can make it hard to support the products and processes we have previously created.

Advice to Management

Stay positive, stay visionary, and keep us focused

4. "Sales Development Representative"

I have been working at Limeade full-time

Pros

Really great culture and practice what they preach

Cons

Small company and little opportunity for growth

"Company on the verge of dying"

Former Employee - Software in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Software in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Limeade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Some people working there (none of the senior management/leadership) are great. Although majority of technically capable people had left over last few years.
    - Free gym on site
    - Ability to not really work much/hard if you are into that. Office 2/3 empty most of the days.

Cons

- You can tell when a particular company has not much left time-wise. Politics and meetings are 95% of time. Half the people are managing some kind of "projects", and no software ever gets shipped. Sheer number of people in management is choking any kind of work and dotted-line relationships mean no decisions ever get made by those who actually do the work.
    - Majority of people hired into tech roles don't have the technical chops to make it. To contribute to this issue, they get even worse at Limeade since there is no work happening and tech stack is stuck in ancient days. The ones that care about being employable later on are leaving or have left.
    - Culture of fear was chosen over trust. There is absolutely zero desire to take risks as you get punished for every one of them. It is easier to do nothing and "work from home".
    - There is complete secrecy surrounding firings or people leaving and huge amount of turn over. People find out anyway, so there is huge rumor mill and absolute fear from leadership to be truthful as it may accelerate turnover even more.
    - Most in the company know that HR can not be trusted. Any opinion that doesn't fit the propaganda leads to eventual HR witch hunt and hugely demoralizing working environment. Many disengaged workers just constantly complain about current culture over 3 hour lunches, I even stopped having lunches with co-workers as it was too depressing.
    - People get promoted on simple length of "sentence served" and absolute failures covered up by pretty powerpoints. There are tons of people that are in positions with zero experience for those positions.
    - Huge control issues. People seem to be more interested in getting someone to do things their way than to getting anything done.
    - Tech stack (and decisions going forward made by those who don't understand tech) are setting up Limeade to fail technologically and they are set in stone and planned for many years ahead. That failure was covered up for a while by slick marketing work, but you can only go so far before it starts blowing up on you slowly but surely.
    - There is somehow the myth of "agile" environment that's based on heavy upfront planning lol. New hires can't figure out at first if we are joking or not when we call this Agile. There are many more people hours spent in planning that on any work that comes out of it.
    Honestly, I have never worked in environment as depressing as this. Despite best efforts of many involved with genuine desire to make a difference in the world. I squarely point blame finger on leadership as putting that effort to waste. I have seen pockets of collaboration, productivity, trust-based relationships, but they are completely choked out by HR and leadership. As soon as they occur they get taken over by some kind of "project manager" who will be focused on bringing things under his/her control, therefore destroying any benefit that comes out of those. I would advise this company only to those who would like to do nothing for half a year, collect large paycheck (so director or higher) and search for other opportunities along the way.

Advice to Management

This was a vibrant company that (for the last few years) was running on fumes of it's past glory. Henry - step aside and reboot. Hire CEO that can do crisis management, chop most of this company, get rid of waste, I guarantee you that 10 people can get more done than currently 200+ are wasting time on. I don't know if this can be saved TBH, it may be better just to salvage what you can in any way you can and invest elsewhere. If you are "turning corner" for many years and it's the same corner...time to move on.

"Waste of time"

I worked at Limeade full-time

Pros

-Some genuinely smart & ambitious employees.

Cons

- Leadership team is incompetent.
    - Most employees lack the vision.
    - There is absolutely no market research or analysis. Every decision is sales driven.
    - Absolutely no business insights to drill down on how the product is doing.
    - People are busy creating controversies and adding complications to the already messed up culture.
    - Absolutely no ramp-up plan for new hires. You are thrown into a mess and expected to turn the mess into a miracle!
    - Everyone has an opinion and the loudest is always heard!
    - Management just cares about the buzz words. They look for clarity while they do a horrible job at setting clear goals.
    - Favoritism runs in the culture. If you are in the good books of the LT, you can survive.
    - Pretty PPTs and useless features -that’s what gets you to the top!
    - If you know how to talk BS and convince the LT, your life is set!
    - Bullies all around!! Some people are just too sadistic and get pleasure by seeing others struggle. It gives them a sense of accomplishment!!
    - Once a certain perception is created, which might be a huge mistake to begin with, it has a trickle down effect! Again, management influences the perception.
    - Very negative vibes overall. They really don’t walk the talk. Disappointing to say the least!!

Advice to Management

CEO is energetic and ambitious. His ideas and thoughts resonate with me. He has to do a better job at making sure the R&D team buys into his vision and direction.
    Rest of the LT, don’t even bother! If you start being a little humble & empathetic, you could probably change the world! But, you guys are just too busy controlling and creating office politics to do anything innovative!

"Confused company and poor leadership"

I worked at Limeade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people aside from the leadership were fantastic! Committed, caring, hardworking. They made the craziness fun.

Cons

Unfortunately, this company has never been able to figure out who they are and brand themselves accordingly. They keep changing directions. They want to think they are a SaaS company, they want to think they are a well-being company and they want to think they are an employee engagement company and they want to think they are a data company. Truth is they are a little bit of each so kind of "jack of all trades and master to none" The CEO is narcissistic so can't get out of the way and hires "group think" to follow what he wants.

Advice to Management

Figure out the one thing you are good at and hire leaders who can make that happen.

"Poor leadership team"

I have been working at Limeade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance, friendly coworkers

Cons

Really inexperienced leadership team, and the company is struggling. The 'well-being' market overall is a fad, and most savvy HR leaders know that it is a bad investment. What is really sad is that leadership recruits (preys on) employees who really do want to make a positive impact and are excited about the mission, only to be shocked when they join and see how the company is full of snake oil salesmen selling vaporware to Benefits Directors who have no idea what they're getting into. It's so bad that most of the positive reviews that you see on Glassdoor are written by management - for every negative review, they post two fake glowing reviews about how 'mission-driven' the company is and how it's on the right path. Inside everyone is panicking about the future and employees are berated by the CEO (who is willing to point to anybody expect himself for the company's misfortunes)

Engineering leadership is very inexperienced, the team has no structure, is dealing with a code base from the 1880s, every meeting is dysfunctional, and every release is severely delayed and is full of bugs. The company is based entirely on marketing, branding and image.

If you're looking to 'change the world', go volunteer for an organization that actually helps people, don't come to work for Limeade.

Advice to Management

Please actually try to create the culture that you're selling. You sell 'organizational support and manager training on employee well-being', yet there's no management training at the company. You advocate the need to build spaces dedicated to well-being, yet our 'well-being' room is a former phone booth with no windows (created just to check the box). You market your well-being content that drives healthy habits, but in reality it's just a bunch of 'i did it' challenges that you know nobody is actually doing. You integrate with some legit partners but provide none of those programs to your actual employees. If you truly focused on creating an amazing culture at Limeade, maybe you could figure out how to sell that to other companies.

"A Great Company Who Cares About Their People"

I have been working at Limeade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Limeade is a practice-what-they-preach company. They genuinely invest in the well-being of their employees.
    -The benefits are unbeatable, and the people they hire want to contribute to their mission
    -The passion that the leadership has for wellness is astonishing
    -Despite being a tech company, they hire a wide range of experienced people (regarding age/other), and don't work their people to death for a low wage like a lot of new age tech companies
    -The culture is great

Cons

-With any newer company, there will always be a little bit of disconnect and some bumps in the road, but its nothing that is so blaring that it makes it a bad company to work for
    -It is a tech company, but not the stereotypical fast-paced one that you would think of when you think tech

"Sales Development Representative"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Limeade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great manager (org. support), leadership has a good head on their shoulders, career support is there if you put in the effort to find it

Cons

Reorganization/restructuring of a company this size, and in such varying growth stages, means positions get cut

Advice to Management

speak plainly, and inspire mutual commitment through this action