Limelight Networks Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Limelight Networks President, CEO & Director Robert Lento
Robert Lento

Pros
  • Great industry, relaxed work environment, with continuously improving processes and products (in 23 reviews)

• If you work in the Tempe, AZ office there is free food in the cafeteria (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management really doesn't understand how important security is, or they would rather not think about it (in 13 reviews)

• There is no career advancement at the company (in 5 reviews)

"Great Place to Work, Very Engaging!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly environment, always feel welcomed. Free food/parking. Upper Management is always keeping us in the loop about what's going on, they seem very eager to keep the company moving in the right direction towards growth. I'm always left feeling valued and like my voice counts, which makes going to work easier every day.

Cons

No cons to share, this is a cool company to work for, if you work hard.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, I'm glad to be apart of the team.

"Great work experance"

Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A wonderful company to work for. Leaving this company was one of the hardest professional decisions I had to make.

Cons

There has been a change of management and I hear the company is in a maintain mode and not really growing

"great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Pros

Being part of a a turn around story is exhilarating. Great teams of committed employees who are in it for the long haul..

Cons

Upward mobility is limited due to the small size of organizations.

Advice to Management

Keep on the track we are on and there will be huge rewards.

"Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, great people, great opportunities if you're lucky to have the right management.

Cons

Sometimes can be political, sometimes good ideas are ignored. In the right org, you can learn a lot and get really far.

Advice to Management

Be open minded. Some of your greatest minds, ideas, and strategies may come from middle management and not just your executive circles.

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance. Good work environment, relaxed dress code, open deli, good benefits, and decent pay. Somewhat Low turnover in sales department; better than it used to be. 100% match to 3%, and 50% match on 401k match up to 5%.

Cons

There's a bit of a good 'ol boys network mentality with lower management favoring certain employees, and the last sales management hire is a head scratcher--didn't hire from within like they should have. Not much opportunity to climb the ladder. Would have to go elsewhere to make more money.

Advice to Management

I'm not exactly sure why there are so many VP's, or why they're needed. Cut a few VP's and give your Sales staff a bump in pay--your sales staff is bringing in money, not costing you money.

Limelight Networks Response

Aug 27, 2015 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for your response. We believe that work/life balance is an important part of our value proposition, which is why we implemented the flexible PTO policy for exempt employees. You mentioned ... More

"Marketing"

Former Employee - Digital Marketing in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Digital Marketing in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very fun place to work! Awesome perks: 24/7 free cafeteria, good pay, work from home anytime, great two-week training program for ALL new hires (US and overseas included), new hardware and software custom ordered for your needs upon hire, lots of travel for most roles - some international, nap rooms, wii setups, ping pong, cool onsite NOC, lots of meeting rooms, great view of downtown Tempe and adjacent access to Light Rail.

Cons

Very long work days and work weeks. Lots of turnover at all levels while I was there.

Advice to Management

Most of my managers were great - I had five different ones during my tenure. I just wish more of them had stayed with the company longer (some left on their own accord, others were let go due to re-org).

"Fairly positive outlook"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I think the company is getting its act together. The focus is on improving efficiency and reliability and it's showing in the uptick in customer activity. 401k has a decent match with IMMEDIATE vesting, which is huge. The much-mentioned deli is a nice perk: free food and drink and you don't have to face Arizona summers.

Cons

We seem to be very top-heavy (director and above) for the number of employees we have. five C-level (which seems reasonable), twenty-three VPs and a gobsmacking SIXTY-THREE directors, for a company with less than six hundred employees, and yes there are managers , too, which I did NOT count. Meanwhile there seems to never be enough engineers to do things, as teams responsible for new products routinely get co-opted for other unrelated things.

Advice to Management

In general I'm thinking you're taking the company in the right direction, but take a good look at just how much all these levels you've built between the tactical and strategic levels are costing you in terms of money, feedback, and agility. Some of them are really good and worth it, but others seem to be mostly lurking around for things to clamp onto to get credit for.

This isn't really management advice, but because of this top-heavy structure, it is difficult to get recognized for excellent work in the trenches, so if you want to get a raise and/or a promotion, just waiting for it to come won't likely work. If you're not manager level or above, you'll need to make a case with your manager, and use facts. Do your homework.

"A great learning experience"

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working in the Operations area, things could get hectic, but every day was an opportunity to learn and improve technical abilities. Schedule was often changing, but management was quite flexible to accommodate to one's personal life needs and priorities. It was a great team that was constantly collaborating and helping each other to succeed. Also, a fully stocked deli that provided free meals was a great plus!

Cons

Promotions and salary increases took a long time to happen. Communication between different departments (e.g. technical to non-technical) was often poor.

"Lots of changes, but transitioning in the right direction"

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a great company to work for that's in a great period of positive transition. If you like working with smart resources, this is a great place to be. Company in the past has been run more like a start up, longer than it should have. But the new management team has a solid business plan with positive results.

Office culture is great; fun team to work with.

Cons

Management change is always hard on any company. Org chart is constantly in a change of flux... if you're flexible, you'll be fine.

Advice to Management

Best to focus on retention at this point, stabilize the organization, and lead from the top.

"Great Employer"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits at LLNW are great, the values are in line with our mission, and unlimited vacation policy is amazingly flexible. There is a lot of room for career growth and development in this company. The atmosphere is clean, bright and cheery.

Cons

My main complaint is that middle management has the tendency of overreacting and not handling crisis management well. There is definitely room for improvement that our new c-suite team is doing a great job trying to improve. They are placing new industry experienced Senior VPs that help Mgr to Director level employees improve in this area.

Advice to Management

Please supply more management training in the areas of HR, Cultural Diversity and Crisis Management. Please...not video trainings. Actual experienced trainers that can provide in-person training courses in efforts to help them become more effective leaders. Middle Management should also look at this type of training as an opportunity to improve not a waste of their time.