Limelight Networks Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Limelight Networks President, CEO & Director Robert Lento
Robert Lento

Pros
  • Great industry, relaxed work environment, with continuously improving processes and products (in 23 reviews)

• can't think of any other than free food at corporate office (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management really doesn't understand how important security is, or they would rather not think about it (in 13 reviews)

• There is no career advancement at the company (in 5 reviews)

"Wonderful Place to Work"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are always friendly, upbeat and willing to help you in any way that they can. There is just a great atmosphere at this company - which is sometimes difficult to find!

Cons

Really can't think of any - other than all the free food in the FREE Deli on site has succeeded in making me put on a few extra pounds.

Advice to Management

Continue encouraging great behaviors and don't forget to say thank you for doing a great job! As the One Minute Manager used to say - Always LOOK for the good and correct the bad - in private!

"Software Internship (Summer)"

Former Intern - Intern in Tempe, AZ
    Former Intern - Intern in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Limelight Networks as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Helpful team
    Decent Mentoring
    Exposure to new projects

Cons

Never given challenging work
    Little attention or monitoring by manager. Most communication over IRC with online mentors, whose schedule and priorities are different

"Account Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solid vision and objectives to conquer the market opportunity at hand. Many talented individuals and leaders with great products along with the ability to execute.

Cons

High turnover slows down progress and damages employee morale. The company is trying to catch up and oftentimes step on their own toes trying to do so.

Advice to Management

If someone makes you a reasonable offer please take it, many of us will forever thank you....

"play hard and work hard"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Limelight Networks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Limelight is one of the best companies to work for if you like to maintain a flexible schedule. Are able to work physically long hours and are resilient. Staff at limelight has a bee hive mentality, we will get it done together. Awesome!!! You can count on your fellow mates for team work. Oh by the way the food is absolutely fantastic.

Cons

Very little opportunity for growth.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees.
    Employees and the service they provide adds on to how others view company
    Provide training for all levels of workers.

"Great environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Pros

Flexible Schedule
    Cafe
    Great working environment
    Life/Work balance
    Competitive pay
    Decent medical coverage
    Paid holidays
    Vacation pay
    Relaxed fun environment

Cons

Higher medical deductible, but that is with most medical coverage's any more.

Advice to Management

Keep growing internal employees to maintain long term good employees. Incentives like the cafe are fantastic. Keep those up to maintain happy employees.

"Cool company that is moving in the right direction!"

Current Employee - Business Development Executive in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Business Development Executive in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunch everyday, good base pay, laid back work environment, good 401k options, employee stock plan with discounts, nice career growth opportunities

Cons

Sometimes lack of features with certain product will potentially lose business deals.

Advice to Management

Keep moving in the right direction!

"Company is really going places!"

Current Employee - Director in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Director in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time

Pros

The company is finally starting to lose its "start-up" mentality and work towards growing up and being the large company that I always knew it could be. Getting in now while we are on the rocket ride upwards with the new management team would be advisable.

Cons

There is not a lot of loyalty to keeping good employees at this time, but they are actively working on this issue.

Advice to Management

Need to work to keep the 'good guys' on staff and not let other companies poach so many of them.

"Genuinely glad to be here"

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Let me just say that I consider myself to be working my dream job so I'm going to be very optimistic in my review. Your mileage may vary. Everyone's experience is unique.

The good: interesting product mix, challenging business problems that employees have the opportunity to play a part in solving, and a company that listens and responds to the needs of all stakeholders (employees, customers, and shareholders). New leadership team has a valid strategic vision and is taking steps to achieve it - I have seen progress since I joined the company 2 QTRs ago. The high growth environment has given me the chance to play a visible role in building this company's success, and seeing the tangible results of those efforts is rewarding. I can only speak for my department, but we've brought on top notch senior leadership with real experience running large software/technology corporations and the teams that power them. Every day I get exposed to great minds across various functions - some of the smartest people I've worked with and usually willing to share their knowledge if you just ask. Is our stock through the roof? No, but fixing that problem is part of the fun!

To address the concerns of other reviewers: (1) I don't believe that the Marketing department is posting falsely positive reviews on this site. I've met plenty of people who are thrilled to work for Limelight and believe they, like me, are writing authentic 5 star reviews because they've had 5 star experiences. (BTW it is HR, not Marketing, that is responsible for recruitment. Marketing would have no reason to paint a falsely rosey picture of employee engagement on a site like Glassdoor.) (2) There is turnover in some departments which is very common when new leadership takes over. I understand there have been some frustrations with changes in the organization and some individuals have left, but there are also long term employees who are still here, or have left and returned, because things are moving in a positive direction. The CEO holds open forums, luncheons, etc. to let employees voice concerns, and I have seen entirely new programs developed as a direct response to concerns voiced in those meetings. Management is transparent and open about making this company an employer of choice. (3) Speaking from personal experience I can say that salary and benefits are great. Health, life, long term/short term disability, free food... our benefits are better than many other, much larger companies. Granted I live in Tempe (lower cost than some other cities we're located in) but between the solid compensation package and company culture I feel pretty lucky to be at Limelight. (4) Employees can grow with this company. We just initiated a goals tracking system to clarify precisely what employees should be measured on, and we have visibility into the goals of senior management. There are constant product and sales training sessions, conferences to attend, articles and useful industry info circulated - no tuition reimbursement but other benefits make up for it IMHO. Given my so far short tenure here I can't speak to ascension opportunities but if you're in it for the learning and professional development it seems like an excellent place to be. (Everyone deserves to advance in their careers and I have heard many people complain there aren't opportunities to progress in responsibility, salary, and title here but I just haven't been around long enough to know for sure.) (5) Yep you'll work a lot of hours but flextime/work from home arrangements have made that possible for me, even while trying to balance family and personal life. Technology is magic that way.

If you're willing to put in the hard work, be flexible with a company that's at this stage of growth, and maintain a good attitude even when there are setbacks... then you can thrive here.

Cons

High growth companies aren't for everybody. If you prefer a company where processes are already 100% in place, or want total stability, then you might not be happy at Limelight just yet (give it 2 years). We're also still integrating ourselves out culturally; acquisitions and decentralized engineering driven organization can cause dissonance among departments/regions/old-vs-new employees.

Advice to Management

Get more women in leadership positions right away. It's not acceptable that the entire Board of Directors, entire C-suite, and all but one a very few VP level positions are filled by men. Continue everything you're doing to address the concerns voiced by your customers, shareholders, and employees. Remain open to candid feedback.

"Good to Great"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is moving in the right direction and is taking every opportunity to listen to the employees. Yes, there is change. The company wants to become better and things will have to change in order to get there. Some people who don't like the direction have complained and left. Current employees can speak and make a difference. It is great.

Yes, there can be longer hours every now and then. We take care of customers and if something isn't working (happens with technology), then we will help our customers.

The people who work for Limelight are extremely intelligent and knowledgeable. They are more than willing to help at all times and are always accessible. I have been able to reach out to every person in the company including C-Level in order to get help.

The deli is great. It is pretty nice to have free drinks all over the place. I have no idea about someone's comments regarding alcoholism as I have seen nothing to show that. Casual dress code is a nice plus as well.

Cons

There are some cons. Internally, there is an adjustment going on with new senior management as can be expected. The new executives are smart people and understand business. They aren't here to hurt the company and haven't come in with their own ideas to implement with no advice from others.

Advice to Management

Continue to be open and honest with the employees as you have been doing. It is appreciated and your accessibility is rare in most companies.

"Best place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I read all 8 reviews before posting and thought I should set the record straight. I've learned that 1 star reviews you find on the internet are typically based on emotion rather than fact, and that seems to be the case here.

Limelight is the best company I've ever worked for, hands down. Their excellent benefits include: competitive salary, quality medical/dental/vision insurance, flexible hours, telework opportunities, and an onsite 24x7 self-serve deli (Tempe HQ office). Obviously every position is not eligible for flex hours and telework, but many are. Even at Limelight's other offices where there is no deli, the company stocks snacks and drinks. And you are free to go offsite for lunch despite what one reviewer stated.

All supervisors and management I've ever worked under have been open and friendly. I have advanced twice since starting at the company 5 years ago. Senior management is very forward-thinking and engaged. They provide regular updates to the entire company, and are very transparent internally compared to most organizations. No, they haven't turned the company into Apple or Google yet, but the company is continually improving and gaining industry recognition.

Limelight is a small group of hard-working professionals who have built a leading digital services provider. The company is steadily moving forward and in less than 10 years has become a leader in the industry. Our customers love us and reward us with new business all the time. We're more of a partner to them than a vendor. Anyone in the know is already aware of this. If this sounds like your kind of place, I welcome you to join us. You will be challenged and rewarded.

Cons

Limelight is a truly unique company. There really are no other companies out there that do exactly what we do, the way we do it. There are a couple that come close, but not quite. This is a huge bonus in our industry. However, the cost of being on the bleeding-edge of this new business concept is the unpredictability and frequent change and adaptation required.

Right now, the company is constantly growing and changing, and with that comes frequent re-organization and new process implementation and refinement. This can be frustrating, but if you are willing to be flexible and to take charge where you see an opportunity, you will be successful. Sometimes problems (read: opportunities) come up and you just have to own it and take care of it yourself. If you have a "That's not my job" mentality, you won't last long here. We are a tight-knit group of professionals who are not afraid to get our hands dirty and are always willing to help each other out to get the job done.

I've been here for over 5 years and am used to regular change, but I suppose many people can be frustrated by this, particularly if they are from a large, well-established organization. Limelight is still very "lean"; employees are numbered in the hundreds, not thousands. If you expect everything to be perfectly ordered and predictable, good luck in the tech world. Go work at a telco, bank, or insurance company.

Advice to Management

Work on developing and implementing a concrete, effective internal organizational plan with clear responsibilities and processes, one with that will work now and into the future. This will provide a more welcoming environment for employees who are not