Limelight Networks Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Limelight Networks President, CEO & Director Robert Lento
Robert Lento

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free food - legit deli style sandwiches, soups, sodas, and much more (in 23 reviews)

• Great industry, relaxed work environment, with continuously improving processes and products (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management really doesn't understand how important security is, or they would rather not think about it (in 13 reviews)

• Salary is good, but some larger companies with similar roles can afford to do better by between 20-30% typically (in 4 reviews)

"Limelight is a great place to work"

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Engineers get to innovate and create solutions regularly
    Small team sizes maintain startup feel but with mid-size budgets
    Management provides clear objectives and respects their employees
    Very solid work-life balance is possible

Cons

Competitive market space
    Based in Phoenix

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do, great things are ahead!

"Best company I've worked for so far"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed work environment in a very flexible schedule
    Easy to step away during the day for a game of pool or ping pong in the office
    Ability to work on cutting edge technology and help develop the tools and products of the internet future
    Work from home whenever needed

Cons

As a salary employee I work about 50-60 hours a week
    Internally many things are dependent on single people - causes issues when you can't get a hold of that one person

Advice to Management

Make sure you are keeping employees happy with bonus/pay compensation and carerr growth. No one likes to feel like they are going no where in their career.

"Fun, Energetic, cutting edge technical environment"

Current Employee - Vice President of Operations in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Vice President of Operations in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Limelight is adaptive, creative, and energizing place to work! The company thrives on speed and agility to deliver next gen digital presence services. The technical proficiency in their support put limelight in the top tier of technical companies in the valley of the sun.

Cons

The Proximity to major highways tend to make it challenging to commute during peak traffic times.

Advice to Management

Continue to drive the culture that has made limelight such a great place to work. It's critical to the success of any company to listen to the front line, middle management and continually create engagement across all teams.

"Fantastic company to work for!"

Current Employee - Director in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Director in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely flexible hours (depending on department)
    Free food/snacks from the world famous Limelight Deli
    Your fellow employees will consist of an immense brain-trust of talent including some of the nation's top notch engineers, programmers, managers and technicians.

Cons

Some of the departments have mandatory 10 hours shift, but they are 4 x 10's
    Some departments have mandatory 12 hour shifts but they are 4/3, 3/4 day structures by week.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and pushing Limelight forward to the future!!

"Great Growing Company"

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People & Perks. You'll work with some of the smartest people you've ever met. The perks are outstanding. Besides the infamous free deli, you'll enjoy great medical/dental/life/401k benefits, events, a wonderful location, casual dress, casual humor, all with a supportive team. If you do well, you will be rewarded. Great work environment!

Cons

There are still growing pains, although I see that as a benefit - a great opportunity to create legacy processes and procedures.

Advice to Management

Make sure every department is transparent to upper mgmt. in the way they handle their employees. My positive experience may not reflect what goes on in other departments. And remember that job security, respect, and potential advancement is sometimes a better motivator than cash.

"Best place I've ever worked"

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I read all 8 reviews before posting and thought I should set the record straight. I've learned that 1 star reviews you find on the internet are typically based on emotion rather than fact, and that seems to be the case here.

Limelight is the best company I've ever worked for, hands down. Their excellent benefits include: competitive salary, quality medical/dental/vision insurance, flexible hours, telework opportunities, and an onsite 24x7 self-serve deli (Tempe HQ office). Obviously every position is not eligible for flex hours and telework, but many are. Even at Limelight's other offices where there is no deli, the company stocks snacks and drinks. And you are free to go offsite for lunch despite what one reviewer stated.

All supervisors and management I've ever worked under have been open and friendly. I have advanced twice since starting at the company 5 years ago. Senior management is very forward-thinking and engaged. They provide regular updates to the entire company, and are very transparent internally compared to most organizations. No, they haven't turned the company into Apple or Google yet, but the company is continually improving and gaining industry recognition.

Limelight is a small group of hard-working professionals who have built a leading digital services provider. The company is steadily moving forward and in less than 10 years has become a leader in the industry. Our customers love us and reward us with new business all the time. We're more of a partner to them than a vendor. Anyone in the know is already aware of this. If this sounds like your kind of place, I welcome you to join us. You will be challenged and rewarded.

Cons

Limelight is a truly unique company. There really are no other companies out there that do exactly what we do, the way we do it. There are a couple that come close, but not quite. This is a huge bonus in our industry. However, the cost of being on the bleeding-edge of this new business concept is the unpredictability and frequent change and adaptation required.

Right now, the company is constantly growing and changing, and with that comes frequent re-organization and new process implementation and refinement. This can be frustrating, but if you are willing to be flexible and to take charge where you see an opportunity, you will be successful. Sometimes problems (read: opportunities) come up and you just have to own it and take care of it yourself. If you have a "That's not my job" mentality, you won't last long here. We are a tight-knit group of professionals who are not afraid to get our hands dirty and are always willing to help each other out to get the job done.

I've been here for over 5 years and am used to regular change, but I suppose many people can be frustrated by this, particularly if they are from a large, well-established organization. Limelight is still very "lean"; employees are numbered in the hundreds, not thousands. If you expect everything to be perfectly ordered and predictable, good luck in the tech world. Go work at a telco, bank, or insurance company.

Advice to Management

Work on developing and implementing a concrete, effective internal organizational plan with clear responsibilities and processes, one with that will work now and into the future. This will provide a more welcoming environment for employees who are not

"Great place to work, excellent opportunity and smart people"

Current Employee - Director, Product Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director, Product Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Limelight balances the best of both worlds. My background is primarily in young startups - with all that it entails - commitment to changing a market, bringing new products to market, ability to be flexible to changing market dynamics and customer requests. And even though Limelight is a public company, it encompasses all of that. But it's balanced by the fact that it's a small public company with almost 2K customers around the globe, where you don't wonder on a weekly basis if your Series A money is going to run out.

The career opportunity within the company is your's to make - if you are a top performer, opportunities, new and interesting projects get thrown your way. No one has ever said no to me when I have wanted to be involved in something. Add to it that the fact that I work with some of the smartest people in the industry, and it's a great place to work.

Cons

Both the company and the market is at a pivot point of change and with that requires some very intense periods of work. While I work late hours, sometimes on weekends, and am always "on", the flip side is that no one has ever though twice if I have to leave earlier for a PTA meeting or a little league game. The executive managers that I have worked with have consistently been good at supporting a work/life balance.

Advice to Management

The regular company meetings are nice - but would be great to do have more informal get togethers with executive management so there can be more dialogue that is hard to do on via WebEx.

"Best place to work... anywhere!"

Current Employee - Sales Operations in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Operations in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I am so lucky to be working at Limelight. My spouse, family, and friends are all jealous, and when I hear about their jobs, I can't blame them! They care about and take care of their employees. Tons of perks, from a free deli and several fully stocked break areas, to free healthcare, to the very relaxed work environment. They value employee contributions and seek their input in decision making. They find your talents and your strengths and let you utilize them. If you’re not in the perfect position, that’s ok, you can get there while you’re working at Limelight. Seriously, the best job I've ever had.

Cons

I wish there was a more consistent experience across the company. I realize it’s impossible to have nothing but perfect managers across the company, but given some of the negative reviews and comments, it shows that there’s some inconsistency.

Advice to Management

Find a way to repeat what we’re doing well across the entire organization. Everyone should have the opportunity to love their job as much as I do, and I think that has a lot to do with direct managers.

"Great environment to be creative and grow your skill-set!"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are many technologies in place so there are always opportunities to learn new things. The management staff is encouraging and always willing to listen to suggestions for improvement. The environment is casual and very conducive to creativity. Even though the company is always growing it still has a small company feel with great teamwork visible everywhere.

Cons

It is a smaller company so opportunities for promotions occur less frequently than at some larger companies. Management seems to have the "it's not what you know but who you know" attitude towards some purchases and hiring decisions.

Advice to Management

Encourage more interaction between groups surrounding evaluation, purchasing and implementation of software / solutions, possibly create a steering committee. Sometimes purchasing decisions are made in a silo so things are put into production without feedback from other groups that are affected.

"Collectively the smartest set of people that I've worked with"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Limelight team in Seattle is fast-paced and is really good at getting things done.

Cons

Too much process sometimes causing a delay in delivering products.