Limelight Networks 197 Reviews | Glassdoor

Limelight Networks Reviews

Updated January 26, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great industry, relaxed work environment, with continuously improving processes and products (in 23 reviews)

• If you work in the Tempe, AZ office there is free food in the cafeteria (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management really doesn't understand how important security is, or they would rather not think about it (in 13 reviews)

• There is no career advancement at the company (in 5 reviews)

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance. Good work environment, relaxed dress code, open deli, good benefits, and decent pay. Somewhat Low turnover in sales department; better than it used to be. 100% match to 3%, and 50% match on 401k match up to 5%.

Cons

There's a bit of a good 'ol boys network mentality with lower management favoring certain employees, and the last sales management hire is a head scratcher--didn't hire from within like they should have. Not much opportunity to climb the ladder. Would have to go elsewhere to make more money.

Advice to Management

I'm not exactly sure why there are so many VP's, or why they're needed. Cut a few VP's and give your Sales staff a bump in pay--your sales staff is bringing in money, not costing you money.

Limelight Networks Response

Aug 27, 2015 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for your response. We believe that work/life balance is an important part of our value proposition, which is why we implemented the flexible PTO policy for exempt employees. You mentioned ... More

2. "Marketing"

Former Employee - Digital Marketing in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Digital Marketing in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very fun place to work! Awesome perks: 24/7 free cafeteria, good pay, work from home anytime, great two-week training program for ALL new hires (US and overseas included), new hardware and software custom ordered for your needs upon hire, lots of travel for most roles - some international, nap rooms, wii setups, ping pong, cool onsite NOC, lots of meeting rooms, great view of downtown Tempe and adjacent access to Light Rail.

Cons

Very long work days and work weeks. Lots of turnover at all levels while I was there.

Advice to Management

Most of my managers were great - I had five different ones during my tenure. I just wish more of them had stayed with the company longer (some left on their own accord, others were let go due to re-org).

"Fairly positive outlook"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I think the company is getting its act together. The focus is on improving efficiency and reliability and it's showing in the uptick in customer activity. 401k has a decent match with IMMEDIATE vesting, which is huge. The much-mentioned deli is a nice perk: free food and drink and you don't have to face Arizona summers.

Cons

We seem to be very top-heavy (director and above) for the number of employees we have. five C-level (which seems reasonable), twenty-three VPs and a gobsmacking SIXTY-THREE directors, for a company with less than six hundred employees, and yes there are managers , too, which I did NOT count. Meanwhile there seems to never be enough engineers to do things, as teams responsible for new products routinely get co-opted for other unrelated things.

Advice to Management

In general I'm thinking you're taking the company in the right direction, but take a good look at just how much all these levels you've built between the tactical and strategic levels are costing you in terms of money, feedback, and agility. Some of them are really good and worth it, but others seem to be mostly lurking around for things to clamp onto to get credit for.

This isn't really management advice, but because of this top-heavy structure, it is difficult to get recognized for excellent work in the trenches, so if you want to get a raise and/or a promotion, just waiting for it to come won't likely work. If you're not manager level or above, you'll need to make a case with your manager, and use facts. Do your homework.

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Director in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Director in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Limelight Networks (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great vision, Great combination of solutions.

Cons

Repeatedly lost first mover advantage with each newly acquired technology.

Advice to Management

Listen to your clients and field sales and sales engineers.

"Potential & people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time

Pros

The people and their passion to be winners with a good, differentiated technology story

Cons

Lack of vision and how to evaluate leadership. Previous senior management was inept or irresponsible in understanding the chemistry of leadership from senior down to mid-level management. Most VPs were incompetent and got their position by knowing someone not something of value. Most of since left w/a few holdovers, some of which are still hanging on w/o value, but it is what it is.

Advice to Management

Past management: They took the money and ran.
    Current management: stay the course, be innovative to create more value, keep listening to customers and partner with them.

"Your milage may vary"

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time

Pros

Great People
    Flexible PTO
    Exciting Tech
    Lots of upside potential

Cons

Some history of top level executive ADD
    They still struggle supporting remote employees
    Communication can be spotty
    Too many systems, making changes and accessing information can be really tough particularly if you are getting started. You must be self motivated

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on expanding the network and service offerings around key services. Some groups run great, others not so much. Make sure you are recognizing the people that dederve it.

8. "Great environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Pros

Flexible Schedule
    Cafe
    Great working environment
    Life/Work balance
    Competitive pay
    Decent medical coverage
    Paid holidays
    Vacation pay
    Relaxed fun environment

Cons

Higher medical deductible, but that is with most medical coverage's any more.

Advice to Management

Keep growing internal employees to maintain long term good employees. Incentives like the cafe are fantastic. Keep those up to maintain happy employees.

9. "Account Executive"

Pros

Cutting edge technology in the ever growing content distribution/management space.

Cons

Communication with Management. Free for all territory.

Advice to Management

Promote from within and better incentives

"Chaotic, insane hours"

Former Employee - Marketing/Writing in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing/Writing in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Well, the fields Limelight operates in are very pertinent in today's technology arena and economy. Cloud, video, content delivery. Some really smart people work there. Growing global presence. Potential to be a good company. Top echelon of mgmt has pretty good heart--but needs to let people have their weekends and evenings work-free.

Cons

I had too many bosses over my time there. No formal product training existed--everything was in people's heads or in old internal wiki notes. A lot of churn. It seemed that people either worked there a really long time or not much time at all...some of the developers really need to grow up--they hold the company back.

Advice to Management

Integrate people better--and include remote employees in more in-person meetings so they can do their jobs better. Be more aware of back-stabbing with your directs--some of them are real "players" more than good teammates.

"Cool company that is moving in the right direction!"

Current Employee - Business Development Executive in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Business Development Executive in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunch everyday, good base pay, laid back work environment, good 401k options, employee stock plan with discounts, nice career growth opportunities

Cons

Sometimes lack of features with certain product will potentially lose business deals.

Advice to Management

Keep moving in the right direction!