Limelight Networks Reviews | Glassdoor

Limelight Networks Reviews

Updated June 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free food - legit deli style sandwiches, soups, sodas, and much more (in 23 reviews)

• Great industry, relaxed work environment, with continuously improving processes and products (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management really doesn't understand how important security is, or they would rather not think about it (in 13 reviews)

• Salary is good, but some larger companies with similar roles can afford to do better by between 20-30% typically (in 4 reviews)

"Business Dev"

Former Employee - Business Development Executive in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Business Development Executive in Tempe, AZ

Pros

Great Kitchen and great parking to enjoy downtown: The Technical Team is Awesome. Some of the smartest people in the industry are in those ranks.

Cons

I heard it and did not believe it until after three years it reared it's ugly head: There is a Good-Ole' Boys Club there and that's a fact.

Advice to Management

Don't promote people just because you know and trust them - they must have the necessary skill to lead as well. Groom them and send them to a good management school. Much of the management is simply people who have put in time and are liked by senior management.

2. "I pity the fools"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Limelight Networks (Less than a year)

Pros

Laid back work environment
    work life balance
    benefits

Cons

Poor technology
    Weak management
    Weak marketing
    High turn over
    Bad reputation in the CDN market for performance and service
    Dropping revenues and rising costs
    competition offers a superior solution

Advice to Management

Sell the company. If the technology is so great how come no one has purchased the company when it has a market cap of less than 150M (including the money in the bank) ?

"Web Developer"

Former Employee - Web Developer in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There's free food in the kitchen. They also have a great location.

Cons

They put an extreme amount of pressure on you to perform. Management doesn't communicate well with employees. Many of the employees are conceited.

Advice to Management

Don't ask someone to pick out three content management systems (CMS), out of all the the various CMS in the industry, who has limited experience with only one CMS and who received only one day's training about Limelight's network.

"Dishonest to the core"

Current Employee - Senior Business Development Manager/Commissioner in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful commission structure and great support team. The office was nice and always well maintained.

Cons

MANAGEMENT!!! The management and HR was the worst I have ever encountered. I would not suggest this company to anyone. The rip off employees and customers too.

Advice to Management

The only advice to management is to quit and hopefully someone honest can take your place and recover from the damage you have caused.

"Looking for stability.... keep looking"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits. Coworkers are the reason I have stuck around. Without living in the past, there were many better days without the build up of silos and one half of the company pulling against the other.

Cons

Upper management has no concrete direction. They have plans yes. But at every turn there is a fight and a peeing match to see who has more power. Some customer complains about the littlest thing and policies need to be changed and upended. Apparently the CEO doesn't like to look at toes. No Sandals.

Advice to Management

Have a direction and build towards that. Quit making one-off solutions, thinking they are going to be the next market product. Invest in what you have now in both infrastructure and people. You will lose the loyalist employee if you keep dodging their needs and rewarding their successes.

"technical writer"

Pros

they offer good compensation and benefits.

Cons

but alsoLong hours and high stress

"So close"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Limelight has many ways for a talented employee to grow, with internal advancement a common theme for the best contributors. They have long been an important part of the CDN ecosystem. However...

Cons

Multiple poor to bad acquisitions and an all over the place focus of the company have hurt the brand and the company moral.

Advice to Management

The current executive staff has done a better job recently trying to focus on the key areas of their business and may in time be able to regain a spot among the top CDN's in the business if they keep that focus

Limelight Networks Response

Aug 31, 2015 – Recruitment Manager

We value our talent at Limelight and continue to look for ways to offer opportunities for promotion and growth, to train and develop our employees and encourage them to set goals for their own career... More

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance. Good work environment, relaxed dress code, open deli, good benefits, and decent pay. Somewhat Low turnover in sales department; better than it used to be. 100% match to 3%, and 50% match on 401k match up to 5%.

Cons

There's a bit of a good 'ol boys network mentality with lower management favoring certain employees, and the last sales management hire is a head scratcher--didn't hire from within like they should have. Not much opportunity to climb the ladder. Would have to go elsewhere to make more money.

Advice to Management

I'm not exactly sure why there are so many VP's, or why they're needed. Cut a few VP's and give your Sales staff a bump in pay--your sales staff is bringing in money, not costing you money.

Limelight Networks Response

Aug 27, 2015 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for your response. We believe that work/life balance is an important part of our value proposition, which is why we implemented the flexible PTO policy for exempt employees. You mentioned... More

"Marketing"

Former Employee - Digital Marketing in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Digital Marketing in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very fun place to work! Awesome perks: 24/7 free cafeteria, good pay, work from home anytime, great two-week training program for ALL new hires (US and overseas included), new hardware and software custom ordered for your needs upon hire, lots of travel for most roles - some international, nap rooms, wii setups, ping pong, cool onsite NOC, lots of meeting rooms, great view of downtown Tempe and adjacent access to Light Rail.

Cons

Very long work days and work weeks. Lots of turnover at all levels while I was there.

Advice to Management

Most of my managers were great - I had five different ones during my tenure. I just wish more of them had stayed with the company longer (some left on their own accord, others were let go due to re-org).

"Fairly positive outlook"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I think the company is getting its act together. The focus is on improving efficiency and reliability and it's showing in the uptick in customer activity. 401k has a decent match with IMMEDIATE vesting, which is huge. The much-mentioned deli is a nice perk: free food and drink and you don't have to face Arizona summers.

Cons

We seem to be very top-heavy (director and above) for the number of employees we have. five C-level (which seems reasonable), twenty-three VPs and a gobsmacking SIXTY-THREE directors, for a company with less than six hundred employees, and yes there are managers , too, which I did NOT count. Meanwhile there seems to never be enough engineers to do things, as teams responsible for new products routinely get co-opted for other unrelated things.

Advice to Management

In general I'm thinking you're taking the company in the right direction, but take a good look at just how much all these levels you've built between the tactical and strategic levels are costing you in terms of money, feedback, and agility. Some of them are really good and worth it, but others seem to be mostly lurking around for things to clamp onto to get credit for.

This isn't really management advice, but because of this top-heavy structure, it is difficult to get recognized for excellent work in the trenches, so if you want to get a raise and/or a promotion, just waiting for it to come won't likely work. If you're not manager level or above, you'll need to make a case with your manager, and use facts. Do your homework.