Lincoln Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Reynold Levy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free tickets, access to great artists (in 5 reviews)

• Awesome manager and co-workers and great work life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • You will not see and should not expect to see minorities in Middle and Senior Management (in 4 reviews)

• But everyone also loves the performing arts, so it's not so bad (in 4 reviews)

1. "The Opportunity of a Lifetime"

I worked at Lincoln Center full-time

Pros

Work for one of the premiere performing arts centers in the world. Wonderful coworkers and culture around every corner.

Cons

Many people have worked there for decades so moving forward into the 21st century is slow but gaining momentum

Advice to Management

Be patient, and ready to listen.

"Good Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Lincoln Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of autonomy on projects. Supportive environment. Everyone cares about the arts. Requests fulfilled surprisingly fast (e.g. new chair). Spontaneous free tickets. Dining alongside Juilliard and opera singers at the two different exclusive cafes.

Cons

Some don't care about technology unfortunately

Advice to Management

If you care about the long-term survival of Lincoln Center, start caring about technology and new audiences

"High Stress, Low Pay; No True Rewards"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Lincoln Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I first started at LCPA, I was on a great team that was communicative and helpful. When I first started that seemed to be the corporate environment, and it is true for about 30% of the company.

Cons

When the leader of the team changed, things went from good to terrible at a pretty quick rate. My job duties grew and grew, and I was not given a title change or salary change that reflected the work I was doing. There is really no one in the company you can trust to talk about dissatisfaction with. Once you voice your concerns about things like changes in duties without compensation, extremely late annual reviews, etc., you are on the chopping block. Also, if you are over time eligible like I was, and you are required to work a lot of overtime, like I was, you will be asked to not file your overtime hours. I filed them anyway because I felt it was unfair to expect me to work 12-16 hour days without compensation. That was used against me by the head of my department. Also, there is very little moving up in the company. They hire from outside when a vacancy above you opens us, so never expect that you'll actually be allowed to grow in the company.

Advice to Management

Offer cross training that will allow for lateral moves and/or moves up the ladder.
    Stop hiring people with little to no experience in a field to be the leader of a department.
    Actually provide a HR team where employees can safely talk about issues and not have their superiors use those conversations against them in a punitive way.

"Working at LC"

Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I worked at Lincoln Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Prestigious organization and great networking opportunities. Employees are friendly and nice. Office is well kept and personal workspaces are roomy, comfortable, and well lit. Very pleasing aesthetically.

Cons

Low compensation and nominal raises. You will not see and should not expect to see minorities in Middle and Senior Management. They only occupy the Security, Clerical, and Service Level Managerial positions. If you have a professional degree and are a person of color you should know and accept going in that the position you are hired for may be the one you will be in until you leave the company.

Advice to Management

If you seek to retain the talented and dedicated people of color you invest your time in hiring and training, you should include them in the promotion pool and consider them when professional growth opportunities arise.

"High Tension"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Lincoln Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Close to subways & buslines

Cons

Things changed for the worse about 3 years ago when uppermost-management changed. They began outsourcing, eliminating entire departments which were felt as the backbone and heart of the company. Ever since then, including the ensuing scandals, and additional switching of uppermost-management, it is colder than ice on the 9th floor. Gloomy is an understatement. There is no human element, and there is an overall pervasive feeling that nobody cares, and there is really no support system.

Advice to Management

You took the HR out of heart. Everyone is dissatisfied. It's bleak.

"Tides are changing for the better"

I have been working at Lincoln Center full-time

Pros

Friendly athmosphere
    Very inclusive
    Opportunities to work on projects outside of your job description

Cons

Depending on the department, lower than average pay

Advice to Management

Please continue to hire people who not only understand Lincoln Center's culture, but the office culture as well. Sharing office space with kind, like-minded people makes for a much enjoyable workday.

7. "Nice Professional Enviroment"

I have been working at Lincoln Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome manager and co-workers and great work life balance

Cons

Does not seem like much room for growth

Advice to Management

Provide some additional training for employees that are interested

8. "Intern life"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY

Pros

NYFF & free access to movies.
    The only way to be apart of an event if you help out.
    They are family orientated

Cons

No growth whatsoever. Complete Borden after awhile.
    Same thing different day.
    Focus more on your interns.
    No communication at all

9. "Intern"

Pros

Well utilized, realistic responsibilities, great learning opportunity

Cons

Hiring opportunities are hard to find within the company

10. "Intern Experience"

Pros

Hardworking, intelligent, and diverse group of people. Everyone has a really interesting story and interest in the arts. No matter what your job, you always have that tangent to the performing arts world, so desk work seems less dull. Good spirit around the office. You never run out of work to do.

Cons

Everyone is really busy, it seem like they're understaffed. People seem stressed a lot. But everyone also loves the performing arts, so it's not so bad. Sometimes I would end up doing a lot of office work that felt repetitive. But it was necessary and I liked that I was making a difference.