Lincoln Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Russell Granet
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "You will not see and should not expect to see minorities in Middle and Senior Management" (in 5 reviews)

• "In the Development department there are ever-changing fundraising goals- once you meet your goal, suddenly it gets raised again" (in 3 reviews)

1. "The Opportunity of a Lifetime"

I worked at Lincoln Center full-time

Pros

Work for one of the premiere performing arts centers in the world. Wonderful coworkers and culture around every corner.

Cons

Many people have worked there for decades so moving forward into the 21st century is slow but gaining momentum

Advice to Management

Be patient, and ready to listen.

2. "Lincoln Center - not what you think"

Former Employee - Vice President Or Events in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President Or Events in New York, NY

I worked at Lincoln Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is an extremely prestigious organization and you will be able to take in many amazing shows and evets.

Cons

It is an extremely fragmented organization - and the paperwork and bureaucracy is staggering. If you are used to getting things done in an expeditious way, brace yourself.

Advice to Management

Look at how to streamline your procedures. Look at providing on-boarding help for new employees.

"Very rewarding experience"

I worked at Lincoln Center full-time

Pros

passionate colleagues
    nice office environment
    work is intense & rewarding, a lot to learn
    treat interns nicely - activities, lectures, overtime rate

Cons

a few self-important people in management
    LCPA is dominated by privileged white people. they are making progress in terms of female representation. but they need to do a better job in hiring POC.

Advice to Management

Give POC more chances in senior management positions

4. "regret working there"

I worked at Lincoln Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hardworking lower- to middle-management teams. Excellent education programs and leadership.

Cons

Horrible senior management. Screaming in the halls. Backstabbing. Unprofessional behavior all around. No help from HR. Antiquated systems.

"Review"

I have been working at Lincoln Center full-time

Pros

Opportunities to view performances, room to grow

Cons

Pretty corporate feeling, not very diverse, very traditional an not interested in change.

"Hopefully changing for the better"

I worked at Lincoln Center full-time

Pros

If you are interested in a career in the performing arts, Lincoln Center's legacy and reputation make it a good place to cut your teeth. Hopefully new leadership will lead the organization into the 21st century with grace.

Cons

There is little to no investment in human capital, developing young talent, or supporting diversity in leadership. While the Board of Directors is committed and philanthropic, it is also prone to micro-management and frequently steers senior staff off-course. The environment is political, hierarchical, and overly concerned with preserving the status quo.

"Dysfunction"

I worked at Lincoln Center full-time

Pros

Great sense of pride in presenting the arts at such a lovely venue. There are some very talented people who work there.

Cons

Leadership there is disillusioned by Lincoln Center's place in the world and as a result, they are extremely antiquated in their thinking. It's a real shame because there is a fair number of people with a real understanding of how the world is evolving who are at and have been through the company. But leadership pays no mind because they placate the board and donors before focusing on making LC relevant. The fundraising culture casts a pall across the entire organization.

Advice to Management

Change up everything and do not be precious about the past.

"Good Experience"

I worked at Lincoln Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of autonomy on projects. Supportive environment. Everyone cares about the arts. Requests fulfilled surprisingly fast (e.g. new chair). Spontaneous free tickets. Dining alongside Juilliard and opera singers at the two different exclusive cafes.

Cons

Some don't care about technology unfortunately

Advice to Management

If you care about the long-term survival of Lincoln Center, start caring about technology and new audiences

"High Stress, Low Pay; No True Rewards"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Lincoln Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I first started at LCPA, I was on a great team that was communicative and helpful. When I first started that seemed to be the corporate environment, and it is true for about 30% of the company.

Cons

When the leader of the team changed, things went from good to terrible at a pretty quick rate. My job duties grew and grew, and I was not given a title change or salary change that reflected the work I was doing. There is really no one in the company you can trust to talk about dissatisfaction with. Once you voice your concerns about things like changes in duties without compensation, extremely late annual reviews, etc., you are on the chopping block. Also, if you are over time eligible like I was, and you are required to work a lot of overtime, like I was, you will be asked to not file your overtime hours. I filed them anyway because I felt it was unfair to expect me to work 12-16 hour days without compensation. That was used against me by the head of my department. Also, there is very little moving up in the company. They hire from outside when a vacancy above you opens us, so never expect that you'll actually be allowed to grow in the company.

Advice to Management

Offer cross training that will allow for lateral moves and/or moves up the ladder.
    Stop hiring people with little to no experience in a field to be the leader of a department.
    Actually provide a HR team where employees can safely talk about issues and not have their superiors use those conversations against them in a punitive way.

"Working at LC"

Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I worked at Lincoln Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Prestigious organization and great networking opportunities. Employees are friendly and nice. Office is well kept and personal workspaces are roomy, comfortable, and well lit. Very pleasing aesthetically.

Cons

Low compensation and nominal raises. You will not see and should not expect to see minorities in Middle and Senior Management. They only occupy the Security, Clerical, and Service Level Managerial positions. If you have a professional degree and are a person of color you should know and accept going in that the position you are hired for may be the one you will be in until you leave the company.

Advice to Management

If you seek to retain the talented and dedicated people of color you invest your time in hiring and training, you should include them in the promotion pool and consider them when professional growth opportunities arise.