Lincoln Electric Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Lincoln Electric President and CEO Christopher L. Mapes
Christopher L. Mapes

Pros
  • The unique profit sharing bonus is highly motivating to all employees (in 6 reviews)

• The engineering trainee program is good because you can learn a lot in different areas of the company (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation/Bonus - If you are fortunate to have health insurance from a spouse or other source, you will feel like you actually received a bonus (in 11 reviews)

• This is supposed to be taken care of by the bonus system (in 9 reviews)

1. "Realistic hardworking employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Lincoln Electric full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable company. Not many people can say they would for a company who have been around and are thriving for over over 120 years. The people are freaking amazing. When you can walk through the hall and get a hello from everyone..we have a lot of fun, we work hard. Opportunities. If you have courage and work hard, speak up and you will receive opportunities. Nothing with having will ever be handed to you.

Cons

Departments can run very lean. Set up some measurements around when it's time to add a new team member. Benefits are expensive

Advice to Management

Be more realistic in hiring needs, look at talent management closer.

"I Voted With My Feet!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Euclid, OH

I worked at Lincoln Electric full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved my co-workers. The relationships I built with those I worked with will be valued throughout my life. The employees at Lincoln Electric are some of hardest working people I have ever worked with.

Cons

Leadership does not seem to realize that the "old Lincoln" way is not attractive to today's workforce. Some of the major cons are listed below:

Compensation/Bonus - If you are fortunate to have health insurance from a spouse or other source, you will feel like you actually received a bonus. If not, the benefits premium deduction from your "bonus" check will leave you feeling disappointed. Even with the bonus your compensation may not be comparable to the market.

Performance Development System - This is by no means a real performance Management system. It's all about assigning a numeric rating to employees based on the opinions of others...some who may not even know what you actually do. The calibration meetings are a joke and if your manager does not have the backbone to fight for you, you can expect a rating that does not truly reflect your actual performance.

Work-Life Balance/Flexibility - In some pockets of the company there is flexibility, but as a whole Lincoln Electric is very rigid. It's sad when you sit in a meeting and listen to a top executive say he would like to have salaried employees clock in and out via a timeclock or that he stands in his office window to see when salaried employees come to work. These are the very employees that work 50+ hours per week, including late nights and weekends. Sad!

Employee Development - In general, it is basically non-existent. There seems to be a focus on certain levels of the organization, but for the average employee there are no formal development programs (outside of the college recruiting programs).

Advice to Management

Lincoln Electric could be a great place to work, but you first have to treat employees like human beings! This is a candidates' market and people have options. Because of this and the other "cons", no one should be surprised by the number of employees, both short and long-term, who are leaving the company. When you talk about employees in a disrespectful manner and say they can "vote with their feet" if they don't like the changes being made, well...you got what you asked for!!!

Get engaged with your workforce! Also, learn and understand what today's candidates are looking for in a potential employer and make changes where possible.

"Mediocre at best!"

Former Employee - Tool and Die Maker in Euclid, OH
    Former Employee - Tool and Die Maker in Euclid, OH

I worked at Lincoln Electric full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company does provide the opportunity to earn a livable wage for the most part, but the rate of pay is very inconsistent. This makes it extremely difficult for an employee to budget for their household expenses. I have personally experienced a reduction of pay of over $40,000 in one year due to a slow economy, lack of hours, and a poor bonus payout. The year this occurred I actually qualified for government assistance because my earnings were so low. But it can be argued that I was not laid off during these cyclical downturns in the economy. Looking back, I would have rather accepted a layoff from the company than hold on to the false hope that things would get better. If I would have been laid off, it would have forced me to pursue a job/career in a more stable field when I was younger.

Cons

The biggest "con" I experienced working at LE was the pay structure for the hourly/production workers. Whenever there was a downturn in the economy, the company would quickly react by reducing hours and even freezing the 401k match benefit. It always felt like the "rug was being pulled out from under you". And to add insult to injury, hourly/production workers would have their pay reduced by 20% (working only 4 of 5 days a week) while salaried employees would experience a smaller reduction if any at all. Also, the company didn't provide any sick pay or paid holidays. The year end bonus was supposed to help provide compensation for the lack of sick/holiday pay for its employees, but the problem with this is that the health insurance deduction from the bonus greatly reduced the net take home bonus pay (some employees brought home $0.00 after insurance costs were deducted). There are more cons to working here but my time is limited. I will say that I have read the other reviews submitted and that I can definitely corroborate that they are for the most part factual and truthfully depict the negative aspects of working here.

Advice to Management

Please try to work on a pay structure that favors stability for employees instead of reinforcing the "feast or famine" approach to pay that has permeated the culture since I have started. Maybe the base pay could be bumped up somewhat and the bonus could become just that.... a "bonus", not retroactive pay or a tool used by the leadership of the company to spread the burden of a "down economy" or "soft sales" onto the shoulders of the employees that can least afford this volatility in their pay.

"Great People, Lackluster Compensation"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Euclid, OH

I worked at Lincoln Electric full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of great people work at Lincoln. I made many friends and have kept in contact with many of my coworkers.

Cons

The base salary is less than average. This is supposed to be taken care of by the bonus system. However, this sounds better than it actually is in reality.

Advice to Management

Change pay structure for those with higher education. Bonus system works great for jobs where there is a quantifiable outcome. This system becomes difficult and biased for those who are not making a part everyday.

"Lincoln is not what it used to be!"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Lincoln Electric full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People are nice and friendly. Company has been around for 125 years and is stable. No layoffs. Company is expanding.

Cons

Bonus system is actually deffered salary. Bonus meant to be BONUS. It is very fast paced environment. Some managers are not deserving their jobs.

Advice to Management

Shareholders are not the most important people in company. You need to reduxe medical insurance and start giving anual raises to employees before all good people leave the company.

"No incentive to work here"

Current Employee - Tool and Die Maker in Euclid, OH
    Current Employee - Tool and Die Maker in Euclid, OH

I have been working at Lincoln Electric full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Year end bonus as long as you don't have their family medical plan. If you do then that's where your bonus is going.

Cons

Upper management out of touch with the shop floor. Skilled tradesmen are leaving the company by the week and cannot be replaced.

Advice to Management

Listen to your shop employees and middle management and make the necessary changes before it's too late.

"Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Euclid, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Euclid, OH

I have been working at Lincoln Electric full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to move within the organization. This allows you to change roles while maintaining a single place of work.

Cons

Bonus is highly dependent on individual performance reviews, which can be biased. All groups are forced to have very high and very low performers, with almost nobody considered "average," even though in a population, average should be common.

Management is supportive of women, but many floor and lower-level employees are disrespectful of women. Name calling, being "checked out," being hit on, and very direct comments that women are inferior or unable to do certain roles are common.

9. "Project Manager"

I have been working at Lincoln Electric full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Guaranteed Employment, Great Opportunity for advancement

Cons

Always a lot of work, tend to run very lean.

"Horrible place to work anymore"

Current Employee - Engineering in Euclid, OH
    Current Employee - Engineering in Euclid, OH

I have been working at Lincoln Electric full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I cannot think of anything good about working. The product line is dying because of putting out crappie products

Cons

The culture is toxic. Just a network of good old boys. Don't respect woman at all.
    No opportunity to advance.
    Bullied everyday.
    Pay is low and hope that Bonus makes it livable.
    Bonus is just deferred compensation that is held as a threat.
    Most of bonus is consumed by health insurance, which I have to pay 100%.
    There are no sick days and they often just stop 401k matching.
    Reduce hours and pay and the best promote their friends
    Horrible place since Strokpi retired

Advice to Management

Revamp the pay. But then you will just take more pay away.

"Engineering"

Current Employee - Research and Development Engineer in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Research and Development Engineer in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Lincoln Electric full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoy working with my fellow employees.

Cons

"Old school", conservative, not very flexible.