Lincoln Reviews | Glassdoor

Lincoln President & CEO Christine Stoner-Mertz
Christine Stoner-Mertz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"One of the most influential places in my career; I would not have been successful in my graduate program without them."

Former Employee - Intake Coordinator in Pittsburg, CA
    Former Employee - Intake Coordinator in Pittsburg, CA

I worked at Lincoln full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Supportive, flexible, and strength based. I always felt like I could talk to someone, and I would be supported immediately. This work is very hard and can be taxing, causing burn out, but supervisors and coworkers were always there for me.

Cons

Pay. Although I did receive raises over the years, starting as a milieu staff in residential, to a Master’s level Social Worker, my ending pay did not reflect my degree or experience. I understand this is a non profit; this was the only reason I had to leave.

Advice to Management

Find ways to pay workers more, to stay longer. I would not have minded retiring from Lincoln if I did not need to survive in the Bay Area.

"Super Flexible NonProfit"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Lincoln full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

SUPER. FLEXIBLE. It's a nonprofit salary but it allows me to spend time with my family and we were able to create a plan that works for them on compensation and me in terms of work like balance.

Cons

The work is tough and the nature of the work can lead to transition within teams. The management is working hard to address it so I see it as more an industry thing then a Lincoln thing.

Advice to Management

Invest in your systems. Once procedure and systems are a bit more fleshed out, Lincoln can really reach it's full amazing potential.

Lincoln Response

Jul 13, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for this great review and feedback. It is true that we cannot always compensate our staff as much as we would like to, but we work to find ways to support employees in their career... More

3. "HOPE clinician"

Former Employee - HOPE Clinician in Pittsburg, CA
    Former Employee - HOPE Clinician in Pittsburg, CA

I worked at Lincoln (More than a year)

Pros

Provide valuable services to high needs children.

Cons

Management and Supervisors are overworked and put incredible pressure on the clinicians-- vicarious trauma has infected the system of the agency (as in many mental health agencies) and you can feel it.

4. "A great place to get your hours"

I have been working at Lincoln full-time

Pros

Pros: Caring and connecting work environment
    Lots of support around getting hours
    Diversity training and emphasis

Cons

Cons: Lack of support around clinical growth
    Not great pay once you're licensed

Advice to Management

More clinical focus

5. "Extremely rewarding work"

Former Employee - Intervention Specialist in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Intervention Specialist in Oakland, CA

I worked at Lincoln full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed my time at Lincoln. Although the work can be emotionally and physically draining, it’s always been meaningful and satisfying to work with our kids and families.

There’s so much I could say about my supervisors, but to sum it up, they are amazing. I had two supervisors over the course of my time with Lincoln and both were extremely hardworking, passionate, and experienced (both have held multiple positions within the company and were knowledgeable of the different roles and perspectives from each). I really admire the management staff at Lincoln, as well as the staff. I’ve always felt confident that everyone I worked with cared deeply for our clients and would go out of their way to support them.

I would agree that the procedural/system guidelines aren’t always clear cut and consistent, but I see that as a positive. The flexibility allows employees to figure out what works best for them (part time vs. full time, hours, etc) and tailor their work to fit each client/school site’s needs. Every school site, client, and family is different and presents unique needs. Lincoln is great about providing its staff with independence and personal input in their work.

The pay could be better, but the benefits are above average for this industry.

Cons

Transitions can be difficult, especially after forming close relationships with clients, but it’s the nature of this work.

Most trainings were informative, but way too long. It would be nice if they weren’t mandatory or shortened to half day instead of full.

Little room for promotion in company or pay increases. To actually advance, you’d have to get an additional degree or just find a new job (which isn’t a bad thing but should be addressed for the sake of retention).

Advice to Management

I also was sad to hear that Lincoln eliminated its performance based raise policies. Although everyone works hard, I do think it’s good to reward and provide positive feedback for exceptional work. If you don’t do so, talented staff will eventually leave and pursue a position in which they are compensated and recognized for their work. We don’t work for the money, but knowing that we make the same amount as those who have a smaller caseload, have less obligations or personal investment etc, can eventually lead to contempt towards our coworkers or underperformance.

Weekly meetings were a little excessive and sometimes counterproductive. I think bi-weekly made more sense and encouraged staff to be more self sufficient.

But all in all, a great company to work for.

6. "I enjoyed working for Lincoln! Awesome place to grow and learn."

Former Employee - Behavior Intervention Specialist in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Behavior Intervention Specialist in Oakland, CA

I worked at Lincoln full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked as a behavior intervention specialist in the Lincoln EXCEL program that was located inside of Fremont High School, and I loved it! The program director/supervisor over the Excel program is amazing to say the least. He is a very inspiring person. He was knowledgeable, resourceful, friendly, and very relatable and engaging with staff and clients. He encouraged staff to be confident in their natural abilities and talents. He was always there to check in and offer support and guidance if we needed something, but I liked that he encouraged us to create our own plans that we thought would be beneficial in working with the kids on our caseload and to implement them. Working here helped me to strengthen my voice as a counselor, clinician, and an advocator amongst other members of a treatment team. The program director kindly pushed me to facilitate the multi-disciplinary treatment planning conferences that we held with the principal, sped department, teachers, and other faculty members within the public school system. He was very supportive of staff taking the lead and gaining more skills. Also, I loved working with the high school students in our program and seeing their changes and progress while participating in the program. It was fun coming up with programs and activities for the students. We really got a chance to be creative and our ideas were always encouraged and heard. Also, Lincoln offered great benefits and trainings. I would recommend this job to anyone who wants to gain more experience in the field.

Cons

Low salary is really the only con that comes to mind.

Advice to Management

Keep the program going!

7. "Commitment to the work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburg, CA

I have been working at Lincoln full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lincoln staff have a strong commitment to providing quality and necessary services to kids and families that are the most marginalized in our society. I appreciate Lincoln's commitment to cultural awareness and sensitivity in services and utilizing a cultural lens to engage in mental health supports. I also appreciate some of the extra perks for staff (flexibility, lots of training opportunities, supervision supports). The desire to increase agency diversity is also a strong pro that does not happen in many other mental health agencies.

Cons

Non-profit salaries, intensive work in the community

Advice to Management

Continue to find ways to increase salaries and potential perks for those engaged in the work.

8. "Okay if you are starting out"

I have been working at Lincoln full-time

Pros

good place to start. They take a chance on you. Room for advancement. Programs hard to work with but ok.

Cons

Programs not responsive to other departments. I am in QA and good luck working with some programs. Some people do not do their jobs and no one holds those people accountable. If there is a part of your job you dont like you dont do it and thats it doesnt work so well

Advice to Management

people have to do their jobs and not just the parts that they like. it doesnt work for QA

9. "Mental Health Therapist"

I have been working at Lincoln full-time

Pros

- The kids are wonderful
    - You have the opportunity to do amazing work and the flexibility to practice how you wish in the room.
    - You can find some really good therapist colleagues who are passionate and talented.
    - You and your coworkers will care about providing good service to your clients.
    - The CEO is actually trying to make effective changes. She's brought in good people to try and clean house. She tries to listen to people and DOES something with that information. I hope that she's able to do so!
    - Salary is slightly better than other places
    - They put on some good trainings

Cons

- Upper management is disconnected from what the day to day is for clinicians which leads to unrealistic expectations. Management will always listen to your issues and concerns but not follow through on changing anything or supporting you.
    - Management uses gaslighting techniques (though unintentionally I think) to try and convince staff that their productivity issues stem from you instead of external factors (like too many clients to fit into the day, lack of space, too many required meetings cutting into time to see clients/write notes, etc.)
    - Management is always anxious about billing and will displace that anxiety on you - be ready for weekly and daily emails even if you are making your billing.
    - Typically you will see clients all day, attend meetings most days after school and go home to write notes/do assessments and treatment plans for several hours. 10-12 hours are normal.
    - When you advocate for your reasonable needs, be prepared to be told to "remember the kids" or "consider your coworkers"
    - Get ready for a thousand meetings - staff meeting, team meeting, group supervision (even if you are licensed), mandatory therapy 101 training series your first year - all of which take at least two hours.
    - Incompetence is prompted. Good people leave before they become supervisors (with a few exceptions) or are denied supervisory positions.
    - Programs vary wildly in level of importance - if you are in a favorite program, your experience is a little bit better.
    - Don't take this job if you need flexibility - they will sell the position as having flexibility and it doesn't.
    - If you don't have a partner who can wfh or has a more flexible schedule/more money and children, you won't be able to stay in this job long.
    - You will be expected to come back to work as quickly as possible from illness even if you are not recovered, while getting lip service about self care.
    - Vacation and sick time is generous but you aren't really ever allowed to take it outside of a two week window so the number on the your pay stub doesn't matter.
    - The clinical directors are the final word on a lot of things and their priorities aren't supporting clinicians or the children/communities we serve.
    - Training is extensive for the first week and 80% of it is useless.
    - Clinical documentation standards aren't in line with standard /typical medi-cal billing - it's more detailed.
    - Turnover is through the roof.
    - In practice, the agency is often racist, sexist and ableist towards employees.
    - Nothing at this point has changed - despite HR's involvement.

Advice to Management

Actually read these things. Listen to staff. Make changes to support staff. Change agency norms.

10. "Committed to the work!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Lincoln full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Being part of making a difference in our communities
    -Flexibility is a key reason I stay at Lincoln. I'm able to adjust my schedule to work around family needs.
    -Benefits are great including employer contributions toward my dependents and retirement.
    -I applaud Lincoln's efforts in having real conversations about race (not only how it impacts the youth and families we serve, but also within our organization) and investing resources for diversity initiatives. You just don't find that in many workplaces!

Cons

The usual non-profit challenges like salary scale, some infrastructure and competing demands for resources.

Advice to Management

Continue working on systems and processes that will improve how programs and departments work together. Don't lose sight of the mission.