Lincoln Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Super Flexible NonProfit"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Lincoln full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

SUPER. FLEXIBLE. It's a nonprofit salary but it allows me to spend time with my family and we were able to create a plan that works for them on compensation and me in terms of work like balance.

Cons

The work is tough and the nature of the work can lead to transition within teams. The management is working hard to address it so I see it as more an industry thing then a Lincoln thing.

Advice to Management

Invest in your systems. Once procedure and systems are a bit more fleshed out, Lincoln can really reach it's full amazing potential.

Lincoln Response

Jul 13, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for this great review and feedback. It is true that we cannot always compensate our staff as much as we would like to, but we work to find ways to support employees in their career... More

2. "Committed to the work!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Lincoln full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Being part of making a difference in our communities
    -Flexibility is a key reason I stay at Lincoln. I'm able to adjust my schedule to work around family needs.
    -Benefits are great including employer contributions toward my dependents and retirement.
    -I applaud Lincoln's efforts in having real conversations about race (not only how it impacts the youth and families we serve, but also within our organization) and investing resources for diversity initiatives. You just don't find that in many workplaces!

Cons

The usual non-profit challenges like salary scale, some infrastructure and competing demands for resources.

Advice to Management

Continue working on systems and processes that will improve how programs and departments work together. Don't lose sight of the mission.

3. "Okay if you are starting out"

I have been working at Lincoln full-time

Pros

good place to start. They take a chance on you. Room for advancement. Programs hard to work with but ok.

Cons

Programs not responsive to other departments. I am in QA and good luck working with some programs. Some people do not do their jobs and no one holds those people accountable. If there is a part of your job you dont like you dont do it and thats it doesnt work so well

Advice to Management

people have to do their jobs and not just the parts that they like. it doesnt work for QA

4. "Mental Health Therapist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburg, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburg, CA

I have been working at Lincoln full-time

Pros

- The kids are wonderful
    - You have the opportunity to do amazing work and the flexibility to practice how you wish in the room.
    - You can find some really good therapist colleagues who are passionate and talented.
    - You and your coworkers will care about providing good service to your clients.
    - The CEO is actually trying to make effective changes. She's brought in good people to try and clean house. She tries to listen to people and DOES something with that information. I hope that she's able to do so!
    - Salary is slightly better than other places
    - They put on some good trainings

Cons

- Upper management is disconnected from what the day to day is for clinicians which leads to unrealistic expectations. Management will always listen to your issues and concerns but not follow through on changing anything or supporting you.
    - Management uses gaslighting techniques (though unintentionally I think) to try and convince staff that their productivity issues stem from you instead of external factors (like too many clients to fit into the day, lack of space, too many required meetings cutting into time to see clients/write notes, etc.)
    - Management is always anxious about billing and will displace that anxiety on you - be ready for weekly and daily emails even if you are making your billing.
    - Typically you will see clients all day, attend meetings most days after school and go home to write notes/do assessments and treatment plans for several hours. 10-12 hours are normal.
    - When you advocate for your reasonable needs, be prepared to be told to "remember the kids" or "consider your coworkers"
    - Get ready for a thousand meetings - staff meeting, team meeting, group supervision (even if you are licensed), mandatory therapy 101 training series your first year - all of which take at least two hours.
    - Incompetence is prompted. Good people leave before they become supervisors (with a few exceptions) or are denied supervisory positions.
    - Programs vary wildly in level of importance - if you are in a favorite program, your experience is a little bit better.
    - Don't take this job if you need flexibility - they will sell the position as having flexibility and it doesn't.
    - If you don't have a partner who can wfh or has a more flexible schedule/more money and children, you won't be able to stay in this job long.
    - You will be expected to come back to work as quickly as possible from illness even if you are not recovered, while getting lip service about self care.
    - Vacation and sick time is generous but you aren't really ever allowed to take it outside of a two week window so the number on the your pay stub doesn't matter.
    - The clinical directors are the final word on a lot of things and their priorities aren't supporting clinicians or the children/communities we serve.
    - Training is extensive for the first week and 80% of it is useless.
    - Clinical documentation standards aren't in line with standard /typical medi-cal billing - it's more detailed.
    - Turnover is through the roof.
    - In practice, the agency is often racist, sexist and ableist towards employees.
    - Nothing at this point has changed - despite HR's involvement.

Advice to Management

Actually read these things. Listen to staff. Make changes to support staff. Change agency norms.

"not applicable"

I worked at Lincoln full-time

Pros

Handful of great, personable staff to work with

Cons

Lincoln's senior management rarely listens to input from line staff, whether it be clinicians, line staff, or supervisors. Even when they receive feedback, there's no action taken to resolve the issues. Lincoln has a reputation of retaining incompetent employees, and instead of taking action, Lincoln somehow hand-holds and find ways to accommodate them, then offloading the work onto already burnt out employees. Lincoln also somehow finds ways to give more duties to staff, yet refuse to compensate or give them raises. There is no room for mobility within this agency.

Advice to Management

Lincoln is the only agency that I've heard of that does not give their employees annual raises.

Lincoln Response

Jul 18, 2017 – CEO

I am sorry that you did not have a good experience at Lincoln. We take seriously feedback that we receive through our online suggestion box, our annual employee surveys, and information shared by... More

6. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Program Supervisor in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Program Supervisor in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Lincoln full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lincoln is a great place to work and allows you to be yourself. Great for new graduate student and for students who want to continue with grad school.

Cons

Can't think of anything right now

Advice to Management

N/A

"Grants Manager"

Current Employee - Grants Manager in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Grants Manager in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Lincoln full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Passionate, dedicated program and support staff;
    Compassionate, integrious, values-based leadership;
    Amazing development department-can't stress how crucial their support is to the organization

It is truly a pleasure to come to work everyday.

Cons

Nothing organization-specific,rather challenges common to most agencies engaged in direct service provision.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Much appreciation and respect!

"Behavior Intervention Specialist"

I have been working at Lincoln full-time

Pros

-Direct supervisor is awesome, always helping me feel supported
    -Keeps you active, on your feet, rarely a boring day
    -Great opportunity to learn about trauma, mental illness, and behavioral health

Cons

-HR does not always seem to have the employees best interests at heart
    -Paperwork can become frustrating if you don't keep up with it
    -Frequent burn out
    -Salary a little low for workload/work intensity

Advice to Management

Don't leave your employees feelings unsupported, invalidated. Find more opportunities to reward/reinforce your employees to help prevent burn out.

9. "Amazing organization, amazing mission and amazing leadership!"

Former Employee - Chief Development Officer in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Chief Development Officer in Oakland, CA

I worked at Lincoln full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lincoln is led by a team of accomplished, skilled, empathetic and dedicated people. Under the leadership of their CEO, Christine Stoner-Mertz, they have served more clients, with high quality programming, than ever before.

Lincoln is a place that encourages it's employees to flourish and also practice self care. It serves a population that has very real challenges, and it does it with kindness and a, never ending, push for high quality and positive outcomes.

I would recommend Lincoln for anyone who cares about serving their community in a critical way and also wants to grow professionally.

Cons

Lincoln works with communities that have immediate needs and often that pressure can trickle into the culture of the organization. I would encourage Lincoln to keep focusing on making sure that they are continuing to put an emphasis on self care for it's employees.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Our community need critical, high quality, services like yours!

10. "Hard working, mission driven"

I worked at Lincoln part-time

Pros

Very dedicated staff, always striving to improve, a culture of improvement throughout the organization. I always had faith that the entire team was knowledgeable and dedicated to the mission and the staff

Cons

It's a large organization and communication across programs can be challenging to manage.