Lincoln Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2020

3.5
Lincoln President and CEO Allison Staulcup Becwar (no image)
Allison Staulcup Becwar
  1. "Great company, awesome coworkers, strong mission"

Current Employee - Clinician in Pittsburg, CA

I have been working at Lincoln full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lincoln has a great work culture and hires mostly great people. Lost of opportunities to grow as a clinician. Strong pay compared to competitors. Very flexible mangers and supervisors, in my experience.

Cons

Hard work (rewarding though!), and even with the high pay it never feels like enough given the nature of the work. A few managers/supervisors are problematic.

June 2, 2020President and CEO

I am glad to hear you’ve had a positive experience and I agree it’s wonderful to work with mission-driven people. Our work is intense and very rewarding! My hope is that you were able to have a direct conversation with those supervisors (or someone who could help) and your feedback was heard. We can only make changes when we know what the problems are. Thanks for affirming my leadership and, most importantly, all that you’re doing to support the youth and families we serve!!

2. COVID-19

"Mixed Feelings"

Former Employee - Clinician in Oakland, CA

I worked at Lincoln full-time for more than a year

Pros

Felt very supported in some ways (Medical, Dental, Vacation, PTO). During COVID-19, the agency was extremely supportive of staff. HR is very thoughtful and trustworthy if/when they are presented with an issue. The majority of staff are very well-spoken, educated, strive for excellence, and care about the work they do. I truly appreciated some of the supervisors and staff I had the pleasure of working with; they were extremely supportive, caring, and highly skilled.

Cons

Did not feel supported by our program management; oftentimes felt like I was used to meeting their bottom line and wasn't acknowledged for who I was. There were a lot of issues that got in the way of billing and I would express this weekly in individual supervision, team meeting, and group supervision. Despite all of the conversations I had about it, I was still approached during a staff meeting about billing which was infuriating because there was a lack of communication between upper management about what was going on at our site. I felt like a broken record and was not acknowledged for effort I was putting in to try and get more clients. I offered to work as a summer clinician counselor to stay busy over the summer to increase billing and was kicked out of the role last minute because they hired an IS (an intervention specialist) who would work with the demographic of kids, the next academic year. I understand their reasoning, but nobody was working with me to help me out. It seems like the agency blames the clinician for not being able to open clients/meet billing requirements when there were legitimate reasons for people not being able to open (i.e., no MediCal insurance clients were being presented to us, ongoing on-campus lockdowns due to gun threats, natural disasters, fights, etc.). Management seems to pick favorites and does not see each person equally. I also notice the lack of diversity in upper management which consists of mostly white women. Coming from an agency that works in community mental health to treat mostly Brown and Black folkx, I am surprised that there is not as much representation. I personally think it is hypocritical for the agency to expect optimal care for clients when they treat staff as if they are a means to an end, which includes limited pay. There were many times my supervisor would reschedule supervision last minute or be 45 minutes late. I would have to reach out to them and ask what was going on 15 minutes after our scheduled supervision session to find they were in the middle of a consultation with another clinician. I would never treat a client like that, so why is it okay for my supervisor to treat me unprofessionally? Please put your money where your mouth is.

3. "TBS Clinician"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Lincoln full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team and atmosphere

Cons

Progress Notes can be consuming at times

January 29, 2020President & CEO

The TBS team is amazing! As for paperwork, I could not agree more. Lincoln has been advocating through county and state alliances to reduce the paperwork load so our staff can spend more time focused on the youth and families. I will continue to keep this as a priority over the coming year.

4. "Great Culture, Decent Pay and Benefits"

Current Employee - Decline to State in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Lincoln full-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome company culture, friendly staff and coworkers. Great benefits and generous vacation time

Cons

I have not seen any yet.

January 29, 2020President & CEO

I am thrilled to hear you are having such a positive experience! If you want to reach out to me directly, I would love to hear about the ways in which your program/department are supporting you so we can intentionally keep those structures in place and I can give kudos to the leaders and colleagues making that happen.

"Declining Work Place"

1.0
    Current Employee - Mental Health Clinician in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Lincoln full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits, 403b plan, and pension plan, fully vested after only 3 years.

Cons

The organization is a top heavy inequitable agency, with white people at the top and people of color at the bottom. There is tremendous hypocrisy in the agency’s mission and how they handle the work environment. The chief senior directors are perpetuating this new form of oppression, where people of color walk on eggshells hoping not to get the white chief directors upset. The leadership in HR is a joke and only becomes involved when hours are low among line staff. This is not an agency with the right people at the top and in major need of restructuring.

January 29, 2020President & CEO

As you mentioned, Lincoln has been going through significant changes in the last few years and as a white, cisgendered straight woman in the CEO role, I am trying to be attuned to how white supremacy, structural racism and implicit bias play out in our services and in our agency culture AND there is much work to be done. We have been making efforts towards increasing representation of staff of color in leadership roles. Our Senior Management Team is now majority women of color. However, representation needs to be coupled with structural change. Our Employee Equity Council and Manager Equity Team have also been helping Lincoln begin to reflect on inequities and make changes to policies and practices but again we have a long way to go. I appreciate your feedback and I would love to hear more about your experience if you ever want to talk.

"a company in transition"

4.0
    Former Employee - Clinician in Oakland, CA

I worked at Lincoln full-time for more than a year

Pros

I met lots of wonderful and talented people who are passionate about the work they do. I felt that I had the support of my peers and most of the upper management/supervisors. A good place to start developing skills out of graduate school.

Cons

Lots of transition amongst supervisors, program managers, and more recently the executive level as well. As would be expected at this type of non-profit, there is also a lot of turnover with clinicians and direct staff. I also struggled with best care vs. meeting billing expectations, though I think that is a systemic issue that is not unique to Lincoln.

July 10, 2019Executive Assistant

Thank you so much for your feedback. After 13 years, Chris Stoner-Mertz, our former CEO, has moved on to become the ED of the California Alliance for Children and Families, a statewide advocacy group. Having been at Lincoln for 18 years and overseen Lincoln's programs for the last 6, I am excited to step into the role of CEO and further our mission of disrupting cycles of poverty and trauma by providing quality community and school-based services in Alameda and Contra Costa Counties. Throughout these transitions, I have found the following quote helpful, "The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Come build with us! - Allison Staulcup Becwar, President & CEO

"Poor Organization Management and Work Culture"

1.0
    Current Employee - Clinician in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Lincoln full-time

Pros

Lincoln provides decent health benefits, good work life balance, generous vacation days, sick days, 403B retirement benefits, and a sense of community with your coworkers.

Cons

The average turnover at Lincoln has been in decline over the last few years. An average employee stays at Lincoln for 8 months. The predominant reason is the pay which is not a livable wage. It is usual to hear of full-time Lincoln employees have second jobs (seasonal jobs, driving for Uber/Lyft, etc) . Some have masters degrees and can barely pay rent. This issue as well as many others at Lincoln stem from poor leadership on the senior management level. Most employees go into Lincoln hoping to positively impact the community but it gets lost in work politics, favoritism, and broken management. Many of the senior staff have been at Lincoln for too long and have lost sight of the purpose of why everyone is there in the first place. There is no oversight of the senior staff and no one is held accountable. HR will not do anything unless it directly affects the senior staff or budget. There is a lot of time and resources put into creating an "equitable" environment that the very basic question of, "can we get work done and help the community" becomes secondary. Instead, many employees have a false sense of entitlement, file complaints, and make non-issues into issues. Several hours and many resources get put into HR meetings to address problems that never get resolved and irreconcilable, someone ends up leaving the organization, or individuals are put on a performance review keeping many employees on some level of anxiety regarding their job statuses. You will hear of many employees going on sick and mental health leave. These wasted hours and resources should be invested in the community and not dealing with employees' interpersonal issues and complaints with management who allow these issues to persist. Because of these problems plus so many more, the mission gets put on the back burner on top of the the pay already being low. There is no reason to come to Lincoln or stay unless you're trying to complete your training hours or really just need a paycheck.

Continue reading
  8. "Good job out of college"

I have been working at Lincoln part-time

Pros

Thoughtful trainings, culturally-sensitive environment, can get hours toward licensure quickly

Cons

Low pay, unrealistic paperwork deadlines, unreasonable amount of meetings, not much room for growth

"great company"

I worked at Lincoln full-time

Pros

hours pay benefits company events yearly cruise

Cons

overall great company would refer friends

Continue reading

"One of the most influential places in my career; I would not have been successful in my graduate program without them."

4.0
    Former Employee - Intake Coordinator in Pittsburg, CA

I worked at Lincoln full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Supportive, flexible, and strength based. I always felt like I could talk to someone, and I would be supported immediately. This work is very hard and can be taxing, causing burn out, but supervisors and coworkers were always there for me.

Cons

Pay. Although I did receive raises over the years, starting as a milieu staff in residential, to a Master’s level Social Worker, my ending pay did not reflect my degree or experience. I understand this is a non profit; this was the only reason I had to leave.

Found 42 reviews