Lindquist & Vennum Reviews | Glassdoor

Dennis M. O'Malley

1. "Positive experience."

Former Employee - Former Partner in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Former Partner in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Wonderful group of people, and a very nice place to practice.

Cons

Like most law firms today, you eat what you kill.

2. "Down to earth people. Friendly staffs and attorneys."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

One of the best law firms I have worked for. They treat their employees very well. Recently, they have made a lot of efforts in promoting diversity in the workplace. The managing partner is very likable and approachable.

Cons

They are not as fancy as other law firms, although this is changing as they are transitioning into their new space.

3. "Litigation Support Specialist"

Former Employee - Litigation Support Specialist in Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - Litigation Support Specialist in Fargo, ND

I worked at Lindquist & Vennum (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Company, amazing management. Would highly recommend.

Cons

Nothing to say at this time.

"Terrible Employer"

Former Employee - Not Going to Say in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Not Going to Say in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Not a lot of good reason to work at this firm other than getting a paycheck - and even that is somewhat on the low side.

Cons

A narrow minded old school firm that behaves ruthlessly and foolishly on occasion. The partners guard profits for themselves in the millions while laying off staff and attorneys and failing on items such as IT and marketing. The former greatness is long gone and morale is below basement level.

Advice to Management

Look at your employees as valued team members and serve their needs. They are one of your greatest marketing tools. The culture is top heavy and stagnant and fails to value people above profits. No firm survives well with that mindset.

"The best company I have ever worked for!"

Former Employee - Reception in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Reception in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Lindquist & Vennum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone at L&V was nice and supportive towards me. My managers always wanted to see me succeed. They were always available to talk to. I could ask them any question without being judged. If I had a concern, I felt I could trust them to share my concerns with them without fear of retaliation or punishment. My co-workers were positive and supportive and I learned so much while I was there. Even though it was only for 1 short year. I left due to moving out of the cities and the HR department told me if I ever needed to come back, to call and let them know. I left on the best terms. I have nothing bad to say about this company. It is by far the best job I have ever had!

Cons

I have read some of the other reviews on here about Lindquist in regards to gossip and not being supported by management. I truly feel it's all in a persons attitude. If you don't like your job or co-workers, for whatever the reason, then you will more than likely have a bad experience and have nothing nice to say after you leave. I am not sure of these other employees experiences, but I got along with everyone and so my experience was awesome. Just like anywhere, there will be gossip. I never let the gossip get to me or feed off of it. I went in, did my job, got along with everyone and had the best experience ever!

"Not the Best"

I have been working at Lindquist & Vennum full-time

Pros

Average salaries but raises low and do not keep up with the rising cost of benefits and the cost of living.

Cons

Employer is often arbitrary and unfair. A very hierarchal system in which support staff feel disrespected and abused. The management uses an ongoing excuse of "reorganization" to justify layoffs and terminations, but the only effect of the "reorganization" appears to be to line the pockets of the partners. I've heard it used to be a great place to work but the glory is in the past.

"Opportunity for those who work hard and play their cards right."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Lindquist & Vennum full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work-life balance and flexibility.
    Barrier-free access to leadership.
    Associates are given opportunities to market and participate in the proposal/pitch process.
    Generally supportive attitude toward practice growth and developing new business.
    As a mid-size firm, Lindquist & Vennum is more nimble than AmLaw 100 firms. Change happens faster and we remain client-centric.

Cons

It's not unique to the firm, but teamwork comes hard for some (including senior partners) who have a eat-what-you-kill mentality.

"Generally sub-par, mediocre lawyers"

Former Employee - Lawyer in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Lawyer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Lindquist & Vennum full-time

Pros

Easy hours, some genuinely nice people, decent technology in the office

Cons

Lots of gossip, cheap (no relocation expenses paid, takes a long time for reimbursement for meals/etc, pays below market), mediocre leadership, no intellectual drive, no push to be a leader in the legal community

"Great until 2009 (after 28 years)"

Former Employee - LAA in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - LAA in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

great sprit de corps for first 20 years

Cons

gossip allowed; new HR had no legal experience......HR mere pawns of management. No guts. Unwilling or unable to do the right thing, and stand up to unrealistic atty expectations. HR did not support LAA's as they should.

Advice to Management

Be fair to LAA's; and listen to their side of issues.

11. "Great in the mid-size firm category."

I have been working at Lindquist & Vennum full-time

Pros

Great culture and excellent people, very good and well managed 401(k), definitely one of the leading firms in the Midwest (but also with a growing regional reputation)

Cons

This is not specific to this firm, but the legal market has changed in the last several years. The test for this firm will be whether it can adapt to clients' changed expectations for legal services.

Advice to Management

It seems that management has found a right balance between leading the firm into the future and being responsive to the needs of the current stakeholders. There is some limit to this, but overall, ignore the naysayers.