Lindt & Sprüngli Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Lindt & Sprüngli CEO Daniel Studer
Daniel Studer

Pros
Cons
  • high responsiveness expectation for upper management requests, a lot of travel that could be replaced with virtual meetings (in 13 reviews)

• pay work life balance upper managent (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Prepare to Eat Your Weight in Chocolate..."

I have been working at Lindt & Sprüngli full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The most important pro... On site fitness facility to counter your weight gain that you will inevitably encounter.
    The cafeteria is open to all employees and everyone from plant employees to the CEO eat there and share tables together. You can have conversations with people no matter their rank in the company which is beyond incredible to me.
    The company truly values all employees. From Lindt store discounts to yearly employee satisfaction surveys and Thanksgiving Turkey giveaways, all workers are shown appreciation for their hard work and dedication to the company.
    If you want to further yourself and invest in your future with Lindt, they will help you get there by providing educational assistance.
    I have never had an issue with the management and have always felt like I am making a difference in my position.
    Overall, I love this company and the people who make it worth coming to work every day. There is a good culture here that is at times a bit polarizing, but nothing that you can't ignore when needed.

Cons

A Switzerland based company doing business here in the USA comes with many benefits, but also quite a few headaches... At the top, the company is managed is very well but many roadblocks are consistently an issue when it comes to Amercianizing a highly distinctive Swiss product and taking it to market. This should not discourage you, however, it should prepare you of what to expect on the corporate side of decision making. Have you heard of Stracciatella? 90% chance you probably just struggled to read that word let alone comprehend the question at hand. I'm positive you or someone close to you does like cookies and cream though, correct? This is but one example of how the company will be prevented from truly thriving and continuing to win over new consumers here in the US due to the strict brand guidelines put in place by those in Switzerland. They are not completely reluctant to change, but prepare yourself for a prolonged battle to get there. Again, don't be detoured. As stated above, this is a great company overall.

Another call out to make is I was also a bit taken aback when I learned that the European corporate offices have much more accommodating maternity benefits than the United States'. Again, not to discourage women, but to call out that the benefits are very basic in the simple sense.

Also, one more con... You're going to want to spend some money on new work clothes 1 to 2 sizes up or invest in a tailor that can add elastic bands to your pants. This chocolate is incredible and behind every corner you turn. There are free chocolate giveaways quite frequently so be prepared to gain some weight.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing Switzerland to make the best decisions for the US market and to best service each individual retailer that we work with.

2. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Stratham, NH
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Stratham, NH

I have been working at Lindt & Sprüngli full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and the really value employees

Cons

communication between departments is weak

May 4, 2017 – Corporate Recruitment Manager

Thanks for leaving a review! We really appreciate it. We have been discussing ways of improving cross-departmental communication, as well as company-wide communications from Global. As we grow, we ... More

3. "Slow changing corporate company with inability to support and train staff properly"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Niagara Falls, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Niagara Falls, NY

I worked at Lindt & Sprüngli full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

50% off discount, schedule made around a month in advance, every other Sunday allowed off for management (if you are staffed to allow it), 4 holidays a year paid 8 hours in addition to whether you worked them, at least 16 PTO days for FT employees (pro-rated based on start time), motivating bonus system newly available to all employees, OT available, lots to learn

Cons

Lack of district managers has a trickle down effect that negatively impacts store and assistant managers because there is not the support available to help them (as DMs are leading up to 20 stores when they shouldn't be, meaning problems are forgotten about), company continues to downsize corporate positions that support the retail business such as the marketing department which negatively impacts each store's business, upper management seems out of touch with the day to day dilemmas that retail store managers are facing, product is discontinued without informing retail stores which leads to disgruntled customers, the training for management positions that one may be promoted to untraditionally (due to miscellaneous circumstances) is nonexistent despite asking for it, notice for sales promotions and product changes in sampling so that management is able to properly order in preparation rarely happens, like many sales organizations Lindt assumes that all must be okay at the store as long as the numbers on paper are being achieved rather than caring about the wellbeing of the people in the role, and overall is very old fashioned as a company (still having retail store employees build product on the floor; which takes away from customers, meticulous secret shop program not allowing for activity outside of robotic corporate dictated framework, order visual merchandising changes without allowing extra scheduling time during closed hours for merch flips, no scheduling system for access online, did not change entry level employee wages when minimum wage increased in select states despite encouragement from lower level managment, gives a pre-determine % raise to employees based on amount of time worked rather than individual employee performance, extremely conservative dress code that turns away half of the people that take an application, the inability for prospective employees to complete an application online to work at the retail stores online unless an Indeed ad has been posted by a DM, extremely detailed audits that reflect poorly on management although certain details audited are out of management's control ie. a mandatory built in cabinet is within 3 feet of the fire extinguishers violating the code, there is only one outlet in the back room and extension cords are the only way to plug in multiple necessary products, etc.)

Advice to Management

Better prepare for circumstances that are in your control by training and supporting the staff you have. Come up with solutions to consistent challenges such as understaffing (from the DM level down) before the are challenges. Show your retail stores you really do care about them and their successes by working with them rather than abandoning them because there are other stores in more dire circumstances ie. not making numbers, and lastly, appreciate those employees that are trying to adapt to the situations that were ill prepared for, rather than taking advantage of their willingness to try and help in untrained situations, and forcing them to stay in the roles they were not hired for, because the numbers are great.

5. "Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Manchester, NH

I have been working at Lindt & Sprüngli full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great discounts, great product to sell

Cons

Schedule requirements: nights, weekends, holidays. Poor communication from upper management.

Advice to Management

Less is better.

May 4, 2017 – Corporate Recruitment Manager

Thank you for leaving a review! Unfortunately, nights, weekends, and holidays are part of our retail store schedule, so while we can't change that, we can certainly lean into ways of improving ... More

6. "Nice Pay , Generous Emp Discount"

Current Employee - Key Holder in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Key Holder in New York, NY

I have been working at Lindt & Sprüngli part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay. Lindt gives generous 50% employee discount. Colorful place to work at . Happy people around.It is busy during weekends and time goes really fast.

Cons

Can't work over 28 hours. Schedule keeps changing.People keep joining and leaving. Don't have much to do when there is no customer so it gets boring

Mar 7, 2017 – Corporate Recruitment Manager

Thanks for taking the time to review us! You'll be happy to know that we are looking into new ways to offset single coverage to alleviate the slow periods. Thanks for all you do! We appreciate it! ... More

7. "Chocolate Advisor"

Current Employee - Chocolate Advisor in Albany, NY

Pros

Working at Lindt has so far been the best working experiencing I've ever had. From the staff to the work environment. I love customer service and this job really allows me to go out my way to interact with and help customers.

Cons

Not applicable I don't have any cons

Jan 19, 2017 – Corporate Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a positive review! We're so glad you're enjoying it! :)

8. "The Lindt Stores"

Current Employee - Chocolate Advisor in Albany, NY

I have been working at Lindt & Sprüngli part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really fun co-workers and managers every shift that make you enjoy working there. It's also reminds you that you can be responsible, and enjoy what you do at the same time.

Cons

Can't say that I have any cons. The work I do and the times that I are perfect, especially when working around other obligations.

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome!!! You guys were the ones that made me feel welcome and make the working environment a comfortable one.

Jan 19, 2017 – Corporate Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review! We are so glad you're enjoying your experience on our Lindt Retail Team! If there is anything we can ever help with, be sure to let us know. Albi ... More

9. "VP of Operations"

Former Employee - Vice President, Operations in North Hampton, NH
    Former Employee - Vice President, Operations in North Hampton, NH

I worked at Lindt & Sprüngli (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to work and enjoyed my time.

Cons

Strategy not always followed.

10. "Great place to be for long term career growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stratham, NH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stratham, NH

I have been working at Lindt & Sprüngli full-time

Pros

Lindt USA is a fast growing company, yet is still relatively small compared to other big food manufactures. This means less layers of management, projects have higher visibility, and you have a true opportunity to make a difference no matter how far along in your career you are.

Cons

Current organization structure and processes are not conducive to effective communication and teamwork. There is a slight tendency to work in silos, which causes hick-ups in projects. This is where the opportunity exists to make a positive influence on the organization.

Advice to Management

Invest in process and IT improvement now.

"Not a good company - hope for change with new CEO"

Current Employee - QA Floor Auditor in Stratham, NH
    Current Employee - QA Floor Auditor in Stratham, NH

I have been working at Lindt & Sprüngli full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hard to lose your job. If they want you out though - and it is dependent on who you report to - she will make sure you want to leave.

Cons

Hourly HR is very unsupportive, uninterested, unprofessional -
    HR protects upper management no matter how bad they are.
    Very little chance of advancement in QA. The turnover of good workers in this dept alone is really terrible.
    The CEO is new - i hope he reads this.

Advice to Management

Find a way to really listen to the workers. Only management is listened to. You have some in high positions that should not be there. Those reporting to them have nowhere to go for help. HR supports them no matter what.

Dec 27, 2016 – Corporate Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this feedback and also for your 5+ years of service to Lindt USA. We really take these matters seriously and I would encourage you to reach out to any other ... More