Cover image for Lingoda

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,937

976 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Lingoda has a very supportive team for both teachers and students.(in 19 reviews)
  • "Great colleagues(in 14 reviews)
  • "Flexible working hours allowed for many, Easy interview(in 11 reviews)
  • "I love working with Lingoda's material and find flexible hours.(in 10 reviews)
  • "great people, who unfortunately tend to not stay in the company for long(in 9 reviews)
Cons
  • "Pay is low for the work being done outside of classtime to familiarise ourselves with class material and leave feedback for students.(in 28 reviews)
  • "Low salary and many penalties(in 14 reviews)
  • "Management is already reacting to this, but in the long term, official and effective interdepartmental decision(in 11 reviews)
  • "Half of the students don't know they have reports (great communication on Lingoda's part!)(in 7 reviews)
  • "there are very little classes available each week which makes it impossible for a teacher to do this more than 8 hours per week;(in 6 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Flexible schedule, easy to use platform, helpful staff

Oct 30, 2021 - Online ESL Teacher in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Choose your class schedule as classes pop up during the day up to about a month in advance. - Schedule 80 or more classes a month (or as few as you want) at 11 Euros an hour. - Fantastic cancellation policy for cancellations 24 hours in advance or more: cancel as many classes as you need to 24 hours or more in advance, and there is no penalty or disciplinary action taken. - Feedback sessions with teacher team advisors can be scheduled if you need advice or to discuss issues.

Cons

- The teacher rating system seems inconsistent or unfair at times, though it does not necessarily affect pay or ability to schedule classes. Some students will write very positive comments about you as a teacher like "best teacher I ever had," but just a couple of bad ratings (based on 1-5/5 points) will bring your numerical rating down to the teacher average rating or below at the end of the month.

2. 4.0

Pay rate

Sep 27, 2021 - Online English Teacher in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible schedule, timely payments, trusted.

Cons

Pay rate is very low unfortunately

Be the first to find this review helpful
  3. Join the Lingoda team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Flexible Teaching

Aug 21, 2021 - Online English Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

I love teaching adult students from around the world! The teaching materials they provide are well made.

Cons

Teachers need to frequently check the calendar to add classes to teach.

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great job and good experience!

Oct 7, 2020 - Teacher in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of fun. It's the future of language teaching without question!

Cons

Like any teaching situation there are challenges, but the management and technical support teams are quite helpful!

Be the first to find this review helpful

People and Culture Team

We love this review and will happily share it with the support team! It's great to hear that you enjoy your work, despite challenges in the classroom. We also think that e-learning will make quality education more accessible to people all over the World in the near future. But even the best software won't replace a dedicated teacher. Thank you for your dedication!

6. 5.0

Great Flexibility, Helpful Management

Jun 24, 2020 - Freelance English Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

The scheduling system allows for ultimate flexibility both in when you teach and what you teach, as each class is selected by the teacher.

Cons

Because of the flexible scheduling system , it can be hit or miss when it comes to the time slots students want to book classes.

7. 5.0

Great Company

Sep 30, 2019 - Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

I recently joined Lingoda and I love the company. Their content and support are really great! I recommend this job for anyone who needs a side gig. It's a great way to meet people from all over the world, all in the comfort of your own home.

Cons

Pay isn't stellar but it's great for a side gig.

HR

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate the positive feedback. We keep our students at the centre of everything we do here at Lingoda so we are glad to hear that you enjoy working with them. The intercultural exchange that occurs every day at Lingoda is wonderful to take part in. The opportunity to meet people from all over the world in a virtual classroom is an experience we are fortunate to facilitate. Enjoy your upcoming classes!

8. 5.0

So far so good!

Mar 7, 2018 - Teacher in Tallahassee, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've been working with Lingoda for about a month and I've really enjoyed so far. Pros: Unless the students specifically ask for an individual lesson, all the lesson materials are provided by Lingoda. Which makes preparing very easy. So far the teacher "help desk" has been very prompt and has always kindly answered my questions. You get to meet and interact with people from all over the world I think the pay is fair for the amount of work and hours that we teach (Lingoda makes it clear in the contract that teaching is only a part-time job. Therefore you should have another source of income as well) Flexible hours!!

Cons

So far I've encountered very few problems: Student(s) might not show-up to a class There is very little teacher based training, so be prepared to just jump right in. However, there is training on how to operate the programs and most questions are answered. There is no teacher to teacher interaction (which may be done purpose and can also be a "pro" as well)

3 people found this review helpful

Head of Operations

We are very happy that you appreciate the fact that you can chose to use our lesson material, as well as the effort that we put in supporting our teachers every day. You also mentioned a couple of points that we are very proud of: our company is international since its conception and flexibility is, as we usually say, "in our very DNA". Not only by working hours, as you underlined, but also when solving any issue with teachers and students. Thank you very much for raising the issue of students not showing up to lessons sometimes. We would like to reassure you that we analyze this on a regular basis as well as thoroughly investigating how to help students to remember their classes. We also appreciate your suggestions about the lack of systematic teacher training and teacher-to-teacher interaction. Our main goal is to provide an attractive secondary job to freelance teachers who are, in most cases, already engaged professionally in other teaching activities. This is why teacher preparation is not one of Lingoda's priorities at this point.

9. 3.0

Ok so far . . .

Jan 19, 2018 - English Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

You can set your own schedule, the teaching material is great, and you get to teach some very interesting international students.

Cons

The salary isn’t very high, but I haven’t worked her long enough to know how fast you can move up the pay scale if you do a good job.

3 people found this review helpful
  10. 1.0
    Former Employee

When you pay peanuts you get monkeys

Oct 1, 2016 - Professor in Shangri La, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

All the experts will stay away

Cons

Salary is less than a cleaner. Need to say more ?

47 people found this review helpful
  11. 1.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Miserable

Nov 21, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Racism, sexism, comments about appearance and much more go and find out right now here at Lingoda

Cons

I was aware that people here are not the best professionals in business and didn’t expect much.

1 person found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 160 Reviews
</>Embed

Lingoda Reviews FAQs

Lingoda has an overall rating of 3.5 out of 5, based on over 372 reviews left anonymously by employees. 66% of employees would recommend working at Lingoda to a friend and 59% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -14% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Lingoda employees rate their compensation and benefits as 2.8 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Lingoda. This rating has decreased by -12% over the last 12 months.

66% of Lingoda employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Lingoda 3.7 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.4 for culture and values and 3.1 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Lingoda to be career development, culture, coworkers and the cons to be benefits, management, compensation.

Popular Careers with Lingoda Job Seekers