LinkedIn Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Manager

4.4

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • In Customer Operations Bangalore maintaining work life balance is difficult (in 62 reviews)

• much bureaucracy, a lot of mediocre middle management (in 49 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great career growth great pay great benefits

Cons

Some teams don't work on interesting things

"Generation X and Boomers need not apply"

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at LinkedIn (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent product, world-class benefits, above average pay, relaxed dress code, growth opportunities, and friendly atmosphere. I love the management philosophy of Leadership, Leverage, Results. Early on in every position, the employee is asked "what is your next play." The company is always looking to determine your next role and opportunity.

Cons

LinkedIn hires on pedigree and age. Most managers are under 30, directors are under 40, and anyone over 40 is a rarity. Important positions will be staffed based on the university the employee graduated from, rather than work experience. Sales process is being created by recent Ivy League grads who have never sold. Some sales and service director positions have been filled with individuals who are extremely smart but have limited to no experience selling and retaining. The attitude is if you are smart, you can lead any team no matter if you have zero experience doing your staff's actual trade.

The millennial focus is highlighted in many aspects of the culture. At the 2016 global sales organization meeting, messaging was all about "you are the best-of-the-best" and that LinkedIn would not be successful without the individual job you do. Top performers were highlighted in front of thousands of employees. As the employee came to the stage to receive their well deserved award, videos of colleagues commending them were shown. Interspersed among work-centric kudos, the awardee's parents were shown in the videos congratulating their child and stating how proud they were of them. For a non-millennial, it was weird to see their parents congratulating their kid in a work setting. But this is also a company who holds Bring Your Parents to Work Day.

Advice to Management

LinkedIn has worked hard and succeeded at creating a diverse company in regards to race, women in tech, gender in leadership, veterans, and sexual orientation. But there is value in having a part of the workforce over 40 years old. There are meetings you will be in and realize there are no "adults" in the room, and discussion is held at a theoretical hight using the meeting to talk about what we will talk about in the next meeting.

3. "LinkedIn Bay Area"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I feel that my manager truly cares about me as an individual and is looking out for my best interests as well as my professional growth. The culture is open and collaborative and the facilities and benefits are incredible.

Cons

While minimal, there is some uncertainty as to what will happen as a result of the Microsoft acquisition.

Advice to Management

Honestly I don't really have much if anything to complain about.

"Great Company, Excellent Culture & Values, Strong CEO, Weak Divisional Marketing Leadership"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LinkedIn (More than 5 years)

Pros

Many talented people, good culture & values, clear mission, sound strategy, top-notch benefits including great food, strong CEO, lots of opportunity, cool campuses, company all-hands, InDays, founder still involved

Cons

Too many incompetent but hot headed sales leaders and reps, weak divisional marketing leadership especially LSS and GMO, product team has been slow to execute, insufficient engineering bench strength, arrogant people, overly entitled employees, siloed orgs, complete lack of collaboration inside the company.

Advice to Management

Lots going well overall, but here's some advice. Invest a lot more in your product to make it a daily habit, drastically increase and improve engineering talent (there are way too many bugs for a company of Linkedin's caliber), quickly make changes to the LSS/GMO marketing leadership, rotate out all the hot headed sales leaders who have struggled to grow their books, motivate your sales reps to work much harder.

"Worst experience of my career"

Former Employee - Manager, Sales Support in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Manager, Sales Support in Omaha, NE

I worked at LinkedIn full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, free food, great teammates really loved people below managers. So nice and accepting teammates that work to help you.

Cons

I worked here for several years and witnessed managers not being consistent with expectations. If you are not in the in-crowd you are out.

Advice to Management

Help people succeed. Just because someone is different than you doesn't mean you should do all you can to get them to leave the company.

6. "#LinkedInLife"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Get to work with brilliant people (especially my manager, who also doubles as a great mentor for me). Great perks (free food, free coffee bar rivals starbucks, free juice bar, free ice cream bar, just free bars.. i can go on), great energy in the company to get things done (motivated by a sense of how much of a difference the products make in the lives of people in earning their livelihood or taking it to the next level). feel proud to work here

Cons

company in rapid growth mode, so processes still maturing.

"Great colleagues, some challenges"

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at LinkedIn full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Overall LinkedIn is a great place to work. Interesting challenges and fun impactful things to work on. Good for work life balance and career growth as long as you are with the right manager/team. They can make work fantastic. Excited to see where Microsoft takes LinkedIn.

Cons

Lot's of re-organizations. I was at LinkedIn almost 6 years and my group was re-org'ed multiple times (4+ during that time).
    In some cases suffering from bad hires from years ago that were never corrected. This is both at the Manager and IC level.
    Like everywhere there are managers who are out for themselves first... be on the look out and gravitate to the great ones (as there are many).
    Has become an increasingly political environment where words like "executive sponsor" can trump big ideas.

Advice to Management

Not sure what to say here. Hopefully the good continues to outweigh the bad.

8. "Lots of growth opportunities, terrific people"

Current Employee - Group Product Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Group Product Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Incredible people, interesting projects, great benefits and perks, stellar leadership, new offices in San Francisco, collaborative culture that treats employees like owners.

Cons

Fewer engineers to compete head to head with companies like Facebook or Google; as a result, the pace of innovation is slower and tradeoffs more stark.

"Rapid growth is slowing...."

Former Employee - Senior Enterprise Relationship Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Enterprise Relationship Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at LinkedIn (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful people, wonderful work culture (in theory), CHRO is phenomenal, leadership is outstanding

Cons

Product is becoming a commodity, it's expensive and they keep raising the price making in harder to sell. They are now public and have been bought by Microsoft so culture will likely erode even more.

Advice to Management

Add more value before another price increase. Keep loyal customers.
    All rapid growth must slow, don't panic, don't put so much pressure on sales, you will lose good people and the ones who stay will burn out.

10. "Life at Linkedin"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Carpinteria, CA
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Carpinteria, CA

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, free food and great internal growth opportunities.

Cons

Large company, hard to navigate across different departments.