LinkedIn Reviews in Mountain View, CA | Glassdoor

Updated August 11, 2017

Mountain View, CA

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • In Customer Operations Bangalore maintaining work life balance is difficult (in 62 reviews)

• much bureaucracy, a lot of mediocre middle management (in 49 reviews)

1. "One of a kind company - Just not for introverts"

Former Employee - Senior Product Support Specialist in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Support Specialist in Mountain View, CA

I worked at LinkedIn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great transparent culture, excellent benefits, helpful team members that care about building relationships.

Cons

Limited advancement unless you change roles & verticals (not really advancement, but change is good if you wish to keep your job). Arguably the worst experience was constantly being measured on performance each week, month, year.

For all introverts - make sure to pass on consumer roles. Logging time worked can be tedious and take away from your creative throughput.

Advice to Management

Management wasn't the problem. It's the top-down decisions made by leadership who dislike employees who are more introverted in their work style.

2. "Software Developer (Intern)"

Former Intern - Software Developer (Intern) in Mountain View, CA
    Former Intern - Software Developer (Intern) in Mountain View, CA

I worked at LinkedIn as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

LinkedIn has a great culture complete with bikes to ride, a gym and fitness trainer, pick up basketball, entertainment space and of course free food. The teams I worked with were very pleasant and eager to help. They even have an internal incubator and hackathons that allow you to build in any ay imaginable. The CEO Jeff Weiner is truly inspirational.

Cons

None that I noticed while working there!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, I loved my manager!

"Love working here"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at LinkedIn (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent place to grow as an engineer. Lots of opportunity for ownership and taking on leadership.

Cons

Some things are quite broken, and the obstacles can seem byzantine.

4. "Senior Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at LinkedIn (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great open source culture and engineering team. Very talented and motivated executive team.

Cons

Product teams tend to do better from a growth perspective and not infrastructure teams.

Advice to Management

Balance priorities for product and infra teams.

5. "Real-impactful project and brilliant teammates"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Pros

- People are brilliant, nice, and helpful. They're also fun to hang out with.
    - Intern project has real impact on company products.

Cons

- Not quite diverse yet but LinkedIn has multiple programs to improve this

"Great workplace overall"

Current Employee - Software Engineer (Former Web Developer) in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Use of latest technology in building products is great
    - Great perks and benefits

Cons

- Very fast paced, hence the need to work till late or on weekends on a regular basis
    - Couple of weak managers who are unable to inspire, mentor or develop careers

Advice to Management

Only make technically competent folks managers/ leaders

"Bad Maternity leave experience"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free (and generally great) food. Smart colleagues. Lots of mandatory fun events like a company wide chili cook off and team offsites.

Cons

There is a lot of implicit bias at LinkedIn. The gender ratio is pretty balanced at low levels, but the opportunities for growth are still limited to a boys club.

One effect of this is that I have never seen anyone in the product management or product marketing orgs have a good return from maternity leave. When these women come back, they are put into less visible and less interesting roles...or in one recent case, pushed out of the company within a year of coming back. These are capable women who are seen as non capable by the senior leaders the minute they announce their pregnancies. As a true example, when I announced my pregnancy to my vp he replied "congratulations... I think."

There is a lot of lip service around the length of leave and benefits to new parents, but the biggest benefit is to go back to a job that you care about and...I haven't seen that happen.

Advice to Management

New hires should not be prioritized over existing employees when hiring-- especially women who return from maternity leave.
    Managers should care about people, not just metrics.

"Wonderful Internship!"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Couldn't have asked for a better experience! Amazing food, free gym / fitness classes, monthly InDays to do anything you want, inspiring CEO, lots of support available to interns, fun intern events (Disneyland trip, paintballing, speaker series, etc.), amazing culture, good pay, sooo many perks, the list goes on and on...

They house the interns in the same apartment complex so it was really easy to meet other people, hang out after work, etc. This summer made me feel so spoiled; it felt like summer camp! I was worried that all of the other interns would be the stereotypical "CS nerd" type but that was certainly not the case. You can tell LinkedIn focuses a lot on culture fit and that is apparent in their hiring. I think the intern program is the perfect size. They keep it a little smaller than some other large tech companies which means more of the interns can get return offers. LinkedIn invests a lot into their intern program and it is very apparent.

Cons

Gained weight from all the good food!

Looking back I think I would have preferred to work in the SF office instead of the south bay because it's a more exciting area if you're young.

Advice to Management

More diversity perhaps -- most of the tech employees seem to be young, male, and Asian/white

"LinkedIn is not a tech company."

Former Employee - Senior Site Reliability Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Site Reliability Engineer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

* Pay is good.
    * Food is decent.
    * You do not have to do much(if any) work.
    * With only mediocre people around you rising in ranks is easy(though requires lots of politics).

Cons

* Nothing to learn, except maybe politics.
    * Engineers around you are mostly mediocre(at best).
    * Technical management usually consists of people who are incompetent technically.
    * Management structure is very deep. Every tiny bit of functionality is factored out in a separate team, with it's own management structure.
    * Fix the culture. Technical culture is non-existent here. Your engineers should be smart and bold, not the reverse (which they are right now).

Advice to Management

* Rise technical bar, to be able to hire smart people.
    * Fire incompetent people and merge the remaining ones into broader teams under a flatten management structure.
    * Hire the best people. Engineers who care about the product they are building. Managers who care about their team, not their position.

10. "Sales Manager, LinkedIn Talent Solutions"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager, Talent Solutions in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture and values. I've loved learning how startups work from an insiders perspective. Our value proposition is pretty amazing, too.

Cons

Challenges with growth and scale. No longer the startup it once was.

Advice to Management

Focus on what made us great and inspire the teams. Just because we're all grown up doesn't mean we can't still love what we do.

Showing 447 of 1,947 reviews