Lionbridge Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Lionbridge CEO and President John Fennelly
John Fennelly

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Lionbridge also offers good flexibility to work from home (in 163 reviews)

• Good work/life balance, nice environment (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits, no changes in salary (in 27 reviews)

• Wish this position could be full time (in 22 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Exciting time to be at Lionbridge."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Lionbridge full-time

Pros

Lionbridge is a truly global company. There is a high level of transparency at Lionbridge - even though there are over 6,000 employees, the company communicates promotions and new hires. In addition, from a culture perspective, there was recently a meditation class (we even had a really fun super bowl party!). The employees here are all very friendly and helpful. Honestly, before I interviewed here, I was taken back by some of the poor reviews; however, I realize now that many of them are from contractors who work part-time from home who do translation work (vs. FT employees of Lionbridge). Lionbridge has brought in some new leaders who are eager to bring change to the company - and the company is hungry for it, too.

I wasn't too aware of Lionbridge prior to interviewing here, but now that I'm here, it's a pretty cool company that has grown organically and via acquisition. Lionbridge acquired a digital agency called Darwin no too long ago, which has propelled Lionbridge's digital/emotive marketing area.

Lionbridge also offers good flexibility to work from home.

Cons

Not many that I can think of. The benefits are standard with good time off. Corporate office is very nice, but can be quiet at times.

Advice to Management

Continue to innovate.

"Good"

I have been working at Lionbridge full-time

Pros

5 years employed by Lionbridge china and Lionbridge US, good company

Cons

not much opportunities,not much sharp techs

"So glad I found this!"

Current Employee - Ad Evaluator
    Current Employee - Ad Evaluator

I have been working at Lionbridge part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy extra cash. I set my own hours to do it. Earn about 500$ every 2 weeks. Its a nice part time job. Its easy to do this if u have another job. Not sure why people dont do well because it is very simple work. Pay is 12.50 an hour. You also get benefits. Plus you work from home!

Cons

Wish i could do more than 20 hours a week but this was listed as a part time job.

Advice to Management

Offer more hours.

"Great flexibility"

Current Employee - Rater

I have been working at Lionbridge part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I get to choose when and where I want to work, 20-24 hours/week. Paid $14/hour every other Friday.
    Some tasks are interesting.

Cons

Sometimes the tasks are lame. Often tasks take longer than the "average" completion time goal. I have received 5 emails that I am not meeting my productivity goals based on average completion time. I asked for suggestions, but only received form letter advice to release tasks if the completion time is insufficient. I have asked for more info about time averages and suggestions, but received no reply.

Advice to Management

Please make productivity expectations transparent! How are they calculate? Am I improving or worsening? Do they calculate productivity on all tasks? Any information, suggestions, etc. would be very helpful.

"It was good until the end..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I worked at Lionbridge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Good work/life balance
    - Good working environment. Office was renovated back in 2014.

Cons

Everyone that has left has significantly increased their compensation (speaking for myself I did 25% in base alone and also rec'd equity grants). The biggest gripes I have is when Lionbridge was sold to HIG. All of the executives/upper management cashed in big time for a company whose best way of generating operating cash flow was via restructuring (offices, employees, etc.). All of their unvested stock became 100% vested including performance shares, which at the time had significant forfeiture percentanges due to lack of performance metrics being attained. They also accrued 100% of their bonus plans and in the end a lot of folks got nothing. Needless to say, after these events I looked for a new position and am happy with my decision. This review may sound similar to "boo-whoo", but I was not the only employee who felt this way.

Advice to Management

I know most of the management has turned over (CEO, CFO, COO and other VPs), but your commission plans have been out of whack for years and your bonus structure is not existent. Every recruiter I spoke with was pretty shocked that I was not on a bonus plan. I am not sure the culture now, but I have heard enough about the disarray to affirm my decision in leaving.

"Working from home is great!"

Current Employee - Internet Assessor
    Current Employee - Internet Assessor

I have been working at Lionbridge part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at home
    Setting your own schedule
    Non-phone work
    Pay is good

Cons

Only being able to work part-time

Advice to Management

I think you're doing great!

"The best job you can ask for"

Current Employee - Rater

I have been working at Lionbridge part-time

Pros

You work on your own schedule
    You decide how many hours you work within a set range (as a part timer, no idea about full time)
    Work from home
    Bi-weekly direct deposit that reliably hits every other Friday
    2 hours of paid training a month
    The work is pleasant, almost fun
    Monthly feedback
    Very little pressure, there is a level of subjectivity to the job and the company recognizes that
    Reasonably fast support
    Decent variety of tasks

The pay is close to the highest I can find for this kind of work, especially part time. I have friends with similar positions in other companies and I'm amazed how much less than me they make per hour. The pay is beyond competitive.

Cons

There seems to be full time work from home positions but there doesn't seem to be any way to learn how to get in to them for part timers.

Advice to Management

You have an amazing company to work at, a little bit of transparency so workers can have some idea on how to advance in the company would really motivate me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Lionbridge Response

Oct 26, 2017

Thank you for your comments. We are making improvements to our career site in order to increase transparency and employee communication. - CEO Lionbridge

"Better now"

Current Employee - Rater

I have been working at Lionbridge part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They've made us employees not contractors. They finally pay us for training and upped our pay a little. Work is flexible with no human interaction. Response from staff is improving.

Cons

Concepts of the job can be difficult to keep up with and there is a steep learning curve to figure out the guidelines. The guidelines change often. It can still be a little hard to get someone to help you with problems. Once in awhile there are long dry spells with little work to be had. Work can get tedious and mind numbing.

Advice to Management

Thanks for fixing everything I mentioned as a change in the Pros part. I was about to quit due to all of that. Be more responsive to employee emails.

"Website evaluator"

I worked at Lionbridge part-time

Pros

Flexible scheduling, good pay for the type of job that it is, ongoing/continuing education.

Cons

Very rigid standards for assessments that are opinion-based. They want your opinion on search results, but your opinion must fall in line with what they think is correct. You are only allotted a certain amount of time for each task, so if it takes longer, you don't get paid for that time.

Advice to Management

Make standards more black and white. There are too many grey areas. Someone's opinion cannot be wrong.

10. "Lionbridge"

I worked at Lionbridge full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people, no politics, nice location, flexible and good benefits

Cons

no investment in people - pay or training

Showing 793 of 1,006 reviews