Lionbridge Reviews | Glassdoor

Lionbridge Reviews

Updated May 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Lionbridge also offers good flexibility to work from home (in 142 reviews)

• Good work/life balance, nice environment (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits, no changes in salary (in 25 reviews)

• There are no pay increases or options to move into a different role (in 21 reviews)

1. "Tech III"

Current Employee - Technician III in Corvallis, OR
    Current Employee - Technician III in Corvallis, OR

Pros

Client is good to work for, interesting work. Clients Engineers are great to work with. That is the only reason I am still working here.

Cons

Always issues between how Lionbridge manages and how the client manages.. butting heads. No raises, bonus, etc.. the only way to make more money is to move to a higher position, or have your job re-scoped. Management is Top Heavy. Client does hold the purse strings and Lionbridge bows to that.

Advice to Management

Proper incentives for advancement would curtail the high turn over. Create pay ranges for your employees to aspire to. We are not just warm bodies filling a spot.

2. "Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Lionbridge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-The company promotes from within
    -The managers really care about you
    -If an account is lost the manager will do everything they can to place you in another position
    -Great team environment

Cons

-Hard to get a raise pushed through corporate
    -Corporate steps take forever to jump through.

"Senior Logistics Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Nice & friendly people. For me at least they took you to lunch as meet and great the management, and staff.

Cons

Pay is okay. Micromanagement. Who's the actual boss issues and poor decisions of assigning actual manager vs workers. Management can be overbearing and provide unrealistic schedules for work efforts. Some infighting with sister division in Missouri. Unfortunately management assigns worker who are eager, but no substitute for either a mix of college with actual mechanical or electronic engineering or experience in either engineering areas.

"Don't apply to Lionbridge"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Lionbridge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Well, co-workers are a great bunch.

Cons

Everyone is hired on as an Operator 1 in a flex status. That means that if you come to work and there is no work that day they will pay you for half an hour of work and then send you home for the day. They can do that every day of the week if they want to. They will not tell you the day before if they will need you or not.
    In other words, sometimes Lionbridge is an employer in name only. Sometimes you get 40 hours of work a week. It's all at the discretion of the company.
    Furthermore, the head honcho doesn't care much about his workers. His first priority is to the company and getting the work done. He could care less if his workers have job satisfaction or even enough work, so long as the work assigned to his workers gets done.
    The final nail in the coffin is that there are almost no advancement opportunities. You have to work there and do an exemplary job for at least 1.5 years before you can move up even one rung on the ladder.
    In short, if you are looking for a good full time job with advancement opportunities, don't apply to Lionbridge. If you want a part time position or filler work, Lionbridge is great.

Advice to Management

Let your workers know how much work is coming up so they can make plans going forward. Promote good workers every 6 to 9 months so they can feel like they are learning and growing. Don't leave workers in the dark as to how much work there is to do in the future. Also, don't play favorites. Work ethics are more important than social contacts.

6. "Good pay"

Current Employee - Bilingual Tester in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Bilingual Tester in Boise, ID

Pros

Good pay, relaxed environment, easy going co-workers

Cons

Bad insurance, lack of promotions/raises

Advice to Management

You are driving your employees away because you ignore their suggestions and requests, put a little bit of effort in helping your employees.

"Shady company"

Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Lionbridge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lower management was personable and appreciative. Easy job. Hiring process for the project I was on was essentially non-existent so that is a plus for those that hate interviews (although it also seemed skeptical until you show up at the location they tell you and find out it is a legit job.)

Cons

Terrible HR from the day I started until almost 2 years later when I left. Initially it took them 6 weeks to my paycheck to me because of internal input errors. My address was correct in one place but not the other. I know others that have had similar experiences. Then there were more Payroll errors as I left too and they initially shorted me approximately $800. I did eventually get all the money that they owed me, but I had to check in with them. The organization themselves seems really shady and that they do not care at all about their employees. Our project essentially got pushed out because they did not want to give any benefits to people that have worked for them for multiple years. There was also very little potential for growth and the job was very rote and did not require a lot of skill. The environment in my office was often one of depressed resignation. Perhaps other projects are better because I know that ours did have a unique dynamic at play... However, doubt it. I think there are too many things going on for this company and it creates a lot of mismanagement of resources and talent.

Advice to Management

Invest in your Human Resources. It can take you a long way. Also treat your employees well and they will be way more productive.

"Good, but not too long"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA

I worked at Lionbridge (More than a year)

Pros

Global scale & large opportunity pool, and have variety of choices

Cons

Once you reach certain level, it's difficult to advance your career

"BDD"

Current Employee - Business Development Director in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Business Development Director in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Lionbridge (More than a year)

Pros

Team work is so evident at Lionbridge, as long as you are on the right team.
    Work from home is convenient.

Cons

Systems are out of date. Information is too hard to get. Management not thinking about changing/moving forward. We are always one step behind the completion. Comp plan changes every year to the advantage of the company. It seems to me they do everything in their power to pay as little as possible when it comes to commissions. Not fair at all. You can sell more your 2nd and plus years, but you make less in commissions.

Advice to Management

Culture is very difficult to change. Employee's will only be as loyal to you as you are to them.

10. "Linguist"

Former Employee - Linguist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Linguist in Washington, DC

I worked at Lionbridge full-time

Pros

- good colleagues
    - growth and development opportunities

Cons

- company's unwillingness to give salary raises
    - management was not always up to the task

Advice to Management

Do your best to listen to the employees. Make more activities to engage the employees and make them feel happy.

"Workfront Consultant: Unless Desperate, Think Twice"

Former Employee - Workfront Consultant in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Workfront Consultant in San Jose, CA

Pros

1. Working from home is an option.
    2. You will get to learn hands on, how not to run a company.
    3. You will have to learn how to create stress coping and mitigation strategies to deal with over zealous/aggressive leads.
    4. They will let you know what you need to do, why you are not smart enough to do what they do and how to act professionally. If you love comedy, jump on board.
    5. One of the two contract managers is legit. Awesome guy to work with. Very smart.
    6. The Global Program Manager is the man. One of the coolest guys I've ever met. I wish he was more involved. He could have saved the operation.
    6. You can apply for other jobs with your down time.

Cons

1. Constant power struggles.
    2. Forced to use old beaten paths. Management will tell you they are open to change to get you to join the company, but once you join they expect you to follow blindly.
    3. You are a metric. They only care that you hit the bottom line. You need to report time in 15 minute increments.
    4. You will be hired for one position, but be expected to work on anything and everything they assign you, even if it falls outside of your scope. Once again, you are nothing but a number.
    5. There is no trust.
    6. Yearly lay-offs. You are hired for a role they forecast. In my situation, there forecast was dead wrong. Remember contracting firms make money by staffing roles for partner companies. That being said, if they can create a need for a role that doesn't exist yet, they will. If their partner company buys into it, they make money off of you. If that company realizes, this new role isn't fully utilized, or needed, you will get laid off in a second.

Advice to Management

1. Keep doing what you are doing.
    2. Justification: Having 3/4 of your staff resign within the same month must mean you are doing something right.
    3. The professionalism speeches are great, definitely keep giving them.
    4. Stop telling your team you are going to push back and get their workload reduced. We heard that over and over again, yet the workload only increased. 60 hour work weeks were a norm. Having team members take unplanned vacations for being burnt out is never a good sign.
    5. Build some sort of team building activity into the budget. You guys really need it. There is no shared vision. Everyone was out for each other. Awful environment.
    6. Don't hire leaders and innovators if you want drones. Don't hire business professionals and tell them how to do what they specialize in, when it is not your field of expertise. If you want to tell someone what you want them to do, hire entry level candidates.
    7. Do not create an actionable plan and then do nothing for a month. Stuff like that will make employees feel unappreciated and justify them leaving for another role, since it is obvious the company does not care about them. If you are worried about employee retention, start with the basics.
    8. Thank you for treating me as you did. I am in a way better position and finally happy when I go to work. When interviewing, I knew what to look for and what to avoid. Cheers.