Lionbridge Reviews in Waltham, MA | Glassdoor

3.1
Lionbridge CEO and President John Fennelly
John Fennelly

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Lionbridge also offers good flexibility to work from home (in 157 reviews)

• Good work/life balance, nice environment (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits, no changes in salary (in 28 reviews)

• No pay increases or bonuses based on performance (in 22 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Exciting time to be at Lionbridge."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Lionbridge full-time

Pros

Lionbridge is a truly global company. There is a high level of transparency at Lionbridge - even though there are over 6,000 employees, the company communicates promotions and new hires. In addition, from a culture perspective, there was recently a meditation class (we even had a really fun super bowl party!). The employees here are all very friendly and helpful. Honestly, before I interviewed here, I was taken back by some of the poor reviews; however, I realize now that many of them are from contractors who work part-time from home who do translation work (vs. FT employees of Lionbridge). Lionbridge has brought in some new leaders who are eager to bring change to the company - and the company is hungry for it, too.

I wasn't too aware of Lionbridge prior to interviewing here, but now that I'm here, it's a pretty cool company that has grown organically and via acquisition. Lionbridge acquired a digital agency called Darwin no too long ago, which has propelled Lionbridge's digital/emotive marketing area.

Lionbridge also offers good flexibility to work from home.

Cons

Not many that I can think of. The benefits are standard with good time off. Corporate office is very nice, but can be quiet at times.

Advice to Management

Continue to innovate.

"Work at Home, FOR REAL."

Current Employee - Technical Writer/Editor in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Technical Writer/Editor in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Lionbridge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Real work at home. The direct deposit never bounces. So far, two+ years worth of work.

Cons

Could get annual COL increases and merit raises, but we haven't.

3. "Lionbridge onDemand: Online Sales"

Current Employee - Online Sales in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Online Sales in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Lionbridge full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

exciting environment
    great teamwork and culture
    hard work that yields results is rewarded
    commitment to customers
    visibility in the company
    stable industry
    growth potential
    Incentive programs
    new, better commission structure
    Management is readily available for help

Cons

Selling in general is a difficult, 24/7 profession
    long sales cycles sometimes

Advice to Management

I just want to comment on the previous negative comments made about this position. Lionbridge onDemand hires a lot of young, fresh grads who are given the chance to make something of themselves in a sales career very early on in their professional lives. This is not a common opportunity. Unfortunately, if you don't work very hard, don't listen to your manager, and only care about how much PTO you have and what reality TV show is playing tonight, you aren't going to enjoy your experience here, you aren't going to do well, and you aren't going to get along with those that put in a lot of effort and are successful. This is sales. This isn't Candyland. This is the real corporate world and if you aren't willing to put your dues in and really work for the pay grade you so desperately want at the tender age of 23, then it isn't going to be dropped in your lap and no one is going to do the job for you. It is really unfortunate that disgruntled employees who don't have the work ethic or skill set to be successful in sales come here and blame it on the company who wanted to take a chance on them. Sales isn't for everyone and that's fine, but don't criticize others who tried to help you for it.

"Depends on the office"

Current Contractor - Independent Contractor in Waltham, MA
    Current Contractor - Independent Contractor in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Lionbridge as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

They pay reliably. The pros and cons depend on the office. I've worked with some nice, professional people, and done some reasonable projects that were well-paid. I basically give the company a neutral rating due to both good and bad experiences.

Cons

They pay slowly, for contractors at Net 60 + a few days for CCH - but they do always pay. This is a painfully decentralized company - there's no consistency between offices, in my experience. The first office I worked with is always hiring and training new staff, but the training and training materials are very weak, the task is nearly impossible due to bizarre, Byzantine, constantly-changing guidelines - so the people often quit or are fired. They never see the big picture - that if their turnover is extremely high, at a certain point, they have to see it's their failure to train and nurture, not the employee's or contractor's incompetence. I've been a Human Resources manager, a people manager, and a project manager -back when I had "regular" office jobs and I know you can't expect people to hit a constantly moving target, or stay motivated, without support and praise.

Advice to Management

Management training is desperately needed. Not only for the benefit of employees, but because offices running on chaos don't keep clients. The corporation needs to get more involved in looking at the efficiency of satellite offices and their management staff.

"Ad Assessor - Your opinions don't matter!"

Former Employee - Ad Assessor in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Ad Assessor in Waltham, MA

I worked at Lionbridge part-time (More than a year)

Pros

For a work at home job, the pay is pretty good, but that is where the positives end!

Cons

While the judgment process has rules, many of your choices are a matter of opinion, especially as to whether or not one thing vaguely relates to another. In the end, that ends up being your view versus that of the person who wrote the "practice query". With that aside, there have been plenty of times that I followed the rules to the point and was told my answer was incorrect. The job is far more frustrating than the pay is worth, and you will find yourself only able to work 10-15 minutes straight before needing to take a break. If you can somehow avoid your own human tendencies to use common sense and logic, then maybe this job is for you! Let's not forget, there is ZERO room for advancement, and since you are an independent contractor, when the contract ends, so does your money!

Advice to Management

Make the pay bi-weekly instead of once a month (you actually have to wait nearly 2 1/2 months for your FIRST paycheck!), then maybe your employees will feel some kind of incentive to perform more like robots and less like human beings!

"Summary of 4 year experience"

Former Employee - Global Program Manager in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Global Program Manager in Waltham, MA

I worked at Lionbridge (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some flexibility in work location, good work/life balance, minimal supervision

Cons

low salary, no career progression, stagnant revenues

Advice to Management

Develop a better business strategy, and invest in your people

"DON'T WORK AT ONDEMAND"

Former Employee - Online Sales Representative in Waltham, MA

I worked at Lionbridge full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The staff is young.
    Snacks are free.

Cons

This place is miserable. Management is oblivious to their favoritism, as well as the most unqualified people are managing teams. IF you have a pretty face or curvy waist, you will succeed here. IF you are willing to be walked over and made to feel small, this job is for you.

My former manager admitted to breaking down multiple times in the bathroom because of how bad upper management mistreats the staff. This place is hands down the most miserable place to work, you will never be valued unless you fall under the categories mentioned above.

Advice to Management

Don't make people managers, when they entirely rely on upper management on how to manage their teams. Also, get rid of upper management. The blind can't lead the blind.

"A joke."

Current Employee - Online Sales Representative in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Online Sales Representative in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Lionbridge full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's very easy to get a job as an Online Sales Representative because they're desperate for people.

Cons

It's very easy to get this job because it's a revolving door on the Online sales floor. After working under the current VP for even a few weeks you'll begin to regret your decision to begin your employment at this terrible company. The commission structure is .5% to 2% which is VERY low but keep in mind the product your selling is 20 cents... So if you couldn't do that math here it is: the commission is embarrassing. Sales Representatives maintain the full sales cycle and are bamboozled into thinking this makes them experienced however what they're selling is a glorified Amazon ecommerce platform, only they have to cold call in order to get anyone to use it. Absolutely terrible career growth, terrible management that micro manages down to the minute you arrive to work and the minute you leave. No one is treated like an adult.

Advice to Management

Shut down on demand and continue to let the BDDs have success.

9. "Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Lionbridge full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

World-class language services. Cutting-edge, revolutionary technology that separates Lionbridge from the competitors. Great work/life balance. Strong management team focused on growth, profitability and market competitiveness. Solid pay and benefits.

Cons

No cons to list for Lionbridge.

Advice to Management

Continue our focus on growth and profitability, expand key growth segments of our business to maximize market share and to enter new markets.

"Ondemand Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Online Sales Representative in Waltham, MA

I worked at Lionbridge full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-young employees
    -snacks provided for free

Cons

-terrible management
    -extreme favoritism not based on merit
    -unrealistic quotas and awful commission structure
    -promote employees based on who the VP likes. even promoted reps to management positions when they didnt meet quota
    -no clear cut territories thus VP gives inbound leads to who ever he feels like
    -management brings personal problems into the office and takes it out on employees

Advice to Management

leave. this part of the company will NEVER grow and prosper under the current management.