Lionsgate Reviews in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

3.6
Lionsgate Co-Chairman and CEO Jon Feltheimer
Jon Feltheimer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I learned a lot during my internship (in 10 reviews)

• Great people and a variety of projects to work on (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work-life balance at times (in 6 reviews)

• low pay - growth depends on luck of your department growing - could get stuck (in 9 reviews)

1. "Great staff and moderate workload"

Current Intern - A/V Creative Services in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Intern - A/V Creative Services in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Lionsgate as an intern

Pros

The people here are treated well and are very sociable. If you're looking to learn then this is the place for you. Asking questions is never looked down upon and the expectation on interns is realistic without babying-- though dependent on department.

Cons

During Fall/Winter the position is part-time only. Intern position available up until 6-months after graduation. Pay is not livable when combined with part-time hours.

Advice to Management

Allow recent graduates the ability to work full-time or increase wages.

2. "Lionsgate"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Lionsgate full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Relatively small studio, easy to gain exposure across departments and to executives. With the right commitment, there’s plenty opportunity to grow within the company.

Cons

The office is extremely crowded, little to no personal space for employees. Offices are intended for SVPs and above. Pay tends to be lower than other studios. Employee perks are pretty basic.

Advice to Management

True up pay with other studios (though I believe there was an initiative to do with when I left), reward employees by engaging them in more studio events, e.g. premieres, happy hours, budget for department team building events/retreats.

3. "it's alright"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Lionsgate part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-friendly environment
    -great benefits
    -lots of activities for employees to be part of
    -screenings

Cons

-low pay compared to other studios
    -not much diversity in higher positions
    -work overload for little compensation

Advice to Management

so many millions spent on marketing movies and stuff, try and spend some more on employees and recognize all the work they do with more bonuses.

"Lots of work to be done with opportunities for growth"

Current Employee - Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Lionsgate full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits package, discounts, perks. Employees of all levels get the opportunity to work on projects and work with higher-ups. Multiple performance convos per year to hold employees and supervisors accountable on goals and intentions. Tools for success are available for those that want/ask for it.

Cons

It can feel like headcount hasn't been able to catch up with changes and acquisitions. It's an exciting place to work but is very fast paced and new hires seem to be thrown right in. There is way more to learn about the company than can fit into a single day / hour. Would love ongoing education and training opportunities for entry to mid-level employees.

Advice to Management

Recognize that employees are working long hours and that will not change but the company can help improve the experience. Consider flex time, telecommuting opportunities, additional vacation accruals, or stock kitchens with healthy snacks / food in office to show support for those that put in the long hours day after day.

"Marketing Manager"

Current Employee - Brand Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Brand Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Lionsgate full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Access to c-level executives, endless opportunities to learn and grow as the company grows, stellar colleagues, great benefits, Summer Friday half days (huge plus), tuition reimbursement. Overall, Lionsgate is a very special place that affords unique opportunities to work on high-level projects and gain invaluable experience. The company has a fantastic reputation and people typically say working here is like earning a mini MBA.

Cons

Many people over here are overworked, Lionsgate has outgrown itself in many ways including processes that make it difficult to get the job done. (e.g. booking travel is a complete nightmare.)

Pay is still way below the talent market so I see colleagues get poached from competitors on a regular basis, which is a shame. I've seen 5 people leave in the past month alone and I have competitors reaching out to me 3-4 times a year for opportunities that pay at least 20K more. I have amazing relationships with my boss and mentors here and continue to learn a ton, which is why I continue to stay. This becomes more of a struggle each passing year. You really have to know your value and fight for yourself here.

Advice to Management

To procure and maintain top talent, you have to pay top talent market rates. If you want to compete with competing studios, you have to take a serious look at pay rates and make adjustments accordingly. I cannot stress enough how important it is to make the employees feel valued and to pay them what they are worth. Please keep doing things like Summer Fridays and I suggest instituting policies that encourage telecommuting. Even little perks that cost no money would go a LONG way. The company culture in general has improved and I am optimistic things will continue to improve.

"Vice President, Business Affairs"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Lionsgate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

entrepreneurial environment, aggressive business environment, tons of really smart and savvy executives, strong distribution, television and film businesses and competitive atmosphere

Cons

Not a lot of internal synergy between departments

Advice to Management

Exert strong leadership and protect your junior execs from senior political battles

7. "Decent place to work"

Current Employee - Publicity and Promotions Coordinator in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Publicity and Promotions Coordinator in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Lionsgate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn - many opportunities given
    Great people
    Lots of room for growth and improvement

Cons

Often times over-worked
    Poor work-life balance at times
    Poor pay

Advice to Management

Better compensation

8. "Decent company with little growth"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Lionsgate part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice, laid back atmosphere. Friendly group of people to work with.

Cons

People tend to stay at thier jobs for a long time. Many executive positions, with little opportunities for lower level employees to move up.

"Lionsgate is a stellar company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Lionsgate full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Department was packed with new projects. People were very friendly. If you can find a way to add value to your position, you can move up quickly.

Cons

The pay is low but industry standard. Room to grow but takes a lot of time to move up. People stay in the same position for 2+ years before new opportunity presents itself naturally.

10. "Great!"

Current Employee - Intern in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Experience and overall involvement is great and makes me sure that I want to be in this industry. It is what you make it but it is not hard to get involved. Accommodate for interns very easily.

Cons

Not very much to say here besides maybe the cold temperature in the office. But really, bring a jacket if you get cold often because it's freezing in the office.