Lionsgate Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Lionsgate Co-Chairman and CEO Jon Feltheimer
Jon Feltheimer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I learned a lot during my internship (in 10 reviews)

• Great people and a variety of projects to work on (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work-life balance at times (in 6 reviews)

• low pay - growth depends on luck of your department growing - could get stuck (in 9 reviews)

"Tribeca Shortlist - A Mess"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Lionsgate (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, great HR dept.

Cons

Fear-based operation. CEO does not communicate to team. Middle management hires based on fear and not experience - hires wrong people for the jobs. Huge power grabs by middle management happening because CEO is so ineffective. Eight women in both upper and lower management either quit or were laid off in less than a one year time period. No one in upper management is inspiring or has true self-less leadership abilities. For a start up, operates like an old person with dementia, so afraid to experiment and create new business opportunities. Silo work style.

Advice to Management

Hustle. Talk to employees more than once a week. Take management classes and learn new ways to communicate. Operate more like a start up and less like a company. Inspire people away from the negativity. Have an open door policy for inter-personal problems. Stop hiring crazy people. Take chances with the product, experiment.

"Meh in every sense"

Current Employee - Director in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Lionsgate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good networking, good on your resume, decent vacation and holidays, free parking, casual dress, free movie screenings, annual community service day

Cons

Lionsgate is meh. The movies and tv shows are meh (brainless entertainment). The pay is meh. The office is meh (white walls and fluorescent lights everywhere). The people are meh (good at their job but not good enough to work somewhere else). Employee perks are meh (free movie screenings after its in theaters, one holiday party per year, bagels once a month, free coffee).

Advice to Management

Give employees a reason to be excited to come to work.

"Great Opportunity, Poor Compensation"

Pros

Lionsgate is a great place to learn because they're smaller and less rigid with their delegation of responsibilities. If you earn the trust of your supervisor, it's possible to take on more work. It's all department-specific as no two departments operate the same. Benefits are good and other employees tend to be friendly and great to work with.

Cons

One of the biggest drawbacks at Lionsgate (and what you'll find is a shared opinion amongst all that are below VP level) is that the amount of compensation is nowhere near industry standard, especially for the amount of work. Lionsgate is VERY top-heavy when it comes to pay. At this point in time, May 2016, the company has gone through budget-tightening and that means promotions and pay increases were stripped from employees at the beginning of the fiscal year. We even cut back on paper cups and validating visitor parking. Yet, we still get emails with press releases celebrating the newest VP promoted to EVP or company investments into redundant/ill-conceived projects. It's disheartening when you struggle to pay rent and have stacking bills to see the accolades and praise sprinkled at the top with no recognition of those of us in the shadows who, if absent, would make this company come to a grinding halt. It's no wonder that lower-level employees seek jobs elsewhere after 1 to 2 years.

Advice to Management

Pay your workers better and maybe they'll stay. Pay your workers better and maybe they'll be motivated to work harder for this company. Pay your workers better and maybe they can focus more on work rather than how they're going to make rent next month. The small studio excuse doesn't work when Jon's total compensation is more than Bob Iger's.

Lionsgate Response

May 24, 2016

Thank you for the feedback. . A few points to clarify – Along with other leading employers in Santa Monica, we are focusing on reducing our carbon footprint and have made coffee mugs and other... More

"Slow Moving"

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

Pros

Supportive direct management
    Central location
    Nice coffee machine

Cons

Slow upward movement
    Limited budget, limited resources

Advice to Management

Investing more in a product would get better results

"Greediest Management Around"

Current Employee - Assistant in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Lionsgate (Less than a year)

Pros

Good franchises and television work. There are good people at the bottom and in many areas of lionsgate too though senior management spoils it for the rest.

Cons

The Trickle down management style only works when your CEO is a good person, which he isn't

Advice to Management

Kick Felt out and things will get better

"Not all Bad, but the Bad was Very Bad"

Current Employee - Assistant in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Great location in Santa Monica with a water garden and plenty of restaurants. Some nice people who were very generous and helpful. I really liked some people there.

Cons

Well, when one exec. wasn't telling me that I need to read the Bible so that I can understand the importance of being married and what it teaches you about thinking about other people first instead of just myself and that would be how I could improve as an assistant, I was shamed for being too fat, too poor to afford a car or at least a nice bicycle, and being a victim of my public school education by the others. I guess UCLA is a public school after all... Also, a lot of casual racism I didn't expect, such as when some lovely people discussed how ridiculous this Mexican Wedding they saw in Griffith Park was. Oh, they could not even imagine! I guess looking white, but being half Mexican threw them off their gaurd. Maybe those people are gone now. I gave up hope about 6 months in. Wasn't all bad, but those moments do stick out.

Advice to Management

Don't tell people to read the Bible. Don't tell people they should learn to balance a check book or that I shouldn't get a haircut every 6-8 weeks if I want to not be so poor. Don't make fun of people's weight and don't tell me my bike is stupid if you know how much I am getting paid.

"lionsgate"

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

smaller studio, more agile, growing

Cons

very old-school Hollywood structure, very top-down management style, level of talent is pretty low overall due to low salaries

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Lionsgate full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great environment to learn, or get access to executive management that you would likely never access to at a large studio

Cons

The culture is absolutly awful. Overinflated titles and egos. B-level talent managment tends to hire c-level talent subordiantes in an effort to make themselves seem intellegent.

Advice to Management

Fire everyone. Start from scratch.

9. "Lots of "Indians" and not enough "Chiefs""

I worked at Lionsgate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hard-working people. Does not have the feel of a large studio.

Cons

There were a lot of underperformers.

Advice to Management

Hire more people who are familiar with the business segment they work in.

10. "Inflated titles in finance and accounting"

Former Employee - Director in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Lionsgate full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Public company that is growing by acquisition.

Cons

Too many chiefs, need to cut fat in acctg and tax

Advice to Management

Hire new CAO