Lionsgate Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Lionsgate Co-Chairman and CEO Jon Feltheimer
Jon Feltheimer

Pros
  • Great people and a variety of projects to work on (in 9 reviews)

• you will learn a LOT, and most of the company is based out of the same office so lots of people to meet and talk to (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, low pay, a lot of favoritism (in 11 reviews)

• Poor work-life balance at times (in 6 reviews)

"Tribeca Shortlist - A Mess"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Lionsgate (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, great HR dept.

Cons

Fear-based operation. CEO does not communicate to team. Middle management hires based on fear and not experience - hires wrong people for the jobs. Huge power grabs by middle management happening because CEO is so ineffective. Eight women in both upper and lower management either quit or were laid off in less than a one year time period. No one in upper management is inspiring or has true self-less leadership abilities. For a start up, operates like an old person with dementia, so afraid to experiment and create new business opportunities. Silo work style.

Advice to Management

Hustle. Talk to employees more than once a week. Take management classes and learn new ways to communicate. Operate more like a start up and less like a company. Inspire people away from the negativity. Have an open door policy for inter-personal problems. Stop hiring crazy people. Take chances with the product, experiment.

"Meh in every sense"

Current Employee - Director in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Lionsgate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good networking, good on your resume, decent vacation and holidays, free parking, casual dress, free movie screenings, annual community service day

Cons

Lionsgate is meh. The movies and tv shows are meh (brainless entertainment). The pay is meh. The office is meh (white walls and fluorescent lights everywhere). The people are meh (good at their job but not good enough to work somewhere else). Employee perks are meh (free movie screenings after its in theaters, one holiday party per year, bagels once a month, free coffee).

Advice to Management

Give employees a reason to be excited to come to work.

"Greediest Management Around"

Current Employee - Assistant in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Lionsgate (Less than a year)

Pros

Good franchises and television work. There are good people at the bottom and in many areas of lionsgate too though senior management spoils it for the rest.

Cons

The Trickle down management style only works when your CEO is a good person, which he isn't

Advice to Management

Kick Felt out and things will get better

"Not all Bad, but the Bad was Very Bad"

Current Employee - Assistant in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Great location in Santa Monica with a water garden and plenty of restaurants. Some nice people who were very generous and helpful. I really liked some people there.

Cons

Well, when one exec. wasn't telling me that I need to read the Bible so that I can understand the importance of being married and what it teaches you about thinking about other people first instead of just myself and that would be how I could improve as an assistant, I was shamed for being too fat, too poor to afford a car or at least a nice bicycle, and being a victim of my public school education by the others. I guess UCLA is a public school after all... Also, a lot of casual racism I didn't expect, such as when some lovely people discussed how ridiculous this Mexican Wedding they saw in Griffith Park was. Oh, they could not even imagine! I guess looking white, but being half Mexican threw them off their gaurd. Maybe those people are gone now. I gave up hope about 6 months in. Wasn't all bad, but those moments do stick out.

Advice to Management

Don't tell people to read the Bible. Don't tell people they should learn to balance a check book or that I shouldn't get a haircut every 6-8 weeks if I want to not be so poor. Don't make fun of people's weight and don't tell me my bike is stupid if you know how much I am getting paid.

"lionsgate"

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

smaller studio, more agile, growing

Cons

very old-school Hollywood structure, very top-down management style, level of talent is pretty low overall due to low salaries

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Lionsgate full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great environment to learn, or get access to executive management that you would likely never access to at a large studio

Cons

The culture is absolutly awful. Overinflated titles and egos. B-level talent managment tends to hire c-level talent subordiantes in an effort to make themselves seem intellegent.

Advice to Management

Fire everyone. Start from scratch.

8. "Inflated titles in finance and accounting"

Former Employee - Director in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Lionsgate full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Public company that is growing by acquisition.

Cons

Too many chiefs, need to cut fat in acctg and tax

Advice to Management

Hire new CAO

"Politics and No communication"

Current Employee - Coordinator in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Wonderful location. If you get in a good department with good people you will enjoy yourself for a while.

Cons

Capitalism at it's finest. Upper management doesn't care about anything but themselves. They are constantly giving each other praises and bonuses while pay raises and promotions take years to get through the pipeline

Advice to Management

Stop greasing your pockets and make a good movie and share the wealth. You aren't really worth 66 assistant's salaries.

"A stepping-stone company...not a career."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

You can gain a lot of experience at Lionsgate.

Cons

There is little opportunity to grow and the longer you work, the less you are rewarded and the more you are pigeon-holed in to your duties.

Advice to Management

Too much to mention in a short review...

"Learn as much as you can and move on to other places that value you and pay you well."

Current Employee - Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Lionsgate is a good place to start and learn the business. You get hands on experience with many facets of the business. Depending on department, you can modify your work hours and you can work from home if you're trusted by your supervisor. You can make good connections for your career. It looks good on your resume.

Cons

Upper management has no respect for people under them. Pay is really lousy and by now about 50% below what everybody pays. Promotions and advancement is based on who you know and not how you work. The whole management of the company is complete chaos to hide people with VP titles that produce absolutely nothing. Nepotism is live and well here. Positions that become vacant are not replaced and instead the work load is distributed among people in the same department or to other departments. HR is completely inefficient and enlarges only their own department. People usually move on to other studios after 2 years.

Advice to Management

Clean your house of all the "dead wood" in your organization and maybe your stock will gain some power. Hire a consulting company and FOLLOW their recommendations. Hire competent managers who know how to lead and not your friends or the friends of your cousin's dog walker.