Lionsgate Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Lionsgate Co-Chairman and CEO Jon Feltheimer
Jon Feltheimer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I learned a lot during my internship (in 10 reviews)

• Great people and a variety of projects to work on (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work-life balance at times (in 6 reviews)

• low pay - growth depends on luck of your department growing - could get stuck (in 9 reviews)

1. "Good Place To Grow"

I have been working at Lionsgate full-time

Pros

Get to engage in projects well beyond your title

Cons

low pay - growth depends on luck of your department growing - could get stuck

2. "Upwards Mobility is limited at the company."

I worked at Lionsgate as an intern

Pros

I have interned with the company multiple times during my 4 years and college. I always felt that the higher-ups were incredibly brilliant and hardworking, but the supervisors they put in charge of the interns seem frustrated by the burden of having to take responsibility

Cons

I don't think the supervisors are the same quality as the top management. I feel like a lot of them have been stuck in the same role for a long period of time and are resentful and that resentfulness is transferred to whoever new walks in the door.

Advice to Management

Promote and increase pay for your mid level employees, and spend time cultivating and employing talented, qualified young individuals. Studios need fresh young thinking.

3. "Intern Review"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Lionsgate as an intern

Pros

-great location
    -interact with multiple departments

Cons

-rare to get hired after internship
    -incoming assistants only make 31,500 a year

Advice to Management

-pay assistants more

"Lots of work to be done with opportunities for growth"

Current Employee - Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Lionsgate full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits package, discounts, perks. Employees of all levels get the opportunity to work on projects and work with higher-ups. Multiple performance convos per year to hold employees and supervisors accountable on goals and intentions. Tools for success are available for those that want/ask for it.

Cons

It can feel like headcount hasn't been able to catch up with changes and acquisitions. It's an exciting place to work but is very fast paced and new hires seem to be thrown right in. There is way more to learn about the company than can fit into a single day / hour. Would love ongoing education and training opportunities for entry to mid-level employees.

Advice to Management

Recognize that employees are working long hours and that will not change but the company can help improve the experience. Consider flex time, telecommuting opportunities, additional vacation accruals, or stock kitchens with healthy snacks / food in office to show support for those that put in the long hours day after day.

"Marketing Manager"

Current Employee - Brand Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Brand Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Lionsgate full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Access to c-level executives, endless opportunities to learn and grow as the company grows, stellar colleagues, great benefits, Summer Friday half days (huge plus), tuition reimbursement. Overall, Lionsgate is a very special place that affords unique opportunities to work on high-level projects and gain invaluable experience. The company has a fantastic reputation and people typically say working here is like earning a mini MBA.

Cons

Many people over here are overworked, Lionsgate has outgrown itself in many ways including processes that make it difficult to get the job done. (e.g. booking travel is a complete nightmare.)

Pay is still way below the talent market so I see colleagues get poached from competitors on a regular basis, which is a shame. I've seen 5 people leave in the past month alone and I have competitors reaching out to me 3-4 times a year for opportunities that pay at least 20K more. I have amazing relationships with my boss and mentors here and continue to learn a ton, which is why I continue to stay. This becomes more of a struggle each passing year. You really have to know your value and fight for yourself here.

Advice to Management

To procure and maintain top talent, you have to pay top talent market rates. If you want to compete with competing studios, you have to take a serious look at pay rates and make adjustments accordingly. I cannot stress enough how important it is to make the employees feel valued and to pay them what they are worth. Please keep doing things like Summer Fridays and I suggest instituting policies that encourage telecommuting. Even little perks that cost no money would go a LONG way. The company culture in general has improved and I am optimistic things will continue to improve.

6. "Legal Intern"

I worked at Lionsgate as an intern

Pros

Culture, friendly, free food, movie screenings

Cons

salary, hard to get future employment

"Great Place"

I worked at Lionsgate full-time

Pros

Relatively smaller company means more visibility. Growing fast, opportunity to move up. Good leadership, great networking opportunity. Good people all around.

Cons

Unlike the other major studios the pay is lower than industry standard. Smaller teams and high volume usually mean overworked employees.

Advice to Management

If LGF wants to be recognized as a major studio then LGF needs to act like a major studio and pay competitive salaries to attract (and more importantly retain) talented employees. Great company overall, fantastic vision, great shows, films, etc. and a fun place to work.

8. "Internship"

I worked at Lionsgate as an intern

Pros

you will learn a LOT, and most of the company is based out of the same office so lots of people to meet and talk to. Many people are young and there are large groups of interns hired

Cons

not many interns are hired after the internship

9. "better than average"

Pros

slightly better pay than average
    big company

Cons

should pay more
    should have different rates

"Lionsgate is a stellar company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Lionsgate full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Department was packed with new projects. People were very friendly. If you can find a way to add value to your position, you can move up quickly.

Cons

The pay is low but industry standard. Room to grow but takes a lot of time to move up. People stay in the same position for 2+ years before new opportunity presents itself naturally.