Lipman Hearne Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Robert Moore

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Nice people and great clients"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Lipman Hearne full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work is great. Its so nice to do work that has meaning and value. I love my team and the agency is a nice place to work. Work/life balance is important to management and I really feel that management cares about the company and its people.

Cons

The current culture is so much improved over the years I've worked here. I know that new hires are very carefully considered, to make sure that they're a good fit--this really helps as colleagues are friends too.

Advice to Management

Lipman Hearne gets better all the time. Keep it up!

2. "Good Luck..."

Current Employee - Senior Digital Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Digital Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Lipman Hearne full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great teammates and personally fulfilling work. Client travel is usually enjoyable.

Cons

Management, management, management. Total disconnect between staff and management. The relationship between account managers and the creative team is almost untenable. If you enjoyed the drama of high school without the future potential, LH could be for you!

Advice to Management

So many things... transparency, consistency, background checks. Last year you hired a convicted sex offender. This person was in a role that had them interacting with college students. You only found out about the persons' history after another employee felt awkward around the new person and searched their name on Google.

"Could be a Great Place, But Isn't"

I worked at Lipman Hearne full-time

Pros

Attracts smart, thoughtful people
    Interesting clients
    Great location

Cons

Poorly managed; too many meetings with 10 people in the room; no training; no self-reflection on the part of leadership; lots of big personalities at the top running roughshod over junior staff and subverting client relationships
    No real opportunity for growth for junior people
    Work product not as good as old-timers in the company think it is

Advice to Management

Diversify the leadership team
    Invest in HR structures

"Company Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Smart, passionate, caring employees who believed and lived the mission of their company and their clients. Well-known leaders in the non-profit marketing arena.

Cons

Long hours, not a lot of training for new employees. They hired smart people who were somewhat left to find their own way. Upper management could not always agree on direction.

Advice to Management

There are a lot of stops and starts when looking for new ways to improve the agency, deliverables and product. Learn that change management starts at the top and stick with it.

"Seems nice, good work...but beware"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Lipman Hearne (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with interesting, fun and engaging people. The work is interesting if you like working in non-profit and with universities.
    Very nice office location, easy to get to and great neighborhood
    Was gradually given more responsibility and allowed to grow in my position

Cons

You will get no feedback, depending on where you work in this firm.
    You might get some feedback eventually, but it will be too late.
    A lot of young people don't know the business world and have no hesitation to throw you under the bus and stab you in the back.
    AEs travel a lot, never give you feedback, always to your boss, very frustrating communication.

Advice to Management

Open up your communication style and be more proactive. You lose good people because your high level managers believe it's their way only, to the point of losing clients. It felt like it would be great and I really liked my co-workers, but some managers can't or won't deliver bad news and it ends up being a cluster on a project. We're over-worked and need some guidance and support from those above. Leaving soon as I need work-life balance and more support.

"Great product/services, poor culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Lipman Hearne full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Products are well received by clients and marketing governing bodies. Lipman Hearne wins many awards for it's creative work and existing clients are often repeat customers. Working for nonprofits is generally fulfilling. Great office location with amazing views, casual get togethers, and a relaxed dress code.

Cons

On the client side, we're expensive and that gets in the way of doing more work (but we don't want to get paid less!). Cumbersome process of getting 10 people in the room to make decisions. Managers play many roles within the company meaning they aren't often available (though they try). A lot of processes are non existent or still getting figured out (it's gotten better but there's a lot more work that needs to be done). Some teams are cliquey, you need to fight for your raise and promotions (because NO one will approach you), and the benefits package is not great. While the talent is there, the people can be hard to deal with: some are rude, unreliable, emotional, and always act like everything is an emergency. There's high turnover among younger/junior staff.

Advice to Management

As a strategic communications firm, communicate to your staff better. That includes interview candidates (my interview was very long and I was left in the dark half the time). Please provide training. People are curious, want to learn, but there isn't a culture that supports this.

"Good overall company, nice employees."

Pros

Great people, ability to grow

Cons

Very unorganized, lot of turnover

8. "Lipman Hearne Review"

I worked at Lipman Hearne full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent marketing and communications company that serves the not-for-profit industry. Management very involved with their employees. and quite sensitive to work / life balance. Team oriented. Always aims for the highest end product. Have quite a few return clients.

Cons

I was with the company over 25 years. There are no cons that I can think of that are worth mentioning.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and best to you all.

9. "Great place to start out"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Lipman Hearne full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You do a little of everything. The people are very nice.

Cons

It is a fairly flat organization, without a clear path for growth.

Advice to Management

Top management is based in Chicago. Most resources go to that office, and it can be difficult to work in the DC office and argue for new hires, etc.

"A company that does great work, but needs to do great things for the people that work there."

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Chicago, IL

Pros

There is a lot of satisfaction in working for nonprofits and knowing that the work you are doing promotes their organizations. The staff of the organization is terrific. They work hard and they do top-notch work. The clients are great too. Again, there is a great deal of satisfaction in producing marketing material for organizations that are doing good things in their communities and beyond.

Cons

The management of the company needs to learn how to better treat their employees. There is a lot of turnover. People don't stay because they don't feel respected. I once heard a fellow staff-member being "dressed down" just outside my workspace by the head of the company.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to how you treat your employees. Treat them with the respect they deserve.