Lippincott Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Rick Wise

1. "Great firm going through growing pains"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Lippincott full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lippincott's been around for a very long time, and with that comes extensive leadership and experience in the industry (specifically brand strategy and design.) Folks at Lippincott are incredibly intelligent and driven, and push themselves and everyone around them further.

Cons

Like most creative agencies and consultancies, the company is evolving to keep up with client needs. With the convergence of business model disruption and innovation across industries, and the introduction of new global technologies – clients are feeling the pressure to change for their customers to meet new expectations, and Lippincott is definitely feeling the brunt of that (again, like all consultancies/agencies). It's a chain reaction that isn't the most pleasant – exciting yes, but a lot of change quickly can do more harm than good for culture.

Advice to Management

Be more honest, transparent and real about the change that is going on. It's a big deal, and many folks within the company haven't been at a company going through dramatic change. It's not what you say, it's what your employees hear.

"Commit to being better."

Former Employee - Creative Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Creative Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Lippincott full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great training ground if you know how to avoid all the pitfalls of a corrupt senior-level innovation team and if you can find the managers that actually wanna train their replacement. There are very few people at this place without an ego, but I learned a lot here.

Cons

This place literally throws the highest salaries to some of the least useful and untalented people there. More so on the strategy side. Plenty of highly paid mouth pieces to senior partners. Half of them take long trips to places where they lounge more than sell work. Promotions are slow and based on nothing but likability, favorites, gender, and race. Almost everyone at the top level is out-of-touch and quite frankly too old when it comes to modern creative.

Was called homeless twice here. Once by a senior associate, and once by a senior partner. Both in highly inappropriate contexts such as in a meeting in front of another colleague, and again simply in the morning because they felt like it.

What is worse is stories like these continue to appear on here, but they just continue sweeping it under the rug when they could actually decide to just be better and fix their toxic work culture and stop over compensating for falling behind in the industry.

Advice to Management

Put your eggs in the right basket (i.e., on skill sets you actually need to survive - DESIGN talent).

Promote and actually train younger talent quicker. Take junior people on the design side to more meetings offsite. Hire folks at the CD level who know more than the words design and innovation and can actually build the things you sell (Animation, digital experiences, etc). Diversify your client-facing workforce.

What happens when everyone at the top retires?

"Two thumbs up"

Current Employee - Strategy Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Strategy Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Lippincott full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ridiculously smart people. Interesting work. Intense yet fun culture. A highly competent leadership team with a sound strategy for the future of the firm. Performance is rewarded with promotions and higher than average industry compensation.

It's a time of change at the firm. Lippincott's shifting it's strategy, which means new capabilities are needed. Some are frightened by this. Others view it as an exciting opportunity.

I honestly love this job. Lippincott is a great firm with great people.

Cons

Culture can be dependent on the team and partner you're working with. There are many partners and senior partners who are exceptional leaders and managers, and others who are not. However, the risk of being stuck with a sub par manager is balanced by the fact that any one person is usually staffed to multiple projects at a time. Work life balance is dependent on workload (as with any consulting job). If you don't want to work hard and challenge yourself, don't join Lippincott.

Advice to Management

continue to adapt lippincott's offerings and capabilities to remain relevant and support firm growth as the industry evolve

"Don’t be deceived by good external branding..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

- Working alongside smart people on projects with high visibility
    - Impressive collection of past clients

Cons

- High school politics: Lippincott likes to bill itself as having an open, inviting culture, and it does…if you’re “in.” If you deviate at all from the extremely Type A cookie-cutter personality that they prize, or if you commit the cardinal sin of socializing primarily with people who aren’t from Lipp, at best you can expect a holiday party “award” about your “weird” habit…at worst, a formal criticism suggesting you need to engage more with your team outside the office.
    - Indifference to sexism, both subtle and overt: In my time there, I personally experienced inappropriate contact from senior male employees in the office (in full view of a senior partner who laughed along) and at company-wide social gatherings. When I raised concerns, they were met with apologist “that’s just the way it is” attitudes and handwringing.
    - Rumor mill: Reviews are structured in a way that mirrors sorority recruitment—pictures are flashed on a screen and the (majority male) partners and senior partners discuss everything from rumors they’ve heard about you to your actual work. With regards to the former, there is never a shortage of gossip swirling around the office. A sampling of greatest hits includes repeated suggestions of internal relationships, affairs among the C-suite, and one instance when a senior male employee went out of his way to insinuate that new first year analysts (all female) had been exotic dancers.
    - Limited or no mentorship: Though there are some good ones, many managers are too busy (or in some cases, unwilling) to review work with junior team members. Frequently, junior staff are assigned advisors who live in different cities, which significantly cuts down on opportunities to meet and communicate, let alone built a relationship supportive of mentorship or advocacy.

Advice to Management

- I find it deeply troubling that a company looking to help “businesses succeed on the edge of change” has such a profoundly backwards attitude towards sexism, even tolerating instances that rise to the level of predatory behavior. As a branding consultancy, it boggles my mind that no one in a senior position has stood up to ask if that’s really what this firm wants to stand for. It’s time to listen to—and more importantly, to respect your people.

6. "Partner"

Current Employee - Partner in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Partner in New York, NY

I have been working at Lippincott full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent clients
    Smart, passionate colleagues
    Career growth opportunities
    Great mix of strategy and creativity

Cons

Hours can be long
    Quick growth may put pressure on culture

Advice to Management

Continue to strengthen employee rewards and value prop (including work-life balance)

7. "Great company. Excellent people."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Lippincott (More than 5 years)

Pros

I came to Lippincott thinking I would be here a couple of years. I've been here double that time and it's because I've been given the opportunity and support to grow and expand my role as a reward for the hard work I've put in. If you excel at your job at Lippincott, you will be rewarded.

The people at Lippincott are smart, kind, generous, passionate and dedicated to delivering excellent work. They aim to make their clients happy. I feel lucky to be surrounded by these individuals every day. Leadership does actually care about the people who work here and work hard to balance the bottom line and employee well-being. They know that what makes Lippincott successful is their people.

Cons

There can sometimes be a lack of transparency and communications can be better. That said, it's improved significantly in the time I've been here. Some management can be "old school" in the way they think.

Lippincott has to hit budgets set by the parent company which ultimately pushes us to grow year over year and be profitable. This can lead to overstretching of staff and also added stress when things are not on the up and up.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep your people front and center. They are what makes this company great!

8. "Senior Associate, San Francisco"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lippincott full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love my job, the people, and the company. It's creative, challenging work and I get to work with some of the most talented and generous people I've ever met. We are passionate about our work and helping organizations achieve their potential. I can't imagine working anywhere else.

Cons

I have none. This place is awesome.

Advice to Management

Stay true to your beliefs. You've created something truly remarkable. I wake up every day, grateful and excited to come to work.

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Brand Strategy Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Brand Strategy Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

- Balances creative and strategic work
    - Respects designers and the creative process
    - Occasionally has really interesting projects
    - Brilliant people (recruits at Ivies and hires passionate people)

Cons

- Can be long-hours, often eating dinner at the desk
    - Retainer clients are boring (fin services, oil & gas)
    - Occasionally partners have strong personalities you may not click with

Advice to Management

Keep paying attention to the balance between revenue from boring clients and morale of consultants serving those clients

10. "Great experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Lippincott full-time

Pros

This is a great company with a lot of passion for what they do. Employees are driven and enthusiastic about their projects, creating an exciting work atmosphere. The diverse, world-renowned clientele present unique learning opportunities and allows you to push the limits of your thinking and gain exposure.

Cons

Hours can be very long and workload can be demanding at times. Lack of work / life balance.

11. "Challenging and Rewarding"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Abundant career and learning opportunities, incredibly smart coworkers, amazing quality of work and thinking, plenty of office social activities, demanding of only the best output for clients, and recognition is given for hard work and performing well. The people of Lippincott make it a great place to work. If you're passionate about branding and business, as well as a go-getter and hard worker, this is the place for you

Cons

Lack of work-life balance on certain case teams / under certain managers, travel demands increase as you move up the ranks