Liquid Web Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Jim Geiger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Very relaxed dress code - there's not" (in 15 reviews)

• "free food everyday if you need it provided by the company (burgers and hot dogs)" (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management doesn't understand workflow or care" (in 10 reviews)

• "Little to no face time with CEO" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Sales in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Sales in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Liquid Web Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing place to work, top notch management and low stress

Cons

None to think of really

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do

"Misguided Potential"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Liquid Web Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people who are always in the interest of solving customer issues.
    Relaxed dress code.
    Quarterly team outings.
    Reasonable pay for the work.
    Great health benefits
    Solid HR team
    Great friends

Cons

Inconsistent road maps
    CTO is inconsistent creating unnecessary work overburdening teams and individuals preventing them from being truly effective leaders.
    Product leaders uninvolved with the people who build and run the product.
    Little to no face time with CEO.
    Poor planning of new projects / products.
    No project managers.
    Backwards deadlines
    Stressful environment mainly due to poor planning and rushed deadlines.
    Added work duties from those that departed without added resources to manage.
    Flash over substance.
    Outward looking instead of looking internally to talented engineers on advice.
    Premature product releases causing issues that were warned of.

Advice to Management

Perform market, technology, and unit economic studies before trying to build a product. To succeed a company must always innovate and innovating involves risk but review the situation and shift if needed.

Look towards your current (great) products and make adjustments there to keep things modern. Leverage your engineers to work along side the giants such as google.

Listen to and respect the recommendations provided by your talented engineers. Understand the consequences to your employees by releasing products that are not ready.

Invest and build onto your current flagship products. Do not acquire and forget about a product when all that is needed is a few modifications to Helpnit grow.

Allow your managers breathing room to be the strong leaders they are capable of being. Stop piling on more work without understanding how overburdened they are. This directly affects those at the front line as it prevents managers from having effective 1:1's, meetings, goals, etc.

Improve communication across the board. Have actual project managers and assign them the responsibility of sending updates. Have quarterly town halls without fail.

Dedicate time to sit with your best.. Actually have bi-weekly 1:1's instead of once a year. Be supportive of your lower management as they are the closest to your customers.

Modernize your wiki and documentation to have everything in one place. Assign owners to spaces who are responsible for keeping things up to date.

Aug 28, 2018 – The Liquid Web Team

Thank you for your in-depth review. We're growing and with growth comes change. And we know that isn't always easy. Our focus is on delivering the best experience in hosting for our customers and... More

"Try another fish in the sea; This one is about to be eaten, from the inside out."

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Liquid Web Inc. full-time

Pros

Relaxed modern work environment
    Strong engineers who are friendly, kind, and intelligent
    Pretty good intentions from mostly everyone
    Excitement around new technologies and projects
    Using Kubernetes, Github, and other modern tools
    Relaxed WFH policy
    Relatively strong HR dept
    Great Benefits

Cons

CTO has no clue what he's doing
    Middle mgmt spends 98% of their time trying to chill the CTO out (and help him make good decisions) and 2% of their time engaged with their engineers
    Exceptionally rushed projects; backward timelines
    No definition of Done, no solidified expectations
    High turnover because of stressful environment overall
    Nothing is really ever finished; some mornings bring a whole new set of work
    Mgmt doesn't understand what talented engineers it has and certainly doesn't use them to help make major engineering decisions
    Exceptionally poor planning of meetings, direction, focus, etc..
    Different perceptions of how Working From Home works
    Feels less like you're on a team and more like you're all contract employees trying to keep things floating on

Advice to Management

Let the engineers engineer.
    Stop micromanaging, start communicating.
    Stop hiring only from Rackspace; Create a more diverse place
    Stop having conversations about other people at your desk
    Try actually caring about your engineers rather than moving up the ladder
    You aren't a good manager because you can copy and paste things from one Slack channel to another
    Take meetings you schedule seriously...your employees might take them seriously too
    Have 1:1's with your employees...like scheduled recurring 1:1's
    Ask for feedback; you don't know everything and no one just inherently respects you.
    Use your communication skills upfront instead of being passive-aggressive

Aug 28, 2018 – The Liquid Web Team

Thank you for your review. San Antonio is a vibrant tech community and Liquid Web recruitment has benefited from several hosting providers in that city. As part of our Human Resource practices... More

"Was a great company to grow and learn with."

Current Employee - Linux Technical Support in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Linux Technical Support in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Liquid Web Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Full time hours and pretty good health/retirement benefits. Lots of opportunities for overtime, but it's not required.

Cons

Long time company outlook not great. Management is not transparent, and it looks like they're getting ready to sell the company off in 1-2 years which means long term job security is sketchy. Pay and raises are pretty low.

Advice to Management

I don't have any. Management knows exactly what they want out of the company (making a nice profit) and it's doubtful they would listen to advice.

Aug 28, 2018 – The Liquid Web Team

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We're proud of our growth at Liquid Web and our ability to be a survivor in a changing industry. Our management team is always open to hearing... More

"Short Changed"

I have been working at Liquid Web Inc. full-time

Pros

Very few to speak of.

Cons

Resistant to giving pay raises, poor location, poor parking accommodations, poor leadership.

Aug 28, 2018 – The Liquid Web Team

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We have annual pay raises that are determined by employee performance reviews. Our management team is interested in your feedback. Our... More

"A Tale of Two Companies"

Former Employee - Senior Windows Systems Administrator in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Windows Systems Administrator in Lansing, MI

I worked at Liquid Web Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Consistently great co-workers

I am not saying everyone is 100% awesome, but by and large the group of people that I have worked with have been fantastic. I have personally learned A LOT from my co-workers, and hope to stay in communication with them now that I have left the company.

- Great learning potential

A fairly novice tech can come into Liquid Web and learn quite a bit through the Liquid Web experience. I certainly did during my time there. There is potential to work with many different kinds of server technologies (or networking if that's your thing).

- Great dress code

Simple dress code of shirts, pants, and shoes makes getting up in the morning and putting "work" clothes on a pretty simple chore.

- Health care is good, albeit not as good as it was prior to last year

There are two healthcare plans at Liquid Web, an HSA ("free"), or a PPO (pay percentage). Coverage is typically very good, but it used to be better (more on that in the con section).

- Free beverages/food available

Admittedly it is pop, hotdogs, burger patties, and chicken patties but it is free. They supply access to a grill so you can technically use the burger patties which used to be done more, but due to the nature of the work environment is not done as often as it once was. Regardless, still lots of free sugary drinks to be had!

- Final thoughts

From my perspective, this used to be a very fun and informal environment to work in. We got a lot of work done, but we did it while respecting clearly laid out boundaries between what was supported and what was not supported. There has always been best effort support (a defining feature of Liquid Web), but the line between fully supported and best effort used to be clear. That was old Liquid Web...before the dark times, before the buyout by Madison Dearborn.

Cons

- Bad management (to be clear, from my perspective)

I cannot stress enough that this is my opinion. Management has pushed the company into nothing more than a sales company. They do not seem to care about anything but the bottom line. Whereas I understand that the point of a company is to make money, I believe some of the most successful companies built their customer base by just offering good service, and letting word of mouth do most of the work. Liquid Web management doesn't seem to believe in anything other than sell, sell, sell.

As far as my specific job was concerned, management was always riding us to get new builds done by the end of a month as if activating a build one day later was going to result in some catastrophe for their bottom line. It was utterly ridiculous. I would rather take my time on a build and deliver a well deployed product to a customer than rush it for some magical time table made up by management for their month over month numbers. That's good customer service, something that this management team is seemingly not interested in at all.

- Sales, Sales, Sales, Sales, Sales, Sales, Sales (it has become the culture)

As stated above, the company has moved full on into being a sales company, not a service company. "If you can sell it; sell it." has been a widely heard phrase. In my opinion this is an inferior tactic for the customer experience. There are instances of customers being promised the world only to have to bring expectations back down to Earth for them after they've been sold the product.

If the company were honest and open about what is supported or what isn't supported with their customers right from the point of contact, it would be a better customer experience.

- Bad pay (no matter what management says)

While there is certainly a lot of good staffing at Liquid Web, I've seen the number of disgruntled employees (obviously including myself) grow in number. If an employee is happy with their pay, that's perfectly fine, but management is straight up lying when they claim the pay is competitive with other companies in the area. Management does not seem to care one bit about the employees, only money.

- Bad staffing levels

While staffing does fluctuate, for at least the past 7 - 8 months it has been pretty bad at times (at least in the department I worked).

- Final thoughts

If you look at my pros vs cons list, I think it's pretty clear that there is a lot more going wrong (in my opinion) than right at Liquid Web at the time of this review. I have tried hard to be level headed and fair in this review, but I am sure that some will agree and some will disagree. As per usual, the truth is somewhere in between. I hope this review is helpful, but also a truthful description of what Liquid Web was/is for me.

Advice to Management

- No one cares about NPS scores but you.

Most people working at the company prior to the buyout had never even heard of that score. I'm not saying it's not important, just that I do not know very many techs that care at all. From the management perspective it's probably a great tool, but when the next email goes out about it, I believe most employees simply set it to marked as read.

- Focus on treating your workers right.

Imagine if you will, an employer that one week tells you they can no longer afford to pay for 100% of your health care benefits, but the next week spends millions of dollars buying another company to gain customers. Consistently reducing benefits, and then spending millions of dollars on buying other companies does nothing but make your workers dislike you more.

- Pay your workers a fair wage.

Since you've successfully killed the old Liquid Web culture, at least pay people to put up with the no fun zone culture that has been cultivated in it's place.

- Listen to your workers.

Moving to the current help desk system was easily one of the worst mistakes the company has made since being bought by Madison Dearborn. Yes it saved the company untold dollar bills, but what about the loss of productivity made by switching to such an inferior help desk system? Technicians up and down the isles can vouch for the superiority of the previously used system, but management stubbornly moved ahead because it saved them money.

- Stop trying to kowtow to your largest customers

Liquid Web was built on the premise that all customers should be treated the same, and it's a formula that worked well for many years. Again, until the Madison Dearborn buyout. This specific bullet point is levied against the fact that large customers basically have their way with management on many different levels. In one instance management might as well have sold an entire department to a single large customer just to keep them happy.

Obviously this only comes from a technical perspective as I am not management, but my advice would be to learn to let those types of customers go. The brand should be more important than the highest paying customers.

- Final thoughts

I understand that management is trying to consistently make the company money, but maybe try to be more humane/level headed in your decision making. The products should speak for themselves, so the Sales department doesn't have to lie (or stretch the truth) to get customers.

At least acknowledge that you've made mistakes instead of bullheadedly moving forward with bad decisions because...money!

Jul 30, 2018 – The Liquid Web Team

Thank you for your in depth review. We're growing and with growth comes change. And we know that isn't always easy. Our focus is on delivering the best experience in hosting for our customers and... More

"Too much change"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Liquid Web Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you want to learn about the industry then this is a great place to start.

Cons

Company culture, too much change with executive roles (3 within 1 year). Sales quotas and expectations change too often, and there are no future plans for employees to grow.

Advice to Management

Good luck

Jul 30, 2018 – The Liquid Web Team

Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns. We are excited about the new sales leaders we have added to our team. We believe that you will see a more stable environment with increased... More

"Revolving door"

Former Employee - Operations in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Operations in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Liquid Web Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you like playing ping pong to blow off steam, this is the place for you.

Cons

•More managers than there are reps they manage.

•Inexperienced managers micro managing senior reps, creating bottle necks in workflow and hindering reps abilities by “my way or the highway” attitude.

•half the pay for 3 x the work.

Advice to Management

Hire new management.

Jul 30, 2018 – The Liquid Web Team

Thank you for voicing your concerns. We’re focused on building a team and we’re growing fast. We strive to have a fun environment and being a young, fast-growing company sometimes results in new... More

9. "Fun place to work"

I worked at Liquid Web Inc. full-time

Pros

Small and fun environment to work for.

Cons

Does have some operational issues.

"You get out of your experience what you put into it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Liquid Web Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

* Community is important, you work with friends more than coworkers. There are movie outings and outside of work get-togethers to help build on this and encourage people to build a social network.

* There are opportunities to advance both in position and in technical skill. Moving between teams/departments internally is encouraged and happens on a regular basis, certification classes are offered without charge to the employee.

* You can actually make changes, from updating internal wikis to refining procedures. The employees do drive much of the change and improvements at the company and change _does_ happen.

Cons

* There is a disconnect between the workforce and management that is acknowledged but not resolved.

* Many of the opportunities are only available if you make them available, you have to advocate for yourself.

* Many of the employees, both workforce and management, remember the past with a rosy tint and are reluctant to change or admit than change for the better has happened.

Advice to Management

You have a stable of incredibly intelligent people working hard to build something with you and pretending they are anything less is why you get the hostility you get. You’ve shown a desire to make things better, so please put effort into making the changes that need to happen and you’ll find the “us vs them” mentality fade.