Liquid Web Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Jim Geiger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Very relaxed dress code - there's not (in 14 reviews)

• free food everyday if you need it provided by the company (burgers and hot dogs) (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is not friendly and supervisors don't have your back (in 8 reviews)

• One day you will realize free food Fridays is worth approximately (in 3 reviews)

1. "OK Place to Work in Lansing"

I have been working at Liquid Web Inc. full-time

Pros

Benefits
    Pay
    Challenges to keep you motivated

Cons

If you don't like change, this is not an ideal work environment for you.

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing and take work/life balance into consideration.

2. "Great place to learn and get started with Linux in the work place."

Former Employee - Linux Systems Administrator in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Linux Systems Administrator in Lansing, MI

I worked at Liquid Web Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I would give some of the pros of working for Liquid Web as the following.

Supervisors who know the work being done and desire to make sure you are well as you do it.

The support team as a whole desires to build into you and help you get caught up to speed on how to properly handle an issue.

Company procedures on how to handle procedures and an emphasis on responsibility for your own work.
    I did not feel micro-managed at all while I was there. While the company will review your work, I was not approached in a way regarding numbers or the like. The emphasis was on doing the job right the first time and getting it done, not quantity. While in training your work is heavily reviewed; hitting the floor after this opens up more freedom and does make you feel more responsible and trusted.

The company is constantly seeking how to be more efficient.

No dress code.

Cons

The on-the-job learning can stagnate. While the beginning of the job--as with any job--starts out being a learning curve, after you see similar customer issues and have learned how to resolve them, learning new things becomes a matter of hunting for the weird AMD extraordinary. It became a lot easier to take what I learned at work and apply it at home to learn new technologies.

Some facets of the culture could use some maturity and professionalism.

Advice to Management

Invest in good training that builds up the technicians knowledge beyond the basics as well as those which emphasize deepening understanding of the basics. Perhaps even try finding a way to help techs break out of the routines with different projects.

"Used to be great"

Former Employee - Solutions Consultant in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Solutions Consultant in Lansing, MI

I worked at Liquid Web Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great benefits (for now)
    - Incredibly relaxed dress code
    - A lot of opportunity to expand your skill set and technology knowledge

Cons

Since being bought out by an investment firm, the company has taken a slow dive. They used to provide employee appreciation outings that have now become a cheap joke, or they have gotten rid of them entirely. They used to do free food Friday every other week - this has been done away with. Executives constantly talk about how they can buy out companies and get rid of the competition, but when it comes to paying their employees well, or providing incentives to keep them happy - it's no longer a concern. They care only about driving revenue, not about ensuring their people feel secure or supported in their role.

The CEO comes from a sales organization and that is apparent. He has absolutely no clue about the hosting industry and just wants to churn and burn through employees. When I left, my co-workers were leaving in droves.

They're only trying to bring in as much revenue as possible to make the company look like a profit center so that they can sell. Probably within the next 2-3 years.

They micromanage like crazy. At least in the sales department.

Good luck.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees. Stop micro-managing and treating everyone like toddlers. Pay your support people well. They have opportunities all over the country to make way more money and support has been the backbone of this organization. All of your talent is going to leave and your customers along with them. Show your employees that they are appreciated.

"Always Hiring Because They're Always Firing"

Former Employee - Linux Technical Support in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Linux Technical Support in Lansing, MI

I worked at Liquid Web Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free soda and coffee, dress code is very relaxed, team oriented work environment, good place to get some experience to help you get your next job.

Cons

Like the title says, they are always hiring because they're always firing. In the short time I was there, one of the sales guys told me that almost half of the sales team was let go at one time.

If you deal with chronic anxiety issues, forget this job. High pressure to keep up the learning pace. Zero job security. Read the other reviews, see the consistency in which a lot of current and former employees say that Liquid Web doesn't value they're hard working people.

Rude and aggressive customers. Management that says they will work with you when you're struggling, but do not. Buys companies to eliminate competition then provides poor transition services to the customers of the old companies, making the customers understandably angry, and also lays off the majority of the purchased company's workers. Management complains that the ticket queue is constantly high, but they don't keep enough people to keep the queue low.

Advice to Management

STOP LYING! Don't say you value your workers, but then easily dispose of people who show up on time, don't miss work, work hard, but struggle with parts of the learning process. Queues can't go down when you're constantly letting people go. Can't keep new customers coming in, when you don't have enough sales people to give the appropriate level of service.

5. "Nice place to work"

I have been working at Liquid Web Inc. full-time

Pros

Great people. Nice Office and a great location.

Cons

The aren't many downsides as there are many companies that are much worse however you have to bring proper expertise in order to get the adequate pay.

"A good company with a lot of potential."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I worked at Liquid Web Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A chance to learn an endless number of new skills each day.

Cons

You'll fill a job that is well respected globally while being paid commensurate to the area you live in rather than the skills you possess. This is a big deal since the companies ability to make money isn't geographically limited in similar fashion.

Advice to Management

Work a lot harder to pay a competitive salary based on the companies customer base rather than the cost of living in the area. They work hard to ensure you can maintain a competitive reputation globally. It's only fair you return their hard work with an equally competitive salary based on your ability to earn revenue globally. This lone factor accounts for a huge loss in productivity and high employee turn over.

7. "Pretty good place to work"

Current Employee - Windows Systems Administrator in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Windows Systems Administrator in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Liquid Web Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of perks like free healthcare for you and your dependents, free beverages (coffee, soda), pinball machine. Lots of helpful co-workers. Very relaxed dress code - there's not dress code.

Cons

The pay is less than what I would like but I think it's offset with the healthcare benefits.

Advice to Management

Be sure to communicate changes, however good your intentions might be, prior to implementing them.

8. "Good place to work"

I worked at Liquid Web Inc. full-time

Pros

Good management, pay, co-workers, leadership, etc..

Cons

They have a cooler stocked with drinks but no bottle water in it.

Advice to Management

Management does not need my advice

"The Liquid circles the drain"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Liquid Web Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free pop
    Good toilet paper in the bathrooms
    There are some amazing people but they are on their way out.
    They offer great medical benefits (for now)

Cons

Management has no accountability
    Almost no concern for the customers
    Constant uncertainty from quarterly restructuring of my department
    The executive team is completely new to hosting our vertical

Advice to Management

I am not sure there is anything that can be done to get the company back to where it was when it was great in the customers and employees eyes.

"Hostile and non supportive management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I worked at Liquid Web Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You will be happiest the day you leave this place

Cons

Low pay and very competitive and back-stabbing co-workers and management is dictating

Advice to Management

Reminds me of what it would be like to work in a prison. In fact, the place looks like a prison and the management act like wardens. I would not walk but run away from this company unless you desire to be screwed.