Liquid Web Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 23, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Jim Geiger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Very relaxed dress code - there's not (in 14 reviews)

• free food everyday if you need it provided by the company (burgers and hot dogs) (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't understand workflow or care (in 10 reviews)

• Micromanagent In support is getting bad, mandated ticket numbers along with very high levels of understanding for low pay (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great company full of potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Liquid Web Inc. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great working environment with free food, beverages, and each team has an event budget they get to spend on fun events.
    Best healthcare I have ever received from an employer and at the lowest cost. I pay a few bucks a paycheck for my entire family and have great coverage.
    The company is growing at a fast pace creating the need for new departments and roles. As someone who has worked for the opposite (companies that were declining) I can really appreciate the benefits of working for a company that is growing and allows for individual employee growth.

Cons

Would like more flexibility around working from home.
    I think we could do more to celebrate our victories. Sometimes it feels like we complete a big project and then jump right into the next, without taking a moment to acknowledge the win.
    We use to do ongoing training that happened every month, that seems to have slowed way down. Would like to see those pick back up.

Advice to Management

You have a well educated understanding of the industry and it is clear that we are moving in the right direction, but I am not sure everyone on the floor understands. Best advice I can give is to try and find ways to share your knowledge and vision for the company in a way that resonates with the collective staff. We have town halls and I see a lot of emails sent out covering this, but I still come across folks out on the floor who have yet to understand the why.

2. "Learn your trade and make some money doing it."

Current Employee - Developer in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Developer in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Liquid Web Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Very relaxed work environment.
    - Flexible working arrangements.
    - Company Laptop (if you're an on-call employee).
    - Moderately decent pay (depending on position).
    - Trying new things encouraged, and rewarded.
    - Free hot dogs, hamburgers & beverages.
    - You gain great experience in a lot of different areas.
    - Lots of opportunity for growth.
    - Dope Pokèstop right outside the building.

Cons

- The pay is a touch below industry standard, but this is usually tolerable because you won't want to kill yourself when you have to goto work. And benefits are nice.
    - Seems to be headed towards a more corporate structure (which is good in some ways, scary in others).
    - Some employees have bad attitudes, act like they are being forced to work there against their will. Leave if you don't like your compensation, go anywhere else and see what type of raises and benefits you get.

Advice to Management

You have more business knowledge then me, I have no advice on that front. I'd just say to keep protecting the culture at Liquid Web, it's one of the biggest reasons people (myself included) stay there.

3. "The Right Fit"

I have been working at Liquid Web Inc. full-time

Pros

Great people, space to grow, has many knowledgable people, right next to the River Walk

Cons

Tight space in the downtown office, precarious parking, doesn't offer training that will lead to certifications. No bonuses but there are incentive programs.

Advice to Management

Need to solidify managerial roles and focus on smoother internal transitions to produce "helpful human" customer service.

4. "Great management"

Current Employee - Hosting Advissor in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Hosting Advissor in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Great management for the most part. They really try to train you for the better. Great company to enter the tech industry

Cons

Low pay. They have great benefits but people are always leaving due to it being a hourly gig instead of a salary based job.

Advice to Management

Pay more

"Once Decent Company in a Death Spiral"

Former Employee - Senior DevOps Engineer in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Senior DevOps Engineer in Lansing, MI

I worked at Liquid Web Inc. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some good coworkers. Casual environment. You can sandbag for a long time as long as you kiss up to the senior management.

Cons

Pay is utter garbage if you have any actual IT skills. This has always been the case, but the benefits used to (somewhat) make up for it. Not anymore, upper management has been taking the chainsaw to benefits over the last year and a half.

Speaking of management, they like to make uninformed technical decisions without input from the technical staff that are responsible for implementing them. If you have the audacity to point out the problems with what they want, you're painting a target on your back.

More and more work is being outsourced to foreign contractors these days as management drives away or fires the local employees and can't replace them at the lousy levels of pay they're willing to offer.

Purchasing is a joke, as the people in charge of it keep changing the process without telling anyone or documenting it. This means every time you need to order something, you're basically guaranteed to do it wrong resulting in huge amounts of wasted time and effort.

Finally, as much as I like most of the people that work in the HR department, the HR department is a mess. Reviews are a joke. None of the review questions for technical positions are even based on technical ability. I understand that soft skills are important too, but when you're reviewing tech staff, shouldn't at least part of the review cover their ability to actually do their job from a technical standpoint? Additionally, the review form is confusing, makes no sense in places and is full of grammatical errors. None of which has been fixed despite being brought up in years past. It's totally unprofessional and would make any decent HR employee cringe.

Advice to Management

Quit. You don't understand the business, you don't understand your employees, you don't understand the culture or what was once good about working at LiquidWeb and you're universally reviled.

"Decent Sales Job If You Can't Find Something Better"

Current Employee - Sales in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Liquid Web Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are looking for a sales job b/c you are unemployed or otherwise miserable where you are or looking to get into technology sales, Liquid Web is a place to do so. You will be paid hourly so the opportunity to make overtime at 1.5x your hourly rate is available. You can literally just sit around after your shift is over and rack up the overtime. We use a chat based lead system so sitting around and waiting for your lead via chat is part of the culture. The people in the office are great so you are literally being paid to hang out with your friends. The medical benefits are pretty good and are either free or very low cost.

Cons

Remember the chat based lead system I mentioned in the "pros" section? You will only get 1 lead per day from it so good luck making your quota. There is also no rhyme or reason to the lead distribution. Rep A may get a lead for a $9 upgrade while Rep B next to him gets a lead for a $9,000 opportunity. It is literally luck of the draw. Or Russian roulette. Take your pick. And since half your comp is tied to commissions, get used to working lots of overtime to make a decent living off the base salary. And by the way, the base salary and commissions will be WELL BELOW market rate....if you even get any commissions. You see, you have to sell at least 50% of your quota to qualify for commissions and even then you will be paid 10 cents for every dollar you have sold. It is VERY common to see reps (myself included) sell $2,000 or 3,000 worth of recurring revenue and get an after tax commission check of $100 or $150. Multiply that by 12 and there is an expectation of what your take home commission for the year will look like. Various SPIFFS are run to compensate for the lack of commissions but even those are taxed. Be sure to ask about "fringe tax" as it is a very dirty word on the sales floor. Last, executive management seems checked out. They want to sell this place in 12 months or less so they are hanging on awaiting their golden parachutes. They come into the office from Atlanta every other month and spend 3 days holed up in a conference room not interacting with any of the people in the office.

Advice to Management

Get out of the conference rooms and walk around and interact with your people in San Antonio. You might be surprised at the number of good ideas we can share with you. Also, FIX THE COMP PLAN! This is the worst sales comp plan many of us have ever seen. If you want to run a call center here, just be honest and tell us. There are good people here who want good things but you are slowly taking our will to keep pushing forward.

"No longer focused on service or support."

Pros

Casual dress, and some great coworkers. It’s fast paced so you never have to worry about being bored, and there are a lot of resources to learn your trade.

Cons

Sales managers and execs are tremendously out of touch with both the industry and what’s going on on the floor. The name of the game is sales, which is fine until you get to the comp plan. They tell you that you have a quota, but then also tell you to only sell the customer what they need. If we are supposed to focus on what the customer needs, why should we focus on hitting a specific number?

Speaking of quotas, they’re highly unrealistic. Employees work insane hours just to make their quota, and management is reluctant to provide training.

Advice to Management

Get in the trenches with your employees. Shouting orders from the top or from the back is historically unhelpful.

"Focused on Customers"

I have been working at Liquid Web Inc. full-time

Pros

- Growth Strategy that is exciting
    - Focus on the Customer
    - Strong Brand with the SMB Market
    - Great people
    - Friendly Environment
    - Accessible Leadership

Cons

Employees who were with the company prior to an acquisition are often negative which can make it hard to appreciate the good things that are happening.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on customers. It's great to work at a company where you can be proud of your employees, products and services.

"Entry level support - use caution and read"

Current Employee - Linux Support Tech - Level III in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Linux Support Tech - Level III in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Liquid Web Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great entry level experience. Lots of tech to play with and lots of help via mentors. Tons of tech to spread your wings with, but don't expect to be paid well. Tons of new techs, being new is ok and you will get help! 1 year will make you a senior admin there, take that as you'd like.

Cons

Micromanagent In support is getting bad, mandated ticket numbers along with very high levels of understanding for low pay. Support has a best effort policy, which means you will come into very complex tasks - which directly conflicts with the mandated ticket numbers. It's hard to give good support while not blowing off best effort - and giving non supported issues the attention the companies reputation was built on attention. Raises are hardly noticeable now. This is a place to get your feet wet. No unpaid PTO at all now, and if you call in sick, you will have your PTO used without your consent, this is a recent change. 14 PTO days per year to start, excluding holidays. Pushing sales onto support now too.

Advice to Management

Stop rushing your techs. Your hosting score has dropped because the reputation you built is being destroyed because best effort support justified your price point. Customers are leaving in droves, as you've fired your highest paid and smartest techs due to pay or the culture war - and now brain drain has set in. Other loyal techs are still around, but those people who really got it and cared are mostly gone. Many others are on their way out as well- you've pushed too far. Change, or soon you'll only have admins under 1 year experience there as they need their start. At this rate, your support will collapse under its inexperience. Even if you want to sell, in 2 years you will not have the support you need, and you'll be an overpriced company with bad support.

"Solutions"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Lansing, MI

I worked at Liquid Web Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, good benefits. Direct managers are amazing people that really care about their teams. If you need help, there is always someone that wants to.

Cons

Upper management doesn't understand workflow or care. They pay attention to numbers and nothing else. Change is constant and overwhelming and morale can be very low sometimes. It seems like they are gearing up to sell to EIG in the next few years and doing all they can to make money, that there isn't much long term investment in people.

Advice to Management

Actually talk to your employees and get their insight. These are people, and they matter.