Liquidus Marketing Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Todd Holmes

1. "Nice Place to Work"

I have been working at Liquidus Marketing full-time

Pros

Because it's a smaller company it has a startup vibe to it and really gives you an opportunity to get your hands dirty. They are patient with you and they are willing to let you learn on the job. Has a very youthful vibe to it.

Cons

New products and ideas come and go quickly. Sometimes because of money issues or contract issues you may be working on one assignment but then frequently get pulled off it to work on something else (even though you invested a lot of time and energy into the original project)

Advice to Management

Overall I'm pretty pleased. I think everyone is doing their best to make everyone happy and I appreciate their efforts.

"A learning experience of what workplaces to avoid"

I worked at Liquidus Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-With a small staff there is the opportunity to learn many aspects of the business
    -Low stress environment
    -Great at selling you the idea of their company
    -Owners have a vision

Cons

-Shady selling practices
    -Average tenure of media team is less than 1 yr, cycle through employees so fast they are constantly hiring for a team of under 10
    -Numerous examples of empty promises made at hire that mid-management chose to ignore
    -Wrong people are praised / rewarded while the true hard-workers go unappreciated
    -Mid-management is aggressively hands-on whether "he/she" has experience in the area or not

Advice to Management

-Figure out what is really happening in the office. Upper management is focused on growing the business and in-house software development resulting in a blind eye towards the floor. How long can you go without noticing there are deeper issues when your employees don't even last a year? Half of the office has an exit plan or is actively interviewing

-Give exit interviews: people left without management's inquiry to why (most likely due to personal arrogance). I had to specifically request to give feedback.. and even that never ending up taking place

-The C-level needs to take a long hard look at the lower management they have in place. As a new employee, it is shocking to hear the disdain at management from coworkers from Day 1. Never once heard positive feedback or any support about "manager A" even from cross-department employees

-Mid management needs to practice what they preach. Numerous examples of manager coming in late/leaving early, mishaps on job, but then ridicules direct reports for less. Often help is offered half-heartedly. Certainly don't expect management to stay with you and solve issues whether they are your own or not.

-Be truthful and honest during the hiring process: Respect goes both ways. Verbal agreements on hiring tossed aside. Many employees had to fight to earn promised bonuses/etc... sometimes to no avail (in both sales and media). Employees that put in their notice are talked about behind their back and "not loyal" as they genuinely work to help their peers during the transition

-Learn the value of an employee. Turnover and hiring is not cheap, and they would be better off appeasing current workforce and adjust a few concerns that would boost morale and keep the floor happy and not looking elsewhere

"Good Stuff"

Former Employee - Director of User Experience in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Director of User Experience in Chicago, IL

I worked at Liquidus Marketing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was encouraged to grow within the company and given the chance to do so. I learned a lot of good project management skills from the PM team and good management skills from the Creative team. I really enjoyed the people and the work allowed for a good amount of creativity.

Cons

It would be a stretch to put one down. I left because of an out of state move and for no other reason. I have a good amount of respect for the executive team, they're straightforward and (refreshingly) not trying to invoke the standard faux Steve Jobs that you get in most tech companies. If you're looking for a perfect model in professionalism, you'll be turned off at times; but that open culture was good fun from my point of view.

Advice to Management

None.

"Leadership Lacks Direction (& Respect)"

Former Employee - Senior Media Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Media Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Liquidus Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They pay is good, there is a bar in the office and low turnover for those who do fit in.

Cons

Overall Liquidus lacks direction and operates constantly flying by the seat of their pants. The management team lacks communication, attention to the necessary details and ignores general frustrations of their employees (if they've even noticed them at all). Projects are often unfinished due to the lack of direction and communication. The VP of Account Management seems to be the only one who knows anything about anything.

The media team is over-worked, has a poor work-life balance and forced to participate in shady practices to create false positive results in order to please management and sales. Sales people are completely removed from the Liquidus product offering and doesn't truly understand what they're selling. Even though the entire company sits in the same off there is a severe break in communication between departments. Rude, disrespectful and condescending attitudes are allowed internally and encouraged and when talking to vendors.

Comparative to the rest of the digital media industry the benefits suck.

Advice to Management

Find a focus & direction, pay more attention to the details, open the lines of communication between departments. Also, stop perpetuating condescending and profane communication.

"Dissapointing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Liquidus Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are great
    Great 401K matching
    Opportunity to work on a variety of projects/skills

Cons

Short-sighted. I felt like there was a lot of potential in the products, but with constantly shifting direction/priorities because of trying to please every whim of clients/prospects, the products all suffered, but more importantly the people working on them.

Turn-over. Quite a few people left from frustration, and a bunch of key people were let go at really bad times for the products.

"Working at Liquidus was frustrating and confusing."

Pros

Since misery loves company, it was nice to know many of my co-workers were as fed up as I was.

Cons

There was no real leadership or direction given for achieving results. Everything was just thrown at you and expected to be resolved. My manager was never around for scheduled meetings, and then would scold me for not being aware of what he expected of me three weeks later when we finally met. He would assign me tasks and never follow up an anything I provided him. I felt like no one there knew what my duties were; they just kind of made everything up as they went. Despite the fact that we all worked in the same room, there was little to no communication between departments. Everyone was on their own.

Advice to Management

Have a success plan in place and stick to it instead of continually putting the cart before the horse. You can't expect your employees to have a focus and goals for completion when you are continually switching things up on them. Decide if you want to be a software development company, or a sales organization, because you are currently doing both badly.

"Plenty of challenges"

Former Employee - Developer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Liquidus Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers were usually very enjoyable to work with, and there were the occasional after hour parties. Very 'youthful' place to work. Decent location, right next to the highway and not too far from Union Station.

Cons

Very focused on results, at the expense of employees and morale.

Many late nights, no real project management methodology other than "here's what we need to do, go do it." Expect to be (literally) yelled at and treated poorly if you suggest that the project plan may not be feasible or would take more time to do properly.

Lack of communication regarding products and offerings and how they tie into individual responsibilities.

Non-competitive salary, below-average benefits.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect. Foster a cooperative and enjoyable work environment.

"Silicon Valley wannabee stuck in dreary Chicago"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

When I was there I was able to work on some interesting video-based and web-based projects and that allowed me to get more experience doing professional-level work in some areas I hadn't dealt with before. It also (for better or worse) was an eye opening experience as to what "startup mentality" companies are like and who works for them.

Cons

In my time there I was yelled at by my boss in front of everyone because he didn't like the way a last-minute rush job that he threw at me was done (lots of things were expected to be done at the last minute because many employees were overworked and management didn't plan ahead properly/overpromised).

I also hated the morning "status update" chats that went on there. It was annoying and only the same few people ever talked (they just liked to hear themselves talk I think). More than anything, it was a way for management to see everyone who was there each and every day at 8am (no accounting for poor/often delayed Chicago bus service, delayed trains or bad traffic).

Oh, and the health costs were way overpriced. I was expected to pay approx. $175/mo. for single person coverage - I've never had to pay that much at any job (the job before that only charged $80/mo.). And they also didn't help with CTA fare (deducting it from pre-tax pay) or anything. They always gave off this vibe like they were doing you a favor working there. Whatever.

I should also mention that management had favorites and if you weren't one of them, you were outright ignored, given less than stellar equipment/software and even critiqued/observed far more (no doubt to find ways to get rid of you).

While Liquidus was not the worst job I've ever had, I would say it is an example of a company I would want to avoid at all costs in the future. It was all just too hipster-ish and Silicon Valley-centric. I think the folks there forgot they were in freaking Chicago and that for most people, a job is just a job - they have no desire to live and breathe it.

Also, the pay was pretty lousy - not even above $40k...I only took the job originally because I wanted a change of pace work-wise and the commute wasn't going to be all that different time-wise. I ended up quitting there after half a year because it was just too much stress and I wanted to not work for a company that looked down on me and what I had to offer.

Advice to Management

I would say work on how you talk to employees - NEVER yell at an employee - no matter what - in front of anyone else. You will lose their respect immediately. Also, stop with the ridiculous meetings and get those CTA/healthcare costs down - there's no reason a single person should have to pay $175 for a company provided PPO plan. Ridiculous.