Liquidus Marketing Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Todd Holmes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Growing Company w/ a Positive Outlook"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Liquidus Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Company is growing year over year w/ good revenue results & new biz opportunity from recent acquisition of CoFactor
    -New products, clients, office are creating a much needed shakeup in all processes and overall offering
    -Friendly coworkers, good benefits, and reasonable work-life balance
    -Positive image in the marketplace and loyal clients
    -Lots to learn about digital marketing from a first-rate offering

Cons

-Growth and change have created some stress as Liquidus and Cofactor become one company
    -'Legacy' employees on both sides having trouble adjusting to the new vision
    -Development/Product team turnover has stunted innovation
    -Aggressive financial plans have put extra stress on teams driving revenue

Advice to Management

Focus on your core products, listen to your customers, and set financial plans that are achievable with the resources on-hand. Your team is top notch, so keep trusting their ideas and aiding their innovation.

"One of the worst jobs I’ve ever had"

I worked at Liquidus Marketing full-time

Pros

Friday night happy hours were a great time. There is a lot of camaraderie amongst the employees and people generally seem happy, but so little work gets done, that it is very frustrating unless you are just interested in a modest paycheck for very little work.

Cons

Senior management was very dishonest and opportunistic, they were willing to throw anyone under the bus in order to not have to take responsibility for their failures.

Advice to Management

Figure out what exactly you want to do, there is little to no focus.

"Incompetent from tip to toe"

I worked at Liquidus Marketing full-time

Pros

Casual dress environment; free coffee.

Cons

Literally everything. But the main issue is the incompetent management. None of the people in any managerial position should be managing people. There is very little strategy or future-thinking coming from upper management - it seems like the plan for the company is "hope for the best". The non-existent HR department doesn't know how to HR. Constant screw ups in benefits and personnel management. Stay far away.

Advice to Management

Hire people with management experience and actual business mindsets.

"A learning experience of what workplaces to avoid"

I worked at Liquidus Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-With a small staff there is the opportunity to learn many aspects of the business
    -Low stress environment
    -Great at selling you the idea of their company
    -Owners have a vision

Cons

-Shady selling practices
    -Average tenure of media team is less than 1 yr, cycle through employees so fast they are constantly hiring for a team of under 10
    -Numerous examples of empty promises made at hire that mid-management chose to ignore
    -Wrong people are praised / rewarded while the true hard-workers go unappreciated
    -Mid-management is aggressively hands-on whether "he/she" has experience in the area or not

Advice to Management

-Figure out what is really happening in the office. Upper management is focused on growing the business and in-house software development resulting in a blind eye towards the floor. How long can you go without noticing there are deeper issues when your employees don't even last a year? Half of the office has an exit plan or is actively interviewing

-Give exit interviews: people left without management's inquiry to why (most likely due to personal arrogance). I had to specifically request to give feedback.. and even that never ending up taking place

-The C-level needs to take a long hard look at the lower management they have in place. As a new employee, it is shocking to hear the disdain at management from coworkers from Day 1. Never once heard positive feedback or any support about "manager A" even from cross-department employees

-Mid management needs to practice what they preach. Numerous examples of manager coming in late/leaving early, mishaps on job, but then ridicules direct reports for less. Often help is offered half-heartedly. Certainly don't expect management to stay with you and solve issues whether they are your own or not.

-Be truthful and honest during the hiring process: Respect goes both ways. Verbal agreements on hiring tossed aside. Many employees had to fight to earn promised bonuses/etc... sometimes to no avail (in both sales and media). Employees that put in their notice are talked about behind their back and "not loyal" as they genuinely work to help their peers during the transition

-Learn the value of an employee. Turnover and hiring is not cheap, and they would be better off appeasing current workforce and adjust a few concerns that would boost morale and keep the floor happy and not looking elsewhere

"Nice Place to Work"

I have been working at Liquidus Marketing full-time

Pros

Because it's a smaller company it has a startup vibe to it and really gives you an opportunity to get your hands dirty. They are patient with you and they are willing to let you learn on the job. Has a very youthful vibe to it.

Cons

New products and ideas come and go quickly. Sometimes because of money issues or contract issues you may be working on one assignment but then frequently get pulled off it to work on something else (even though you invested a lot of time and energy into the original project)

Advice to Management

Overall I'm pretty pleased. I think everyone is doing their best to make everyone happy and I appreciate their efforts.

"Good Stuff"

Former Employee - Director of User Experience in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Director of User Experience in Chicago, IL

I worked at Liquidus Marketing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was encouraged to grow within the company and given the chance to do so. I learned a lot of good project management skills from the PM team and good management skills from the Creative team. I really enjoyed the people and the work allowed for a good amount of creativity.

Cons

It would be a stretch to put one down. I left because of an out of state move and for no other reason. I have a good amount of respect for the executive team, they're straightforward and (refreshingly) not trying to invoke the standard faux Steve Jobs that you get in most tech companies. If you're looking for a perfect model in professionalism, you'll be turned off at times; but that open culture was good fun from my point of view.

Advice to Management

None.

"Leadership Lacks Direction (& Respect)"

Former Employee - Senior Media Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Media Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Liquidus Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They pay is good, there is a bar in the office and low turnover for those who do fit in.

Cons

Overall Liquidus lacks direction and operates constantly flying by the seat of their pants. The management team lacks communication, attention to the necessary details and ignores general frustrations of their employees (if they've even noticed them at all). Projects are often unfinished due to the lack of direction and communication. The VP of Account Management seems to be the only one who knows anything about anything.

The media team is over-worked, has a poor work-life balance and forced to participate in shady practices to create false positive results in order to please management and sales. Sales people are completely removed from the Liquidus product offering and doesn't truly understand what they're selling. Even though the entire company sits in the same off there is a severe break in communication between departments. Rude, disrespectful and condescending attitudes are allowed internally and encouraged and when talking to vendors.

Comparative to the rest of the digital media industry the benefits suck.

Advice to Management

Find a focus & direction, pay more attention to the details, open the lines of communication between departments. Also, stop perpetuating condescending and profane communication.

"Dissapointing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Liquidus Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are great
    Great 401K matching
    Opportunity to work on a variety of projects/skills

Cons

Short-sighted. I felt like there was a lot of potential in the products, but with constantly shifting direction/priorities because of trying to please every whim of clients/prospects, the products all suffered, but more importantly the people working on them.

Turn-over. Quite a few people left from frustration, and a bunch of key people were let go at really bad times for the products.

"Working at Liquidus was frustrating and confusing."

Pros

Since misery loves company, it was nice to know many of my co-workers were as fed up as I was.

Cons

There was no real leadership or direction given for achieving results. Everything was just thrown at you and expected to be resolved. My manager was never around for scheduled meetings, and then would scold me for not being aware of what he expected of me three weeks later when we finally met. He would assign me tasks and never follow up an anything I provided him. I felt like no one there knew what my duties were; they just kind of made everything up as they went. Despite the fact that we all worked in the same room, there was little to no communication between departments. Everyone was on their own.

Advice to Management

Have a success plan in place and stick to it instead of continually putting the cart before the horse. You can't expect your employees to have a focus and goals for completion when you are continually switching things up on them. Decide if you want to be a software development company, or a sales organization, because you are currently doing both badly.

"Plenty of challenges"

Former Employee - Developer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Liquidus Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers were usually very enjoyable to work with, and there were the occasional after hour parties. Very 'youthful' place to work. Decent location, right next to the highway and not too far from Union Station.

Cons

Very focused on results, at the expense of employees and morale.

Many late nights, no real project management methodology other than "here's what we need to do, go do it." Expect to be (literally) yelled at and treated poorly if you suggest that the project plan may not be feasible or would take more time to do properly.

Lack of communication regarding products and offerings and how they tie into individual responsibilities.

Non-competitive salary, below-average benefits.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect. Foster a cooperative and enjoyable work environment.