Lithium Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Lithium Technologies President and CEO Rob Tarkoff
Rob Tarkoff

Pros
  • Our work-life balance is what makes Lithium specially attractive to a lot of engineers (in 18 reviews)

• Great people with a lot of successful tech company experience in their past (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • high turnover in certain groups (in 9 reviews)

• Abysmal compensation and no 401k match (in 7 reviews)

1. "A smart career move"

Current Employee - Digital Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Things that spring to mind: Fast paced, smart people, innovative culture, strong leaders, healthy work life balance, free food, office location and design! All good.

Cons

Not many, but being in the city I spend more on communting in, and the Bart strikes (or threat of) are a pain!

Advice to Management

Keep striving to improve products and features. Continue to be disruptive.

"It is all about the flashy marketing"

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time

Pros

The company is coming into its own in the last 12 months. It progressed from bring a startup culture, very driven by revenue and key customers and partnership, to one that's driven by market strategy and social expertise. This is mostly the result of hiring the right strategist and the strong focus on IPO.

Cons

The flip side to everything listed in the Pros is that the bulk of those defining the strategy have little clue about social engagement and how this company can use its market advantage to win in the market, as well as be a true technology leader. The upper management don't even use the product besides blogging at the company's own community site or those of key partners. Except for the recent chief product hire, the upper management knows little about the product or technology and are all about flashy talk and presentation. Aren't we at the age where you have to be technical to lead a technology company? Requiring all staff, especially engineers to always be working from the office only leads to productivity drain. It is oblivious to the old school upper management that engineers have a choice and are pursued aggressively - holding them to such a requirement, on top of the long work hours, will not help you retain any talent.

Advice to Management

Stop floating up there in the air with the flashy sales talk and pay more attention to the day-to-day. Spend time understanding your employees' challenges and help them learn and grow, instead of making them feel like they cannot voice their honest opinions.

"Smart folks, somewhat confused direction"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In general, smart, capable people throughout the organization - sales, product, and engineering. Pleasant co-workers, not a lot of politics at the lower levels. Many major clients with long-term commitments to Lithium. CEO seems committed to addressing some of
    the long-standing structural issues by bringing in new blood.

Cons

Massive, monolithic codebase, with extensive customizations that are 'contract points' with
    customers.
    Product management tends to try to please the sales group at the expense of paying down technical debt.
    Insider-driven culture - founders have absolute control over critical aspects of the technology, much of which is unique to Lithium.
    Lack of clarity around product direction - forums, yes ... beyond that ? ... nobody seems sure ...

4. "Great people, great ideals with a fun and embracing culture"

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The perks here are amazing. Between having catered lunch and breakfast sprinkled in a few days a week, commuter, gym, performance bonuses and more! Plus the people here are warm and welcoming.

Cons

Priorities from the top seem to keep shifting quite often.

Advice to Management

Talking about Innovation is great; however, if upper management can't manage client expectations and demands appropriately it seems we'll always be in a state of emergency with roadmaps being taken hostage.

5. "Smart people, good plan, lots of potential"

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time

Pros

Good vision from C-staff, great benefits, great culture, no big egos. Fun work and interesting problems to solve

Cons

Some big competitors in the space, and a lot of work to do to go from this quasi-start up phase to full-fledged, big league company

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. I see a clear vision and good implementation of our goals and values. I'm very proud of our management team.

6. "Inspiring core business, growing fast"

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Fun! People are easy going, play games with each other, lots of good discussion and laughter, have hackathons, work on open source projects.
    2. Inspiring. Lithium runs social communities, where people help each other. No sneaky advertising angle.. I know right?!
    3. Great problems to work on. So many choices, so much to do.
    4. Location. Easy commute, great part of the city.

Cons

1. Growing really fast, so you won't be able to keep on top of everything happening. Don't try. Do your part, enjoy the ride. Lithium could double staff in next year or two, at this rate.
    2. So many impactful possibilities, regularly making hard choices about priorities.

7. "at the center of the social business scene and loving it"

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

office space, collaborative atmosphere, in-house lunches, access to internal thoughleaders

Cons

legacy baggage from time as a forums provider

Advice to Management

keep doing what ur doing

8. "Good time to be part of Lithium...opportunities abound"

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Innovation is supported by the culture and the office space.

It is the right time for this company to take off. The market is ready and they have been thinking about and iterating on how to make social media work for improving customer interactions for companies.

The founders are still around. I have never worked in a company where the founders were leading the company, then realized it took another skill set to transition to another level and were able to go back to hands on contributors and actually let the talent they attracted lead the company. Refreshing!

The facility is amazing. Fantastic location! One block from a Montgomery Bart station, the windows open so the recycled vent air is not an issue. Lots of open collaborative, bright cheery space. There are literally no closed door offices. Senior management sits with in the same desks as everyone else, scatter about the company. Rob Tarkoff does have two desks so he sometimes sits with the engineers and other times with marketing.

I haven't been here long, but so far my experience that the managers are aware how to support motivated talent.

Cons

Lots of legacy code to deal with and the product inherently involves customization.
    Growing pains in process.
    Reasonable documentation, but you need to know what you are looking for to find it.

9. "3 months in and already having an impact"

Current Employee - Senior Documentation Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Documentation Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great new, shiny facility in SF. Just a block away from Beldan Place and the Montgomery BART station. Huge, collaborative workspace with windows that OPEN...awesome having fresh air in the office. Lunches and snacks abound; just a joy being in the office.

Engaged leaders and individual contributors who thrive on creating great products and customer experiences. Everyone holds each other to a high bar, in a good way. You just want to do great things so everyone succeeds.

Great place for a documentation team to partner across the org and drive real changes and improvements in the product, processes, and content experiences.

Cons

Not so much a con as an opportunity. Since the Lithium product has been around for a number of years, the UI for some of our Admin and Dev tools have gotten quite cumbersome. Increases ramp up time for employees and customers. That said, team is committed to improving this, and I'm already seeing progress. And, I'm at the table to make this happen.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and your commitment to full transparency.

10. "Cream of the Crop"

Current Employee - Customer Support Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Support Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work with the best Team in the World! It's fun, exciting and everyday a new adventure! Work is never dull or boring and really, what more can you ask for?

Cons

I wouldn't work here if I didn't love it! Life is too short to do work you aren't excited about every single day.