Lithium Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Lithium Technologies Reviews

Updated August 19, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Our work-life balance is what makes Lithium specially attractive to a lot of engineers (in 18 reviews)

• Great people with a lot of successful tech company experience in their past (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • high turnover in certain groups (in 9 reviews)

• Abysmal compensation and no 401k match (in 7 reviews)

"Stay away"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Lithium Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

HR team is good.
    You will be compensated well in US.

Cons

All major work is shipped to Bangalore. Most of the employees in SF engineering are gone and some have been shown the door. If you want to do some maintenance work feel free to join. If you want to so some exciting work then this is not the place. Lithium has hired people in Bangalore like sheep herd. 1 SF engineer = 5 Bangalore cheap labor. And Bangalore employees are bunch of yes men who agree to whatever the eteam asks them to do without knowing the inner workings of things. Don't be over excited by the good reviews, most of them are from new hires in Bangalore.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees who built the company from grass root level, properly. Don't just show them the door just because you can hire cheap labor in Bangalore.

Lithium Technologies Response

Mar 27, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your review. I am sorry things did not work out for you. We have a strong multi-site team in SF, Austin and Banglore in Engineering. We hope to build talent in each location and I... More

"Great company going downhill"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Renewed focus on new products and sales
    - Better engineering environment at Austin office
    - Better growth opportunities at the Austin office
    - Lunch two times a week

Cons

- Management is lackluster and the vision lofty with no follow through.
    - Lots of failed projects and ideas
    - Lots of recent departure at the top indicating troubled waters.
    - The SF engineering is dwindling in numbers with only few select people left and no growth opportunities. What used to be once, a hotbed of innovation, is now only a maintenance outpost.
    - Abysmal compensation and no 401k match

Advice to Management

Get your act straight and deliver. Merely trying to cut costs is myopic, and, in the absence of other measures, will effect adversely in the long run.
    The engineering department is only a shell of its former self.

Lithium Technologies Response

Mar 27, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for your review. We have had enormous success in the last several quarters and I am glad you acknowledge this. Sorry you aren't having a good experience. Would be great to talk to your... More

"Great people, need more transparency"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lithium Technologies (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, great work life balance (the ability to work from home is awesome), some Executives are transparent but not all, great location!

Cons

Poor catering options (Eat Club is cheap but the most horrible food option), cost-cutting initiatives that impacted a few people with a layoff, Executives need to provide more transparency around cost saving initiatives, high turnover in certain departments, no recognition or rewards platform in place for acknowledging employees. Rumors say there are more layoffs to come - not a good sign.

Advice to Management

Be transparent. Be Real is one of the Mission and Values so practice what you preach.

"Honest Review"

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time

Pros

I am not a regular on Glassdoor and this is my first review. I feel compelled to write this after seeing some recent negative reviews. These are gross exaggerations and not representative of my experience nor the experience of the folks I work with.

I am happy at Lithium. I have learned a lot, seen ups and down and made life time friendships. I am proud of the products that we have built and released especially this year. I love my team members, my manager is very supportive, I have a lot of respect for our executive team and I am excited about where our products are heading and the impact it has on our customers.

Cons

Does that mean, everything is perfect. Of course not, we live in the real world and there are things that could be better. The leadership here understands that and I see them trying harder to increase communication and address some of the improvement areas.

Advice to Management

There are a lot of us who are leaned in and behind you. Let's stay focused and execute on our plans.

"Don’t be fooled by reviews or recruiters and ANONYMOUS REVIEWS on Glassdoor, instead ask us, THE ACTUAL EMPLOYEES"

Current Employee - Software Engineering in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I work in Lithium Engineering in SF office for the past 3.5 years.
    I read this review that a SUPPOSEDLY current Software Engineer wrote and thrashes Lithium as this horrible place to work and I am in shock as to how someone can see this place so negatively. I mean total shock. I have been bothered for a week and today I decided that I have to write something about it and share my thoughts.

More than a hundred of us commute to San Francisco everyday because we love working with each other. Because we love helping our customers & building better communities. Because we love solving problems and moving our products forward. We all have other choices of companies to work for. The job market is very hot in the bay area and most likely many of us would be able to find a job with shorter commute if we wanted to. But NO, we are coming to work at Lithium for a reason. Because it is a great place to work.
    Can it be better? Of course it can.
    Is anyone working on making it a better place to work? YES everyone of us current employees minus one person (the person who wrote that review).

Listen, when you have dark glasses on, everything is dark even sun is not shining as much anymore and that is the bottom line.

How does someone let him/herself sink to this point without reaching out to someone for help. If I did not think Lithium was full of helpful people I would not even say this. I have seen Rob talk to ANYONE who wants to talk to him. Same is with all other executives. They take time and listen to anyone who has something constructive to say. Lithium is one of the most open companies I have worked (and I have worked at quite a few places).

Reviewer claims that engineers are excluded from all decisions on the product’s direction. Again I am assured that this person does not even work in engineering. Engineers are always part of the planning meetings and product directions discussions. We are always asked for our opinion and feedback to product plans.

The reviewer claims our flexible time-off policy to be LIE and WFH is only for privileged people. WHAAAAAT??? How can this person claim to work in engineering department and say this? This is absolutely untrue. Flat out a lie.
    People are constantly taking 3 and 4 weeks vacations all around me. I have been here over 3 years and have yet to hear a single vacation being rejected. Our work-life balance is what makes Lithium specially attractive to a lot of engineers. If you need to work from home, no one will ask you why, as it is common to work from home one day a week. If you are on Devops rotation and need to work from home even more often due to unpredictable outages and emergencies, it is totally accepted.

I have been there once or twice in my career when things started to look little dark but this review is beyond that. I feel so bad for the reviewer. To this person I want to say: Why do you stay here if it is so horrible? Leave and hopefully the start of your next job will allow you to freshen up your point of view and give you a more positive outlook on life. Plus you will let us hire someone who sees the world positively and not this hellhole that you seem to be stuck in.

Anyway, I feel better now that I got this off my chest. I really wish Glassdoor was not this wild wild west that anyone with ill intentions could come in and write whatever they wanted.

Cons

I think providing lunch every day would be better than 2x a week.

Advice to Management

More often town hall discussions. This will help us connect with each other better.

"I'm Proud to Work Here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lithium is a fantastic place to work, grow professionally and meet new people. Their products help solve a global business problem, which directly positions you to make a significant contribution to the world. The leadership team is extremely approachable, bold when it comes to admitting concerns and isn't afraid to make moves on a well thought strategy. Culture at Lithium is live and well, with the vast majority living up to the standards of five great core values.

Cons

Every company on this planet has challenges, Lithium included. However, from what I’ve experienced you have to look really hard for drama for it to find you. If you come here with the motivation to create solutions alongside problems, this section will be null come time for your Glassdoor review. If you only focus on the problem, then I guess there’s a few nonmaterial entries for this section.

Advice to Management

Continue having the most challenging conversations possible, internally and externally. Continue to work towards a state where things are simple, yet sophisticated. Keep having fun!

"Great Culture but lacks vision"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Culture
    Free food
    Company picnics
    Motivating team leads

Cons

IPO story has been going on for a while. The truth is they wont be starting the IPO process for another 1.5 years. Lot of bright minds are leaving the company whose profit is getting stagnant.

Advice to Management

Focus more on Sales

"Great place to learn"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company certainly doesn't deserve the negative reviews and 1 star ratings it has gotten recently. I agree there are challenges ahead but those bring out the best in you. The e staff is doing its best to maintain transparency with all hands and QnA. I think Sunil is doing a good job. Most people have a life outside of work. And there are several women engineers and in leadership roles.

Cons

No 401k matching, lunch only only twice a week

Advice to Management

Perhaps asking employees for feedback regularly would help mitigate their concerns

"Finance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Executive team is transparent and honest with frequent department meetings and town halls, you are never in the dark and feel connected with the progress of the company. Lithium cares about your career development, we often have speakers come and discuss their journey to success, best practices, case studies on how our software is a game changer. The office is beautiful, the work is challenging and worthwhile, the growth opportunities are there if you are pro-active to pursue them.

Cons

Wish we had lunch provided 5x a week / more variety of lunch instead of only lunch 2x a week. Some more healthy alternative snacks, i'm getting fat. More diversity in volunteer opportunities HR sponsored, it's always food shelter / run/walk for a cause / sometimes beach clean up. How about helping out at animal shelter or big brother big sister programs?.

Advice to Management

love the transparency, love how approachable executives are, one thing i would like to see is more visibility on who all these visitors to lithium are and what they are doing. Georgia Tech came by for an office tour, for what? Day on the job? Our customers come in all the time for what? Strategy sessions? Meet with Executives?

"Great place to work- keeps me motivated and excited about my career"

Pros

Overall a great place to work and build a career:

1) growing company
    2) feel valued and appreciated
    3) great location
    4) fun culture
    5) management is approachable
    6) still maintains a smaller company feel: it's not a siloed/bureaucratic corporate culture (e.g. It's easy to come in and feel like you can make a meaningful impact)
    7) a lot of smart and motivated coworkers who are passionate about the company and its products

Cons

1) Could provide more transparency around cost saving initiatives

2) high turnover in certain groups