Lithium Technologies Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Lithium Technologies President and CEO Rob Tarkoff
Rob Tarkoff

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Our work-life balance is what makes Lithium specially attractive to a lot of engineers (in 21 reviews)

• Great people with a lot of successful tech company experience in their past (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • high turnover in certain groups (in 10 reviews)

• The only downside to the benefits is no 401k matching, but this is offset by other benefits honestly (in 8 reviews)

1. "Great work, great culture, great benefits"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Technology stack is modern, common and well-designed.
    Work/life balance is fantastic and the employees are friendly and inviting.
    Outstanding career development through weekly new-hire presentations about a range of topics ranging from career choices to technology-centric discussions.
    New office in Austin is very nice. Amenities such as a private gym, showers, and kitchen that is kept well stocked multiple times a week.
    Catered meals twice a week, personal trainer three times a week. Weekly chair massages from a masseuse.
    Great benefits package, all standard. $50 monthly stipend towards fitness related expenses.
    Employees are given freedom to work from home as long as the job gets done.

Cons

There's a bit of a disconnect between Austin and San Francisco where the HQ is located.
    Lithium has been acquired by Vista Equity, which means there's less control over major decisions. This has yet to become an issue but it's definitely something to consider.
    The only downside to the benefits is no 401k matching, but this is offset by other benefits honestly.

"Overall Okay."

Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Lithium Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people, open to new ideas and new technologies, pleasant office, great work-life balance. Good perks.

Cons

Leadership fosters a shameless culture of self-promotion.
    Offshoring more and more to India.
    Too much inward selling by C-Level executives.

Advice to Management

Maintain integrity. Value substance over superficiality. Walk the walk by following the company values.

"Transparency is lacking"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Nice office and great location only about 2 minutes from the Montgomery Bart Station
    - Unlimited PTO
    - Telecommuting allowed in many cases + work/life balance
    - Fair compensation in terms of base salary and fair bonuses
    - Friendly and open office

Cons

Business-wise:
    - A lot of recent turnover and attrition - including a lot of senior staff
    - Future uncertain with Vista Equity Partners acquisition
    - Lip service only is paid to transparency from the top

Tech-wise:
    - Large, messy and old java code base which is full of cruft
    - No documentation for aforementioned large, messy and old code base
    - Because it's hard to move away from this code base, more modern skills are not being developed

"Stay away"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Lithium Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

HR team is good.
    You will be compensated well in US.

Cons

All major work is shipped to Bangalore. Most of the employees in SF engineering are gone and some have been shown the door. If you want to do some maintenance work feel free to join. If you want to so some exciting work then this is not the place. Lithium has hired people in Bangalore like sheep herd. 1 SF engineer = 5 Bangalore cheap labor. And Bangalore employees are bunch of yes men who agree to whatever the eteam asks them to do without knowing the inner workings of things. Don't be over excited by the good reviews, most of them are from new hires in Bangalore.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees who built the company from grass root level, properly. Don't just show them the door just because you can hire cheap labor in Bangalore.

Mar 27, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your review. I am sorry things did not work out for you. We have a strong multi-site team in SF, Austin and Banglore in Engineering. We hope to build talent in each location and I... More

"Great company going downhill"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Renewed focus on new products and sales
    - Better engineering environment at Austin office
    - Better growth opportunities at the Austin office
    - Lunch two times a week

Cons

- Management is lackluster and the vision lofty with no follow through.
    - Lots of failed projects and ideas
    - Lots of recent departure at the top indicating troubled waters.
    - The SF engineering is dwindling in numbers with only few select people left and no growth opportunities. What used to be once, a hotbed of innovation, is now only a maintenance outpost.
    - Abysmal compensation and no 401k match

Advice to Management

Get your act straight and deliver. Merely trying to cut costs is myopic, and, in the absence of other measures, will effect adversely in the long run.
    The engineering department is only a shell of its former self.

Mar 27, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for your review. We have had enormous success in the last several quarters and I am glad you acknowledge this. Sorry you aren't having a good experience. Would be great to talk to your... More

"Honest Review"

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time

Pros

I am not a regular on Glassdoor and this is my first review. I feel compelled to write this after seeing some recent negative reviews. These are gross exaggerations and not representative of my experience nor the experience of the folks I work with.

I am happy at Lithium. I have learned a lot, seen ups and down and made life time friendships. I am proud of the products that we have built and released especially this year. I love my team members, my manager is very supportive, I have a lot of respect for our executive team and I am excited about where our products are heading and the impact it has on our customers.

Cons

Does that mean, everything is perfect. Of course not, we live in the real world and there are things that could be better. The leadership here understands that and I see them trying harder to increase communication and address some of the improvement areas.

Advice to Management

There are a lot of us who are leaned in and behind you. Let's stay focused and execute on our plans.

"Don’t be fooled by reviews or recruiters and ANONYMOUS REVIEWS on Glassdoor, instead ask us, THE ACTUAL EMPLOYEES"

Current Employee - Software Engineering in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I work in Lithium Engineering in SF office for the past 3.5 years.
    I read this review that a SUPPOSEDLY current Software Engineer wrote and thrashes Lithium as this horrible place to work and I am in shock as to how someone can see this place so negatively. I mean total shock. I have been bothered for a week and today I decided that I have to write something about it and share my thoughts.

More than a hundred of us commute to San Francisco everyday because we love working with each other. Because we love helping our customers & building better communities. Because we love solving problems and moving our products forward. We all have other choices of companies to work for. The job market is very hot in the bay area and most likely many of us would be able to find a job with shorter commute if we wanted to. But NO, we are coming to work at Lithium for a reason. Because it is a great place to work.
    Can it be better? Of course it can.
    Is anyone working on making it a better place to work? YES everyone of us current employees minus one person (the person who wrote that review).

Listen, when you have dark glasses on, everything is dark even sun is not shining as much anymore and that is the bottom line.

How does someone let him/herself sink to this point without reaching out to someone for help. If I did not think Lithium was full of helpful people I would not even say this. I have seen Rob talk to ANYONE who wants to talk to him. Same is with all other executives. They take time and listen to anyone who has something constructive to say. Lithium is one of the most open companies I have worked (and I have worked at quite a few places).

Reviewer claims that engineers are excluded from all decisions on the product’s direction. Again I am assured that this person does not even work in engineering. Engineers are always part of the planning meetings and product directions discussions. We are always asked for our opinion and feedback to product plans.

The reviewer claims our flexible time-off policy to be LIE and WFH is only for privileged people. WHAAAAAT??? How can this person claim to work in engineering department and say this? This is absolutely untrue. Flat out a lie.
    People are constantly taking 3 and 4 weeks vacations all around me. I have been here over 3 years and have yet to hear a single vacation being rejected. Our work-life balance is what makes Lithium specially attractive to a lot of engineers. If you need to work from home, no one will ask you why, as it is common to work from home one day a week. If you are on Devops rotation and need to work from home even more often due to unpredictable outages and emergencies, it is totally accepted.

I have been there once or twice in my career when things started to look little dark but this review is beyond that. I feel so bad for the reviewer. To this person I want to say: Why do you stay here if it is so horrible? Leave and hopefully the start of your next job will allow you to freshen up your point of view and give you a more positive outlook on life. Plus you will let us hire someone who sees the world positively and not this hellhole that you seem to be stuck in.

Anyway, I feel better now that I got this off my chest. I really wish Glassdoor was not this wild wild west that anyone with ill intentions could come in and write whatever they wanted.

Cons

I think providing lunch every day would be better than 2x a week.

Advice to Management

More often town hall discussions. This will help us connect with each other better.

"Lacking vision for product roadmap that can lead to successful exit"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunches and snacks
    Supportive and transparent upper management and executives
    Competitive pay and benefits
    Good work life balance

Cons

Legacy and highly complex code that can take years to learn.
    Seems only few old timers( 5 years and more) have all the product knowledge and entire company banks upon them rather than finding ways to train new employees.
    Middle management not strategic and highly dependent upon teams to drive all decisions.
    Too many changes in product road map, teams and infrastructure all happening at the same time.
    Features take long time to market.

Advice to Management

Do not make too many changes at same time.
    Structure teams around their skill set
    Middle managers should take ownership for strategic goals and be evaluated on their successful completion.

Feb 22, 2015 – CEO

This is great feedback and we really appreciate the comments. The full year roadmap is amazing and will be rolled out by your leaders over the next few weeks -- stay tuned - I think you will be... More

"Good place to grow your career if you know your stuff"

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time

Pros

1) You get to work with some of the new technology stacks
    2) Great work place location
    3) You get to interact with some of the smart people who are very good at their work and who are ready to help you
    4) Pretty good balance between work and fun

Cons

1) Company is bigger than few years back and I like the fact they want to act like an startup but too many changes among teams can be avoided
    2) Compensation could be improved and meet similar sized company payscale

Advice to Management

Company has great potential and hope they execute the plans to make it big on the market.

"Be yourself, sharpen your skill,build a kick-ass product,Friendly and inspiring management,smart coworkers!!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lithium Technologies (More than a year)

Pros

I am working here for more than 1 and half year.Lithium culture is getting better and better,the direction is changing to be more clear and crisp,Community platform and LSW product with Klout perks is going to give brands great tools to connect with their consumers and consumers to engage into sharing the content they are passionate about.The engineering team is well focussed, if they know what to be delivered at the end of the day.There are really smart engineers who are committed to lithium's success.Still some great members among founders who constantly inspire new comers.Very open culture between management and technical teams.Small scrum teams are mostly in self-operative mode, which is only possible because you are trusted here,and brings in lot of freedom to your daily role and at the same time put great responsibilities on your shoulder,which is very valuable learning for many young engineers.
    It is a great environment that gives you the tools to grow and expects you to deliver success with them.No BS in management layer,no nepotism...real down to earth great leaders committed to connect business with product.

Cons

* long commute to the city,some teams are flexible with wfh and some are not.
    * no 401k match
    * need to focus on fostering team players.

Advice to Management

Let the senior most members help more in architecting products with long term vision.It is my perspective that I don't see architect brains here which is needed when some teams have relatively less experienced yet very smart young engineers,but they need to be guided in high level specially in cross system integration areas.

Nov 3, 2014 – CEO

Great insight and really appreciate the review. I agree that the open culture in our engineering org drives innovation, and I also appreciate the point on long-term architecture as well -- something... More