Litmus Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 29, 2019

4.5
Erik Nierenberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great place, great product, great people!"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Litmus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Litmus is a leader in its industry, so it's great to work for a company where customers view you a must-have partner, specially as an Account Managemener. The Sales org has grown tremendously and the AM team is seeing an exciting period of growth as it's own team. In my past AM experience, I had minimal work-life balance, but Litmus is amazing at encouraging this and management is great at pushing work-life balance.

People from all departments are customer centric and everyone takes great pride in their work. They have done a great job at hiring great people that align with the company values. Engineers like to talk to customers and everyone is eager to hear from customers to make sure they are having the best experience.

The company cares about its employees and offers great perks and company-wide retreats. I am remote so I miss out on the office-catered lunches, but I don't feel like I am missing out on anything else because I am remote. My manager is extremely accessible and I feel like Slack and Zoom and our in-person trips allow me to effectively work with others, and form great relationships with many. The whole company gets together a few times per year and they treat us to amazing outings, definitely spoiled there. For the holidays, they even sent every employee a gift.

Cons

You miss out on the catered lunches and office happy hours if you are remote, but I've managed to do virtual ones with a few folks.

2. "The best company I've worked for"

Current Employee - Sales - BDR in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Sales - BDR in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Litmus full-time

Pros

I've been at Litmus a year now, coming from a public company, I was a little skeptical, but I am so happy I made the jump to Litmus. The growth I've seen within the company is amazing, we've almost tripled the sales team from when I started, I've also seen multiple promotions to AEs, AMs, etc.

Great team environment, culture is awesome, very relaxed but competitive at the same time. Managers are all great, helpful, flexible and never micro-managing. Everyone on my team gets along so well, we have team outings regularly (celtics games, dinners at restaurants like MOO and Strega) incentives like gift cards and prizes for hitting metrics, all the regular start-up stuff.

Flexibiliy to work remote (usually I will stay home 1 day a week, but I love being in the office with my team)

Catered lunch from restaurants all around Boston/Cambridge. Location is awesome, right in central square, there's parking you can pay for monthly at about $100 (comes out of your check pre-taxed) which has been so convenient for me, OR we are literally right outside of the redline.

Over all I love this company and all the people I work with... we are hiring so go ahead and take a look!

Cons

None, great team and great company

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Be here..."

Current Employee - Account Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Litmus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

...but be in R&D, HR, Finance or support. It's a great, supportive environment. Lots of nice perks, free pop, beer, catered lunch M-Th. Company does nice things for its employees.

Cons

... but don't be in the Sales org. There's no upstream product market fit - companies will spend a little bit monthly but that's about it. Trying to get companies that have paid little money in the past to pony up big $$ now is not something I would not wish on any rep trying to make the next leap in their career but when you take big VC dollars you gotta have something to show for it. CEO needs to have the last word and thinks he's hilarious. People hold their tongues...

Advice to Management

Look for a buyer to acquire you.

"Remote first, fast growing, culture focused startup"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Litmus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most teams support 100% remote and the company has learned how to make that work. Slack & Zoom are primary communication tools. Managers evaluate you on your contributions, not by simply being present. You have flexibility to work the hours that work for you and your family.

Fantastic vacation policy which is better than "unlimited" in my opinion. The first of the year your account is loaded with 28 days. If it isn't used by Dec 31st it is reset back to 28 on Jan 1. This encourages you to actually take time off throughout the year.

You get the tools and processes you need to be successful. Litmus has provided me a standing desk, 4k monitor, and laptop for my home office. All of these items are exactly what I picked out and asked for. From a process perspective, all engineering teams practice scrum with tweaks determined by that team. A couple of teams run 2 week sprints ending on Wednesdays and another runs 1 week sprints ending on Friday. Most important the team members pick what works for them. All the engineering teams run automated builds and some sort of deployment automation.

Litmus has continued to grow over my tenure here. That has made lots of room for advancement and growth. I expect that to continue throughout the future.

Cons

Most of the company embraces "remote first" but a few teams have opted out. Hasn't directly impacted my work as an engineer, but it is concerning having teams in the organization who don't buy into the remote culture could eventually change it.

I really wish I could get together with my coworkers more often. Once or twice a year doesn't seem like enough. However, it is amazing the toll even two weeks a year can take on your family.

Advice to Management

Keep up the culture initiatives as we grow. They are helping keep Litmus a special place while allowing for the inevitable change

"Used to be so awesome...not anymore!"

I have been working at Litmus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people work here. Great product that is beating the daylights out of the competition. Great customers who care about the email community.

Cons

It used to be a fantastic place to work with a genuinely positive culture. They had great benefits and cared a lot about their people. Since then, the company has taken investment money and grown incredibly fast to the point that no one knows anyone anymore and it has become a sales machine since the founders sold out. Profits first, people second.

I would also highly recommend steering clear of the Sales team in particular. The management on that side is very traditional and BRUTAL. This is not coming from a disgruntled former employee so take heed...

Advice to Management

Go back to what made the company great to begin with

6. "Growing pains, but overall a great company"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I worked at Litmus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Remote first culture, everyone is committed to making Litmus a people focused organization.

Cons

Not every department embraces remote first. Communication across teams and leadership is lacking. Sales team was expanded way to quickly.

7. "Great place to be thus far"

I have been working at Litmus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really no negatives. Best in class product with very smart, caring people to work with. Flexibility to essentially work whenever/wherever you see fit provided you get the job done. Much of the company is remote, but in office employees get lunch daily amongst other perks.

Cons

None that I can think of, continue evolving the product and things should continue to be great.

Advice to Management

Continually work on making the product better and better so we remain top of class.

8. "Great employer, great culture"

I have been working at Litmus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company is very relaxed and trusts its hired properly enough to give their employees room to breath. Remote culture allows you to WFH whenever necessary. Amazing benefits, pay is competitive, and free lunch every day. They promote and allow people to make cross department jumps based on their career interests

Cons

Communication between departments needs to improve. The company is growing at a very fast clip and there is still work to be done on getting the proper processes in place to make sure it can scale effectively. People are always open to respond to Slack or email, but there is no set up “proper channel” for communication. Communication within my particular department is pretty good though!

Advice to Management

Focus on improving communication between departments. Everyone is great at their job, but collaboration is a key to a growing company’s success

"Amazing company! Proud and lucky to be a part of it"

I have been working at Litmus full-time

Pros

- Employees first. Litmus cares about its employees and it shows. Fantastic benefits/perks, strong focus on work-life balance, great company events.
    - Leader in email testing, well-respected company in the industry.
    - Healthy, well-managed growth (many companies don't know how to do this)
    - Autonomy. Litmus trusts its employees and gives the freedom to get our work done in the best way for us to do so. No micromanagement here
    - Remote first culture is done very well. We all feel very connected, and you won't see the disadvantages of being a remote employee that you see at other companies. Litmus probably has the best overall company culture of anywhere I've worked, and I think that says a lot being that we're remote first.
    - Amazing people: SMART, friendly, helpful, passionate. Every single employee at Litmus is approachable. We thoroughly enjoy our time together.
    - Blameless, humble, honest, transparent culture.
    - Amazing opportunity for personal growth here. I've seen many people move within the company to other roles or departments that they realized are a better fit their interests/skills.

Cons

- Not really a con, but everyone I work with is passionate about the company as well as what they do. We work with a lot of smart people who genuinely care, so if you're looking to put in minimal effort, this isn't the place for you.
    - Again, not exactly a con but we genuinely enjoy each other's company, and while we do have company wide events and are well connected on a daily basis, I do wish we could spend more time all together.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! You've done a great job keeping the culture as we've grown, while also keeping the growth at a healthy pace.

10. "Great People, Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Litmus full-time

Pros

Knowledgeable and passionate co-workers
    Top tech
    Excellent products and customer service
    Inclusive workplace culture
    No politics
    No corporate buzzwords
    Remote employees are always in the loop
    We get things done

Cons

No cons what so ever.

Advice to Management

Awesome. Keep it up.