Little Lukes Childcare Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Darci Powers

"Very rewarding, but limited resources"

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in DeWitt, NY
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in DeWitt, NY

I worked at Little Lukes Childcare Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will love the children and the people you work with. Good hours. PTO

Cons

Not enough staff for the amount of SPED kids

Advice to Management

Not enough staff in the rooms.

2. "Lead Teacher"

Former Employee - Lead Preschool Teacher in Oswego, NY
    Former Employee - Lead Preschool Teacher in Oswego, NY

I worked at Little Lukes Childcare Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The kids were the highlight of this place.

Cons

Was fired due to a parent complaining that her child had diaper rash though the parent and school management were notified already about the diaper rash, by me. I strongly believe I was discriminated against, by some parents, based off my name and ethnicity. I worked there for two weeks, two weeks. I have worked with kids in schools for 5 years and always get praised for my work by students and parents. Something fishy went on with my firing and I truly hope it's not what I believe to be true.

They are also extremely under staffed. There isn't the correct student-teacher ratio. The also sucked as it was basically non existent.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better.

"A Warm Body With a License"

Former Employee - SPED in Oswego, NY
    Former Employee - SPED in Oswego, NY

I worked at Little Lukes Childcare Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Staff at individual centers are great. You get to work with children with a variety of needs.
    You get a paycheck.

Cons

Management only cares about bottom line. Wants quantity of therapy not quality. Very stingy at providing classroom coverage for absences of classroom staff. Therapists are expected to work at least 5 hours straight without breaks. If therapist has an absence, management expects therapist to do a makeup or be in classroom.
    Big talk about keeping up staff morale but no carryover. Management only notices you when you are doing something wrong. Going above and beyond is not acknowledged nor appreciated. Pay is positional not based on experience or workload so therapists with higher caseloads or more experience are making the same as entry level workers. In the event an COTA or PTA is required to cover missing therapy staff no stipend is provided despite the fact that supervising staff cannot reduce their own caseload, supervising increases workload, and the supervisee is riding on the supervisor's license.
    The owners pretend to care about the staff and children but their lack of caring is evidenced by their poor treatment of staff, cutting corners on upkeep of equipment and updating equipment, and their high turnover rate.
    The organization fails to tell you that almost half of any sign-on bonus goes to taxes and you will pay the company the difference if you choose to leave because 2 years here will seem like an eternity.
    Don't work here unless you are immune to or enjoy being taken for granted and overworked.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees or sell the company to someone who does. A little appreciation goes a long way.

"Receptionist"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Baldwinsville, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Baldwinsville, NY

I worked at Little Lukes Childcare Center part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent management and family-like atmosphere. The families and staff are amazing. They have a great idea of what they're going for.

Cons

Little notice of hours whenever you get them. Low, low wages for the amount of work required. Employees fired on a whim.

Advice to Management

Work harder to retain employees

"Incredible team atmosphere with people passionate about providing the very best for children & families."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oswego, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oswego, NY

I have been working at Little Lukes Childcare Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility, support, fun & rewarding! Always looking to promote within and a great focus on both personal AND professional growth. You won't find another childcare center or agency that cares more genuinely for the best interests of children.

Cons

Excellent company to work for. State education rates made operation challenging in offering most competitive wages & benefits but CEO remained on top of this out of true concern for the children, families & staff.

Advice to Management

Continue your commitment to providing the best and do not take to heart the negative feedback of people who are/were not a fit for Little Lukes' vision & mission.

"Heading in the WRONG direction."

I worked at Little Lukes Childcare Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fellow staff members were amazing for the most part. The director who recently left was fantastic. Anyone who was there only for a pay check and not for the children were weeded out pretty quickly. Staff and director were always supportive and helpful. The program itself is wonderful. Integrated preschool programs are a wonderful tool to prepare children for school and everyday life.

Cons

Upper management does not know or care to know the staff. With one exception they come across as cold and unfriendly. Parents complain that they feel uncomfortable when they have interact with upper management and that it is glaringly apparent that the motivating factor for the owners is not to better prepare our children for the future as it should be, but is simply to make the most money possible. There are staff members there that have very good performance reviews on file that have not been given raises that have been promised for the past year with no change. Employees with no instances of verbal or written disciplinary actions are being fired with not so much as a conversation and employees are threatened not to speak of any changes to the families of the children that they teach. This does not foster trust or assuredness in the parents who trust Little Luke's and it's employees to care for their children. Also, unwilling to spend money for classroom supplies that the teachers need. Many teachers in the building use their own money to buy crayons,markers,painting supplies & all supplies needed for parent gifts when the holidays roll around. Recently, management took the color copier out of the center's business office. So, all black and white lessons, photos and projects in a PRESCHOOL. Very sad.

Advice to Management

Get it together. Parents trust the people in your centers to take care of their beloved children. You have many people that work for you that have never felt appreciated by you. They work in fear of your 300 point checklist that you inspect with every year. Get to know the people working for you! With perhaps a few exceptions out there, people who have such a strong passion for devoting themselves to children are usually pretty great people to know.

"Any good reviews are management telling lies"

Former Employee - Special Education in Oswego, NY
    Former Employee - Special Education in Oswego, NY

I worked at Little Lukes Childcare Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can quit and are not forced to work there.

Cons

starts as you walk in door, read other honest reviews, any good reviews are done by some one in management and they are total lies. All management cares about is makeing money for themselfs, none for doing work. They make it so you cant make any hours and never any breaks for employees.

Advice to Management

Sell it to some who is human.

"Putting in my Notice"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fulton, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fulton, NY

I have been working at Little Lukes Childcare Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Newer co-workers are helpful and overall staff will try to answer any questions. The kids are wonderful! Adequate materials.

Cons

Horrible work environment. No breaks for lunch. Have to find a minute to use the bathroom if possible. Unrealistic expectations for performance. Emphasis is not on the children or effective therapy, but on the amount of money made. Lack of appropriate work space. Communication between employee and administration is nonexistent. Directors are focused on micromanaging and overlook safe and appropriate education.

Advice to Management

Stop! There is no evidence of sincere interest in children. The term "Kiddos" is not cute, but rather, condensending. Lack of respect and regard for the opinions of your skilled professionals is inexcusable.

"Do not recommend"

I worked at Little Lukes Childcare Center part-time

Pros

They are very accommodating as far as your schedule. If you need to change it around or have time off, they try hard to make it happen.

Cons

Terrible pay, no raises. No respect from management. You are just a number to them and easily replaceable. They just stop scheduling people as a way to get rid of them. Unless you become bff with the director you're a nobody. After seeing the environment the kids are in I wouldn't ever send my child there. The a/c breaks down in the dead of summer, windows leak, bugs find their way in, food is horrible that is served, etc.

Advice to Management

Be more respectful of your employees. They're the ones making you your big bucks. Take better care of your center, its the kids that are suffering. And without the kids and your employees, you have nothing. Don't be so cheap. Pay what the people deserve.

"Fulton Little Lukes Lacks Good Management"

Current Employee - I: I Aide for Special Needs Child in Fulton, NY
    Current Employee - I: I Aide for Special Needs Child in Fulton, NY

I have been working at Little Lukes Childcare Center (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you love working with children, this place has some great kids!

Cons

Low Pay, No raises, poor hours, hours can be cut at any time by employer, Employee turnover is very, very high!, No room for advancement, little recognition for a job well done.

Advice to Management

Value your local employees because we know your clients personally.